Shades of Green (What if Luke and Mara were married before ANH?) --Sequel up at The Saga!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by EmilieDarklighter, Feb 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmilieDarklighter Jedi Master

star 4
    Welcome, everybody! This story was written in response to everybody who read my short stories and told me I should write a long L/M story. Well, you got it. This will be very long.

Many thanks and lots of credit for story ideas goes to my marvelous beta reader, Amidala_Skywalker. You're the best, Am!

Also thanks to padawan_lunetta, Marawannabe, and RebelMom, for inspiration. They write some wonderful mush!

On with the stories!

They just stared at each other.

She was only thirteen seasons old, he, fifteen seasons. They were in the prime of their teenage years, in that precarious time when one is trapped between child and adult, and doesn't know which way to turn.
    He was a hotshot skyhopper pilot, and the best shot in the Outer Rim Territory. She was a brash young redhead, with a firey temper to match her untamed adolescent beauty.

They were so young. Too young to have done what they had just done.

"I present to you now," announced the clear, insistant voice of the judiciary. "For the first time, Luke and Mara Skywalker!"

Around them a ragged group of children and teenagers that were their mutual friends cheered and clapped noisily. To the right and left of them stood Owen Lars and Ben Kenobi, nodding, and sighing in relief. Beru Lars wiped tears from her eyes.

Luke and Mara continued to stare one at another, dumbfounded.

--------------------------------------------

The ride to their new home was a silent one.

The so-called "new home" wasn't much. It was really only an extension of the Lars' home, with a bedroom and a 'fresher. The new couple would eat meals and such with Owen and Beru, and Luke would continue to work with his Uncle Owen, only this time there would be pay. Eventually he'd have enough for a homestead of their own, and he and Mara would move off the Lars farm to start a family of their own. It was simple, really. The life story of a typical Tatooinian native.

Except that Luke Skywalker was no typical Tatooinian native.

He'd known that he was nearing the age, of course. He'd lost three of his best friends to Tatooine's arranged marriages in the past year. He'd told Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru he didn't want to marry, not so soon. He wasn't ready to give up his adventures, and his freedom. He wasn't ready to stop soaring the skies that called him daily.

For a moment, Luke considered the girl sitting next to him. Her very vibrant green eyes were closed tight, and she sighed, suggesting deep sleep. She was definetly beautiful, with all that red hair and her slender figure.

Uncle Owen made it very clear in his pre-ceremony speech that Luke was in charge of Mara's life now. In charge of protecting her. The very thought made Luke shudder. In the past, he'd barely been able to take care in himself. How was he going to bear the responsibility of protecting another life?
    Absentmindedly, he reached over and brushed a strand of red hair from her face. Now that he thought about it, Mara was younger than he was. Stang, she was a whole two seasons younger! How scared and uncertain was she, then, if he felt this way?

In the stillness of that single moment, the heaviness of the responsibility that had been laid upon him hit Luke full force. He stared sadly down at his young wife.

I will protect you, Mara. I promise you I will.

--------------------------------------------

Mara Kenobi Skywalker fumed in silence feigning sleep as her husband drove silently towards their new home. She recalled with a red-hot anger the events of the past week.

"How could you do this to me?" she screamed at her father.

Ben, who stood silent, only looked at his daughter as she vented her frustrations.

"Are you listening to me, Father? You've totally--you knew I didn't want to marry--not yet, anyway! I don't understand!"

"The Force has shown me that this is the correct path for you, my dear. In time, you will see it."

"And what of my training?" she spa
  2. Marawannabe Jedi Master

star 4
    13 and 15??? Good grief. I'm hooked Emilie. More please. :D
  3. EmilieDarklighter Jedi Master

star 4
    Tatooine has some...interesting customs. (According to me, that is.)
  4. RebelMom Jedi Knight

star 6
    Yikes! Arranged Marriage? It's actually something that I could see happening on an outer rim planet. Owen letting Luke marry Kenobi's daughter. This is definitely an AU. It'd be cool if they trained together as Jedi. Oh, the possiblities. Looking forward to where you take us with this.
  5. EmilieDarklighter Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, yes, the possibilities are endless, and they carry on past ROTJ. It's gonna be a long story. :) But what can I say? My beta-reader's story is the second longest on the boards. (Shameless plug for If The Mask Fits, Am!) I think Am is rubbing off on me. :)

Edit:BTW, I love your sig, RM. Poor Corran. :)
  6. MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 5
    Wow, what a start. I'm hooked. Can't wait to see how they work through things. :)
  7. Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I love it!!!!!!!!! This looks good!

