main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN ShadowCon VIII- SW RPG?

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Dork-Vader, Aug 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Hey gang,

I thought I'd post some info about an upcoming con here in town. I've never been to this one before so I don't know what to expect. Since I met some of you at MidSouthCon this year I figured this might be a chance to get the club some exposure and maybe pick up some more closet SW fans.

When I contacted them they mentioned that they didn't have any Star Wars role playing games lined up, but would love to have some. I'm not a big RPG'er myself- more of a comic geek, but wondered if any of you might be interested?

There's also a costume contest- always good entertainment- right?!

Anyway, if you're interested their website is- http://www.shadowcom.org There's email contact info there, as well as all the other con info.

It's in January and I plan on being there. I'd also be glad to help with a display or table.

Lin

2. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Great idea, Lin. I'll check out the site next.

I think the only RPGer we have in the group is Tim C. Regardless, the exposure would be good for the group.

Did I miss any other RPGers? Any of you interested in playing gamemaster for a SW RPG? (I know jack about RPG. I just pretend I'm a SW character 24/7 :p )

3. Star_Blazer_M31

Star_Blazer_M31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2003
    I'm a bigtime RPer, but I doubt that I could be a game master.

-Darth Grace*

4. Ima_Toydarian

Ima_Toydarian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2003
    Well, if you know of anyone who is and might be interested have them give the ShadowCon folks a yell. I'd really like to see the cons here in town grow a lot more. I'm not looking for SanDiego or WizardWorld con size (I'm not THAT much of a crowd person!) but it would be cool to see them get more media guests, dealers, con-goers, and a bigger variety of each.

5. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Ain't that the blasted truth. I mean, c'mon.... we have a crappy selection of SciFi Conventions here in Memphis.

And from what I saw, next year's MSC is going to look exactly like last year's MSC. I would rather work a table that isn't shoved behind a pole in a crowded hallway with 90% of the crowd not even remotely interested in your field of interest!

6. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Yeah, kind of a bad place for you guys last year- it was so dark that I really didn't pay attention until after I ran into you all at the costume contest. Maybe some other lighting- or the digital projector could help. I've got some of that orange rope light from the haunt- it's about 10' long per section.

I've been emailing all the comic folks I know about the local cons- most of the guys are either from the Memphis area, or have family here. I'd love to see Dark Horse set up a booth here. DC did back at the last FantasyCon in '92 that was GREAT! It wasn't huge, but had penciled pages/previews of upcoming books, freebie buttons and glow in the dark Green Lantern rings, and were showing an episode of the Animated Batman cartoon before it had been released- plus 4 artists and an editor. It was a blast!

Did any of you get to sit in on the planning of any cons? Just curious as to what that's like. Did they charge you for your space?

Well, maybe if we continue to hit some of the smaller shows in this area they'll grow. I know Wonderfest in Louisville seemed to double each year I went! Also, MSC seemed toget some decent press last year.

Lin

7. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Lin: Rhonda and I went to one MSC planning meeting. We couldn't believe the level of disorganization, and after attending the Con, we weren't surprised at all by what we saw. Luckily, we got the table for free.

It would work better, in my opinion, if things were set up in an actual convention hall instead of the corridors of a hotel. Their traffic patterns were a nightmare, and hindered things more than they helped. That, and they choose the worst part of town to have a convention. I told them that they could probably rent one of the large, empty department stores from one of the local malls for a decent rate, thus providing more than ample room for anything they could possibly imagine. (And there are plenty of empty department stores in several of our malls, not to mention everywhere else.)

Maybe we should start our own Con. How about we throw one in my back yard. TimmyCon could catch on, I'm sure.

8. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    "Maybe we should start our own Con. How about we throw one in my back yard. TimmyCon could catch on, I'm sure."

And our special guest is- Timmy!

Special Media Guest- Michael Sheard!

Actually I've kicked around the idea before, and even asked Ron at Comics and Collectibles if he ever thought about doing another FantasyCon. He told me, "Sure, all the time- then I come to my senses!" He told me how much work they can be! :eek: He had a lot of support from DC and a lot of the guests LOVED coming to Memphis, but it just got t be too much work and expense. Some of the con-goers liked to trash rooms and rip the hall light fixtures out of the walls and such.

After having dealt with the various Jaycees around town with haunts, and having been to one of their planning meetings I can imagine what kind of kaos you encountered with the MSC. If you or any of the gang are willing to do it again I'd be glad to help out.

