main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA SFFF Council Nominations/Voting

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JedHead1, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    DESCRIPTION: The Council works with the Chapter Representative regarding issues with the club, as well as acting as go-betweens for members and the CR, if need be.

Currently, the council consists of:

Kay_Dee (also webmaster)

Tatooinepadme

AnasianSkywalker

Beginning today until 12:01 am on Jan. 31st, nominations are open for CR and Council Members. Whether you nominate yourself or not, it should be seconded by another SFFF member. Current council members have the option not to run again this year.

In order to participate in nominations and voting, one should meet ALL the following criteria:

1) Must have been a SFFF member as of 12:01 am Jan. 24, 2010, and had attended a SFFF meeting or event in the last year.

2) Must have posted at least once on the fourms or Yahoo Group in the past year.

3) One other member can vouch for knowing who you are by having met you in person.

To be fair, I will send the list of qualified voting members to not only the RSA's, but to the current active core members of SFFF who have been there from the beginning.

EDIT:

Here is a list of all qualified members to vote, based on the above criteria:

JedHead1
    Anasian_Skywalker
    kay_dee
    Harlock415
    Tatooinepadme
    SiaLanWezz
    Taeriel
    AKAI_FETT
    Calisto_D'Aerisian
    My_Blaster_Goes_Pew_Pew
    skye_solo
    Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi
    DarthVader79
    elmoizme
    Ms_Skywalker
    Nivek_Skywalker
    Nebelwerfer
    TionneHawk
    SWFAN3
    jeslyn
    docrichsgirl
    Sithlordblack
    Rogue6

All nominees would have to be seconded and they would have to accept the nomination. After that, the voting would have to be open for one or two weeks, and I've been given the option by the RSA's that a non-local RSA, would be PM'd the votes, and after a deadline, the winner would be announced on Feb. 7, which would be my last day as CR, with the new CR/Council taking over Feb. 8. How does this sound to everyone?

Please post nominations here.

2. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Hi Matt, I think you need to state what is happening to the current Council Members. Are we required to re-nominate ourselves to keep our position? If nobody says anything one way or the other, I don't think it would be right to keep the Council status quo unless the current council members each individually agree to stay on another year.

---------------------------------------------------------

As for myself, I'm happy to step down if there are other people to fill the position. I don't want to have to keep worrying that others think I'm not doing enough for the club. So if someone else would like to be on council that lightens my load. Technically, if you read our SFFF club charter - I should not be holding a position in 2 clubs. This rule was reviewed at the time of council consideration two years ago and members agreed to waive it in my case (and in Matt's too last year, since he was RL XO).

However, I don't like feeling like I've been pushed out by one vocal individual in the group who may or may not have been speaking for the entire club. I also wouldn't want to leave the council vacant.

3. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    If none of the council wants to step down and there are no other nominees, then the council will remain the same.

4. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Well, I'm going to nominate Alison :)

5. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Thanks, Kathy.

Personally, I'm happy with the current council. It seems to me that you've done a good job with everything. If you guys are willing to remain in the posts, that certainly sounds good to me and would honestly be my first preference. If one or more of you wish to take a break from it for a while, or if general membership wants to start moving towards a regular (yearly?) rotation of people in the positions, then I'm happy to help out. I feel I should point out that I don't have enormous amounts of free time, and I am not always on the boards every day, nor up in SF all the time. If things remain typically low key then it probably wouldn't be a problem, but it is something to keep in mind.

Not exactly decisive, huh? But basically, I'll help out as I can if needed, whether as a regular member or whatever. I think the club should be low-stress and fun at the end of the day, so whichever path most easily takes us to that sounds good to me. :)

6. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Just to double check - am I correct in assuming that the current council members don't need to be re-nominated to remain in their posts?

7. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Yes. If current council members don't post that they will step down, and if council nominees don't accept the nominations by 12:01 am this Sunday, then the Council will remain the same. However, if Rachel accepts the CR nomination and wins the votes, we will have to have another election to fill her vacant seat.

8. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    List of eligible voters updated.

9. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I should have been more succinct in my earlier post. I will accept the nomination. I'm not looking to replace the current council, but if for one reason or another someone new is needed then I'm up for that.

10. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I would hope that as a courtesy, at least Dale would post his intention to stay on as Council (Rachel too if it turns out for some reason she doesn't win CR). This 'nobody has to say anything' policy could lead to a default of inactive people remaining on council if the current council members are allowed to sit out term after term without re-running or stating their intentions at all.

Yeah, we do see Dale around so we know he's active. That's why I do think it's important for him to at least make a statement as a courtesy. I'd like to see him state his intentions at this important time.

11. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    If the people decide they don't need me as CR and nobody else wants to serve, I will be happy to stay on the council.

12. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    Sorry for not chiming in sooner about this topic. But recent events affecting my job situation got me majorly distracted and stressed this past week.

So, Yes. I do plan on staying active as part of the Council.

13. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I'm happy to step down and rotate my council position to Alison. However, in the event that Rachel could become CR (and if nobody else wants to run for council) I'm OK staying on in Rachel's vacant spot if everyone else is OK with it.

If people decide it is a conflict of interest for me to be CO of Endor Base and a council member by all means, I will step down. Just someone please, say the word rather than be unhappy with me for having other obligations in other clubs. I just don't want to have fingers pointed at me for not doing enough, or not having SFFF interests first and foremost or whatever. I can still help with the web site, I just need the help of others to format and submit the text and link updates to me so I can keep up with it and not have it all be me finding the info, me typing it up - etc.

14. Tatooinepadme

Apr 27, 2005
    I would like to nominate Tom for council. I think there needs to be multiple choices and that way everyone can decide for themselves.

15. Tatooinepadme

Apr 27, 2005
    I think we should throw all those nominated into the ring and whoever gets the top three amount of votes wins.

16. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    I think that Dale should step down as Council member.

17. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Well, someone needs to second Tom, and Tom needs to accept.

I'm for whatever makes you guys feel happy. This is supposed to be a fun club... but I did get the message last year there was a select group of people who wanted Me, Dale and Matt out.

18. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    May I ask on what grounds?

19. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    I second.

20. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Um, guys, the nominations are OVER. I first sent an e-mail to some explaining my planned resignation, I sent an e-mail announcing the nomination/voting process, and I sent a heads-up e-mail 48 hours before the deadline for nominations, so I think that's enough reminders.

Early this morning, I contacted the RSA's to lock the nominations threads, but I guess they haven't gotten around to it yet.

21. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Kathy, you shouldn't undersell your contribution to the group. You do do work and activities for and with the club, not to mention the web page work. What I think is most important though, is that when there have been issues in the club you've put a lot of energy into trying to work things out diplomatically and calmly. That takes both skill and time, and shouldn't be underestimated. It's an important and challenging role for any club. Personally, this characteristic is one of the top ones I look at when considering who I'd want on the council. And hey, it's like having our own personal Padme. :)

22. Nebelwerfer

Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2008
    do we really need to spell it out? cause I will post your email to Adywan for all to see if that's what you want...

23. Tatooinepadme

Apr 27, 2005
    I want to remind everyone that the council was an addition created by San Francisco Fan Force for our club and it is not a TFN position. Since there is still interest being shown in the election I would like to leave it open longer. People are very busy and not everyone checks the boards regularly. Even if the nominations don't increase I would like to at least see some kind of vote so everyone can feel they have their say. Even if the results end up being the same as they are now, at least the people elected would feel they are voted on by their fellow members, which would be a vote of confidence. In real elections, even if there is only one person running for a position, they are still put on the ballot so that the people can vote on it. I want people to have confidence in all their leadership. I feel honored that you are trusting me to be part of that and I am now doing what I feel is in the best interest of the club. We can always have a secret ballot at our next meeting, kind of like survivor. Everyone could still have their anonimity without having to involve other people.

24. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Beat me to it.

25. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I wish Rob had said something earlier, or nominated someone earlier - anything really if you guys really wanted a change. Unbelievable...

If Rob or Tom is trying to make a case for a VONC in Dale over some letter to Adywan (You don't need to post it again Tom, we've seen it... ), then I believe that needs to be brought up with the RSAs at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.