main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph SFF Writer's Guild Writing Contest: February 2006

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by DorkmanScott, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    Yeah, what they ^ said. I tried to say that a couple of days ago but I couldn't get a post to work all weekend.

I had intended to offer up a plate of brownies with my thanks to the judges so here they are (baked a fresh batch this morning since the ones from Saturday might be a bit stale by now):

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/knightd/misc/brownie.jpg]

They look a bit squished to me - sorry about that - I'll try to do better next time.

My deepest appreciation for the hard work you are doing, judges. You're awesome!

KD

2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    A quick note of apologies to everyone.

I was called away through work and have been away from my home PC for the past 3 days and so I have not had chance to send in my reviews.

They are complete bar my final summing up which I'll finish off when I get back home.

I'll be posting my results through to Dorkman tomorrow so after then the final results etc... will be down to him.

I hope you'll accept my apology and not shout at me too much for being a little tardy :)

3. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    RL getting in the way, again. [face_plain] Sorry to hear about the extra work, MFB - hope the getting called away didn't cause too much trouble.

Apology accepted, Master FatBurt. [/Vader] :p

Hey, good luck for the Barrow match on Saturday . . . I heard something on the radio - aren't they playing the Conference North leaders? So good luck :)

4. DBrennan3333

DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    I was just wondering when the results were going to be announced. I thought they said March 28, but I couldn't find where I'd read that, so here I am asking.

Thanks.

5. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    The results are to be with Dorkman for 28th and he will post the results back when he's collated it all together.

Unforetunately Darth RL has kicked me in the nuts and delayed me at the most inappropriate time due to work. I was going to get the result in last night but I ended up working late as I'm off on my hols on Sunday so I didn't get home till 11pm UK time and I went straight to bed.

I at work again now (posting :D ) but as all my notes and writeups are at home I can't get them out just yet. I WILL be finished by 5pm tonight and when I get home I'll proof read, add any extra note I feel I need to add and will get the results emailed to Dorkman.

Again sorry for the delay on my part but works been a killer lately.

6. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    So would I be correct in assuming all the scores are in now? :confused:

7. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    I've given honest thanks and compliments to Dorkman Scott and the judges....but I have to say that this is ridiculous. It's been, what, five or six weeks? Is it really THAT big a deal to read stories and then tally the opinions of the readers?

And how about an update every week or so. "Hey guys. It'll be another couple of weeks." "Things are coming along nicely." "All the entries were eaten by a virus in my computer."

Something. Anything?

8. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    I agree with DBrennan - I mean, we'll wait, but it'd be nice to know where we are :)

9. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I´m in Portugal currently.

Although late I did send the Dorkman my scores but as the latest comms update says, he´s just recently stepped down from modding due to time issues so this could have an effect here. I can´t comment for the other judges.

As a suggestion (which isn´t the best I´ll admit) how about we wait till I´m back from my holidays (April 16th) If no official scores have been posted by then which will be a monumentous lapse in decorum by everyone (excluding me :D ) then I´ll post my scores and if agreement is inplace by all competitors etc.. I´ll happliy be commish/host/judge for the next competition should everyone want to take part.

Hopefully scores will be up soon and everyonhe can save face but if not then I´ll be happy to oblige. I think this game has the potential to have a lot going for it but it needs the support which Dorkman can now no longer give and I don´t know the circumstances of other mods to comment.

I´m sure Dorkman hasn´t intentionally kept you all waiting and I´m sure he´ll have something up soon.

Either way I´ll be online every 3-4 days whilst I´m on holiday but as I don´t have may scores I can´t post them till the 16th at the very earliest (Then is doubtyful as well as I´ll only have arrived home then but if it´s insisted I´ll do my best)

I´ll apologise for all for the delays and hopefully some scores will be up soon.

Cheers

MFB

10. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Aargh, the suspense is unbearable!! :_|

11. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    *grabs brownie* Yum :)

I'm pretty sure that Fatburt and I are the only judges, unless DorkmanScott got ahold of the third judge . . .

I sent in the scores and comments a couple weeks ago, two or three days before the deadline. I didn't do a breakdown of the scores, and Dorkman sent me a PM asking me for it, but he asked me yesterday and I sent it off a couple hours ago. I don't know why he didn't ask me sooner. Other than that, Fatburt and I don't know why the scores haven't been posted, because we did send them in on time. You'll have to ask Dorkman.

12. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    I sent a PM to him this morning, and I never got a response. I checked to see if he got it, and it said he opened it.

So... yeah.

13. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    I don't know that it is directly comparable but based on my experience trying to come up with insightful questions for an interview thread after reading an author's work, the time span for the judging is not unreasonable. It sounds like the judges have done a lot of work in coming up with their scores and the reasoning behind them so I'm not surprised that that would take a while. And I am the poster child for real life interferring with time on the boards so I sympathize there as well. One can't always predict what will come up unfortunately.

