main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada SFX Special Hotel Arrangement (UPDATED 08-21-05)

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Uilmuteiz, Jul 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Hello all,

The week-end of august 26th trough the 28th will see the coming to Toronto of Kenny Baker (R2-D2) and Matthew Woods (General Grevious).

For the occasion, I will be present in Toronto, and a few of my fellow Fanforcer/501st/Rebel Legion from Montreal will be coming down as well.

So this means Crashing space.

Last year after a disastrous stay at the Strathcona, we looked into rooms at the Intercontinental (which is right next to the Convention Center).
    There is a 3 rooms suite still available for grabs and trust me, this is a really nice suite.
    Here's the thing, I figured we could all get in on this crash space and just enjoy a star wars week-end of fun.
    On saturday night, I would be hoping to actually manage some sort of supper with the Star Wars Guest, and of course followed by a Star Wars en Direct special broadcast, straight from the Hotel suite.

The price of the suite is 699$ per night.
    I know, but please keep on reading.
    as usual many of us will probably be attending the convention, so the idea would be to all get in on the same crash space (we're talking 3 joined rooms here).
    Now 700$ divided by (let's say 10 people for the instance) comes down to 70$ a night which is really cheap.

I know these are hard times, but I'm sure this would make the convention an even greater experience for all of us.

SO if you are interested in this idea, post it right here, I'll be waiting untill monday to actually make the reservation based upon the number of participants in this endeavour.

2. Sabia_Ronit

Sabia_Ronit Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2003
    Primrodo and I are in need of a room. I'll have to check it over with him, but we may have to take you up on the offer.

3. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Just curious, what was wrong with the Strathcona? It is listed as the other official con hotel.

4. Lil_Miss_Amidala

Lil_Miss_Amidala Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    I heard it's insanely tiny for the price of it.

5. Uilmuteiz

Dec 4, 2000
    regardless of the fact that it is insanely tiny for the price they ask, it's also miss-managed and they don't have an underground parking, they don't have working security light in the fire escape stairs between the first and fifth floor.

PLUS

If you are part of the 501st, Rebel Legion or Jedi Assembly, then you'd rather not take the chance of walking your costume 2 blocs down the street (altough yeah it is fun to see "regular" people react to them) It might get damage or you may just increase the perimeter of "lost parts search party".
    Being in the hotel RIGHT next to the convention center allows you to be able to actually troop almost freeminded. really enjoy your stay at the convention.

6. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    I might be interested. I'd use 2 nights, so $140 doesn't sound too bad.

Sebastien, you still owe me an e-mail address, and for Rebel Legion members reading this, check your inbox soonish regarding this event.

7. ArtyEwok

ArtyEwok LFL Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 18, 1999
    I managed to get lucky.

A friend of mine who lives in the states is coming up, and his parents have timeshare at the hilton. I'll be about a 5 minute walk away, but for $25 US a night, I really can't complain.

It's a littel far to lug the ewok costume, though, so I'll have to think that through. There won't be room at my tablt to stow it.

8. ArtyEwok

ArtyEwok LFL Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 18, 1999
    I goofed... $25 for BOTh nights. And I'm staying 2 nights at my Aunt's place (Which I need to find!)

9. Uilmuteiz

Dec 4, 2000
    Well, The suite is booked, so if you are interested in the Idea, drop me a pm.

10. VaderFanForever

VaderFanForever Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2004
    Hm...reading about the Strathcona has made me start to rethink my plans. Hey Seb...would you still have space? if so, let me know. I PM'd you my phone number. Give me a call if you can.

I just may be changing where we stay [face_dancing]

11. Marianne_Solav

Marianne_Solav Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2001
    Actually, it's only the first 5 floors that have security lights in the stairs (probably the only floors that are inspected!). When you are checking out and dragging your luggage down from the eleventh floor in total darkness because the front desk clerk doesn't want to give out candles, it's fun!!! :D I didn't break my neck... woo-hoo!

12. Uilmuteiz

Dec 4, 2000
    Here are the list of interested:

Sabia_Ronit
    Primrodo
    Woofer
    Vaderfanforever + 1
    Uilmuteiz +1
    TheGrandePoobah

maybe 1 or 2 more I still have to verify.

