Shades of Gray -- NJO -- (links pg. 1)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by LadyMairead, Sep 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyMairead Jedi Master

star 4

Hey shelly, it's good to see you! Don't worry about lurking or not keeping up or anything; we're all busy. It's just nice to hear from you every once in a while. :)

In other news, my mother sat me down today and actually asked not-quite-seriously if I was on drugs. I think this bizarre mangling of a conversation was precipitated by the fact that I stayed up all night the previous evening due to a strange attack of insomnia. I feel compelled to share.

Mom: Ummm...How are you feeling?
    LM: The same as five minutes ago, thanks. *returns to book, rolling her eyes as she flips page*
    Mom: Are you sure? Because you seem a little...
    LM: *exasperated sigh*
    Mom: Don't do that! I'm trying to have a conversation...
    LM: I believe those require complete sentences.
    Mom: I'm just concerned, that's all. I'm your mother, it's my job. I just...well...you're not doing DRUGS are you?
    LM: *snorts (and not in a smack-related sort of way, either), and then looks up with a very serious expression* Yes, as a matter of fact, I am.
    Mom: Stop it, I'm serious.
    LM: So am I. You know those little white pills you found on my floor? That I told you were asprin?
    Mom: Yes...
    LM: Well, not so much.
    Mom: *huffs irritably as LM, still reading, turns a page in her book* You just haven't been getting much sleep lately! And I know all of the signs, I read them on those pamphlets...
    LM: *a moment of silence in mermoriam for those lovely folks at D.A.R.E.* That's nice, Mom. Really...splendid. And you're blocking my light.

I swear to God, the door of her closet is festooned on the inside with drug pamphlets, so that she can whip it open and peruse them at her leisure. And due to their utterly apocalyptic nature, the slightest twitch on my behalf is a sure indication that I am well on my way to becoming a junkie. For example: I didn't sleep last night, ergo I am mainlining heroin.

Honestly... If this keeps up, I may start to.
  2. Utuu Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ooohhhhh. Oy. I'm sorry. That's harsh.
  3. LadyMairead Jedi Master

star 4
    No, no, it wasn't bad. She was joking, mostly. She worries too much, is all. Still. I was trying to read. People should know better than to disturb me.
  4. jedishellyskywalker Force Ghost

star 4
    Ohh! Poor LadyM! I can sympatise, trust me! My friend's mum, (yes you heard correctly, my friend's mum!) asked myself and my friend Ann more or less the same thing! We just kinda rolled our eyes and said "Yes, we are hash-crazed stoners" then resumed watching The Rocky Horror Picture Show. And about the pamphlets in your mom's closet, Ann says her mum has BOXES of the things under her bed. Sigh!
  5. JediWarriorYoda Force Ghost

star 4
    So sorry for you pain, dear... Mothers: sometimes I think they are hell's demons...

Lovely post, but you already knew that...
  6. Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Sorry about that little mother worrying about daughter being on drugs thing...I can't really relate...since I'm such an "angel" child... ;)

Anyways...awesome postie!
  7. Saber-of-Light Jedi Master

star 4
    Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh.

Nice post :)
  8. LadyMairead Jedi Master

star 4
    Thank you, everyone, for your sympathy. ;)

LtJS and SOL: I'm glad you guys liked the post! Thanks. :)

The next post is actually done, although it's short, so it should be up in a day or so.
  9. jedishellyskywalker Force Ghost

star 4
  10. LadyMairead Jedi Master

star 4
    A huge thank-you to Xaara for her speedy beta-ing and apt commentary. :)

The greyness melted around him and he opened his eyes. Everything was unfocused, and he tried to swallow, but he choked. Panicking, he contracted his throat muscles again to no avail, unable to force away the tight dryness. The dizziness returned and he felt as if he would soon suffocate.

Then a white cup sloshed in front of his face and a hard voice commanded, ?Drink this.?

Still trying to swallow and incapable of focusing on anything but the paralyzing parchedness of his mouth, he ignored the order. The cup was shoved closer to his face and the directive was repeated, more loudly.

He grasped wildly at the cup and managed to close his fingers around it after a few tries. Tilting it near his mouth unevenly, he slurped at the water inside, unmindful of the trails that dribbled down his face. His stomach balked at first and he hiccoughed a little until the sensation subsided, then he drank more of the water, the entire cup, and swallowed a few times to reassure himself that function had been fully restored.

After a minute he looked up, cognizant for the first time that there had been a voice. It occurred to him jointly that the cup had not merely appeared, but had been thrust in front of him by an arm, a hand, obviously belonging to someone. He glanced around and his gaze landed upon the unlikeliest of visitors: Arête, seated a notable distance from his bedside, her countenance marred by an expression that looked at once repulsed and unnerved, her lip curling upward and her eyebrows raised. He suspected it had been an involuntary reaction, because in the next instant, her face relaxed into a somewhat more temperate, though no less dissatisfied, appearance.

