Shades of Gray -- NJO -- (links pg. 1)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by LadyMairead, Sep 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyMairead Jedi Master

star 4
    It needs to be something potent but versatile. *ponders* Must go look that up...
  2. LadyMairead Jedi Master

star 4
  3. Utuu Jedi Knight

star 2
  4. LadyMairead Jedi Master

star 4
    *snerbles*

There's a new post on Soledad if anyone is interested.

*wibbles*
  5. Rogue_of-Peace Jedi Master

star 4
    ::inches away from LadyMairead. Whispers to Utuu:: She's gone wacko, making up words that make no sense. You distract her while I call the men in white.
  6. Utuu Jedi Knight

star 2
    :eek: *Whispers back* You got it pal.

*Flails arms* HEY EVERYBODY! LOOK AT ME! I'M DOIN' STUFF! NYAH NYAH! *Whispers* Hurry! I don't know how far her attention span goes anymore*
  7. LadyMairead Jedi Master

star 4
  8. ROP-s_Men_In_White Jedi Padawan

"OK we've got her." "Come this way, LadyMairead, we've got a nice jacket for you to try on." ::hears reply of a smothered "wromfle" from jacket:: "Lets go for a ride in the nice big white van to the nice big white place."

Utuu: Phew, thank God she's being taken care of... what the?

"There's the other one." "Come on sir, into the jacket."

Utuu: NOOO! You can't put me in there!! I'm not insane!

"Protesting his saneness" "Just as the boss said. Boys!"

::Three burly Kiwis in white clothes come and wrestle the jacket onto Utuu, who is thrown in the back of the truck with LadyMairead, who greets him with "Snrof!"::

Utuu:Noooooooooo!!!!

ROP:Excellent job men. Excellent job indeed. ::evil glint in eye:: [face_devil]

:p

9. Utuu Jedi Knight

star 2
    But wait, I am sane!

LM: *in a rare fit of sanity* Tell them they'll live to regret this.

Utuu: YOU'LL LIVE TO REGRET THIS!!! Oh great, now I do look crazy. Well, at least I'll be in good company as I'm medicated into oblivion.
  10. LadyMairead Jedi Master

star 4
    Honestly, I'm kicking the two of you off my thread...
  11. Utuu Jedi Knight

star 2
    You woudn't dare. Besides, what would you do without me to provide a floor show? Him, meh, go ahead, but ME? I'm the Second Banana here.
  12. Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  13. LadyMairead Jedi Master

star 4
    *coughs* Uh-huh...

LtJS: Thank you! :) I'm pleased you enjoyed it.
  14. LadyMairead Jedi Master

star 4
    *hugs Utuu* Just because.
  15. Rogue_of-Peace Jedi Master

star 4
    I asked this earlier, but you didn't reply: What did you think of HP5? I'm curious at the "shock" smiley you are using...
  16. LadyMairead Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, if you really want to hear the whole rant... :p Tenel_Ka and I had a whole PM discussion about it, so I'll paste the relevant sections:

TK: I mean, usually I can never figure out her plots, but this one was easy! So that was a little disappointing.

LM: EXACTLY. I think that was my major problem with the whole book. I could deal with all the rest of the stuff, but I felt like the plot was poorly executed. In GoF especially, I was so impressed with how self-contained all the plot threads were, but then how they were all interwoven at the end in the most astoudning, breath-taking way.

With OotP, it felt so much messier. Like everything was bleeding into one big ball, and then the resolution was just like, "Huh." I mean, Dumbledore's prophecy: "You have to kill Voldemort or he will kill you...." Who didn't know that??!!

With Sirius, I was more disappointed than sad. I felt like I needed one more book to really get to know him, and then his death would have been a blow. As it was, I felt like I was on the verge of understanding him as a character, and then he was gone and it wasn't all that affecting. I felt cheated.

When Arthur Weasley was sick, I remember tears sort of welling up in my eyes, and thinking how sad I would be if he died. It would have been so utterly unfair, and it would have profoundly affected all of the Weasly kids. I think that would have been a much more satisfying, moving death. Not that I want anyone to die, but you know what I mean.

