Memph, TN ShadowCon VIII- SW RPG?

Discussion in 'South East Regional Discussion' started by Dork-Vader, Aug 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ima_Toydarian Jedi Knight

star 1
    Not a problem. I'll be there hopefully with new MSCA comic books to sell, as well as some of my toons and such.

Haggle, the Toydarian
  2. Smokem_Alien Jedi Knight

star 3
    Tim I really wish I could do this and make it to shadowCon, but i just don't have the time right now.
  3. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    Man, I'm gonna be all alone with those vampire folk! Well, maybe if I cross my arms they won't see me...
  4. skip1 Force Ghost

star 3
    Just wanted to chime in on this con,

looks like a bunch of 501st members are heading that way friday.
    i think 2 from memphis,1 from Ar, 2-3 from AL,2 from KY and more from TN.
    so it could be a good turnout of Star wars costumes.
    doubt any of them will be in the costume contest ,but there hangin out all weekend.
    and i think they may set up a small fan table,but nothing has been confirmed on that.sounds like just a fun con to go and hang out.

skip
  5. Clark_W_Griswold Jedi Knight

star 1
    Skip: A few of us may crash ShadowCon, but we're not making an official appearance. Our RPG involvement became a moot issue when those in our club who knew something about RPG went AWOL. (We old folks know nothing of this new-fangled RPG stuff, and that's what ShadowCon is mainly about.)

Lin will be running a table there, so a few of us may crash the joint and keep him company if we can.
  6. Ima_Toydarian Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey, safety in numbers!

Skip:Was checking out the 501st SO site. Looks like you guys had a great couple parades! I'm hoping the SMT can do a local prarade or two next year. I'll have my jedi costume for it. I got my MR Darth Vader FX lightsaber last week!

BTW: Are you all planning to come to MSC/DSC this March?

Lin
  7. skip1 Force Ghost

star 3
    yes,
    we will once again invade Memphis for DSC/MSC.and im sure we'll have alot more troops than we will this weekend.not sure on our level of participation either.id like to do the table again and a panel but we dont have to.

this weekend's shadowcon was just something to do.we dont have anymore big events till march and the troops wanted somewhere to go.

instead of working a table and stuff we decided to just come and troop and hang out.lots o partying will be on the agenda!
  8. Ima_Toydarian Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, maybe it'll be a bit cooler for you guys this weekend! Any new costumes?

You guys (and gals) really made my buddy Antone's day at MSC last year when the troopers harrassed him for not having a permit to draw in public, and then gave him a t-shirt. That was too funny!

I'll be working a table, but I'm sure I'll make the rounds!

See ya there-

Lin
  9. skip1 Force Ghost

star 3
    no new costumes will be debuted at this con.anybody with anything new is gonna save it for MSC/DSC.
    like i said,this is just a
    " come and hang out con"
  10. Ima_Toydarian Jedi Knight

star 1
    Cool, sounds like a plan!

Looking forward to seeing the new stuff this spring.

Lin
  11. kellilla Force Ghost

star 2
    I may try to come on saturday, if I can talk one of my friends into coming with me. Will wear one of my amidalas, not sure which one yet. I'm tempted to wear rainbow/pastel lake dress since it's easier to put it on than the senate one, even if it's not as warm..
  12. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    It'll be nice to see you again, Kell.
  13. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    Well, I went by the hotel first thing this morning and NOBODY knew what was up! Ok, let me be more precice, the two hotle folks and one convention person I saw didn't know anything! I ran into my old parter first thing before heading upstairs and he was clueless- and he is the artist guest of honor! I did a couple errands and grabbed some breakfast before swinging back by. I found someone with the convention but she was waiting on the main guy to get things going. I asked when things might be going oday and she didn't know. She also wasn't sure on the times for it, either.

I'm at work now working on some signs and junk for the table. I'm going to head back in about 30-45minutes or so.

Man, you just gotta love cons...I still say we need to do 'TimmyCon'

Lin
  14. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    Ok, just got in from the con. My table is set up on the far left wall as you walk into the dealers room on the 3rd floor.

