Amph SFFBC Writing Contest v.6 - we have a winner!!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by NYCitygurl, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediNemesis Jedi Master

star 4
  2. silverfighter Force Ghost

star 4
    So I finally got to get to work on my story... I have a paragraph. [face_plain] :p
  3. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    If you're old, what does that make me? :(
  4. Ceillean Force Ghost

star 5
    So, since I'm at a low point in writing right now :rolleyes:, I was wondering what you use as inspiration for your story?

I've never written Fantasy before, so this is definately a challenge for me, and I've been listening to a whole lot of "fantasy music". Myst Soundtracks, Guildwars Soundtracks, Dune/Children of Dune Soundtracks, that kind of stuff. It's beautiful music and I get a few ideas but it then it stops. [face_plain]

What do you do to get ideas flowing? Without trying to borrow from other books/movies/series/games?
  5. Ultima_1 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Mine is actually a part of the backstory of a larger universe I've written stuff in before, but only a couple of the characters are the same.

I was finally able to get started yesterday with a couple scenes.
  6. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    If you're looking for CDs, I think Robert Jordan put together a CD of the music he listened to to inspire him (though I'm blanking on the title, it was probably Wheel of Time Music or something).
  7. Sanctimoniously Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I won't lie: Sometimes I do drink, enough to get a good buzz going. It allows me to concentrate on the writing (and create more interesting stuff) without all the distractions my mind would otherwise create.
  8. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    How is everyone doing so far?

IMPORTANT - deadline changed from May 12 to 15.

Not because anyone asked for it, but because my last AP is the 13th and I want to make it easier on myself :p
  9. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    Thank you, Nat!

I haven't written anything yet except for a few scattered ideas in my mind, so the deadline change definitely makes things easier (doesn't change the fact that I have my English ISU essay due on May 16th, but whatever... I'll deal with the massive amount of writing I have to get done, somehow... :p )
  10. Sanctimoniously Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Two more days to procrastinate! :D
  11. silverfighter Force Ghost

star 4
    That's very good, I still only have a few paragraphs. :oops:
  12. Exeter Force Ghost

star 4
    I just heard about this contest over in fanfic, and though I'm kinda late to the ball game I think I'll give it a go! :D

When we submit it by PM, are we putting the whole thing (with formatting?) into the message, or sending a file link, or what? I'm not a regular over here, so I'm not sure how it's usually done for this contest.
  13. silverfighter Force Ghost

star 4
    485 words in about 30 minutes give or take. [face_mischief] But that's all I got so far. I loathe procrastination. :oops:
  14. Ultima_1 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm about 1400 words in. Two scenes pretty much done and a few others started.
  15. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Just copy and paste it into a PM. You can do italics and such if you want, but they probably won't be copied to the judges (because that would take too long).
  16. Exeter Force Ghost

star 4
    I just figured since it was a contest, including formatting would be sort of a given, since we're displaying our writing talent. Even stripping out things like italics, to me, is like stripping out a bit of the content itself.

If it would take too much of your time for you to include formatting to the judges, I'd be willing to preformat it using board code if that's my only option beyond not using any at all.
  17. Ceillean Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm going to have to step back from the contest. :_| :_|
    I'm up to 6000 words already but I won't be able to finish it on time, sadly.
  18. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5

The rules state that it has to be from 2,000 to 10,000 words. If you already have 6,000, then you have enough words to submit it.
  19. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    :( No chance you can submit as-is or try to finish? :(

Based on a PM from a judge . . . you guys can use board codes as long as you use { for [ in the PMs. There's a link converter that we can use to put in the italics quickly.
  20. Sanctimoniously Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Oh, snap! I need to hurry up and do some finishing, don't I?
  21. silverfighter Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, thanks to a)procrastination and b)rabid plot bunnies who couldn't make up their minds as to what they wanted to do, I may or may not finish in time either. I'll see what I can do, though. [face_peace]
  22. the_wandering_shadow Force Ghost

star 3
    Mine'll be all rushed, as I've had an awful writer's block most of the month. I do promise, barring fatality or something else dreadful, that I'll get something in. After all I was the one who pushed this over the edge. Just no promises on quality... uuuuggghh...
  23. Exeter Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, now I don't feel so bad about only finding out about this contest a few days ago. Looks like there's plenty of fellow procrastinators to keep me company.

On the down side, that also means there's still seven or eight days before I sit down and do any real work :p

I'm not doing too bad, though. 2500 words.
  24. Ultima_1 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Mine is coming along nicely. I'm just short of 2K words and basically have a scene and a half left to write.
  25. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    Bad news, Nat (please don't kill me [face_praying], but due to uncontrollable RL issues (ie. wisdom teeth, three essays, a build-up of school work), I haven't been able to write a word and I doubt that I'll be able to write anything before the deadline. Since once I've recovered from getting my teeth out (which should be within a couple of days), I have three essays to finish writing. Sorry, school takes a priority on this one. But if you need help judging, I'm here. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.