Umbridge was so a depthless villian. The good villians are the kind that you almost like even as they're slitting the throat of the main character, a la Tom Riddle. Umbridge is just annoying, and thus boring.

The whole thread about Snape teaching Harry and Harry's nightmares felt like it was dropped at the end in a really awkward way. It had the potential to be fascinating, but then she never did anything with it.

I don't know. For me, Sirius's death was a minor part of OotP. What stuck out for me was the lack of depth, the lack of solid, striking characterization, the lack of suspense. I was just so disappointed and angry. I'm really upset that I didn't enjoy the book, don't have any desire to read it again. Harry Potter, for me, has always been this wonderful place to go to relax, to laugh, to admire, and I felt so let down...

TK: It was like 900 pages of filler!

LM: I know what you mean... The worst part for me is that I really have no desire to go back and read it again. That is just so disappointing. I *wanted* to love it, but I just can't. And it's also ruined the previous four books a little. Argh.

So what did everyone else think?
  17. Rogue_of-Peace Jedi Master

star 4
    I understand what you're saying. It ranks third of the current books (3,4,5,1,2)

Yes, I felt Sirius died too early. He was one of my favourite characters, and I was even more intrigued when Snape's memory revealed that Sirius and James weren't GOOD back then.

Umbridge was annoying, and mostly "evil" for "evil's" sake. But I just have to laugh at how stupid she was throughout the whole book, ambitious, prejudice, and paranoid little bitch that she was.

Oh, and I really like the "side" stories that exist, like the OWL exams and the Twins business and departure, and the DA. I no longer like the Good-vs-Evil theme after reading MWS's works (good books!), which is another reason why I liked Book 3 and Sirius. With Harry Potter I am slightly altered: usually I enjoy the plot most of all, but with HP I enjoy the world and surroundings, such as visiting the Ministry and St Mungos (Why would wizards have Saints though?)
  18. JediWarriorYoda Force Ghost

star 4
    The thing that really bugged me throughout the book was how whiny Harry was... yes, I know he's been through lots of horrible things, but come on... he was so annoying through this book. I actually was shocked at Sirius's death because we really don't know him too, I read ahead and I kept thinking... why is she doing this... I mean people like him and it'll "hurt", but we haven't invested much time to him as a character such as Hagrid or Mr. Weasley, like LM said. I thought Harry being banned from Quittch(or however you spell it) was a cop out... She didn't want to write about it so she came up with a "clever" way not to have to. Though I thought it funny that she put all this hype into Ron being Keeper and he sucks big time. That's another thing, I was really disappointed with the "clues" that we had been givn earlier when she was still writing the story... I know there was something like we'd learn more about Lily, we learned a smigen... and also Ginny was suppose to have a bigger part... okay, she was more involved, but not to the same quality as say Hermione and Ron... bringing them up, did anyone else notice that the plotline from GoF with them "flirting" was almost dropped, there were hints of it, but absolutely nothing... Overall, I enjoyed reading the book for the book's sake, but I didn't feel it was anything like the previous books. Which could be a good thing or bad...
  19. LadyMairead Jedi Master

star 4
    I definitely agree with both of you. There was just something missing...

Anyway, I'm sorry I haven't posted in while, everyone! I have the stomach flu or something, so I haven't been very mobile for the last two days. The new post is about halfway done, so as soon as I'm feeling up to it, I'll finish.
  20. JediWarriorYoda Force Ghost

star 4
  21. LadyMairead Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks, JWY. :)

I've recovered fairly well today, so I finished the new post, and it's off at the beta's. It will up as soon as revisions are made.
  22. LadyMairead Jedi Master

star 4
    Thank you to Xaara and JWY for their wondering beta-ing jobs. I really appreciate it. :)

Hand over hand, they climbed up the turbolift shaft. Jacen could feel the pull in his shoulders with each movement. It was a strange state, to die by your own blood. His cells were attacking him, choking him, in a curious kind of involuntary suicide. It was harder to breathe as each minute passed, and he wondered if it was because his blood was mutating into that crystal shape or just because he was panicking. It didn?t really matter, because he was helpless to impede the progression of the virus or the panic, but he still wondered.

