main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN ShadowCon VIII- SW RPG?

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Dork-Vader, Aug 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    I'd understand after a couple matches in armor- but first thing in the morning?!

2. Obi_J_Kenobi

Obi_J_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    heh, that's after a different kind of party and match....heh..nothing further said

3. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Yeah, after the belly dancer room at this one and the amount of alcohol that was being consumed...I probably shouldn't be surprised!

Oh, you should see Tim's youngest daughter make herself invisible and 'disappear'!

"Can't see me!"

4. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    I taught her that to mock the Vampire LARPers. Too bad we didn't see any.

SCA members who stink first thing in the morning. Maybe they just take it waaaaay too seriously and either a) sleep in the armor, or b) don't bathe often, just like people did in the Middle Ages.

5. Obi-G-Y-N

Obi-G-Y-N Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2004
    I think you're right!

'Right Guard' for most of them is probably a defensive maneuver!

6. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    "lol, yes there is a severe hygiene problem among the nerd community"

thank you for bringing that up!!!
    man, i have noticed this trend alot this past year,ive been to a number of conventions and events and these people stink!!!!!sorry to sound rude but when people smell that bad its just wrong.

and its not just a casual smell,its a "been working on it awhile" bad smell! i remember a few at MSC that stunk.im sure they will be there again this year.
    maybe we should bring some spray deodorant and just spray them as they walk past.

i guess it just adds to the "freak show" element that we all love to see at these cons and events.

7. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Man, you said it, Skip. There are some funky people at Cons. I think we should do a panel on hygiene this year.

Hmmm...

The SMT and the 501st present: "Toothpaste, Shampoo, Soap, and Water: Not just science fiction, but science fact!"

We could make it multimedia presentation, but I'm sure some 400 lb woman would tumble down the steps like Eddie Murphy's Aunt Bunny and delay us 45 minutes. Then the Con wouldn't allow us extra time because of the accident.

Oh, wait a second.... That's what happened to us last year!

8. Mkingsley

Mkingsley Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2003
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

I thought you were okayed to go over, and I remember telling others that the last panel would start late.

Who came in and usurped my high and mighty authority and told you to vamoose?

9. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    The SMT and the 501st present: "Toothpaste, Shampoo, Soap, and Water: Not just science fiction, but science fact!"

I love it! I'm afraid soapy water may act like Holy Water on some of 'em!

Sorry, Mike- I missed most of the 'excitement', but I do remember seeing the crowd!

10. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Well, you know it might kill some of the vampires.

Michael: Some lady ran us off, as well as the folks who were doing the panel after us, (and quite rudely on both fronts.)

11. Mkingsley

Feb 5, 2003
    I'm sorry. You're right. That was an Author Guest of Honor type-of-panel following yours.

Geez, I'm too young to be getting senile and/or schizo (Aren't I? Oh, just shut up and gum your creamed corn, Sybil!).

12. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Hey Mike- just so you don't think we like just slamming cons- I had a great time last year. The artists reception was a lot of fun; had a good time at the banquet; enjoyed the 501st, Eddy Zeno, comics, and movie fx panels (missed the SW/SMT one- or did it ever happen after the woman fell?); and if it hadn't been for the costume contest and meeting the SMT gang I wouldn't be typing this right now.

From what I've heard you guys are doing a lot of work for this year. I'm really looking forward to the art show again, and will be entering the costume contest. Heck, I'm even helping with the art show set-up (anything for a day off of work!) and have talked a few friends into coming who have never been to the con before.

Hope the MSC can continue to expand into other areas of sci-fi. I love seeing diversity at these things, and I think there is a fan base to support it- we just gotta spread the word and make it worth while!

Give me a yell if you need anything-

Lin

PS- Any chance of getting Timothy Zahn here next year..?

13. Mkingsley

Feb 5, 2003
    Tim Some lady, eh? I'll ask around. Probably one of the Board members (Board = the people who are in charge of finances and have to take responsibility for any gaffs). I'm curious as to who it was.

Lin Timothy Zahn is probably a no-go for next year. We were trying to get Peter David, but now it looks like that won't happen. I believe the next runner-up was Lois McMaster Bujold, who (like PD) tends to have a full schedule.

Timothy Zahn was a guest at MSC long before I moved to Memphis, but could certainly be invited back again. Certainly can be mentioned for 2006.

Personally, I would like to get Walter Jon Williams (who was mentioned in the "earthquake" thread) or John Barnes. Kevin J. Anderson (and wife Rebecca Moesta) would be another good choice.

14. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Michael: Walter Jon Williams would be good, but also Mike Stackpole, Matthew Stover, Aaron Allston, or James Luceno.

Oh, and I seem to remember the lady who cut us short having long dark hair, with some grey in it. She was sort of thin and lanky.

15. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Kevin J. Anderson

ACK! [face_shocked] *sputter* *cough* *breaks out in hives*

Sorry. MJFC knee-jerk reaction. [face_blush]

I've heard the YJK books are good......I really should read them someday.

16. Mkingsley

Feb 5, 2003
    People really seem to have a "love 'em or hate 'em" reaction to KJA. But he does cover a lot of ground in what he writes about, usually in someone else's backyard (Star Wars, Dune, Captain Nemo, H.G. Wells), so a wide range of fans are at least aware of who he is. He is definitely a good editor (WAR OF THE WORLDS: GLOBAL DISCPATCHES had a number of great stories), but it seems that as a novelist, he shines when he's in collaboration with someone (such as his wife).

17. Smokem_Alien

Smokem_Alien Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2002
    I'd like to see KJA there just so I can get me Dune Novels signed. I think they're pretty good, he should stick with Dune and sta away from Star Wars.

18. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I'm just glad to see folks know who an author is and not ask me- like I'd know?! Since high school if it ain't 'Splinter of the Mind's Eye' or the Han Solo trilogy I'm completely in the dark when it comes to the EU! My brother-in-law would know more and might come to a con for some of the SW, Star Trek, or Dune authors.

I'm pretty much a comics guy these days, and I don't do that as much as I did a few years ago.

Mike: Sounds like you guys (and gals) at the MSC are looking to bring in more mainstream authors and guests. I'm really hoping it works for you and the #'s continue to improve. I think there's a fan base here in Memphis and the surrounding areas to support it- they just have to be inticed with a good enough carrot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.