main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Shadow: The Early Years. OC with Yoda guest appearence later on. UPDATE 21/11

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Black_Scout, Nov 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black_Scout

Black_Scout Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2003
    Okay I'm not expecting much of a response to this because most of the things I have posted end up near the bottom of the forgotten pile, but its worth a try I suppose. Not that I mind getting a response at all.

Disclaimer - Star Wars isn't mine, okay? And no amount of wishing will make it mine :( , oh well

Summary - An ex-jedi created a child, Shadow, strong in the force, through genetic experimentation. He decides to raise her with his wife rather than give her to the Jedi, but feels he must train her to use the force. This is the story of Shadow's early years

Shadow

The Early years

Prologue ? As a Baby

Jaclan could hardly believe what he had done; after so many failed attempts to finally succeed was unbelievable even though the evidence lay in his arms. Jaclan?s passion was genetics, and despite his force gifts and spending many years of his life as a Jedi he could no longer ignore the urge to discover more about life. He left the order aged fifty with his ultimate goal being to create life, in a way no-one had ever done before.

Cradled in his arms was the result of years of secret work. Genetic experimentation was not illegal, but he figured if people found out what he was doing then his work would be banned. A tiny baby slept peacefully in the crook of his arm; her tiny form was barely a shadow against her creator?s chest. It was how Jaclan formed her name; he wanted to call her something rare, or unheard of. Shadow; it was perfect.

His painstaking work involved making DNA and chromosomes, copying elements from other genetic samples so he could create his ultimate human being. He had designed her so that her body?s cells would regenerate every fifty years so she would never advance in age beyond approximately twenty-five, and theoretically she would never die. Her learning ability was enhanced so it would take her less time to pick up and understand things. One of the traits he was convinced had helped this baby survive to the point of being born was the fact that she was a force sensitive; but there was no way that Jaclan was going to hand his child over to the Jedi, especially after he himself had left. He intended to teach the child himself, at his quiet and secluded home. He owned a large amount of land in the area, which was set in one of the many valleys on the distant and peaceful world of Oasis; Jaclan?s homeland.

The baby began to stir in his arms; she was getting hungry meaning Jaclan had to return her to the closest person she had to a mother. Once he was sure there was nothing more he could do to ensure the baby?s survival to birth Jaclan implanted the foetus in the womb of a close friend who could not have children of her own. Kay-Lee was thirty three standard years of age and had helped Jaclan keep his operation secret in return for the chance to be the mother to one of his creations. She had also become his lover. Her disappointments had been many, but she had been delighted when Shadow was born, small, but perfectly strong and healthy.
    Jaclan moved back inside from the back porch of his grand home. The view was fantastic; you could see far beyond the end of the gardens and into the valley beyond. In the morning the mist would roll across the valley creating a mysterious effect but when the sun shone through it appeared as though there were rolls of golden silk across the valley.

?Jac?? Jaclan?s attention was drawn away from the view out of the transparisteel windows, by Kay-Lee?s soft call. He had returned Shadow to her and she was happily feeding.
    ?How are you going to keep her a secret from the Jedi? I?m scared they?ll find out and take her away from me. I don?t want that to happen; the Jedi are scary, especially that green troll one who hits you with that stick every time he sees you.? Jaclan chuckled softly at Kay-Lee?s description of Yoda, though he couldn?t disagree.
    ?Kay-Lee, sweetheart, I promise you that no-one will take Shadow away from us if I have anything to say about it. She?s going to be the best daugh

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Intriguing premise. I'm curious as to when this takes place and why Jaclan would believe the Jedi would simply come and take the child from them.

Nice start, I look forward to more. :)

3. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Excellent beginning.

the Jedi are scary, especially that green troll one who hits you with that stick every time he sees you

No...not the lovable Yoda :p

I really like the OC's you've created.

Looking forward to more!

=D= =D= =D= =D=

4. Black_Scout

Nov 10, 2003
    Healer Leona Thanks for reading, and replying :D ! This takes place about 250 years before the Phantom Menace, and Jaclan doesn't so much think that the Jedi would take Shadow away, he's more worried that he wouldn't beable to say no to them if they came to see her.

KELIA Thanks; I really love Shadow as well, she's the first OC I ever came up with and I have developed her character so much over the past few years, but I have always worked with her adult self, but now I'm starting to think more about her childhood and when she was a initiate/padawan

Next post tomorrow, hopefully :D

5. ninja_noodlehead

ninja_noodlehead Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2005
    Great fic so far Suzy.
    Hope you post more soon. It's great, what i've read of it anyway.
    Love the description of Yoda. Makes me [face_laugh].
    More more more...

6. Black_Scout

Nov 10, 2003
    Hey Nin, Thanks for reading even though you've read most of it already. [everyone else] please note Ninja_Noodlehead is my sister, just in case you were wondering, not that you would, and I'll stop wittering now.

I once got asked about my speak formatting because I leave lines between each bit. Basically I find it easier to read on other fics because I end up skiping it, for some reason, my brain prefers breaks between. So sorry if it doesn't suit you; its
    just the way I do it.