At least they had the spice, black vials that contained the twisting, shimmering thread, safe in bags on everyone?s back. Except for his, of course, because he wasn?t sure he could carry the additional weight. His body was heavy enough as it was

?I think we?re almost halfway up,? puffed Velena, her voice echoing weirdly against the uneven stone. There were two rows of handholds, side by side, and Velena was a little ahead of him on the other row. He had never felt like this, utterly unable to move any faster. Regardless of the situation, he had always known that, if need be, he could run a little faster, fight a little harder, keep walking for a little longer, however much more it took to get where he was going.

But now, he felt pushed up against a stone wall. He literally could not move any more quickly against the crumbling cords of exhaustion that snaked through his body. It was so strange to feel so spent after doing so little.

Actually stealing the spice had been just as effortless as he had predicted. Mechanics in brown jumpsuits were as invisible as shadows. He felt like a shadow now. A gray, dusty shadow of embers, the remains of a long-dead fire.

He paused and he felt Zekk stop abruptly, with terror, below him. Zekk was wondering, perhaps, if Jacen was about to collapse and plummet down the turbolift shaft. He wanted to laugh, but thought he should avoid adding ?delirium? to his list of symptoms, so he settled for a desperate, uneven exhalation of breath. Then, recovering his equilibrium, he turned his face up to Velena.

?Why didn?t Arête come with us?? He didn?t really care, but maybe it would distract Zekk. And if Jacen could concentrate on a voice, it made it that much easier to resist the sweet tug of exhaustion.

?Someone had to stay and watch the ship,? Velena answered with forced casualness, her eyes fixed on the endless span of white handlebars above. That wasn?t really true, because the ship was in a secluded docking area, and Jacen made a negative-sounding grunt to signify his dissent.

?This?isn?t really her thing,? Velena equivocated, biting her bottom lip as she tested the sturdiness of next handle. ?She?s more of the mastermind, supervisor type??

Jacen sucked in another breath and exhaled in a gasping sort of way, then asked dryly, ?How do you mean??

?What she?s trying to say,? Peerek began unexpectedly from below Velena, ?is that our dear leader is spectacularly uncoordinated. She would have been a liability in the event of hand-to-hand combat.?

Jacen raised his eyebrows at Peerek, who ignored this invitation to continue, his attention absorbed again in climbing. Jacen hadn?t realized that Peerek had been aware of their conversation, and now he wondered whether it was purposeful, that isolated obliviousness that caused people to forget his presence. As he looked down at the tousle-haired, awkward figure, Jacen thought that if the opportunity for unhindered thought ever arose again, he would perhaps spend it reevaluating the other boy.

?You?re kidding, right?? Zekk called up to Velena in a tone that suggested he very much hoped that she wasn?t kidding. Velena heaved a sigh, and her eyebrows drew together fretfully. She hesitated for a long moment, but then exhaled in capitulation and answered.

?No, he?s not. Hand to hand combat is not one of her?part
  23. Utuu Jedi Knight

star 2
    Now this is what I like. It's always nice to see small amounts of character exposition that cut off right before anything interesting comes of them. Oh wait, no it's not, it's madening. I wanted more about Arete from Peerek and Veleena. And more about them too. But I got shafted. Poor me. :_| But I did like the Jacen POV about the virus. It was very grabbing.

Arete is very cold, isn't she? It's vaguely disconcerting. Who wouldn't like Jacen? He's the hero of this picture. ;) More and more depth as we go along. Very good.
  24. LadyMairead Jedi Master

star 4
    Argh! It's 5 a.m. and I can't get to sleep. *gnashes teeth* On the bright side, I have put my insomnia to constructive use: The next post is half-finished already. Yay me.

Utuu: Thanks! Oh wait, no it's not, it's maddening. *laughs* Sorry babe. But you will get more later, I promise. Arete, Velena, and Peerek aren't going anywhere. And no, Arete isn't really the hugging and sharing her feelings type of girl. ;)
  25. jedishellyskywalker Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey y'all!

I've been such a bad lurker 4 a while! Sorry, LadyM! I am loving this story tho!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.