main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. Hey Fanficers! In fixing the prefixes something happened and now you can't edit titles. Don't panic! We're looking into what happened and trying to fix it.

Saga - OT Shadow of a Doubt (Kanan/Hera)/ One-Hit Wonder Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Raissa Baiard, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Force Ghost star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Thank you to @Findswoman for beta-reading :riose:

Chapter 4

This mission had not gone the way that Hera had expected

She hadn’t expected the reason Moff Ramier was meeting with Adila so frequently was that they were lovers. She hadn’t expected this sleepy little park would be patrolled by stormtroopers. And she definitely hadn’t expected that Kanan Jarrus would kiss her.

When she’d heard the familiar clomping of plasteel boots heading up the path, Hera had stashed their binoculars as quickly as she could, her brain churning to come up with a plausible reason for being there—Were they gardeners working late? Biologists studying nightwings? Lost tourists? She turned to Kanan…

And suddenly his arms were around her, pulling her towards him. A jolt of surprise shot through her, but before she could even frame the word “what”, his lips were against hers, hesitantly at first, as if he were as surprised he was doing this as she was, but with increasing ardor as he drew her closer, one hand sliding upwards to the base of her neck, the other down to the small of her back, leaning her back among the the flower beds. Hera’s surprise melted into acceptance and more than just acceptance; she returned the kiss as eagerly as it was given, her arms twining around Kanan’s neck, pulling him against her. Time slowed, each moment measured in heartbeats, and the world was the warmth of Kanan’s arms around her, the brush of his beard against her chin, the scent of him...

The stormtrooper seemed a very small and faraway concern, at least until the vocoder-processed voice intruded into the enchantment of the moment, “I said what are you… Oh, I see.” Disgust dripped from the trooper’s voice as he regarded them; good Imperials had small use for alien lovers, particularly when the phrase was literal. “This is a public park, not some kind of….” He broke off with an inarticulate sound of distaste and a curt wave of his gauntleted hand. “Go find yourselves a room. And...er, take your droid with you.”

“Yes, sir,” Hera didn’t have to pretend she was breathless and flustered as Kanan let go of her and she struggled to sit up. “So sorry, sir!” Kanan offered her a hand to help her stand, but didn’t meet her eyes. There were red blotches high on his cheeks and he had the sheepish expression of a youngling caught not just with his hand in the cookie jar but with the jar broken at his feet and crumbs all over his face. He strode briskly out of the park, not looking at the trooper, not looking at Hera, hardly pausing to see if she followed.

“Kanan, wait!”

He stopped just outside the park’s gates, shoulders hunched and head down, and his boots seemed to be the most interesting thing in the Galaxy at that moment. “I’m sorry… I shouldn’t have… I…” The normally self-possessed Jedi stammered and stumbled like a droid with a failing vocabulator. “But it was the only thing I could think of.” Kanan’s eyes widened as it hit him what he had said, and he looked like he would gladly pull his own blaster and stun himself with it, if only it would get him out of this conversation. “I mean, the only way to explain what we were doing in the park. I…”

“Is that all it was, then?” Hera’s heart lurched. She’d thought maybe, just maybe, everything he’d said about love, about finding the one who could make it more than just another entanglement meant there was a chink in walls he’d put around his heart. That maybe there was hope… that he could be that one for her and she could be that one for him. “Just an act for the trooper?”

Kanan looked away. “Jedi… can’t…”

Hera’s fragile hope crumbled, crushed like the queen’s heart flowers beneath the stormtrooper’s boots. “Of course not. I’m sorry, too. I should have known.” Heartache bled into her words, and now it was her turn to look away. She pushed past him before he could see… No, those were not tears in her eyes. She would not cry over him.

“Hera…”

“No, it doesn’t matter. Let’s just get back to the Ghost.” Hera kept marching at a pace any parade-ground Imperial would have envied. She would not turn around. She would not let him see that she’d believed his act, that she’d believed him. She would never let Kanan Jarrus know that her heart was at his feet. They were colleagues, associates. Nothing more. She’d been a fool to think otherwise.

——

Chopper watched Hera storm back to the ship, Kanan trailing in her wake, and sighed in frustration. Organics. He’d never understand the illogical creatures as long as he functioned, and Kanan Jarrus had to be one of the worst for sheer nerf-headed irrationality. Oh, he talked a good game about detachment and not being led by his emotions, but anyone with optical receptors could see detachment was the last thing on his mind when he looked at Hera—and had been ever since he’d set foot on the Ghost.

