main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Shaded Prism: Drabble Series (UDC 5)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DaenaBenjen42, Jan 25, 2011.

1. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    JediFalcon: Here more be... Thank you, JediFalcon. :)

Jade_eyes: Thank you, Jade_eyes. :)

Hazel: Thank you. :)

dancing_star: Thank you, star. :)

Week 2 (07.14.06) - UDC1 - Irek Ismaren (AU... very, very AU)

6. hours

In the small hours of the morning, a little boy sits, his back to a bulkhead, and shivers at memory. It is hours since the pilot found him sitting amid debris, and hours since he lost everything he ever knew. The only thing he knows right now is his name, Irek, and who the pilot and his big furry friend are. The pilot-captain insisted that he come with them, and so here he sits, on a ship that reminds him of his missing mother. Thinking about her brings everything up all over again, and he can't help but cry silently.

7. days

It is a few days later when they land somewhere cold and the pilot he won't call by name hands him an oversized jacket. Irek takes it, puzzled as can be, and put's it on. Then he follows the pilot down the ramp and out into a very cold and very white inside space. "Is this... snow?"

The pilot stops and looks down at him, eyebrows raised. "Yes. This your first time seeing it, Irek?"

"Yes."

The pilot nodds knowingly. "Come on. We'll check in and then find something to eat."

"Eat the snow?"

A chuckle. "Not this week, no..."

8. weeks

"Irek?"

He looks up from the game table to find that senator friend of his mother's looking at him in concern. "Senator?"

She sighs. "You don't have to call me that. Call me Leia."

"Momma said to be respectful." It's the first time in weeks that thinking of her hasn't made him begin to cry, but Leia pulls him into an embrace.

"I know," Leia told him. "And you are. You are."

They sit like that until yelling commences from the engine compartment, making Irek blink. "More fixing?"

"Yes," Leia sighed. "More fixing."

9. months

The boarding ramp was barely even down when he heard his name being yelled out by a young, excited voice. Amused and very glad to see him, Han scooped the boy up. "Woah there, Irek."

"They got you back! Just like they said they would!"

Han blinked down at him. "Yes..."

"Thought you were gone. Like Momma."

And that's when it fell into place, what this little boy had been thinking the entire time. "Well I'm back now."

"For good?"

As he walked down the boarding ramp, Han nodded. There was nothing else he could say.

10. years

It has been years since he was adopted. Years since he became Irek Ismaren Solo officially, child of Han Solo and Leia Organa Solo. Years since it mattered that this family formed out of strangers seeking the same goal wasn't really his own. Years since he accepted that the dull ache of losing the only family he'd had before would always be there...

Now, as he gazes upon his new baby siblings for the first time, it feels like it should matter. Should, but as Han, now father and Dad, and not Pilot, touches his shoulder and welcomes him closer, he finds it doesn't. That it never has and never will.

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    How cool is this! =D=

@};-

3. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Wow that is such a great set of drabbles. Loved that Leia and Han adopted him. More soon

4. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Aww, those were wonderful!! =D= @};- I think the last two were my favorite- loved that they adopted him. [face_love]
    Great job and looking forward to more!
    [:D]

5. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Irek - Awesome set, very cool AU!

Luke/Mara - Always nice to see Luke and Mara just hanging out and relaxing. :)

6. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Jade_eyes: Thank you, Jade_eyes. :)

JediFalcon: It just... seemed to fit. Thank you. :)

dancing_star: Thank you, star. :)

Tarsier: Irek's one of those characters I've not seen in fic at all. Glad everybody liked. Thank you, Tarsier. :)

Week 2 (10.01.07) - UDC2 - Gaeriel Captison and Pter Thanas

6. Jedi

The relationship had started very simply: she'd met him at his formal debriefing after... well, after. After someone she'd wanted to stay had left. He'd saved them all, had given Eppie herself back. That alone was worth loving him for.

"You seem more introspective than usual."

She glanced up, flashed a smile at her dinner partner. "It's nothing, Commander."

