main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph SFF Writer's Guild Writing Contest 2: April/May 2006 -- Results Inside

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by droideka27, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Welcome to the SFF Writers' Guild Writing Contest!

2. RULES:

3. - Entries must be entirely original stories written by the submitting author within the contest period, based on that month's prompt (see below).

- Entries must be either science fiction or fantasy stories. Either genre is acceptable, as well as subgenres.

- Fan fiction (stories based on pre-existing characters or worlds from film, television, or books, including but not limited to Star Wars) is not accepted.

- This contest is open to all registered posters of the Jedi Council Forums. You do not have to be a regular poster in the SFF Writer's Guild thread in order to enter this contest.

- Entries must adhere to the JC Terms of Service. If you have a question if your story or a story element is within the TOS, PM the host or a sponsoring moderator to ask. Stories that violate the Terms of Service in any way will be disqualified. Keep it clean!

- From the date of the prompt (April 11) you have approximately one month to write you story (deadline is May 13). You may submit your story any time, but it is recommended that even if you finish early, you take the remaining time to revise and strengthen your story.

- Final entries have a minimum wordcount of 2000 words, and a maximum wordcount of 8000 words.

- Entries must be submitted in a common text format (Microsoft Word, .txt, or .rtf) and emailed to the contest host at droideka27@gmail.com

4. JUDGING:

5. - Entries will be judged by a group of volunteer judges, to be selected by the host. The number of judges will be no fewer than 3. Ideally, I'd like to have 5 or 6 or even more.

- Entries will be distributed to the judges without the names of the authors.

- Judges will score each entry out of 10 possible points in several categories:
    <li>Overall Creativity
  6. Writing Ability

7. Grammar/Mechanics

8. Use of the prompt

9. Entertainment Value

10. The scores for each story will then be averaged, and the story with the highest score will be deemed the winner.

- Along with the score, each judge must write a brief paragraph describing why s/he chose their particular scores. These paragraphs should be honest, but constructive.

- Judges must read all stories assigned to them in full.

- Judges will have ONE week to submit their scores. Any judge who does not fulfill his or her commitment will not be allowed to participate in the contest in any form the next time around. People were counting on you!

- Judges may not submit an entry for contest period in which they are judging.

11. DISCUSSION:

12. - Once judging has concluded, the stories will be made available for public viewing, unless the author specifically requests otherwise. This thread will then facilitate any discussion about any of the stories, until the next contest comes around.

13. I want to write!

14. - Take note of the deadline (May 13) and the prompt (see below) and write away! Remember to email your submission to me at droideka27@gmail.com.

15. I want to judge!

16. - Make sure you are available for one week starting May 13 to read and judge. Make sure you are willing to give me an email address. You will be notified by PM as well when the email is sent out. If you wish to judge, simply PM me and ask. I will accept judges at any time up until the contest deadline.... so if you meant to write but ran out of time, why not judge?

17. WINNERS:

18. The winning author will receive VIP status, title, and choice of colors for one full week.

After winning, an author may enter a story into the following month's contest. If the same author wins twice consecutively, s/he will not be permitted to submit an entry for the third month in a row, and will have to wait for the next contest after that.

19. BRIEF RECAP:

20. - Entries are

21. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    Hooray new contest!

I am definetely going to try to enter this time. Last time I did not get a chance to write a story because I had a bunch of ridiculous projects. Well, I also have a bunch of ridiculous projects now, but I am going to write a story anyway! Hopefully!

Good prompt!!

22. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    That was quick :p

I'll probably enter this one - thank heavens it doesn't collide with exams.

23. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I'll think about entering this one [face_thinking]

24. LordNeo

LordNeo Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2004
    great prompt, it goes along with a novel Im trying to write.

Im definately entering this round.

:)

25. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    I'll probably enter this one - thank heavens it doesn't collide with exams.

Yeah, i was aiming to get the deadline before everyone's finals. It may be tight for a few, but it should cover most

26. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    This looks like a fun prompt!! I would love to judge again, but the judging week is the week before my exams, and I'll be cramming 8-}

Good luck to all!!

27. Sanctimoniously

Sanctimoniously Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2005
    **flexes creative fingers**

I'm going to have fun with this...

28. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Write a story which somehow involves a war that affects the characters in some manner.

*rubs hands together in devilish glee*

:p

29. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I´m happy to judge again and have PM´d Droideka to let her know.

Good to see that we are on the way quickly.

30. Sanctimoniously

Dec 28, 2005
    What's this thread doing on Page 2?

31. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Ooh, I have a story that I've already started with this same prompt. Let's see if I can actually get it done in time.

32. LordNeo

LordNeo Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2004
    we have like a week, and Ive only written a few paragraphs :(

has anyone even written anything yet?

33. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    I hit 4000 words with mine yesterday. Go me [face_dancing]

34. Sanctimoniously

Dec 28, 2005
    I've got somewhere in the neighbourhood of 1500 words, but then again, I've been wrapped up in stuff lately.

Chance would have that my home Internet connection has been removed due to the lack of paying of the bill, so I will probably be away until at least the fifteenth.

35. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    Good job guys, glad to see some people are making progress. I know it's a busy time of the year. Don't forget, if you run out of time to write, judging is always fun!

36. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    I've been doing what I always do which I call "thinking about it" but which is really more like mentally running through the plot and and so on to try and find the really whopping big holes and fill them before I start writing. So while I haven't actually written a word yet. I do hope to finish an entry again. On time this time. ;)

KD

37. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    As long as there is at least 3 entries, we will not be extending the deadline. 1 week to go!

38. Rose_Skywalker

Rose_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2002

why do i always find out about these last minute? I'm going to try to enter, but this is finals week for me (and graduation on the 13th!)

39. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    I didn't get many entries, but I am closing it anyways. This is a busy time of year for everyone. Anyone who wishes to judge (except the one that already signed up) please PM me and let me know.

We will try one more contest, in a few, that take splace over summer so all our high school and college people are mostly free. If that has low turn out, we'll be stopping this.

40. ImpMarchFace

ImpMarchFace Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2005
    Is the contest closed?

41. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    May 13th was the deadline!

I entered a story but I am not sure about it, as I had the idea worked out in my brain for about a week but I kind of wrote the entire thing in three hours last night in order to make the deadline. eek.

42. the_wandering_shadow

the_wandering_shadow Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    Hopefully I can give this a shot next time.

43. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

I can't believe that I'm the only judge so far.

I also can't believe how low turnout has been on this especially considering how many fanfic writers we have and how many people are posting in the writers guild.

Still if it continues to fail to get off the ground for the next one then I agree it should be closed. It'll be a shame though as I enjoyed the stories I read last time and I'm looking forwards to the next bunch.

44. Sanctimoniously

Dec 28, 2005
    **bangs head against wall**

Stupid cable bill... [face_frustrated]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.