As far as I can tell the con opens around 9am or 10am. Never got the same answer twice.

Saw Skip and his wife as they were checking in. Also saw a few other 501st members out in the hall. Man, they've got 501st hockey jerseys!

Anyway, saw lots of the same folk from MidSouthCon, as well as one of our own- Joy.

That's it for me. I'll be there ALL day tomorrow...

Lin
  15. skip1 Force Ghost

star 3
    Just got home from shadowcon,
    well it wasnt what i was expecting but we made it fun none the less.
    we hung out with lin a few times and youll all have to just see the pics.
    the con wasnt big but no problem.
    there were a number of things most people never expected.
    Boba fett playing the imperial march on a guitar in the costume contest and then boba playing drums and dancing upstairs later.add that to a dozen bellydancers with stormtroopers and youve got yourself a party!
    we'll be back next year im sure.
    heres pics!!!

http://www.chris-campbell.com/pics/index.php?cat=11

skip
  16. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    Yeah, not what I was expecting, but fun nonetheless! I also got a bit of sculpting done, too!

Glad to see the 501st guys and gals there. Troopers, a bounty hunter, and belly dancers all in one room- that was hilarious! Who says the Empire doesn't know how to party! Oh, the trooper walking around the con while playing the cantina music was pretty funny, too. I'll get pics to you by this weekend. Looking forward to seeing you all at MSC/DSC this spring.

Thanks to Sal, Tim, and Rhonda for stopping by- and buying stuff! Good to see Joy and Chuck and his family, too. SMT represent! Oh, saw a guy dressed as a jedi. Gave him and another guy (who stopped by the table and talked SW for a sec) a flyer. Skip had some good pointers he gave jedi-guy on making lightsabers. Got a few shots of Lord-Skip and the jedi. Also got (I hope!) a good groop shot of the 501st, including a Padme, imperial officer, Boba, Vader, and the troopers.

Not a big turnout at the con overall, and I didn't sell a lot. I think there was more trading going on between vendors! I did sell one of my t-shirts to a blind guy..! I didn't stick around for the feast. I ran to the house, showered and changed, then grabbed a bite to eat before heading back to man my table.

Doubt I'll do a table there next year- they just really didn't seem to be into monsters or SW. More SCA types. I saw a flyer for Vampire LRPG, but really didn't see anyone there that looked the part. I did have one or tow folks say they hoped they'd ask me to come back next year- I was like, "Why..?"

If the 501st come back next year I may do a one day pass, and hang out to do the costume contest and parties afterward. Between the 501st showing up at this con and all of us at MSC, and with the new movie hitting next year maybe we can generate some more SW interest around here. I'm hoping MSC will continue to bring in some comic guests as well.

I thought the con was going thru Sunday, but I was told we had to have all of our stuff out of the dealers room by 11am. Weird, most cons I've been to the dealers' room would be open from 9-5, or 10-6. This one opened whenever they could get someone to unlock the rooms and closed whenever everyone was ready to- which turned out to be after 10-11pm! Man, it was REALLY laid back...

Bring on TimmyCon!

Lin
  17. Bama_Trooper Jedi Knight

star 1
    Glad to see a few of the SMT clan again! I hope your pics turn out Lin, some of ours ended up too dark! ugh!
    Yeah the Sat night party was a blast, I couldn't help thinking that it probably resembled a wild night at Jabba's palace!!!

-Bamatrooper
    TK-152
  18. Mkingsley Jedi Knight

star 1
    I've never been to ShadowCon because I've heard it's got a heavy emphasis on SCA and Vampire. Basically, kinda just like MSC.

I've mentioned it before, but I would really like to see a Star Wars LARP at MSC (Well, actually, any LARP that is something other than Vampire).

Regarding TimmyCon, if you want to do it, by all means, do so. Having an adequate supply of staff members (and, of course, volunteers) is what would make your con a success or not. MSC is basically run by a skeleton crew with a wide variance in the degree of leadership ability and experience. It's not easy to get feedback from your own members sometimes (as, I guess, SMT found out with its own experiment into RPG).