"I thought we were down to first names, hmmm?"

She reached for his hand, clasped it. "Of course we are, Pter. Of course."

7. Sith

When word arrived of something having been amiss, it was already over. She'd wanted to comm, to reach out and ask questions, and wondered why no one had thought to inform her of the situation on YavinIV. Was she really that out of the loop, here on Bakura, that... No. Thinking of it that way would only make her angry.

A hand on her arm, belonging to her husband, reminded her of the here and now. It would help no one to rush off and make a fuss about something over and done. Everything was fine now, that was what mattered.

8. Soldier

Sometimes, she would find him watching the stars with an unreadable expression, as if he longed to be out there in the thick of it. The moment would quickly pass, and he'd be hers again, here. She wondered what he thought during those moments, if the stars called to him, if he longed for adventure. If he did, he never voiced it. Never made her believe without a doubt that he wanted to be anywhere but where he was.

He was still a soldier, no matter how much time passed. She knew this.

9. Civilian

It was moments like this, where he watched and listened to her sing to their daughter in the small hours of the morning, that he was glad he'd made the choices he had. That he'd turned away from Imperial Service for good. He still longed to be among the stars, out there, but it was just that... a longing. No amount of adventure could ever replace the times spent like this, just the three of them.

And there was nothing more enchanting right now than listening to his wife sing and their little girl coo right along with her.

10. Politician

The service was formal. Political. He'd been a soldier, the husband of the prime minister. She wanted to not be here, in front of so many people. Wanted to be somewhere else. Anywhere else. She hadn't wanted to have a formal public funeral to begin with... this? It was agony sitting here. Grief was supposed to be a private thing... wasn't it?

She was drawn out of her thoughts when Eppie reached over and held her hand firmly, mouthing the words: "You can do this."

Nodding, she held onto Eppie's hand like a lifeline. She could.

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Daena -- you're amazing at seldom-seen characters =D= =D=

I enjoyed all of these but Civilian most of all--serenity and rightness just flows.

:)

8. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    That was an aweseome set of drabbles Daena. Politician was sad. Can't wait for more

9. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Jade_eyes: Very, very glad you like. Thank you. :)

JediFalcon: More is... here. Thank you, JediFalcon. :)

Week 2 - 9/8/08 - prompts provided by BigFatty - UDC3 - AT-AV: All Terrain Attack Cat (AU)

6. Alderaan

Her person kept waving a string around for her, and every time she got ahold of it with her claws, they vied for control of it. It was a game with her person, one they did every day together. Suddenly a noise spooked her and the string was forgotten in favor of a nice, dark place to hide from it. Not the string, but the noise. It had been very loud.

Her person appeared in the space between the bottom of the bed and the floor, peering in at her. "AT-AV? Come on out. It was just a door slamming."

AT-AV decided she didn't like doors that slammed.

7. Yavin IV

Leia smiled as she watched the twins play keep away with AT-AV. The Pitten was older now, but no less agile or alert. It was good to hear sounds of life in the too-still grand audience chamder of the temple. Good to be reminded as she sat here of the other time, joyful and bitter, that this place evoked memories of. Good to not be reminded of that which lay behind her.

A sudden hiss brought her attention back to the twins and AT-AV, who was now bounding away from them to join her on the steps. Leia blinked for a moment, then laughed and scooped up her pet. "Did something you didn't like, hmm?"

AT-AV's only response was a purr.

8. Bespin

Lando was surprised when, on the way back through the city to another landing pad, Leia took a moment to stop at her former shared quarters to retrieve a small... cat? "Is your pet really that important?"

As they began to run again, she nodded. "Yes."

He'd wonder why she had such a strong bond with an animal until AT-AV climbed into his lap and demand he pet her. Then it would make sense why, even on the run from Stormtroopers, such a woman would stop for her pet.