?I was just going to leave a message on the table. I hadn?t imagined that you would wake up,? she said by way of explanation, as if desiring to leave no doubt that, had she any inclination of his regaining consciousness during her brief sojourn, she would have abstained. It was not a really a fitting beginning to any conversation, and tipped Jacen?s neutral mood directly into irritability.

?How long?? He started to speak but was immediately overtaken by a coughing fit. Although his vision was obscured by the tremors, he imagined that he caught a glimpse of Arête inching her chair a little farther away. When the fit abated, he attempted his question again.

?How long have I been here?? He had a surprisingly lucid memory of the events leading up to his eventual collapse, which he suspected was a result of his Force-induced trance. He had learned that such a state tended to preserve thoughts or events that would otherwise generally be lost due to the effects of illness or fatigue.

?A day or so,? she answered, still staring at him a little unnaturally. Without knowing why, he stared back defiantly, with renewed annoyance at both her inexplicable presence and inhospitable manner. Blinking and perhaps realizing that she had been gawking, she coughed and looked at the floor, gathering her thoughts.

?The mission was successful, and most of the base has recovered well from the effects of the virus. The lab team is still investigating the particular cause, but you?ll have to ask them for details. I?m certain a doctor will be by shortly to talk to you as well,? she informed him, recovering herself fully. He nodded, but then immediately regretted it, as the movement only served to increase the tilting feeling in his head. Sinking back against the pillows, he looked around again and noted the familiar white-washed walls of the med-ward. Recalling the incident that had landed him here, he caught Arête?s gaze once more. Steeling himself against his instinctive aversion, he spoke.

?Thank you for your help. I don?t remember much, but I know that you helped to save my life. I appreciate it.?

That unsettled look returned to her face again, though it was more subtle this time and he wouldn?t have recognized it
  11. JediWarriorYoda Force Ghost

star 4
    Only the Force could be so cruel to poor Jacen... nice post
  12. LadyMairead Jedi Master

star 4
    JWY: *grins* Why thank you, I think I'll take that as a compliment.
  13. Xaara Force Ghost

star 3
    Okay, being the "speedy" beta reader but the slowest reviewer imaginable, I have decided to come by your thread for another one of my annual posts!

?What did you bring all of this stuff for? We?re undercover,? Jacen informed him as he seated himself on the edge of Zekk?s bunk, a smile hovering on his lips. He spoke very deliberately, as if Zekk had perhaps misunderstood the reasons for their trip during the nine briefings and six meetings that he had sat in on. Gotta love Zekk! He's so unrepentantly vain it's hilarious to watch him. But then, underneath all that, as we find out later, he's a really wonderful friend. In some ways, he reminds me of Han: he has a self-loving and self-serving façade backed by a concerned and sympathetic nature.

Jacen, on the other hand, has seemed quite irritable lately. He provokes Zekk into a fight over something I knowthey don't need to fight about, setting off a chain reaction which eventually involves the entire crew. This was not an auspicious beginning for the team?s first mission. Inauspicious, indeed.

Ooh, that teaser post sent shivers up my spine! Great description there, LM. I can just see and feel everything that's happening?it's that graphic. Maybe I'll just do the dialogue for my thread, and you can do the description? :D

*rolls eyes* Everyone who posts on this thread seems to be just a tad insane. Well, anywho?

Aha! We finally figure out what actually happened in the previous post! Poor Jag?though he's a trained pilot and should know better than to walk through a dark alleyway. For goodness' sake, it's the first thing you're taught when you move overseas in the military. :) But despite Jag's temporary lapse in time management and intelligent decision-making skills, he's at least become more human and rather likeable. Not to mention he's the one who stumbles upon a cure for the entire base. *applause* That's my boy!

A maintenance crew. Despite his family?s connection to the military, Jacen had always harbored a quiet admiration for the Intelligence department, and he was quite certain that they could conceive of a better story than a maintenance crew. Just loved those sentences. But a maintenance crew is a simple and effective disguise, so it's a lot safer than anything else Intel could think up.

So we finally find out what's been causing the virus. Brown powder?wasn't there brown powder in Wedge's office, too? :eek: *jumps between Wedge and nasty stuff* Back, you savages, back! (Okay, you know I'm sinking fast when I start quoting Toy Story?)

The relationship between Zekk and Peerek is rather amusing to watch and definitely representative of their haughtiness. In more than a few ways, those two are quite similar.

"Jacen, you know your sister?s?friend?pilot?whatever, Jagged Fel?" That one just made me smile. Secret relationship? Yeah, right.

?How long does he have?? The question was asked casually, in her usual monotone, as if she was inquiring about the weather back on Kashyyyk.

