Shades of Grey (JA angst)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Ginger_Jedi, Nov 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight

star 6
    Title: Shades of Grey

Rating: PG-13 for subject matter. Please note this story contains references to terrorism. If that is upsetting to you, do not read any further

Summary: What should have been a nice holiday is ruined when Obi-Wan is forced to do something unpleasant?

Time Frame: Eleven years pre-TPM

Spoilers: None

Archive: If I?ve already given you permission, take it. If I haven?t, drop me a message at ginger_ninja85@yahoo.co.uk

Disclaimer: All recognisable characters belong to George Lucas. Everyone else is mine :) Lyrics at the end are from ?Stop Crying Your Heart Out? by Oasis. Love it :D

Authors Note: I decided that because everyone?s being so patient with my awfully slow updates on Ordeal that this month I?d give you all a little extra something.

I don?t know if it?s any good but?well I posted it anyway :p

Thanks everyone for being such great readers. Enjoy ^_^

The sky was as grim as an abyss, black and reaching out endlessly. Parts of the tumultuously cloudy sky were tinged with a light green, where the lightning, ever ready to strike down ruthlessly on anyone in its path, sparked and boomed. Beneath the tableau of dark energies, the grey sea churned uneasily, as if the water?s own natural movement made it queasy. The waters thumped mercilessly onto the rain-drenched, wind-beaten beach. The sand seemed drained of its usually bright yellow colour. Instead, each grain was a shade of grey, as unappealing to the eye as the approaching storm and restless sea.

It was here where I finally found him, standing precariously on a small rock outcrop, totally at the mercy of the elements attacking the beach relentlessly. Had I been unaware of his prodigious gifts, I would have known that, undoubtedly, he would lose his balance and tumble into the sickly sea. Yet even my knowledge of what he was capable of did not alleviate my intense anxiety. Jedi or not, Obi-Wan was in danger where he currently stood.

I rushed to him and quickly picked my way across the rocks, guided to the more stable of them by the Force. I reached his side and placed a hand on his soaking shoulder. The chill that had settled in him tingled upon my palm. He didn?t acknowledge my presence. I peered into his eyes ? eyes that were usually filled with as much light as they were awash with deep tropical blue and abundant green colour tones. Now those same eyes were as grey as the sand and the light replaced with shadows that not even the lightning could penetrate.

I called his name but he still made no response. His eyes were only half open, his eyebrows drooped with immeasurable sadness. His shoulders were slumped and he swayed gently ? probably more for exhaustion than the wind that tore across the storm-lashed beach.

He had experienced something today I had hoped would not have happened for many years when I had better prepared him for the emotional fallout. Obi-Wan was too young for what had happened and I felt sick and guilty for allowing it to happen.

We had come to this planet for a simple holiday but it had gone horribly wrong. Today, my fourteen-year-old apprentice had to kill a man.

This man had not been a good man. His death had been no accident. There had been no other choice. Yet this had been the first time Obi-Wan had seen what a lightsaber ? at full power ? could do at close range to another human. Before today all he had ever done was deflect blaster bolts and train in mock battles with his friends and myself. Today he was forced to stab a man through the chest in order to save the lives of the innocent public.

It is a tragic fact to admit that at some point every Jedi had to face something like this and therefore prepared accordingly, but after barely a year together, I had done little more than warn him that this sort of thing happened.

The man he had had no choice but to kill was a terrorist ? protesting about Force-knows what. At the time I had been more concerned for Obi-Wan rather than
  2. Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight

star 5
    Aw, that was lovely. Great amount of angst.

Nicely done. :)
  3. Wild_Huntress Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Wow... That was really nice Ginger! You did a great job capturing a difficult sort of thing. The premise reminded me a bit of this book we just finished in French class. Well done!
  4. Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight

star 6
    Thanks for reading Jedi_Suzuran and Wild_Huntress :) Much appreciated :D
  5. Jovieve Jedi Padawan

star 4
    That was very good, Ging.

Why wouldn't GFFA have terrorists? There are crazies everywhere. [face_plain]
  6. Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight

star 6
    Jovieve: I put the warning there because I felt it's a pretty sensitive issue. And it's so sad that there are madmen in this world just like that...

Thank you for reading! *bows*
  7. CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    A lovely portrait of a sensitive, gentle soul, enduring great sadness. Good job, Ginger. You paint him irresistable.

CYN
  8. Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight

star 6
    Ohmigosh thanks for reading Cyn!! [face_blush]
  9. Red_Jedi_Knight Jedi Youngling

star 3
    wonderful i loved it. short and sweet. well written.. i'm at a loss for words right now. thank you for writting it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.