9. Hapes

Confinement was boring, AT-AV observed after the third straight day of being left alone in her person's rooms. Not only was it boring, but her person really seemed to have bad taste in males. This one... AT-AV didn't like him, and definitely didn't like his smell. He smelled like old, really old and rotten, fish. She liked fish, but this was a kind of fish that didn't even smell good. Not at all. What happened to her person's mate, anyway? What was wrong there, and what was her person doing going around with this other person?

Later, when Leia returned, she'd wonder why AT-AV glared at her for an hour.

10. Dagobah

Luke was half-way to Dagobah before he realized that he had a stow-away in his X-Wing. Staring at Leia's pet, now sitting on his lap and staring out at the molted sky of hyperspace, he wondered if maybe he should turn around, head back to the fleet, and postpone his trip to talk to Master Yoda. Would talking to his Jedi Master really help matters? Did he really want the answers?

AT-AV turned her head, looked straight at him, and then put her paws on his flight-suit covered chest. Then she meowed meaningfully. Luke chuckled and pet her on the head.

Then again, maybe he really did need to talk to Yoda after all...

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    cute set -- AT-AV LOL very reminiscent of Dark Star for Mara ;)

11. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Awww thats so sweet and AT-AV knows Isolder is not meant for Leia. Can't wait for more

12. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    AT-AV - [face_laugh] That has got to be the strangest name for a cat I've ever heard.

Very cute cat!

13. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    The Gaeriel set was great! Definitely don't see enough of her in fanfic. I think Political was my favorite, it really highlighted Gaeriel's personality and strength.

AT-AV [face_love] Awesome set! So cute when she spooks at the door, and Leia stopping to save her, and her sneaking onboard with Luke...Love it all!

My favorite lines:

AT-AV decided she didn't like doors that slammed.

AT-AV turned her head, looked straight at him, and then put her paws on his flight-suit covered chest. Then she meowed meaningfully. Luke chuckled and pet her on the head.

Then again, maybe he really did need to talk to Yoda after all...

14. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Jade_eyes: Well... yes. Thank you, Jade_eyes. :)

JediFalcon: Yep. Because he smells like reeeeally bad anchovies. Here be more. Thank you, JediFalcon. :)

Hazel: Thank you, Hazel, and glad you liked. :) (Barbara Hamby named the cat... though it made much more sense when someone finally pointed out what a Pitten was...)

Tarsier: Thank you, Tarsier. :)

A/N: When I tried to post last night, it turned out that IGN had gone for a pizza run and I wasn't able to. Gone for a pizza run... right...

Week 2 - 4/13/09 - prompts provided by path-seeker - UDC 4 - Irek Ismaren Solo and Ptarmaia Calrissian

6. Impossible

It was her first day at the Praxuem and already she didn't like it here. For one thing, the food... was deplorable. Who wanted to eat colored little cubes that didn't really taste like anything?

"Oh, I see you ordered the Dorsk-81 Memorial Special," a male voice said from in front of her. She looked up to find a young man, about her age, looking at her in sympathy and also holding a tray of those colored cube things.

"Huh?"

"Long story short is that he died heroically. Can I join you?"

She nodded and he sat down. "This stuff is impossible to eat."

He laughed.

7. Unlikely

"Why is this stuff even on the menu?"

He shrugged. "Unlikely things spark remembrance, as it were. I'm Irek."

She rolled her eyes, sighed, and set her fork down. Then she looked at him for a long moment. "It's really a Memorial Special?"

"It really is."

She glanced down at the cubes on her plate, then decided to ignore it all together. After all... the boy was cute. "Ptarmaia."

Irek smiled and ate a food cube, swallowed with a grimace. "Pleased to meet you."

"The food's not all like this, is it?"

"No."

"Good."

"Some of it can be worse."

8. Reasonable

They ran into his uncle as they were leaving the mess hall, laughing at eachother's jokes, and Luke simply smiled at them both. Irek sobered quickly. "Er... hi!"

Luke shook his head. "You don't have to stop talking just because I'm in your general proximity, you know."

Irek frowned at him. "I don't?"

"That woudn't be very reasonable, now would it?" Luke turned his gaze on Ptarmaia. "Settling in okay?"