Chapter 1 ? One year old, and already a terror

Jaclan heard Kay-Lee groan and pull the bedcover further over her, right after the knock on the door that signalled Shadow was awake. He glanced at the chrono on the wall; it was barely four in the morning. He swung his legs over the side of the bed and made his way to the door. He touched the button next to the door, and it slide open with a soft whoosh. Shadow was stood at the door, her short, feathery blonde hair was messed up from sleeping, and her eyes brown/grey eyes were still slightly blurred from sleep.
    ?What do you want Shadow?? He asked quietly so as not to disturb his wife; the couple had married three months ago.

?Hungry!? She replied not quite so quietly, and presented him with a bowl. She was not tall enough to climb on to the kitchen work surface and reach the food; she could however get to the cutlery and other such things. Jaclan sighed; he knew that if he refused to get her anything she would try herself and effectively create much more work for him in the long run.

?Fine, let?s go down and I?ll get you something. What would you like??

?Food.? She replied basically.

?I had figured that much sweetie. What sort of food??

?Nice food.? Jaclan groaned audibly, she was only one year old but she already knew how to be a terror. He dreaded to think what she would be like as a teenager. She turned and walked, some what unsteadily, towards the stairs. Her wobbling gait amused Jaclan, her weight tipped from side to side as she walked and occasionally she would lean too far one way and fall to one side. She did not quite have the hang of walking but would charge on regardless of her unstable footing. Jaclan had to admit she was more gutsy than he had wanted her; a more docile Shadow would have been easier to handle, but at least life was interesting.

Once in the kitchen he lifted Shadow on to the table. ?Sit there while I find you something.? He commanded.

?Want scream.? She demanded pointing to the freezer.

?Scream?? Jaclan repeated trying to fathom what she wanted.

?Me-scream,? She elaborated, jabbing her finger in the direction of the freezer. Jaclan realised what she wanted.

?Its Ice-Cream dear,? He said pronouncing it slowly for her, ?and no you can?t have that its only as a treat.?

?Peas!? She said slowly.

?We don?t have any peas!?

?No, i scream peas,?

?No Shadow, you cannot have ice-cream,? He said in his most stern tone, ?Now how about some muja fruit instead?? Shadow was not happy.

?Scream!? she yelled and flung her arms down rather violently and everything came spilling out the cupboard and Jaclan had to fling his arms out to force-protect himself from the avalanche of pans and food-stuffs falling towards him.

When everything had settled on the floor Jaclan looked up to find Shadow clapping her hands and laughing at her father trapped in the centre of the room by the contents of the kitchen cupboards.

?What happened in here?? exclaimed Kay-Lee as she ran in the kitchen wrapping a bathrobe around her.

?Shadow was just getting in touch with her force powers,? Jaclan replied in a grumble.

?Oh sweetie, are you okay?? Jaclan opened his mouth to reply only to find his wife cooing over their daughter who was perfectly fine and smugly smiling to herself. How a one year old knew how to be smug he would never know.

?Don?t worry about me I?ve just almost been hit by a multitude of pans etc. You know, I?m fine,? Jaclan muttered sarcastically.

?Sorry Jac, you know what it?s like maternal instincts taking over,

7. ninja_noodlehead

ninja_noodlehead Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2005
    V good suzy. After reading it twice already i am wanting the third chapter posted ASAP plz. I need it. LOL!

8. Black_Scout

Nov 10, 2003
    Thanks Ninja

Chapter 2 - Unwelcome Guests

Jaclan was not happy. This morning he had received a call from the one and only Master Yoda, announcing that he was heading his way and would be calling on him later that day, with another member of the council. He knew he had been stupid to think he could hide Shadow forever, but still she was just two years old and there was so much more he had to offer her, before he was pressured into sending her away; not that he intended to.

He had not told Kay-Lee that they were coming; it would only distress her and cause him more trouble. She was going to the capital city, Obis Latum, to meet her sister for lunch. It would mean she was out of the way all day and hopefully Jaclan would have gotten rid of Yoda by the time she got home in the evening.

Shadow was, of course, completely oblivious to Jaclan?s worry and who was coming to visit them. She was entertaining herself by making a lot of mess with her blue milk, which she was swilling round to make tidal waves, therefore slopping the milk all over the table, and herself for that matter.
    ?Shadow stop playing with your milk, and drink it.? She instantly stopped. The tone of his voice had caught her attention, she maybe cheeky with her parents most of the time, but knew when it was not a good idea. She drank the remainder of the milk, not that it was any less messy; it was possible she split more trying to drink from the large cup than when she was creating waves in it.
    ?Me a mess,? She announced to Jaclan. He surveyed his daughter and decided he would definitely have to redress her. The white body suit Kay-Lee had dressed her in was now a vivid shade of blue, right down the front.