And this next probably belongs in another thread, but does anybody locally have a copy of the Star Wars version of the board game Life? Alan Ray has started up a new board game group with most games being played in Midtown. I've heard the SW version is shorter in overall game time, doesn't FORCE you to get married, and even let's you take a stroll down the Path of the Dark Side (WooHoo!). Might make a good addition to the board game lineup at MSC, as most people already know how to play Life.
  19. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    Bama: Good to see you made it home ok. I'm hoping my pics come out, too! I got a lot of the same, but a few others and/or angles the 501st didn't. I really dug the yellow tape. Thanks again for coming down- you guys (and gals) were a blast!

Mkingsley: My first time at ShadowCon. I hadn't heard of it before- probably 'cause I'm not in the SCA. I saw a flyer at Comics and Collectibles and checked it out on the web. I had a good time, better at the wrap party Saturday night! I'm still trying to figure out cons and how to make the best of them.

I did have a good time at MSC last year- mostly because of the added comics guests and their panels/slide shows, the 501st (and their costuming panel), the movie SPFX panel, and hanging out with the SMT at the costume contest! Hey, that's what got me involved with the SMT in the first place!

I'm hoping that the local cons will continue to attract AND include a wider variety of fans and genres. Everything from StarWars and Star Trek, to Universal Monsters and Godzilla, to Manga and Marvel/DC/DarkHorse. I'd love to see a few more mainstream guests as well. There are some celebs/artists out there that have a relationship to/with Memphis that might be easier to get. A model(kit) contest (and vendors) would be a cool addition to local cons.

My biggest gripe with loal cons is that they really limit their focus (and from the skeleton crew I've heard works on these I can understand why). For MSC, if you're not into sci-fi literature you're not going to know most, if any of the guests. I'm not saying you have to have an author like Stephen King that EVERYONE and their mother knows, or an artist like Frazetta, or an actor like James Earl Jones. But there are A LOT of folks out there that even make part of their livings doing cons that are more well know. Great, have that guest(s) that's a fan-favorite, but have at least a few others that the general public or fans of another genre (horror, comics, etc.) will be excited to see. Wonderfest has had guests that when I tell my friends or show them pictures they say, "Who?" Then I tell them what they did and they're like, "Oh yeah, them- cool!"

Since FantasyCon quit in the early 90's, there really hasn't been a local con with comics- other than an occasional small one day show. There never really has been a 'monster' one here in town, even with all the Vampire RPG'ers. I don't remember a StarWars related one, either- although I know I've seen a few Klingons at past MSCs! I just think the local cons are missing out on a lot of new blood, and turning off some of the past can go'ers. Why go back if it's the same thing over and over? Having a guest return is always great for fans who enjoyed meeting them before, and some even become part of that con's family, but cons around here just don't seem to be exciting or enticing anymore.

I know I need to call Carlin back- he wanted to talk con. If I can help out with MSC let me know. I don't know how involved I can be, but if it means making it more fun I'm game. I'll definitely be at MSC this year- and in costume! (I've turned to the DORK-side!)

Games, I don't have the SW Life game- I think I have SW Monopoly. I know we've played SW Trivia Pursuit at a couple informal dinner get togethers. Board games at the con- hmmm....

Oh, and TimmyCon will happen- even as Tim has said, we have to hold it in his backyard!

Lin
  20. Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA

Manager
    star 6
    Rhonda has the SW Life game. We have SW trivial pursuit & Ep. I monopoly.

So, I guess we should start planning the SMT/501st party suite for MSC? ;)
  21. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    SW life is cool. Its really fun! Is is shorter in game time. Yep Tracy, this year we're just hanging out in a party suite!!! We'll make sure we get one for the party and some for sleeping. :D
  22. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Joey: It was a pleasure to run into you and your wife at ShadowCon. I'll be looking forward to seeing you in March at MSC.