Ptarmaia smiled at him. "Of course."

"That's good." He took about two steps away from them before turning back. "Oh, and Irek?"

"Yes?"

"Here."

Irek took the datapad. The message read: "Call home. Today. -Your Parents"

9. Probable

Ptarmaia was starting to wonder why anyone wanted to be Jedi. This whole... thing... consisted of lectures and meditation and more exercize than she'd had in years, and now she just wanted to collapse from exhaustion. "This place... crazy."

Irek, sitting on the steps next to her and not nearly as winded, smiled at the sentiment. "Yes."

"Parents crazy for sending me here."

"It's probable."

"We're crazy for staying here." She sat up, put her arm around him. "And I'm crazy about you."

Irek found himself on the recieving end of the most enthusiastic kiss he'd ever gotten from anyone.

10. Definite

Luke found his wife standing at the entrance of the grand audience chamber, leaning thoughtfully against the doorjam with an intriguing smirk on her lips. "Felt your amusement all the way from the roof. What's up?"

Mara barely glanced at him as she continued to look into the audience chamber. "Just wondering how to break it to her father that she has finally figured out what romance is."

Luke frowned and looked... to find his adopted nephew on the receiving end of a very passionate kiss with his step daughter. "Oh. Should we tell them they're technically related by adoption?"

Mara paused, then shook her head. "No. Really, no."

15. dancing_star

Feb 24, 2007
    Had fun catching up! [face_dancing] Wonderful sets! =D= I think the week with AT-AV was my favorite, [face_love] though they all were great. Beautiful as always and looking forward to more! @};-

16. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Great set of drabbles

Did Mara have a daughter? Since Luke is viewing the girl as his step daughter? If so who did Mara have the child with? More soon

17. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    dancing_star: Thank you, Star. :)

JediFalcon: *explained in PM* Thank you, JediFalcon. :)

Week Two - 3/25/11 - Extra Set - Prompts Provided by Dove Chocolate Candy Wrappers (this was not unlike picking names out of a hat for a story challenge...)

Take time to feel the sun on your face...

At first, she wasn't sure why he'd pulled her all the way to the open hangar doors after the conclusion of the ceremony that had been both bittersweet and joyous in it's simplicity. But... the longer she stood here, the more thankful she was. There was beauty here, on this moon of a gas giant, lightyears from the destruction of her home. She let go of his hand and tread beyond the hangar bay doors, allowing her skin to drink in the moist sunlight of Yavin's forth moon.

For one moment of an otherwise hectic and traumatic week, Princess Leia Organa was allowed to just be herself.

It's not only okay to be different... It's fantastic!

He frowned as he entered the apartment to find his wife reading yet another datapad. It had been weeks since war had begun anew, weeks since she started pouring over reports like there was something to be found in them that she was just missing. He took two big steps to her side, took the datapad, and got her to look at him. "Enough."

"Wes, I was reading that."

"And now you'll be reading me." At her stare, Wes leered suggestively. "For tonight."

"You, hmmm?"

"Yes. Me."

Roganda smiled, took his hand. "How can I say no to an offer like that?"

Express your gratitude to those you love.

In the quiet order of the living quarters, she'd had time to calm down, finally, after weeks of being stuck at sublight speeds due to a broken hyperdrive. Weeks of not knowing who had made it off of Hoth, and out of contact with the rest of the rebellion. It was only now, here on a city in the clouds of a gas giant, that there was time to think, and reflect. He'd gotten her out of the base one step ahead of Stormtroopers...

Lifting her head to look at him as he looked out one of the many windows, Leia smiled. "Thank you."

Han turned, frowned. "For what?"

"Does it matter?"

He paused. "I guess it doesn't. You're welcome."

It's okay to live without the "big picture" in mind.

For just this moment, here in his arms, Tenel Ka let herself forget about politics and infighting. Let war mean nothing, and thoughts of everything dark in between ceased to matter. Those things were still out there, out in the universe they belonged to, being the cause of so much grief and pain. Those things still mattered, but not right here, and not right now.