Just as he was pulling a clean top, this time yellow, over her head he heard the door chime. He put her down and she tottered off now wearing tight yellow top so she didn?t get caught on anything and baggy brown shorts, to allow her freedom of movement and the dirty wouldn?t show on brown. Jaclan figured that was how Jedi cloaks always used to appear so clean no matter how many times they were slung on to the ground. Part of him didn?t want to answer the door the other part of him wanted to run and fling the door open. In his time as a Jedi Yoda had been, as he was for all Jedi, one of the most important people in his life. Things had changed but he still valued his old teacher.
    He took a deep breath and pressed the button to open the door. The first person he saw was a tall human male. His hair was short and black, but had white tufts that he was sure were natural; he knew from experience that ageing was not so specific. The cloak and visible lightsabre on his belt identified him as a Jedi. Jaclan then proceeded to look down and sure enough there stood Yoda, small as ever, but he appeared somewhat older than Jaclan remembered. The crown of the green alien?s head was largely devoid of hair and the remainder of the grey mane was thinner, if only slightly, but still visibly.

Jaclan stepped to one side and gestured for them to enter.
    ?A long time it has been Jaclan,? Yoda was first to speak.

?Very true master Yoda. Who is this?? He asked more informally than he intended, indicating the human male in front of him.

?I am Troxin Sayer. I have heard of your genetic expertise Mr. Dantin. Has your work yielded any results?? Troxin couldn?t help but ask. He was desperate to know the source of this disturbance. On the long flight to Oasis it had struck him that it may be possible to genetically engineer someone with a very high midiclorian count. As a former Jedi it had to be of some interest to Jaclan.

Jaclan led his guests to the living room and invited them to sit as they talked. When Sayer asked the question Jaclan hadn?t replied instantly, but paused contemplating whether to tell the truth about Shadow. He had no choice; if he lied Yoda would see through him like he was made of glass.
    ?Yes, actually more than I had hoped for. I have a daughter; called Shadow. She is the result of my experimentation.? He answered shor

9. Black_Scout

Nov 10, 2003
    Chapter 3 ? Introducing? The Lightsaber!

Jaclan knew that today was the day he would do it. Shadow had been doing even better than he had expected in her lessons on using the force. She took to things very quickly and was already a big fan of a game called push feather, that Jaclan had learnt when he was a young initiate. Jaclan had now decided it was the right time to introduce the lightsaber into her lessons. She had been ready for it for weeks, but he kept putting it off because he was somewhat scared, but he did not know why.

Shadow was now a hyperactive four year old. The last two years had passed without any major incidents, or at least Jaclan liked to think that they had. He had had a mild heart attack a year ago. He had recovered exceptionally quickly but it had made him realise the toll that time was having on his body. He tried to push the issue of his health to one side, but could not deny that things that were once easy were a lot more laborious to him now. These problems seemed to have had no effect on Shadow, but since Jaclan had started teaching her to shield her thoughts he could never tell what she was thinking anymore. Unfortunately she had been a lot better at shielding that he had expected, and breaking the shields she had developed would cause her physical pain; as Jaclan had found out, when trying to glimpse at her thoughts.

Jaclan dragged his daughter away from her toys and brought her to their special room, as they now called it. Their training time had been dramatically reduced when Shadow had started school in the ninth standard month of the year. Her accelerated learning meant she was having a fantastic time and she had many friends now as well. The Dantin family?s home was a few miles from the rest of the village and they had rarely ventured down there, so Shadow had never really had anyone to play with. This meant that taking Shadow there five out of seven days a week was helping Kay-Lee and Jaclan get to know the other people they lived near.

Jaclan let Shadow warm herself up on the trampoline, which she thought was the best thing in the world. Getting her off the thing appeared to be the problem now; Jaclan had taken to catching her mid-jump and yanking her off the trampoline, much to her disappointment. To his surprise Shadow was not so reluctant to stop jumping today, and she clambered off the trampoline and joined him on the floor. Jaclan took a deep breath, knowing that once he taught her about the Jedi weapon there would be no going back on his decision to train her.
    ?Okay sweetie today I?m going to teach you something very special, and very hard, so you have to promise to be careful.?
    ?I promise I?ll be careful Daddy,? She smiled at him, showing the wide gap in her teeth where she had recently lost two teeth. That had been an interesting evening. Jaclan and Kay-Lee had been snuggled up on the couch when Shadow had run in crying and exclaiming that she was falling apart. Jaclan of course could not help but laugh upsetting his daughter even more and they had eventually managed to convince her that they would grow back.
    Jaclan brought himself back to the present, and used the force to summon the lightsaber from across the room. Shadow stared at the weapon in his hand.
    ?You teach me about a metal tube?? She asked looking confused and disappointedly at the hilt of the weapon in her father?s hand.
    ?This isn?t just a metal tube Shadow, it?s the very symbol of the Jedi order,? Shadow cut in before he could finish.
    ?The symbol is a metal tube, boring.? Jaclan sighed, deciding he would have to demonstrate. He flicked the power setting to as low as it would go.
    ?Stand by the wall Shadow and I?ll show you what this is.? Shadow shuffled over to the wall and sat against it. Jaclan pressed the activation switch and the lightsaber sprung to life. He swung the green blade in a short kata he remembered from when he first handled a lightsaber. Jaclan had always been a natural at using a lightsaber and it was like an extension of himself, which it was to all Jedi, but Jaclan had

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.