main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto SFX is coming...

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by grey_starr, Jul 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003

... *ninja skills going into action in 5...4...3...2...*

oooh! See you all tonight (maybe that is if you can really see anyone being so crowded and all). I'm so disipointed I miss Adam (firefly's) q&a because volunteer passes won't be ready til 6:30pm :( ah well.

2. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    See everyone down there

Alex
    Styrofoam Guy

3. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Room number is 1838 if you feel like coming down for the star wars en Direct show.

4. grey_starr

grey_starr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2004
    Woo Hoo... Day one... Awsome!... Kenny gave a great Q&A! Can't wait for tomorrow...

5. Aina

Aina Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2003
    see you all today! hehehe leaving in 20 mins!

6. Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 28, 2003
    It was nice seeing ya. Too bad you could only come the one day

7. Jedi_Knight_Jiggs

Jedi_Knight_Jiggs Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2004
    I had a great time... Picked up all the DVDs, comics, t-shirts and overpriced toys I went for. Of course now I have to figure out how I'm gonna pay for food and the other necessities I need in order to live... Oh well, the Voda vs Sidious Unleashed is so cool...

8. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    Thanks for inviting me, I had a blast... Hopefully the ratings on SWD didn't plummet too much when I was on! LOL!!

9. kerberos_kero

kerberos_kero Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2005
    i love it
    i found everything i wanted

anime girls
    shinobu miniatures
    [image=http://www.yue.ca/pictures_used_in_forums/DSC00042.JPG]
    a shinobu wall scroll
    [image=http://www.yue.ca/pictures_used_in_forums/DSC00034.JPG]
    inuyasha the movie, signed by Richard Cox (that guy is awesome)
    [image=http://www.yue.ca/pictures_used_in_forums/DSC00021.JPG]
    a katana
    [image=http://www.yue.ca/pictures_used_in_forums/DSC00043.JPG]
    [image=http://www.yue.ca/pictures_used_in_forums/DSC00044.JPG]

the masquerade was awesome, the director(i don't remember his name) is my hero xDD

the only thing i don't like was the organization
    the way they announce the masquerade winners
    was STUPID they should use the theater
    the way they do it just a few get nice shoots of the winners

also someone record the masquerade???
    i thought they were going to sell the DVD(not at the moment obviously, but been able to pre-order it)
    but the masquerade table says no :(

**edit to add the url of my pics*

CNA pictures

*edit to add pictures to my list*

10. Duker_Duck

Duker_Duck Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2001
    This year was better organised then past years where you could expect to wait hours just to hit the dealers room. I think last year the average original entry waiting line was 3 hours long, and that year they also tried forcing people who had already been admitted once to go to the back of the line.
    The masquerade takes times for the judges to add up the scores of, and for the number of entries that means alot fo time with nothing on stage, as such they do the tallies overnight to determine the winners, most masquerades which deal with high volume sof competitors work this way in my experience.
    As for a recording of the masquerade, if SFX were to do so, they would likely cause a backlash from competitors and the liek seeing as they would have to sign disclaimers keeping them from having any shar eof the royalties which the con would pocket at a profit. SFX is a commercial con, and as such looks to profit in every way they can.

11. Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 28, 2003
    It was great seeing everyone when I could. I finally managed to get Kenny Baker to sign the inside of my R2 dome.

I spend most of the time helping out with the Serenity Fantable so I saw very little of the con and bought even less even though I saw some very neat stuff.

Thanks to Seb for organizing the breakfast. Lots of fun
    I finally managed to see the web broadcast and was very impressed. Nice work there.

Alex
    Styrofoam Guy

12. Aina

Aina Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2003
    It was really great to see all you guys again! but as for the con im very disappointed and i don't forsee me ever going again. I would rather take the train in and go out for dinner with you guys and join in on the room parties than pay to get into the con. the only thing that i kinda enjoyed was the dealers room, and im not gonna pay to go shopping.

so see you at the room parties next year lol

13. Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 28, 2003
    This year was the first time I went in and paid for SFX. I went only because of Kenny Baker, Adam Baldwin and the Serenity Fantable.

The dinners and parties can be done without paying admission. Also you can hang out in the lobby and see a lot of costumed people.

Alex
    Styrofoam Guy

14. Sabrina001

Sabrina001 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    First time I paid for that con in at least 3 or 4 years and likely the last time I will pay for that con for the forseeable future. Yes there were alot of top notch guests there and yes I did find a few things in the dealer's room that I wouldn't have easily found elsewhere. But NONE of it was worth the price of what I had to pay. At least I saw the seeds of a paneling track germinating this year at the con, I guess they realize that a dealer's room and an anime screening area just doesn't cut it anymore. If they could get a bona fide panelling track or two going that I could attend at no extra charge, I'd consider going back. If they could get more of the industry companies like book and comic publishers to take this con seriously, I'd be back every year. Oh, and they REALLY need to do something to improve their crowd control. It was a nightmare, even for a con.

The impression I got was that they were trying to be a kind of Comic-con North. Thing is, Comic-con is an industry show. If you don't have the industry backing (and a huge paneling track) it just doesnt work.

Sabrina

15. kerberos_kero

kerberos_kero Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2005
    i'm glad to know that i'm not the only one disappointed with their crowd control

i'm insist this is not the smartest way to give the results

[image=http://www.yue.ca/pictures_used_in_forums/DSC00002.JPG]

if they don't want to use the theater again or use a multipurpose room at least they should use their ninjas lol

the girl didn't have a micro and also she don't have a good voice (she was talking very lowly when she should yield or use a **** micro)

the con could have been much more organized but i'm happy i get what i wanted, i'm gong to attend for sure next year :)

16. ArtyEwok

ArtyEwok LFL Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 18, 1999
    Thanks to everyone who stopped by my table, thanks for being so fun at the party! And thanks for the invite to the breakfast. I'm STILL exhausted and I'm ever glad it's a long weekend. I now have to clean my house (Ugh! I'm a slob when productive) and plan my next big thing. :D

17. Jedi_Knight_Jiggs

Oct 26, 2004
    The only thing missin' was a Star Wars Minitures table or tournament... Or did I miss that?

18. grey_starr

grey_starr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2004
    Yeah.. you missed it... cause they had both a display table where you could learn the game... and tournaments...

19. Jedi_Knight_Jiggs

Oct 26, 2004
    Damn, I still don't know how to play...

20. Master_Tyvokka

Master_Tyvokka Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2005
    the best part is that I was there, And I saw ken, and Hung out with carlos.

21. DARTH2-D2

DARTH2-D2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2002
    I saw you too

I saw the mini display but no tourneys but then again I was so busy taking photos with random people I was lucky to see anything at all on saturday and sunday I was so tired

22. Elewyn

Elewyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002

What a blast! I got to meet Elijah Wood and Jhonen Vasquez..and got to thank him for all the dooooooom ^_^

23. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    Now you can rewatch all of Zim and see the 3 times he stuck himself in the show...

24. assetic

assetic Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2005

Oooh that was fun. I think that was my best SFX in years... people wise... and money wise. I wish I didn't miss some people though.

25. DZ-3636

DZ-3636 Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2005
    It was good, I had a blast. it was much better then last year and I got to see a lot even though I was bogged down with people wanting photos every second of my time. it took over an hour just to get upstairs after getting my costume on after I got my ticket. I hope next year the gaming section gets better and the store people bring thier game supplies. they really didnt this year oh well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.