No... right now was about the moment, this moment, between them. Something shared, as close to eachother as they'd ever been. All she wanted was Jacen, in the here and now.

Tomorrow could wait a while.

Make whatever you do count.

In the end, it isn't a choice between light and dark. It is a choice between your only son, and the man who had led you to darkness. It wasn't really a choice at all. In an act of defiance, Lord Darth Vader ceases to be, and Anakin Skywalker is suddenly moving to save his son. Moving... pain... collapse... staring down a shaft as haggard breaths tear through you. And a hand to pull you back.

You can't see him, as looking would mean moving, but the touch on your remaining artificial hand tells you all you need to know. It mattered.

18. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Beautiful set and I love how Leia thanked Han [face_love]

And loved how Anakin realizes that it mattered to Luke

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    amazing and moving! The prompts were lovely worded and the moments special ones.

20. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    JediFalcon: Thank you. :)

Jade_eyes: I nearly ended up with "go ahead, have another" as a prompt. Glad you liked. Thank you, Jade_eyes. :)

Week 2 - 4/13/09 - prompts provided by path-seeker - UDC4 - Orn and Eppie Belden

6. Impossible

She'd been sleeping for three days. It was making him worry, the longer she slept. What had the Jedi done to her during his visit that would make her sleep like this? Was this how her life was going to end? Right here in their home while he looked on? Holding her hand did little to ease his mind, but it did reassure him that she was still with him, here in the flesh.

For however long or short their continued time together was, Orn Belden would hang on to that last shred of logic. It was all he had.

7. Unlikely

Her senses informed her of a hand on hers, as she swam back to consciousness after so long on the inside. At first, she was confused. Why would anyone be holding her hand while she slept? The last thing she recalled was a presence, kind and warm, telling her to do something unlikely. Showing her how to be whole again. As she blinked her eyes open and found her husband sitting there, worry etched into his features, she smiled. Gone was the confusion and the forgetfulness. She knew, with a certainty, who this man was, and what the presence had been. Jedi. How she knew it was a Jedi, that part was unclear.

8. Reasonable

There was something different. This was not the brain-damaged and somewhat senile woman which Gaeriel had volunteered to care for while he did other things three and a half days ago. There was recognition in her eyes, and a fire he'd not seen since... before. Before the Imperial Governor had spared her life but left her mind a ruin and demanded his voice box in return as payment for sparing her life. This... he hadn't dared to think what she'd be like cured. He moved to speak, but she stopped him with hand to his lips and a shake of her head.

9. Probable

"There are a great many questions I have," she said after a while. "What's going on?"

He told her of the imminent invasion, of how the Rebel Alliance fleet had come to their aid, and of how, among their numbers, was a Jedi Knight.

Eppie sat in silence for a long moment, absorbing all the information. Then she pulled him closer and looked into his eyes. "I want you to understand. I don't blame you for what another did. For these years we've had that we wouldn't have if you hadn't begged him to spare me. I didn't blame you then, I don't blame you now."

Orn stared at her. "You don't?"

"How can I, when I would have done the same?"

10. Definite

Upon hearing the news of his death, she paused for only a moment. Her husband, whom she had just come back to today... Eppie wanted to be angry. Wanted to throw something and make a scene. Wanted to... but it wouldn't bring him back. It wouldn't change anything. It would make her feel better, but doing so would hinder, not help.

Instead, she held her head high and continued to carry out the plan. If she had anything to say about it, this was going to be a revolution worth remembering.

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful use of the prompts & the last one especially was inspiring

22. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    That was a beautiful set and I loved how Eppie decided to keep moving even though she lost her husband the same day she became aware again.

More soon :)

23. dancing_star

Feb 24, 2007
    Awesome sets!! =D=
    Make whatever you do count.

In the end, it isn't a choice between light and dark. It is a choice between your only son, and the man who had led you to darkness. It wasn't really a choice at all. In an act of defiance, Lord Darth Vader ceases to be, and Anakin Skywalker is suddenly moving to save his son. Moving... pain... collapse... staring down a shaft as haggard breaths tear through you. And a hand to pull you back.

