main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA SFFF Council Nominations/Voting

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JedHead1, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Yes, that's correct.

2. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I have a question on scheduling. Miana stated earlier that nominations for council would be extended until midnight, Feb 7 (tonight). Am I correct in assuming that the voting period comes after that? What is the schedule and deadline for the voting part of the process?

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Correct. You guys still have until midnight to do the yes/no voting on the CR, then after midnight, voting for Council will begin.

Votes, just like the CR vote, need to be PMed to Halibut, and you will have a week to do so. :)

4. Nebelwerfer

Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2008
    if we already voted for council do we have to vote again since it didn't start yet?

5. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I'll have Hal answer that.

6. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    no, you will not need to send again :)

7. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Is the deadline for Council Voting Sunday Feb 14th, midnight? I just want to send out a voting message to our members and make it clear what the deadline is to now PM the votes in.

8. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
  9. SiaLanWezz

SiaLanWezz Jedi Knight star 2

May 8, 2004
    I have send Halibut my vote for the 3 council members and ofcourse Racheal as CR. I have send all 4 votes together at one time.Hope I did it right, all togther I mean.

10. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    That's probably OK - I'm sure he can keep track. Voting for Rachel ended last Sunday or Saturday though. Voting for Council started afterward. So either you were too late for vote for Rachel, or started voting early for council ;)

11. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    It's all good :)

12. Nebelwerfer

Apr 8, 2008
    are the results in yet? who are the winners?

13. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Annoyingly we have a tie at the moment. So if anyone else wants to submit a vote, that would really help me out!

14. Nebelwerfer

Apr 8, 2008
    In the event of a tie , what role does a CR play?

15. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    If there aren't any additional votes, how will we handle it? Would we have a second, run off vote between the people specific to the tie? Is there a chance a run off could make a difference, or is the situation such the we would get the same result? Is it just two people who are tied?

16. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    We have two definites, and the third position is tied. From the way the votes went, a re-run between those 2 would still be a tie

17. Nebelwerfer

Apr 8, 2008
    My 3-word solution: paper, rock , scizzors

18. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Well, it's up to Rachel ultimately. Here are some ideas I'd like to propose:

1) Let us know who the two people were who tied. We could send out one last reminder to the eligible voters explaining there was a tie and if they want to vote to help break the tie get in your vote by X date.

2) Our charter states that there should be a minimum of 3 council seats - and should be 10% of the membership number. Right now our active voting membership number is 23 so technically, the 3 seats we have now fits the numbers in our charter. However, this club is for fun, yadda yadda... will it kill anyone if we prematurely add a 4th seat to council? Just let all 4 people be on council and we are done. No competition, nobody has to feel left out. Everyone wins.

19. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Huh. I see your problem. What is the standard process in these cases? You mentioned hoping for more votes- were there eligible voters who didn't vote? Should we contact them individually and ask them to vote? Or alternatively, as Tom asked, does the CR decide, maybe together with the other two council members?

According to the SFFF charter, "If there is another tie in voting on a measure or if the vote itself it too trivial to even bring up to waste time voting during a meeting the SFFF Council will then vote amongst themselves to pass or deny a measure which will be the final say."

However, this is talking about measures, not voting for the council positions themselves. I'm not sure whether this should apply to this situation or not; it seems odd. Maybe Halibut's idea votes? But then, how to ensure that is fair? If there is more than one person who didn't vote, and they have different opinions, should we try to get a vote from them all? Otherwise the first additional person to vote would break the tie, which could be rather random.

20. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I'd say definitely shoot out the message to everyone reminding them that they need to vote, give that a few days, and hope someone votes to make it simple. However, coming up with option #2 is probably a good idea as well.

21. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I was about to shoot out a message via the yahoo groups, but wanted to run it by tatooinepadme first since she is our CR. I also figured we should set a deadline... like maybe this Sunday night? It would be nice to just be able to move on and have the council in place so we can plan our next meeting, etc.

I also wanted her to consider option #2 ;) I mean, it could be the best solution given the vote is so close. There are people who feel strongly that one person should represent them, some feel very strongly about another person. Why tip the scale by just one vote and upset half the club members? Now, if some people are wanting an 'anti so and so vote' I hope they get over that. It's not the spirit of our club to try to vote someone out. We are all club members, it's just a matter of who you want representing your interests in council. So if both people are there then it should resolve that issue in my mind.

22. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    "Will this never end?" - C-3PO

23. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    I think trying to have some kind of run off first would be a good idea. I am sure there are some people who didn't get to vote. As it has been explained to me, the idea of having an odd number of people on the council was so that if we needed a vote on something, it couldn't result in a tie. But I would like to give everyone a chance to revote before we go making any further changes, especially given how strongly some people feel about this election.

24. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I think if we already voted we do not need to re-vote. Halibut just hopes that if someone didn't vote yet they will take the time to so we won't have a tie. :)

25. Nebelwerfer

Apr 8, 2008
    read one post down

\/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.