Amph SFF Writer's Guild Writing Contest: February 2006

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by DorkmanScott, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediNemesis Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm owning up. I suspect the L word, rhymes with "haziness" was a big factor here. I started, got some stuff down, left it a bit. Next thing: hey, I've still got 2 weeks/a week/6/5/4/3/2/1 days/4 hours/2 hours . . . and then realising that crap, I've left it too late and I haven't got the strength of will to pull an all-nighter and get the damn thing in.

Schoolwork, you have a reverse incentive to get work done - that is, if you don't, you get in trouble. So as this is a "contest", how about we make a sign-up list beforehand, and then anyone who doesn't hand in their piece on time serves a 24-hour game ban? :p

Either that, or cut the time available drastically. A week. Hell, with what Dorkman said (correctly) most of us could probably force out 2,000 words in a couple of days. If we had a near-constant flow of prompts and entries, then a) there'd be less hype about individual contests, b) it wouldn't matter so much if people didn't do them all, and c) it'd be an incredibly difficult and thankless task to organise, so maybe people could take turns. Or just run it as an exercise, and have a well-advertised 'championship round' with colours every month or so . . .

I'm very much just rattling off ideas as they come into my head here, mainly because I feel guilty and want to go and skulk somewhere. (Also because I've just realised I must've written a good 300 words in this post, and as such proved Dorkman's point for him to my own embarrassment).

In the cause of trying to keep this first month alive, however, I move for a one-week extension, on the condition that those who submit during the extension period are ineligible for colours, on the grounds of their being a looong way in the wrong here.

And, before I go and hide, I'd like to thank Dorkman, for taking the time to oversee this; and to apologise on my own behalf and hopefully that of other would-be entrants for spoiling what should have been pretty good fun.
  2. FatBurt Force Ghost

star 5
    I happy for there to be an extension.

I know that (if chosen as a judge) I would want to read more than one entry.

I also think a sign up is an idea with a 24 hour ban if you don't submit on time.

Most games usually have some sort of "danger" risk to it so why not make it failure to complete = 24hr ban because we can't really ban someone for getting a poor score now can we.......[face_thinking]
  3. RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I don't think the threat of a ban would be a positive motivator. We want people to enter and complete the task because they want to, not because they're afraid. ;)
  4. ImpMarchFace Jedi Knight

star 1
    I intended on turning in an entry, but I honestly forgot about this contest. I come to this forum and read things pretty often, but I haven't seen this thread in a while. That would've reminded me. If there's an extension, I can probably churn something out within a day. I certainly had ideas, I just never got them down on paper.
  5. Coruscant Chosen One

star 7
    Okay, how about this!

Let's extend the due-date. Before we start quibbling all over again about the contest, let's give the current format just one last shot. Just in case. Just to be sure. Just to be able to avoid the "what if we had..." factor.

I say we extend it another three weeks, to March 14th or 15th?

The two people who submitted will also be given this additional time to revamp and revise their stories, so they retain their advantage for having theirs in on the duedate.

Just a suggestion.

EDIT: Nvm, JN already suggested it. [face_blush] And she's right... make it a shorter extension. People feel guilty now, take advantage of that!

6. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Are the two who finished their entries all right with an extension? Since you did the work in the time allotted, it's up to you whether to extend a grace period to anyone else. You will of course get the opportunity to revise your stories and re-submit them with the extra time available.

If they both agree, then I'll allow the extension.

M. Scott
  7. Andalite-Bandit Jedi Master

star 6
    The extension would be a neat idea.

DorkmanScott, I have to say though, I really disagree with your implication that one can write a quality story in three or four hours. Maybe if you don't put much thought into and are trying to write 2000 words as fast as you can, I guess, but a good story? I don't think so.
  8. Sanctimoniously Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    My vote goes for an extension, because schoolwork really prevented me from getting very much done on it.
  9. DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Dorkman Scott,

Thanks a lot for having the perspective and insight to ask me and whoever else had a submission for our approval. It would've been really, really aggravating if you'd just tossed the old rules out the window to those of us who followed them.

And what of an extension? How about next Sunday at midnight? That way, everybody who was genuinely working on a story would then have a full weekened to conceptualize and complete it. It's bad for the forum and, not to get too philsophical or anything, it's also a bad life lesson if you're too lenient.

Hey, it's not my contest. Since it's the first time, a little beta-testing in the souls of the wannabe applicants seems totally fine. But in general when the rules of the game are suddenly altered in a fundamental way, it's just unsettling (like, say, watching a Super Bowl and seeing a Seattle Seahawks touchdown called back for no apparent reason.)

So I'm cool with a one-week extension.
  10. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    That's a fair point to make, and I have to agree.

Alright, one vote for a one week, one-time extension on the contest deadline.

If I was out of line earlier in my comments, let me apologize publically. This isn't a stressful or high-pressure contest for me to host, as I essentially step aside for several weeks at a time. But when it comes to all talk and no action, in any form...well, to call it a pet peeve would be putting it extremely mildly. I'm not upset because of any personal inconvenience so much as a powerful disappointment. But if in that I said anything that offended anyone, I apologize for that.

M. Scott
  11. BigE Jedi Master

star 4
    I had already proposed a one-week extension actually, and so with DBrennan3333's approval you now have the green light.
  12. Coruscant Chosen One

star 7
    Wait... so, Brennan you, BigE, are the two that submitted?

The extension's official?
  13. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    So be it.

For the February 2006 Writer's Competition, all entrants have an additional week past the original deadline.

Entries are now due at sffwritingcontest@gmail.com by 11:59 PM February 28. As of March 1, entries will no longer be accepted.

Get to it, ladies and gentlemen!

M. Scott
  14. JediNemesis Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks enormously for the extension, and to the punctual entrants for putting up with the lazy ones. :)

Dorkman, I don't think anyone took your comments earlier personally. Let's say you were just pretty accurate, and that always hurts . . .

EDIT: Well, it does to a guilty conscience, anyway. :_|
  15. BigE Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, I posted the following: Well, I shot off a submission. I had to really hurry it along to get it in on time, so I hope it doesn?t suck too badly.

Now I get a day or two to look it over. I don't know if I'll be revising it too much.
  16. CodyMonKenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    So do we have to PM this to someone or post it in this board, I am deffinatly in. I have A short story I wrote three years ago at basic training that I have been waiting to have read.
  17. Rose_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4

I totally would have done this competition, but since i only just found out about it today, i'm going to have to wait until next months challenege. I'm going to be gone all weekend (missing the Beyond Fanfic awards too), and there is no way i can get a story done by march 1st. I feel like better publicity would get more people involved.
  18. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    No, you have to email it, and you hav to have started it after Feb 1.
  19. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Exactly. If you want feedback, post it instead in the Writer's Guild thread.

M. Scott
  20. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    I just found out about this today, but it looks fun! I'll see what I can get done. :)
  21. Sionnach-Airgid Jedi Youngling

I just found this also, but I'll see if I can give it a shot, although I might have to wait until the next contest.

*scurries off to start writing . . .*
  22. FatBurt Force Ghost

star 5
    Last day today everybody.
  23. JediNemesis Jedi Master

star 4
    15 hours and 20 minutes to go!

Come on . . . please . . . let's have some company here. :p
  24. RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I'm really looking forward to a better turnout this time around. Please don't disappoint. ;)
  25. JediNemesis Jedi Master

star 4
    Did you enter?

:p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.