main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph SFFBC Writing Contest v.6 - we have a winner!!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by NYCitygurl, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Welcome to the 6th SFFBC writing contest.

After a long hiatus, we?re starting this up again. I?m going to be hosting this time. The rules below are pretty much it. Please look them over and PM me or post here if you have any questions. Many thanks to the former hosts, who drew some of these up.

- Entries must be entirely original stories written by the submitting author within the contest period, based on that month's prompt (see below).

- Entries must be either science fiction or fantasy stories. Either genre is acceptable, as well as subgenres.

- Fan fiction (stories based on pre-existing characters or worlds from film, television, or books, including but not limited to Star Wars) is not accepted.

- This contest is open to all registered posters of the Jedi Council Forums. You do not have to be a regular poster in SFFBC in order to enter this contest.

- Entries have to be complete stories, not just a part of a larger story, unless it could be published as a short story on its own (in other words, doesn't mention any other plotlines or conflicts).

- Entries must adhere to the JC Terms of Service and the Fan Fiction FAQ (V. What can I post in story forums?). If you have a question if your story or a story element is within the TOS, PM NYCitygurl to ask. Stories that violate the Terms of Service in any way will be disqualified. Keep it clean!

- From the date of the prompt (April 3, 2008) you have approximately five weeks to write your story (deadline is May 15 at midnight board time). You may submit your story any time, but it is recommended that even if you finish early, you take the remaining time to revise and strengthen your story. If you submit early and wish to make changes or switch entries, you may do so.

- Final entries have a minimum wordcount of 2000 words, and a maximum wordcount of 10000 words.

- Final entries must be PMed to NYCitygurl. You may only submit one entry.

If you would like to judge, please PM me before May 31. If you originally intended to write but never got around to it, you can judge if you let me know on time.

Judges will score each entry out of 10 possible points in several categories:

• Overall Creativity

• Writing Ability

• Grammar/Mechanics

• Use of the prompt

• Entertainment Value

The scores for each story will then be averaged, and the story with the highest score will be deemed the winner. The judging time will depend upon the number of entries. Judges may not submit entries.

Once judging has concluded, the stories will be made available for public viewing, unless the author specifically requests otherwise.

The winning author will receive VIP status, title, and choice of colors for one full week. If a mod wins, then the runner-up gets the colors.

PROMPT:

First sentence:

[insert name here] took a deep breath.

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    [face_dancing][face_dancing]

I've been waiting for this for a while, and I really hope things work out this time. [face_peace] Long live writing contests!

*goes to catch a few plot bunnies*

3. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    The prompt is nice and open. :D

4. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    Wow! I didn't think it'd be up so soon. But the prompt is nice and vague. Hopefully a bunny'll show up in the trap I set.

5. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    All right. I will see what my muse does for me for this. Writing to commence soon I hope.

6. Sanctimoniously

Sanctimoniously Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2005
    Prompt? Check.

Word fired up? Check.

Coca-Cola? Check.

Cigarettes? Check.

Led Zeppelin? Check.

We're showing green across the board.

7. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    I might give this a go. Not sure if I'll make the deadline though :p

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Come on!! You've got 5 weeks (because I've got AP exams at the original four-week deadline :p ).

9. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    *rubs hands together in anticipation* Muaha, I am quite excited for this. I shall start plotting. :D

10. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    I'll just remind you that I'm nearly Ravenclaw-ish in terms of procrastination (see: when the last time I updated Panic was... :p )

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Meh, true :p

12. Darth_Manion

Darth_Manion Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 5, 2007
    Count me in - I've already got a crazy story cooking up in my head already. [face_thinking]

13. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    I'll see if I can come up with something. :)

14. Sanctimoniously

Sanctimoniously Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2005
    The nifty Word Count toolbar says 701 words!

15. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Good. I've got a few ideas smashing around in the old noggin. Let's see what comes out.

16. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Five weeks, eh? I'm sure I can rustle up something in that time. The only question is, what? [face_thinking]

17. NightSword

NightSword Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 25, 2008
    Hmm....I have an idea...and then I realized that it's another rather depressing storyline, and literally all my non Face of a Warrior writing so far have been depressing :)

Maybe enough coffee and suger plus an all-nighter over break next week might be enough for some more humorous inspiration...or maybe not.

18. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Hm... I may be able to do this.

19. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I'll definately be doing this. I haven't written an original piece in years. This is going to be quite a challenge.

What exactly is a subgenre, by the way?

20. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    ^ Genre within a genre. Like, cyberpunk is a subgenre of sci-fi, that sort of thing :)

The deadline's long enough that I should be able to cook something up. Count me in!

21. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    Woo hoo! I'm looking forward to writing something like you wouldn't believe...after NANOWRIMO, I haven't done anything creative :_|

22. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    I too am thinking about entering the contest, although I have a pretty busy schedule. If I don't submit an entry in time, I would be interested in judging.

Question....since you are the host of the game NYCitygurl, can you participate in the contest as well?

23. the_wandering_shadow

the_wandering_shadow Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    Wow. This was fast! I have an idea-- unwritten because it's so blastedly vague in my head -- that might start perfectly this way. Five weeks will be enough.

24. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    *dances* Yes, yes!

When I woke up this morning and checked the trap, there was a bunny inside!

Now my only problem is seeing if I can squelch it into just 10K words, and make it readable as a standalone...

25. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Still have a question, though.
    10.000 words aren't a lot of words to work with and I'm hoping to squash a decent story into such a small frame. So does the story have to be complete in itself?

I'm guessin yes, since it wouldn't make too much sense otherwise.
    It's not so much the ideas, it's the 10K I might have a problem with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.