main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto SFX 2007 Guets anounced

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Styrofoam_Guy, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sirene

Sirene Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Not off hand.

2. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Yeah, I know one who does.
    (my wife and I are the 501st Ohioans, although I'm from Canada :D )

Okay, now I know your screen name Sirene ;)

3. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Well, I got a SWEET deal on airfare - $371 Non stop from Seattle to Toronto. A little more than it would have cost me to get to Buffalo (and [:D] to those who offered to give me a ride up from there) but as I said, it's NON-Stop (Buffalo would have routed me via Atlanta - total flight time of 10 hours plus) and gets me in and out with minimal missed work time. I'm on the "I refuse to look like a walrus in my once in a lifetime picture with Hayden" diet which means primarily breaking the cola habit - :mad:[face_frustrated] but it's helped a lot... Maybe I'll look more like a seal then a walrus! [face_laugh]

I can't wait!!!

4. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Hello all!
    Am flying in from Calgary for the Expo and really looking forward to it :D

Although I'm very envious DarthBreezy - my airfare cost almost $150 more to fly from Alberta (and that was on sale!!) :mad: Oh well - you don't get the chance to meet Hayden everyday!

Question: Are many of you dressing up? Any particular day? I wasn't going to bring any costumes because of the hot weather in T.O in August, but if there's going to be many of you there, it may be a good chance to get together[face_thinking]

And does anyone know anything about the light saber demonstation? Myself and a few other FF-ers in Calgary also take a light saber class and it would be neat to compare styles and such. Is this group local? I've heard of the New York Jedi, but I didn't know of anyone else in Canada doing similar stuff.

5. Sirene

Sirene Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Oh noes!! I'm busted!

6. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    The 501st is organizing all the demos. Not sure who they got for the light saber stuff

7. Capt-SithPaark

Capt-SithPaark Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 24, 2004
    This in, From the Bad News file -

Received word yesterday (from Ben Stevens - OfficialPix) via RebelScum forum

that during the San Diego ComiCon, he received word from Aman (Toronto Xpo organizer) in talking to Hayden Christensen's ppl that Hayden would not be able to attend

(principal photography on his new film begins on Aug.9th - It's being filmed in Asia)

As of this post there have been no changes / updates to the site
    ... as impatient as I was w/ this news (negative or positive) I gave a call to HobbyStar

Looks as though it is true (unfortunately)

HobbyStar were speaking to Hayden's ppl Thursday in San Diego (at the Con)
    Principal Photography on Christensen's next movie begins in Asia on August 9th so .... (Tis the nature of this business)

Obviously refunds will be given to those who have purchased tickets
    Details of the whole situation are not quite finalized yet (is Asia too far away to catch a red-eye from?)

Hayden does now have a place in Toronto so an appearance will be rescheduled

ps - Not that I'm a 'Star Trek' fan, but I was told that Zachary Quinto - who will now be at the Toronto XPO (as part of the 'Heroes' tour) was announced at the SDCC as the new 'Spock' for the upcoming 'Star Trek' movie

8. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    They can shoot around him for a few ***** days. A 'reshedual' won't refund my airfare or give me back the extra money I've already spent. :mad:

Of course, this could me the otherHayden - who postponed.... This IS on TOS....

JULY 16/07

HAYDEN PANETTIERE POSTPONED TO 2008

9. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    (a la Vader in RotS) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!:_| :mad: [face_praying]

10. Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 28, 2003
    This is unfortunate for those who have airfare tickets

Hayden has family in the Toronto area so there is no doubt he will be back.

11. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Ok - NOTHING on Hobbystar, NOTHING on the Hayden Fan site, no IMDB about any new projects on the horizon for Hayden, and Jumper is in Post production, so until I hear it from a more reliable source, I'm calling manure on the rumor.

12. jedi-princess-barbie

jedi-princess-barbie Jedi Master

Jul 30, 2007
    I'm new here but have been reading for a long time. I had to register to chime in on this. I'm really bummed out right now about this too.