And Hera...Chopper generally felt she had better judgment than your average organic (she’d had the perspicacity to rescue him, after all), but when it came to Kanan, she’d developed the unfortunate organic habits of ignoring the obvious and pretending that as long as you didn’t say anything, no one could possibly tell how you felt. The two of them had been tiptoeing around the bantha in the room for almost a year now, and it was, in Chopper’s opinion, high time they got on with it and told each other they loved one another already. What in the name of Industrial Automaton were they waiting for? An engraved invitation?

When Kanan had finally—finally!—fumbled and faltered his way towards a confession, Chopper had to keep himself from cheering that it was about karking time! He’d been ready to zap the interfering stormtrooper, but then Kanan had gone and done something truly and wildly illogical: he’d kissed Hera... not just kissed her, but kissed her until she was breathless. Typical meatbag timing on that… While Chopper approved of the kiss itself, he had to wonder why organics seemed incapable of taking decisive action unless they were neck-deep in bantha poodoo.

But after they’d gotten away from the trooper, Kanan went back to his old ways—Jedi don’t! Jedi can’t! I’m a Jedi so I don’t. Can’t. Never mind what I said and what I did. Jedi! Don’t! Do! Such! Things! Seeing the way Hera closed down at his words, it had taken all Chopper’s willpower not to break out his electroshock attachment and turn it up to eleven on Master Kanan Jarrus‘s shebs. Why couldn’t he just admit that he could and did have feelings for her? That the kiss had been more than just for show? Somehow, for Hera’s sake, Chopper was going to make him do just that.

Clearly, this called for drastic measures.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, @Raissa Baiard -- not since the amazingly wonderful DDCs on Artoo's Frazzled Circuits has ANYONE gotten a droid's voice so pitch perfect! [face_laugh]

Oh, you've given me the frustrated but I love you OTP feels for Kanera that I had with L/M until they got the clue already! =D= [:D]

OW!!!!! I too was riding high on a tide of hope with Hera until Kanan got all "rules and regs" on her. :rolleyes:

Drastic measures, indeed!

:p

3. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Okay. *takes calming breath* I know some people in the Outer Rim underworld that can fix this. They can make it explicitly clear that denial is most definitely not a river on a word in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well written, Raissa. It is sometimes hard to image the characters on screen weeping or breaking down emotionally.

“No, it doesn’t matter. Let’s just get back to the Ghost.” Hera kept marching at a pace any parade-ground Imperial would have envied.

Okay. *takes calming breath* I know some people in Imperial assertiveness training that can fix this. They can make it abundantly clear that passive aggressiveness is most definitely not preferable to outright aggressiveness.
    See above. :p ;) :D [face_hypnotized]
    Love it.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  4. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Now you have me waiting for those drastic measures and I refrain from a bowl of popcorn in my lap... this would not be overly nice.

5. Findswoman

Findswoman Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2014
    Ooh, what a squeeful treat at the beginning of this chapter, to be able to relive The Kiss, this time from Hera’s viewpoint! We get to experience her full trajectory of emotions, her complete astonishment and surprise that morphs into acceptance and more. [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] You really do an amazing job with that progression, and it really brings the romance of the moment to life in a way the cliffhanger ending of the last chapter couldn't. But—it of course makes also Kanan's Jedi-shall-not backtracking hit all the harder. I could easily gush on and on about what a Kute!Klueless!Kanan he is here if it all weren't such a huge disappointment to Hera. Here too her emotional trajectory is gorgeously written:

...aw man, I really feel for her here. :( What high hopes she had in that tender moment, and now they seem to be totally dashed, and he walks off without even looking at her—was it all just an act after all? I love the image of the crushed flowers here, especially since she herself was compared to one of them in the previous chapter. I love too that denial continues, but in a completely changed form: no, she is not crying for him, they are just colleagues, and she is not going to let him know that her heart is at his feet, thank you very much. ( =((! :_| !)

And good old Chop—I love his snarky takes on his two organic companions, "meatbags" and all (and yes, I think there's something to the fanon about the origin of his droid brain proposed in that one cartoon you showed me... cough HK [/i]cough[/i] :D ). Yes, that Master K. I. Jarrus sure is a consummate specimen of nerf-headedness, and yes, he is one of the few beings out there who can make the usually levelheaded Hera completely oblivious to the 800-kilo bantha in the room. I love the prospect of our clever little bwopper acting as the catalyst for getting these irrational organics to finally stop beating around the beebleberry bush about their feelings—and I can't wait to see what he has up those mismatched sleeves struts of his! :chopper: :D