That's already enough people to actually have a price somewhat around 140$.

I've just checked with the hotel, and here are the specs:

total of 4 beds:
    2 double beds
    1 king size bed
    1 pull-out couch (which in return is also the seating area)

Things to know

1- I would like to throw a small Star Wars en Direct live broadcast after the masquerade on Saturday night. Idea is that it would take place in the seating area.
    The broadcast will maybe go on to as late as 1:00 am on sunday.

2- I am trying to organize something for all the star wars fans out there on the saturday night for supper (18:00 hours to 20:00 hours (so we catch the masquerade)). more details to come.

3- Montreal's Imperial Alliance will be crashing in the suite with everyone there as well. So the rent for saturday night will be incredibly lowered. More to come.

I will be going trough more thinking this week-end, and I'll give you more details on everything on monday.

13. VaderFanForever

Feb 24, 2004
    Truth be told Uilmuteiz, will we really be needing to use the beds? ;)

14. VaderFanForever

Feb 24, 2004
    By the way...my math isn't very good...will it be $70 per night for 2? Or is it $70 per person per night?

Thanks

15. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    So would that be 140 for the weekend each then?

16. grey_starr

grey_starr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2004
    I'm still thinking for one night... though I'm not sure if it's the Friday or the Saturday...

17. Uilmuteiz

Dec 4, 2000
    70$ per person per night.

18. Uilmuteiz

Dec 4, 2000
    Okay here is list A
    If you see your name on this list and it shouldn't be, let me know.
    If you would like to add your name to the list let me know.

Costs are currently calculated with taxes for each individual night.
    (699.00$ x 15% = 805$ per night)/by the number of residents expected

Friday (9)
    Sabia_Ronit
    Primrodo
    Woofer
    Vaderfanforever + 1
    Uilmuteiz +2
    TheGrandePoobah
    DuckerDuck

Cost for Friday night thus far: 90$

Saturday
    (9+8)
    TB-7445
    Vaderwannabe
    Darth Detori
    Stephen
    Marriane_Solav
    TC-7410
    Simon Kenobi
    TX-8872

Cost for Saturday night thus far: 48$

On Friday night, we can pretty much share the 4 beds between us easily, but on saturday night, we'll need to share the rooms differently.
    Since the Imperial Alliance needs to drive back fairly early in the afternoon then i'm planning on giving them one of the three rooms. Leaving us 2 rooms to split to ourselves.
    Is that fair with you guys?

This would total the cost for us good folks to 138$ for the week-end (so basically still around the 140$ and 70$ per night approximation we started with)

Any comments, Ideas, frustrations?

19. DARTH2-D2

DARTH2-D2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2002
    your number for friday says 9 but yer numbers count to 10

20. VaderFanForever

Feb 24, 2004
    Uilmuteiz, my friend and I will be there saturday night as well :)

21. Uilmuteiz

Dec 4, 2000
    Lol thanks for mentionning Darth2 and Thanks for joining VaderFan

22. Duker_Duck

Duker_Duck Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2001
    Hey Seb, I thought I said put me down for both nights, saves me time making like a yo-yo.

So if you'll put me down for Sat I'll be sure to bring the remaining provisions from TT.

23. Sabia_Ronit

Sabia_Ronit Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2003
    Money is pretty tight right now and since it would be $140 per night for us we (Primrodo and I) are going to have to find other accommodations.

Thanks though.

24. Uilmuteiz

Dec 4, 2000
    Sorry to hear that,

But I guess I understand.

so revised list

Woofer
    Vaderfanforever
    Vaderfanforever_b
    Uilmuteiz
    Uilmuteiz_b
    Uilmuteiz_c
    TheGrandePoobah
    DuckerDuck

Cost for Friday night thus far: 101$

Saturday (8+8)
    TB-7445
    Vaderwannabe
    Darth Detori
    Stephen
    Marriane_Solav
    TC-7410
    Simon Kenobi
    TX-8872

Cost for Saturday night thus far: 51$

25. grey_starr

grey_starr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2004
    I hope people realize the more that squeeze in, the cheaper it gets... AND it's the Hotel that is attached to the convention... can't get any closer... and most likely not really any cheaper...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.