As far as a location- yeah, plenty of empty space around town (my old shirt shop in the M.O.M. is one of them!), but are they close to a hotel? You've gotta have a place for them to stay unless you want Admiral Ozzel crashing on your couch!

I've been to a few other cons/shows around town- some in even worse parts of town (The Ramada on Brooks Rd. anyone?) I've also tried to get more comic signings here in town. Kinda tough right now. People are either too busy to drive/fly in, or have other appearances scheduled.

Anyone have any type of Star Wars contacts and a crap-load of cash they're willing to burn?

Lin

9. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Unfortunately, Lin, I spent the last bit of money from my Swiss bank account on the last Drive-In Night.

A SW Con would be great, but we have neither the resources nor the membership to get things going, much less finance such a thing. And then George would want his cut, which would doom us.

Maybe we could call it ForceCon.

I dunno.

10. Aravis_Antilles

Aravis_Antilles Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2003
    I have a bit to contribute.

ShadowCon, I know would love to have you. We can also run an RPG at MSC.

MSC. Will not be like last years. Bigger and meaner. Memphis won the bid for DeepSouthCon this year, and this year it will be a Con and a half, one of the organizers told me. It may be worthwhile to try the table again. And perhaps do a bit more orchestration, and even an interactive presentation this time?

Yes, Michael Sheard will be there again, but this time the organizer said that there will be over 400 guests due to the con and a half concept (no pun intended.)

ShadowCon is an awesome place to be for RPG, as well as the costume contest. I know I shall be attending, ('cause my Poppa Kane and Mom Ilissa run it) and I hope you guys will too. Awesome stuff there.

I am a huge RPGer, lately. My DMing needs work, but I may be able to DM well soon.

Do we have enough books and info to be able to schedule an RPG at a meeting soon? We can give you guys a taste of what we're talking about. That would be a hoot.

Tim, PM me or call me and tell me if scheduling a Fan Force RPG nite would be a good idea, k? I think J has some of the books.

Joy

11. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Cool- we have someone with connections!

I've never been to a ShadowCon before- I'm not much of a RPG'er, or even a board or video gamer for that matter. I do dig cons, though. When I first started going to Wonderfest in Louisville, KY (toy and model show)it was probably the size of this year's MSC or a bit smaller. Now the thing has gotten HUGE- not SanDiego or WizardWorld huge- but HUGE by what we have around here!

I'd heard something at the last MSC about them being a DeepSouthCon, but didn't know what that meant. Glad to hear it means more people!

Lin

12. Smokem_Alien

Smokem_Alien Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2002
    You know that's not such a bad idea, having a Suspicious Mind Trick rpg meeting. I've got several of the books along with a starter adventure. If you guys are interested we might could even start a living force campaign.

Tim C.

13. TheDarknessX

TheDarknessX Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Hey I never RPG'd But I am will to learn! Good to see ya back on here Tim C.! stick around a bit as things are about to get interesting with the group... I hope!

14. Aravis_Antilles

Feb 20, 2003
    Tim C., will you PM me and tell me what you've got? We'll confer and then post a char sheet on the boards here to let others start on their characters.

The way my little group does it is to play ring-around-the-rosie with DMing. one player plays the DM and his character for awhile, and when the time is right or someone has a great idea (or the present DM runs out of ideas) we find a new one and pick up where we left off. We can take turns, if you like, Tim. I know Jay is an incredible DM, I'm alright, I know you play, and maybe after they get the hang of it other players may decide to give it a whirl.

Also we need to figure out exactly how much dice-rolling we need to use. My group doesn't use much at all(we use the pick-a-number system), and others are quite heavy.

Anyhoopla, after that long shpiel, who's bringing the drinks? {grin} :-}

When, Where, Who, and Why? I'm open.

Joy

EDIT: OK. Sorry. Was in a hurry and typed too fast.