Skip: Sorry I missed you this past weekend. Glad to hear that you and your guys had a good time (and probably livened that place up quite a bit).

Chuck: I was really glad to see you at ShadowCon. I hope that we'll be seeing you at our next meeting. Nothing is set yet, but we should be having something by the end of the month.

Michael: TimmyCon is sort of a running joke at the SMT right now. (An 8-hour compact-con in my backyard. Your laugh here, and ours as well.) Who knows, it may happen someday. The whole crazy idea was born when Lin and I started discussing what we'd like to see in a local Con. I'm in full agreement with what he stated earlier. Sadly, considering the turnout I saw at ShadowCon, we could've had that in my backyard.

As for the SW Life game, they have it on sale for $9.99 at KB toys in Raleigh Springs Mall. It's a lot of fun. Trace, Rhonda, and I play it quite often.

And as for MSC, we're planning on skipping the whole table thing this year, getting a couple of rooms, and partying down. We'll be roaming the Con in full attire, with hopes of bringing the SMT to the people instead of making them wade through a crowded hallway in order to get to us.

Oh, and one thing I did like about ShadowCon was their location. It was much more open than the hotel MSC used. Granted, it was smaller, but it didn't feel claustrophobic. One of my suggestions for a Con location would be one of the three extremely large, and now vacant, stores in the Raleigh Springs Mall. Considering that there's a snowball's chance in hell that they'll ever be occupied again, someone could probably rent of of them for cheap, and then have something more like a convention setup instead of roaming around the darkened hallways of some third-string hotel.

23. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    Heck, for that matter the M.O.M. could be turned into one big a$$ convention center!

The RSM location would be cool for a one day show, but for con's our size a hotel seems better- just because you can party and crash!

I'd like to hit some of the bigger cons like SanDiegoCon, WizardWorld, or MegaCon- heck, even a DragonCon. The only ones I've really ever been to other than ones here has been Wonderfest in Louisville, KY (toy and model show) and the Superman Celebration in Metropolis, IL (which is more of a festival).

I've asked Ron at Comics and Collectibles if he's thought about putting together another FantasyCon. He told me, "Sure, all the time- then I come to my senses!" He did say he's got a lot of contacts and would be willing to give any advice he could.

Lin
  24. Mkingsley Jedi Knight

star 1
    Lin is right. A shopping mall location is good for one-day venues, but would be a logistical nightmare for multi-day events. Unless you're really, really organized.

And there would be no room parties. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

Also, a lot of the other things normally taken for granted (at a hotel) would become additional costs (at large, vacant mall locations). If you planned on having a hospitality suite, instead of using the hotel's ice machine, you'd probably have to pay for bags of ice and have a place to store them. Instead of using the tables and chairs that the hotel has available for functions, you'd have to rent those. For initial set-up and breakdown, do you supply your own labor, or pay someone to shlep stuff around? There are also insurance-related costs, and safety issues that a hotel would already have covered. If there is not an adequate supply of regularly-inspected fire extinguishers (and in a large, empty dept. store space, there probably won't be), you'll probably have to supply those. Are paths to fire exits clearly indicated? Location of First aid kits? Phone lines or lines of adequate communication?
  25. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    Man, for TimmyCon all we need is Tim's backyard, some coolers, a BBQ grill, some cheap SW decorations, and a bunch of SF fans- oh, and Tim!

Yeah, Cons and such are VERY involved- more so than most folks that attend them realize! Well, except maybe Rhonda who sets up stuff like that for a living- she rocks!

I've done a lot of special event volunteering for the Ronald McDonald House for the past five+ years- mostly with the Wake-Up Crew Radiothon, Big Scoop, Oscar Night, and Nightmarez(hoo-boy is that a handful!) I even tried to talk the RMH into obtaining it's own special event center (such as an empty WalMart, Kroger, Home Quarters, etc.) but that just didn't seem to fly- and I'm still not sure why...

Anyway, what kind of help is the con looking for?

What other kind of + and - feedback are you getting on the past cons?

Lin
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.