Adding it to my active topic notification as soon as possible.

I have a story that really isn't along the same lines, but has them grow up together only to meet years later, but I have to finish it.

Looking forward to more!!!!!!
  8. padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    ooohh very good start Emilee! Unique and has GREAT mush potential (and plot too) I think. I can't wait for more :)

(Oh and I am beaming that my mush inspired you :))
  9. Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I'm here! :D *hugs*

Aww thanks Em! It was my pleasure beta-reading and brainstorming this and as I said this morning - Bravo, Wonderful! Hope I didn't miss anything, I had five minutes until school and everything was in a rush. Yup, I finished ItMF: Chosen One just a few minutes ago, so it can grow no more, until the second part, that is.

Ugh, look I'm rambling again. I cannot wait to see what you're going to do next. I must say that was a charming opening, bringing the readers completely into the plot straight away.

I await another PM! :p

Am [face_love]
  10. Marie_Jadewalker Jedi Padawan

star 4
    What a nice beginning, Emilie! (Pretty name, too!) I love the AU potential for this... Of course, Mara being Obi Wan's daughter can make for interesting plots too. I wonder why he saw fit to arrange her marriage to Luke of all people. ;)

~Marie
  11. EmilieDarklighter Jedi Master

star 4
    MJ2: And knowing Luke and Mara, they'll work through it the hard way.

J_L: Thanks!

Luney: Thank you. I worked hard (with mucho help from Am) to find a unique storyline. And yes, you do write inspiring mush!

Am: You finished it? Sheesh. I'm only on the eighth page, Am! I still have thirty-odd pages to go!

Marie: Thanks. The name wasn't hard. It'l reveal itself in time. :)
  12. EmilieDarklighter Jedi Master

star 4
  13. EmilieDarklighter Jedi Master

star 4
    New post tonight if Am is on to beta it!
  14. TorontoJediMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    I am loving this story. I definitely want to read more of it. :)
  15. EmilieDarklighter Jedi Master

star 4
    Toronto: Welcome aboard!

I'm sending out a heartfelt apology to all my readers because I left the notebook that the next post is in at the studio where I take Tae Kwon Do. I won't be able to post until tomorrow, so sorry!
  16. Lari Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Okay, you got me.

This is definitely unique, you don't have to worry about that! I'm very interested to see where you take them and to find out what Ben's plan is!
  17. EmilieDarklighter Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks Lari!

BTW, I love your sig!
  18. Jaded Skywalker Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Just found this and I truly can say this is a very unique look at Tatooine! It fits so well, however. :)

Great job and I'm looking forward to more! :D
  19. Tych_sel Jedi Master

star 4
    Definately an interesting premise. I'll have to keep my eye on this and see where it goes.
  20. TorontoJediMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    I can't wait for the next post. I think that when Mara discovers how powerful Luke is with the Force, she'll be much happier about Ben's decision.

What belt are you in Tae Kwon Do? I have a red belt in it myself.
  21. jade_angel Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Oh this has got me hooked and you're writing is catching. It was a good read, I hope you get more up soon. :)
  22. EmilieDarklighter Jedi Master

star 4
    Jaded_Skywalker: Thanks. I thought that the arranged marriage thing would work very well.

Tych_sel: Thanks, and I hope you stay with us!

TorontoJediMaster: ooh, high belt. ::bows:: I've only been taking for about a month. I just have a white belt. :)

jade_angel:Thanks a lot. I hope to get more up very soon!
  23. Marawannabe Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks to me??? Oh Emmi, thanks! I can't wait for more! Please tell me you remembered your notebook!!! *puppy dog eyes*

Please??? :D
  24. EmilieDarklighter Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, Mara, I remembered my notebook. But unfortunately, just as I got my notebook from the studio, Darth Writer's Block attacked me viciously. The post was unfinished, so I can't get it up. Fortunately, though, my dear beta reader Am jumped in and hacked up DWB with her lightsaber. I'll return tomorrow, with an extra long post.

Emmi? I like that!

I promise I won't rely on you forever, Am! I do have my own ideas for this story!
  25. Marawannabe Jedi Master

star 4
    I think Emmi fits you, and you needed a nickname. :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.