I want to believe that this is just a rumor but some things fit. The Hayden fan sites are probably waiting for confirmation like we all are. I've suspected that Hayden was in LA on business when a video showed up of him, his brother and two other men having dinner at Mr. Chow. I don't think you are seen there unless you want to be seen. It looked very much like a business meeting. That was on July 17th. I've been waiting ever since for an announcement of a new movie or possibly the second Jumper movie. Jumper is a possible trilogy.

I understand completely about the airfare. I spent the most on a ticket I've ever spent because August is Toronto's high tourist season and the fares weren't going down and I guess because it's an international flight for me.

It's always a possibility that someone will have to cancel because of a work commitment. It's on the Hobbystar website. Most celebtities take the commitment very seriously though and I can't imagine Hayden making this decision lightly.

That said, they could be waiting for an 11th hour reprieve, hoping he can still work out a way to be there but I'm at least prepared for bad news at this point.

13. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    A start date in 10 days? And NO whispers on any of the fan sites about potential projects (even though Jumper is slater as a potential trilogy, I doubt they'd sink that much money into filming part two while they're still in post).

Contracts are rarely that quick and dirty, especially without 'bones' being tossed to the media to generate interest - so and so's being considered for this project, blah blah blah) - and with what according to my dirty math equates to at least a 10K 'appearance fee' - (Hobbystar has been promoting Hayden as it's big attraction for months) if he backs out at what is so close to the 11th hour... well, 'disappointment' in the man will be an understatement.

14. AKalel

AKalel Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2005
    I find it interesting the Hayden from Heroes is pulling a no show considering 6 ( I do not kn ow which 6) are suppose to be doing a appearance at Yong Dundas Square at the end of the month to promote the release of Heroes Season 1 DVD.

15. Capt-SithPaark

Capt-SithPaark Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 24, 2004
    DarthBreezy, Akalel - I have seen where (in other forums) someone suggested that it may be an error because Hayden Panettiere had also postponed this years Xpo
    On a London, Film & Comic-Con Forum pg. it states (from Jason Joiner - London Show organizer) that there was a rescheduling of the 'Heroes' promotional tour. There was a cancellation of the Mexican leg of the tour and it was decided that a Canadian leg would be added instead which would conflict with the LFCC
    So it seems as if H.Panettiere and Zachery Quinto have been switched for the now: London (Panittiere) - Toronto (Quinto) Cons?

Yes, for those who have made financial commitments Etc. this truly is unfortunate. But this business does dictate situations like this rather suddenly. Outside of Hayden not attending, they have added Temuera Morrison (I do agree that they are of different levels of attraction factor within the 'SW' community)

I don't want this to be true (as I have bought a VIP ticket) and until I see an update or recieve an E-Mail I will put a hold on my thoughts about all of this, but it does look like it's a reality

I do agree w/ what jedi-princess has stated - "they could be waiting for an 11th hour reprieve, hoping he can still work out a way to be there but I'm at least prepared for bad news at this point"

I soooo hope this is what is taking place, I'm sure Hayden would like to make this happen

I was told that Details/Legalities of the whole situation are not quite finalized yet (is Asia too far away to catch a red-eye from?) Let's hope not

16. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    I'm SERIOUSLY thinking it's a simple case of "Wrong Hayden" - the other Hayden has officially bowed out as of the 18th - pretty close to the start of this rumor.

Hayden is a Headliner at this event - that is a lot of money involved for the organizers to just 'hope' for an 11th hour reprieve, not just in current revenue but for future considerations. For both C-3 and C-4, Hayden C was a planned GOH, but no official announcement was made because they didn't have the papers signed - indeed, for C4 they were trying to secure Hayden until almost the week before. Mark, Ian and Hayden were the "Final Three" that OP was trying to get, then among the Final Two when Ian had to back out. Mark was a hopeful until literally the last minute. In this case, none of them were announced as no one knew... OP volunteers and others with their ear to the ground knew that the possibility was there, but again, nothing was said on TOS.

For Hayden to 'snub' a one day appearance at a hometown convention, especially so close to the actual event would be VERY bad, and the longer they delay giving refunds, the uglier it would be.

17. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    I would suggest waiting for an actual announcement rather then rumours before getting upset.

18. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    I admit I was upset at first, but then after careful consideration and review of the situation - lets just say I'm not holding my breath about it being canceled and unless I see it posted on the Con site, I'm not going to believe it's more than just a misunderstanding.