?A few hours. Three, maybe four. It?s hard to tell. Just hurry,?
    Well, that certainly adds a bit of urgency to this mission. Keep it moving, crew.

*rolls eyes again* Now I know everyone on this thread is insane. Snerbling and wibbling, indeed. What do you think this is, Dr. Seuss? [face_plain]

"By the goddess, Peerek! Why is it that the only time you answer questions is when you shouldn?t?"

"Because you have a tendency to say things you shouldn?t," he snapped, with surprising vitriol. That unfocused look had vanished from his gaze, and as he stared back at Velena, her own eyes softened and an understanding seemed to pass between them. She shook her head a little and closed her eyes, as if in apology, then turned and continued to climb.
    Now I'm interested in the whole Velena/Peerek dynamic. You've shown a talent for creating interesting and complex ties between characters, and this one is no different. It almost seems like the team is made up
  14. jedishellyskywalker Force Ghost

star 4
    Poor Jasa...what's with that boy!
  15. LadyMairead Jedi Master

star 4
    Xaara: *grins* I adore your annual posts. They are endlessly entertaining. Zekk is terribly vain, and while I do agree with you that he is like Han in the sense of being inwardly sympathetic, I think his self-absorption is much more dangerous than Han's ever was. Because beneath it all, Han had a fundamentally independant and self-reliant nature, whereas I think Zekk is much more insecure and unstable.

Maybe I'll just do the dialogue for my thread, and you can do the description? *grins* Ooh, that would be fantastic! All of our problems solved...

Poor Jag?though he's a trained pilot and should know better than to walk through a dark alleyway. For goodness' sake, it's the first thing you're taught when you move overseas in the military. It really was an abysmally stupid thing to do, and I think it's really telling of the nature of his relationship with Jaina. He's so concerned about being late that he in effect risks his life to avoid aggravating her. She's very unpredictable in his eyes, because he doesn't really understand her. Most of that is her doing, I think, because she hides a big part of her life from him.

SNERK.

I wasn't happy with the way Arete came off at first, but she's growing on me. I don't think I put enough thought into her character before I started writing. She was just this image in my head that I should have taken time to flesh out before transeferring to paper. But, as I start to write from her POV, she's coming together a little better.

Then again, I say I should think about her more, but I didn't think about Peerek at all, and I think he's turned into the best OC. Your characters always surprise you, in the most unexpected ways...

Though in all fairness, I am rather addicted to Altoids, which are small and round and white and look a great deal like pills? *laughs* I'm a night person too. I don't think my mother actually thinks I'm on drugs, she just has a penchant for the melodramatic.

I think Jacen and Arete are both very strong-willed people, and they come from very different backgrounds (as we shall see more about later ;) ), so they have a hard time understanding each other at first glance.

I love it when you're not concise! Anyway, thank you so much for your thoughtful review and wonderful beta-ing. :)

shelly: *laughs* The Force is with him... *snickers*
  16. Utuu Jedi Knight

star 2
    Arete is not being very nice to Jacen. She is a most unpleasant individual. *clicks tongue* Such a shame. If your gaol was to make me feel pity for poor Jacen for having to deal with her, mission accomplished. She is turning into a very multifaceted character, I'll say that. And I suppose I'll have to admit that the evil, mean Arete is very engaging, so good work.

But don't think for a second that this means that I approve of Jacen-torture!
  17. LadyMairead Jedi Master

star 4
    Utuu: I'm glad you have some feelings about Arete, whether good or bad. :D Thanks.
  18. Rogue_of-Peace Jedi Master

star 4
    You love to give Jacen lots of abuse, don'tcha? When is he going to give some back?
  19. LadyMairead Jedi Master

star 4
    ROP: All in good time... ;)
  20. LadyMairead Jedi Master

star 4
    FYI the next post is done, and should be up in a day or so. :)
  21. jedishellyskywalker Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes!!! Postie soon!

PS: Voices has been updated! Please see my bio for the link...
  22. LadyMairead Jedi Master

star 4

Okay. So. The post. Or, The Lost Post, as I shall henceforth refer to it.

If you'll recall, I said the next post was done already. Well, that's not strictly true, because I decided to add on to it. Also, I've been completely sidetracked the last few days by this Harry Potter fic I started. And now, as I'm trying to finish off the post, I'm having MASSIVE block.

*bangs head against desk*

Kill me now. Please. I'll give you a popsicle if you do.
  23. Utuu Jedi Knight

star 2
    Really? Well, I disagree with the mrder policy, but I like the popsicle policy. Will you haunt me if I kill you?
  24. JediWarriorYoda Force Ghost

star 4
  25. jedishellyskywalker Force Ghost

star 4
    Curse you writer's block! A pox upon thee! (sorry, I've been reading Shakespeare again!!!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.