What I'm saying is that once everyone gets acquainted with Role-Playing, they can take a turn, if they like, at DMing, or Dungeon Mastering. They are called the Storyteller, in some games.They are in charge of coming up with the situation for the characters, the response to the characters, and the NPCs (Non-player Characters). It's a lot of fun, sort of like writing a novel where the characters have a mind of their own.
    And I was asking Tim if he had any Character Sheets. These are paper records of your characters capabilities, strengths, weaknesses, and background that you or your DM can look at when a dice roll is needed.
    Dice are used to make the outcome of a situation random. If you, playing a Jedi that was moderately trained, decided that you were going to jump from one building's roof to another, the DM would call for a dice roll to see if you make it. Allowances would be made according to your level as a Jedi and your dexterity and strength, making it as lifelike a chance as possible.
    When I play, we use VERY few dice rolls. Most is left to the DM. Only those things which are major plot points or are truly unlikely are rolled.
    Sorry about the confusion. Does that help? {sheepish grin}

15. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Please tell me I'm not the only one who has no idea what Joy just said. :confused: [face_blush]

16. Star_Blazer_M31

Feb 21, 2003
    Hehehe. Of course I understand what Joy is saying, 'cause we RPG a TON.

I'm highly in favor of an RPG night. We have enough in our group to help out any of you who are clueless. Ya know...interrupt you constantly because you're doing it wrong...whoops, did I say that outloud? Rats!

Anywhoo, maybe we could give it a try sometime. Perhaps give you a brief demo session and then allow everyone to jump in.

-Darth Grace*

Oh, and for the record, I think an excessive amount of dicerolls SUCKS.

17. Aravis_Antilles

Feb 20, 2003
    You deserve hanging, Darth Grace. Remind me to do that when I DM.

Hanging, dismemberment, and disembowelment.

That should complete my shopping list.

Anyway, I wish I could have the party at my place, but it's difficult due to the fact that I live in a dorm room. Any offers?

Joy*

18. Star_Blazer_M31

Feb 21, 2003
    Yes. I will remember to shoot you before you even move.

And don't look at me; you know how my mom is about having company. :mad:

-Darth Grace*

19. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    OK, I'm with Traci...y'all lost me back there on Route 9 about five miles back.

Good to see you again, Tim C and Sal. I was wondering if everyone had abandoned the SMT for greener pastures, which is why I went out with a pooper scooper and cleaned up all the cow patties from ours.

So, I'm willing to give this RPG stuff a try, if y'all are willing to be patient, especially since I have a severe problem of playing by the rules.

Anybody willing to let the old fart play? :p

20. Aravis_Antilles

Feb 20, 2003
    Sure Tim.

Tim C. Has a beginning campaign, and I can come up with something real simple, I think.

Do you want me to post a character sheet here or just make up a character on the spot?

*Joy

P.S. Sorry about the fast talking. Grace and I are both back on LAN connections at the U of M and we have a tendency to type too fast resulting.

21. TheDarknessX

TheDarknessX Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Me lost... Me Sal.... Me play.... how???

You lost me at hello~

22. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Ah, sal- you're such a romantic...(snif!)

I wouldn't mind learning- as long as it's after October. I'll be busy with Nightmarez until early November, but the Shadowcon isn't until January, right?

I've played D&D once, and Chill(er?) twice so I wasn't completely lost on the RPG'ing explanation!

Lin

23. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    You're one ahead of me, Lin.

I wonder if I could get in touch with Todd Rowland from MSC? I know he's a SW Fan, is really nice, is normal, and a big RPGer (or CCGer....can't remember.) I remember him telling me about some of his groups SW RPG games. Sounded like fun.

We should set up something.

24. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Ok, if you've read the SWRPG thread you know the gaming meeting was a bust.

I'm going to say that the SWRPG'ing for ShadowCon is going to be a no-go...

I've also had a few folks tell me they probably won't be going or work the table. I've got some table space resevered and WILL be there selling my wares (even though my ex-business associate Mitch will be the artist guest of honor..'shudder') I'll be glad to promote the SMT while I'm there. I'll get with Tim, Sal, and Rhonda about what to take.

I hope many of you decide to come out and check out the con. We don't have many around here and if we're going to they're going to need folks attending.

Lin

25. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    And Lin is correct- as of now, ShadowCon is most definitely a no-go. Since many of us know absolutely nothing about RPGing, we could serve absolutely no purpose at ShadowCon other than standing around, trying to promote the club.

If anyone wants to change this and dedicate themselves to involving the SMT in ShadowCon, then please do so now. With about a month-and-a-half left before the event, we'd need to get the ball rolling. I'd be more-than willing to let someone who has RPG experience quarterback this one. Of course, keep in mind that you would need to be absolutely dedicated to this, and be willing to be responsible for everything it entails.

Lin: I'd greatly appreciate it if you could serve as our ambassador to ShadowCon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.