*Edit*

So the bomb got dropped....

Hayden's Appearance: On August 01st HOBBYSTAR.COM will post an announcement regarding Hayden's appearance at this year's SFX Fan Expo in Toronto on August 25th. It's rumored that he will not be able to attend because he'll be shooting a new film. I'll be sure to stay on top of this and add more information as it becomes available. Thank you to the members at the DH.NET FORUM for all their help.

Edit 2 - ANOTHER RUMOR.

If HS is sure this is the case, WHY WAIT?

19. Anakinhot24

Anakinhot24 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2005
    I don't understand it either. I was looking forward to finally meeting him after all this time. That might as well just say he can't make it and refund everyone's money.

20. Darthsmuse

Darthsmuse Jedi Master star 1

Nov 27, 2004
    I really hope that the situation turns out okay for you guys today however a point in the original post on Rebel Scum seems to have been overlooked by posters. In Ben Steven of Official pix's post on Rebel Scum (full quote below) he says:

"I only found out from Aman a few weeks ago that Hayden couldnt attend and didn't want those of you who wrote about quantity Hayden pricing to get stuck with lots of unusable inventory... "
    That suggests to me that the date clash has been known for sometime. I do hope that filming can be rescheduled to accommodate SFX.

Full post from rebelscum. Link here:
    http://www.threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2694397&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#2694397

"Fyi scummers... I got a flyer from Aman (the promoter for Toronto) at San Diego at Comic-Con with Hayden cancelled from appearing at the Toronto event. Temeura has been booked as his replacement.

For those of you who have been in contact with me the past couple of weeks wanting Hayden photos and I have been cryptic in my response about you needing to wait... Now it has been formally announced. I only found out from Aman a few weeks ago that Hayden couldnt attend and didn't want those of you who wrote about quantity Hayden pricing to get stuck with lots of unusable inventory... Hopefully Hayden can make Aman's or another event soon.

-Ben "

21. Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 28, 2003
    From their web site
    "ALL SALES FINAL, NO EXCHANGES OR REFUNDS FOR ANY REASON"

But who knows. Maybe if people made a big enough stink they can get a refund.

They will reschedule. They did that for Patrick Stewart. I heard they knew about his cancelation a week before the show but didn't update their web site until the first day of the convention.

22. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    To be honest, THIS ******* me off. A few weeks? That would be incredibly unfair to people. It wouldn't kill them to either shoot around him for a couple days, especially as he had made this commitment long before the ink was dry on this project.

23. Moff_D

Aug 3, 2002
    It says clearly in the Hayden special ticket info:
    ALL SALES FINAL, NO EXCHANGES OR REFUNDS FOR ANY REASON, UNLESS HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN IS UNABLE TO ATTEND.
    So that should be refunded at least.

Still, it is a little underhanded to not make this known to the public if indeed Hobbystar has known for weeks that Hayden would not be able to attend. I hate how these convention organizers do stuff like this. All respect to Tem Morrison, but he isn't quite a fitting replacement for Christensen because Morrison makes plenty of convention appearences. Ah well, I guess we should wait for an official announcement before feeling dumped on yet again...seems to be a frequent experience for SW fans these days...

24. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    If they've known for a few weeks and still were advertising it on site... that smacks of fraud... [face_frustrated]

However, until they actually put it up on the site, I'll hold off... interesting to note that the footnote to the 'No refunds' is a very RECENT addition. When my friend bought our tickets, she was told that there were No refunds, no exceptions!111!

I love Tem - he's a sweetheart, but as has been said, he's not a replacement for Hayden.

I'm committed to Toronto, no matter what as I purchased nonrefundable airfare, but I'll be incredibly saddened if he's a no show. I gave up a lot for this - (don't ask...)

But still, we'll see....

25. Moff_D

Aug 3, 2002
    However, until they actually put it up on the site, I'll hold off... interesting to note that the footnote to the 'No refunds' is a very RECENT addition.

No, that refund point was there when I purchased my tickets at the end of June. I always make a point to check the refund policies ;)
    (It does make me wonder if they had an idea that the Hayden visit was on shaky ground to begin with, but that is just the pessimist in me :p )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.