You can't see him, as looking would mean moving, but the touch on your remaining artificial hand tells you all you need to know. It mattered.

@};- My favorite I think.
    Looking forward to more!

24. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    I have to tell you, Daena, I think I'm now going to be disappointed every time I read something with Leia where she doesn't have AT-AV..... :p

Irek and Ptarmaia are very cute. :)

Make whatever you do count is wonderful, very powerful. One of your best yet, I think.

Eppie and Orn are so sad, but I love that last line - If she had anything to say about it, this was going to be a revolution worth remembering.

Great work!

25. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Jade_eyes: Thank you. :)

JediFalcon: Here be more... with a side of Farscape. Thank you. :)

dancing_star: Thank you, Star. :)

Tarsier: That won't be the last set with AT-AV. ;) Thank you, Tarsier. :)

Week Three (May 31, 2010) - UDC 5 - Leia... and Medics... on YavinIV...

11. Far

Seated on some boxes, Doctor Raven Moss was content to watch people while she took a break as far away from the medical area as she could get without actually leaving the building. The engineers were working on fighters and saw fit to ignore her and anything else that didn't have anything to do with what their task-of-the-moment was. Which was good, because she didn't want to talk right now.

A few minutes went by, and then some arriving people, among them a very tall Wookiee and two droids, caught her attention. It wasn't the young man who couldn't have been more than eighteen, or the man whose bearing spoke of past millitary service that drew her attention, but rather the woman in the senatorial robes. She hid it well, but showed signs of something wrong. That would bare looking into...

12. Prisoners

Leia had managed to stay away from any medical people since arriving on the moon of the gas giant only because there'd been a grave crisis involving a very large ship with a superlaser capable of destroying entire planets. The crisis was over now, and now here she sat on a bed in the medical ward of the base. The woman had only asked one question: Did she still have pain? The question had confused her at first, and then Leia realized it wasn't a question at all from the knowing gaze directed at her.

"How did you know?" Leia found her self asking after moments of silence.

"Past experience," the medic answered.

13. Peacekeepers

Doctor Moss hadn't quite expected the two men and the Wookiee to join her patient at bedside while they waited for the test results to come back. Hadn't expected the young man to pull out a data pad or them to start playing a word game, either. Raven smiled and had to stop herself from laughing when the older one, whose name, she'd been able to glean, was Han, added his two credits to the mix: letters to spell out the word "tool" and complete the puzzle of "a hammer in the tool shed."

Watching them, no one would ever guess that the four of them had only met this week.

14. Uncharted

The test results, when they came back, weren't exactly surprising. There were still some traces of the drugs used during an interrogation in her system, but not as severe as Raven had originally thought. Turning to look at her patient from across the room, she studied her. The time just basically doing nothing had relaxed her. It was a good sign. A very good sign.

A hand landed on her shoulder and Raven spun to find Cam standing there, looking at her funny. "What?"

"We can't control everything, Raven," he reminded her with sympathy in his tone and in his eyes.

She nodded, grateful for the reminder.

15. Scape

A few hours after being asked an obvious question by a medic she didn't know, Leia was released to quarters with orders to get at least twenty solid hours of sleep and eat a good hearty meal. It was very strange, being ordered to get some sleep like that when the last thing she wanted to do was sleep... or, for that matter, even look at anything edible. Sleep would lead to dreaming. Food was a reminder that life was going on, even though so many had been... how did one describe it? Lives destroyed. People... gone.

A touch on her arm and a questioning glance at Luke, who also had shadows in his eyes of things that, like her own, wouldn't be spoken of but always remembered... brought her back to the present. She tried to smile. "Food first?"

Luke nodded slowly. "Food first."

"Lead the way?"

He did.

Week Three (May 31, 2010) - UDC 5 - Farscape

11. Far

She found him standing on his porch, staring into the night sky