KD

14. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    I didn't get to enter this round, but I still have to chime in and say the 400,000 year wait to get the results is a bit ridiculous. And the contest host reading a PM about the contest he is hosting and not replying...uh...what?

Maybe when changes are being discussed for the next round in this contest we might want to consider having a host who replies to messages or something. Just a suggestion!

15. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    I think Dorkman's more to be pitied than censured here. According to the latest from the Mod Squad, he's already had to reduce his modding duties due to time problems, so I guess that we're not at the top of his priority list.

There are many things that we can discuss/change for the next contest, but maybe we should let this one come to a happy ending first?

16. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I agree. Let's drop this topic, wait patiently for the scores (believe it or not, we want them too--we don't know what the other scored, or who wrote which) and if you have complaints, then wait until the post-contest discussion.

17. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    As if we have any other choice in the matter.

We were told the scores would be in weeks ago. It might just be howling at the moon, but I think those of us who had entries have every right to complain.

18. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Please make no mistake: No one has any right to complain.

I am doing this in my free time, as a volunteer. As a matter of fact, I DIDN'T volunteer for this, I was asked to do this. Again, in my free time. Which is a commodity I have not had much of.

The entrants didn't get their part of the competition done on time, and they received an extension.

The judges weren't ready in time, and they received an extension.

I see no reason that I should not be allowed to get this done in my own time. If you've got a problem with it, suck it up and deal. If anyone had paid for this, you'd have a right to complain. As it is, you don't.

If you want to call for another host for next time, that's fine. Someone else can deal with your ingratitude and I can relinquish that responsibility happily.

M. Scott

19. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Alright, you've addressed our "ingratitude", now why don't you give us a timeframe on when we can see some results?

20. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    Why? Because I don't like your attitude in asking for it, that's why.

They'll go up when I have the chance to put them up. That's when. Hopefully soon.

M. Scott

21. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    Don't you just have to like, take three sets of numbers and add them together? What else has to be done?

22. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Yeah, anyways.... if there is a user that wants to get the next contest started and act as host, please PM me and let me know. I'll ask that you allow me to giveinput as to what prompt or whatever you chose, as acting forum moderator... or if you guys want, I'd be happy to just get one started for the second time around.

I really don't think you have the right to be snippy at people who are only upset because they receive NO INFORMATION from you. It's one thing to say "I'm sorry, I'm busy, please wait another week, I'll have it up ____." But you're not even trying to do that.

23. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Dorkman: I've given you no attitude. I sent you a polite, but to-the-point (only one sentence!) PM that never got a response either. Sorry if you took offense somewhere where none was meant. ;)

I would be interesting in hosting, but I'd much rather stay in the competition for a few more rounds.

I don't think we should lose faith in this yet. Great things require great effort. We've made a few blunders obviously, but this competition is comparitively precendental (in the context of the board) so it's to be expected.

24. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    Master Fatburt's reviews [note: Author's names were added to this post and were unknown to the judges]:

First off I'm going to say that I've read all the entries twice.

I'm not going to be grading on grammar. I've decided against this as some stories work best with a bit of broken syntax in there and sometimes the story requires it.

I would ask everyone to understand that entertainment value is down to individual perspective as well. I may really enjoy the style of one persons writing but the story may just not hook me but another "similar" story may hook me but I could find the writing stilted.

I have reviewed each story individually and have not marked them against one another. The marking I have given are based on my feelings on the story itself not as a comparison against another.

Reviews

[u]Entry 1 - Coruscant[/u] [b]36/50[/b]

Creativity [b]8[/b]

A good idea based around a popular theme, instead of giving us all the details of how and what was found we were just left with the aftermath and the length that people will go to in an attempt to save themselves. Cliffhanger ending was a nice touch

Writing Ability [b]6[/b]

Pretty good, there were a few eye rolling cliche moments for me but on the whole it was strong enough to carry the story through well enough for me. Not brilliant but perfectly passable

Grammar/Mechanics [b]7[/b]

Flowing style, good story presentation and well structured. Aside from a few cliches it was well presented and well written

Prompt Use [b]7[/b]

Simple and effective, no reference to time though

Entertainment [b]8[/b]

I enjoyed this, the story was a different slant from what I was expecting after I read the title. No direct references but I felt there was a little Stargate influence it here not that that's a bad thing as there was no plagiarism and adapting ideas can be a good thing if done well and this was certainly a good effort

[u]Entry 2 - Sanctimoniously[/u] [b]37/50[/b]

Creativity [b]6[/b]

Sci-Fi/Fantasy boards so I should have expected heavy Sci-Fi influence. This was very reminiscent of Doom or similar but with a bit of the old squad based action going on. Not the most original piece of work I've seen if I'm honest.

Writing Ability [b]9[/b]

Written in first person, I consider this a very hard style to write (I know all my attempts at this style have failed miserably) I also consider it to be the most enjoyable style to read. This was a well-written version and one you should be proud of

Grammar/Mechanics [b]7[/b]

Well written, well laid out. It did draw me in to be honest and although creatively it's not the most original piece it used what it had to the best of it's advantage

Prompt Use [b]6[/b]

Straight forwards but a touch obvious considering the stories setting.

Entertainment [b]9[/b]

I really enjoyed this one, I have a soft spot for stories with a tragic ending and with it being written in the first person was a double winner for me. Doom style setting aside, the fact that I was drawn in and was dragged though to the tragic but well written ending speaks volumes for the way this writer used their own ability to make a simple story enjoyable.

[u]Entry 3 - Knight_Dilettante[/u] [b]42/50[/b]

Creativity [b]9[/b]

Excellent idea here. They took a simple and well used idea but strong restraints on the theory. There was none of the usual "you can't do that because" or "We'll do that and hang the consequences" I really liked the idea on this one

Writing Ability [b]9[/b]

Very good, descriptive and informative throughout but without long runs of exposition or overrunning narrative that can often interfere with the story itself.

Grammar/Mechanics [b]8[/b]

Well written and laid out. The story fills itself out nicely and didn't use traditional tricks of leaving you with some random bit of information only to comeback to it later when you'd forgotten about it.

Prompt Use [b]7[/b]

Simple, No reference to time which was required by the prompt though.

Entert

25. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    NYCitygurl's results:

[u]
    Entry 1 - Coruscant[/u]: [b]30/50[/b]

[li]Overall Creativity: 5[/li]
    [li]Writing Ability: 5[/li]
    [li]Grammar/Mechanics: 5[/li]
    [li]Use of the prompt: 10[/li]
    [li]Entertainment Value: 5[/li]

The grammar could have used some help; especially spacing. When writing for the internet, it's best to leave a blank line between paragraphs. Even if it wasn't for the internet, the start of the paragraph should be indented.

The story was interesting, and I liked the end, but there wasn't really any fantasy or sci-fi elements in it other that a couple mentions of Atlantis, which may or may not count. There was also a major "ick" factor with the cannibalism and executions, as well a description of torture, that weren't really appreciated. In future works, try to tone that down a little.

You have lots of potential for writing, and I urge you to do more of it. However, this needed to have some sci-fi/fantasy in it, and your story was lacking that, so I had to dock some points. The multiple mentions of trillions of dollars got a little repetitive, as well. It somehow lacked a realistic feel. Even sci-fi and fantasy have to have some basis in possibility, and your fiction piece had too much that went the king's way; managing to kill the media and world leaders was a bit too much.

[u]Entry 2 - Sanctimoniously[/u]: [b]40/50[/b]

[li]Overall Creativity: 8[/li]
    [li]Writing Ability: 8[/li]
    [li]Grammar/Mechanics: 10[/li]
    [li]Entertainment Value: 6[/li]

This was an easy and enjoyable read with a nice ending. Your skill with writing weapons and combat is excellent. However, you might not want to have so much technology and so many weapons in future writing, because the different kinds were confusing band took away from the story. Anyone not familiar with technology, weapons, and the military will have a bit of a hard time with this.

You also need to work on your flow. They sentences seemed somewhat unconnected on some places, which made the story seem to jerk around a lot. Work on that a bit, and keep writing.

[u]
    Entry 3 - Knight_Dilettante[/u]: [b]43/50[/b]

[li]Overall Creativity: 9[/li]
    [li]Writing Ability: 9[/li]
    [li]Grammar/Mechanics: 6[/li]
    [li]Entertainment Value: 9[/li]

Your strength obviously lies in detail, because you had wonderful descriptions. The plot was interesting, though I would have liked to know why the character was seeing her own face at the end; that was a bit confusing.

Your mistakes were mostly grammatical. You had several sentence fragments, and a ton of coma errors. Also, when writing numbers, spell them out ("five" instead of "5"). I look forward to seeing more of your writing in the future.

[u]Entry 4 - DBrennan3333[/u]: [b]24/50[/b]

[li]Overall Creativity: 10[/li]
    [li]Writing Ability: 7[/li]
    [li]Grammar/Mechanics: 5[/li]
    [li]Use of the prompt: 0[/li]
    [li]Entertainment Value: 7[/li]

(5 points deducted for exceeding wordcount)

That was a very interesting and original concept. There were moments that truly scared me to think of, and some that were very powerful. However, it was lacking flow; it was a bit choppy.

The paragraph spacing was off; either indent, like you were writing and English paper, or up a blank line between each paragraph, which is the commonly accepted way to write for the Internet. You also had some major capitalization errors. I took off points for going over the word count, but your biggest mistake was not using the prompt at all, which cost you a lot.

You did a god job with Darren's emotions and feelings, but you need to work on your flow.

[u]Entry 5 - BigE[/u]: [b]44/50[/b]

[li]Overall Creativity: 9[/li]
    [li]Writing Ability: 10[/li]
    [li]Grammar/Mechanics: 6[/li]
    [li]Entertainment Value: 9[/li]

This was a very entertaining story, if a bit confusing. The bit about the aliens was sort of sudden, and you had tons of comma errors. However, you made good use of the prompt, and your

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.