main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Shadows Before Darkness - An Anakin/Amidala Short Story

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by ami-padme, Apr 22, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ami-padme

ami-padme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 19, 1999
    Hey, everybody. This is my new fic. It's very short -- bascically just a scene -- set just after Shmi's death.

I love any and all feedback, so please tell me what you think!

2. ami-padme

Sep 19, 1999
    This story is set sometime during Ep. II (Anakin and Amidala are romantically involved, the Wars have started, etc.).

Where is he?

She had long lost count of how many times she had asked herself that question. Just thinking about it twisted her stomach.

Why hasn't he contacted me?

No answer for that one either. At least none that she wanted to hear. Couldn't he let her know he was all right? He had to know how worried she was. But there was nothing.

She knew how he was when something upset him. How frightened and angry and defensive he could become. Not necessarily with her, or any one in particular. Sometimes, despite the Jedi control he had learned, his emotions would simply escape him. And to have to face something like this...

Amidala sighed and rested her forehead against the window. She had been standing there for hours, watching the hangar bay for any sign that he had arrived. None appeared.

It had been three days since Obi-Wan had contacted her, hoping desperately that Anakin was there. It had been five days since Shmi died. No one had seen or heard from Anakin during that time.

Amidala felt her heart ache as she tried to imagine how Anakin must have felt...watching his mother die...not being able to save her...Amidala shuddered. He had waited so long to go back for her, only to have this happen the day he arrived. The day he arrived! What an unspeakable nightmare.

After it happened, Anakin simply disappeared. He hid himself, both physically and mentally, from Obi-Wan, and lost himself in the utter confusion of the scene in Mos Espa. Obi-Wan scoured every part the settlement and found nothing. Finally, he contacted Amidala, on the chance that Anakin might already be on Naboo, or might have at least spoken with her. He hadn't.

So, now there was nothing for her to do but stand by her window and wait.

Amidala had wanted to go with him to find his mother, but the unrest and violence that had compelled him to leave for Tatooine also forced her to remain on Naboo. Chaos seemed to be sweeping the Republic from the Core Worlds to the Outer Rim. She couldn't simply leave on what might have been a lengthy trip in the midst of all this confusion. Her people needed her here.

Still, she had to admit to herself that she would be very hard-pressed not to go to him now if he were to contact her. She absent-mindedly fingered the japor snippet around her neck. If she could just find him, make sure that he was fine, and bring him right back here, she wouldn't have to be gone for much longer than a day or two. Sabé could certainly handle things for that short a time.

But what if he isn't fine? What then?

Amidala shook her head and returned her attention to the hangar. He would show up. And he'd be fine. They could go from there.

Amidala curled herself up in the corner of the chair, pulling her blanket up to ward off a sudden chill. She yawned contentedly.

Then her eyes snapped open, and she sat straight up in the chair.

When did I fall asleep? she wondered.

After attending many hours of meetings and conferences, Amidala had rushed back to her room, anxious to check her holo-messsages. Of course, she had told Sabé to pass her a note during the meetings if one came in from Anakin or Obi-Wan, so she had no real reason to expect anything to be there. But she had hoped so anyway.

No messages. No off-world arrivals in the Palace hangar, or in any hangar, as she was now checking them all.

So, she had retaken her position by the window, this time seated in a chair, and continued to wait.

Amidala stretched a little. Clearly, several hours had passed. The sun was setting; her room was quickly darkening. I better check the messages again, she told herself.

As Amidala moved to get up from the chair, she glanced up at the window. And froze.

Anakin stared back at her through the reflection.

Before she even turned around to face him, she could tell how terribly wrong things were. He didn't look as though he had been physically harmed, thank the Maker. But the way he was

3. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    Yes! Yes! Another Ami-Ani fic! Let's par-ty!

Good, Ami-Padme'. Great job, I really liked it. Maybe you could extend it a little, like POST MORE?

--Mr. P

4. Alpha_Ferdante

Alpha_Ferdante Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 1999

I love your storytelling.

5. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Great story ami-padme! Glad to see you posted it here.

6. Angel of Iego

Angel of Iego Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 12, 2000
    Great to see you posted this wonderful story! Just dropped by to say hello and to inquire what your next project will be. Do you plan to do another EpII-III Ani/Ami fic like this one?

[This message has been edited by Angel of Iego (edited 04-22-2000).]

7. Crazy J

Crazy J Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 1999
    Your stories are always so great! I can't wait until you write a new one!

8. ami-padme

Sep 19, 1999
    Thanks everyone!

Angel, right now I'm still working on the What if the Empire fanfic with Darth Pipes, and he and I are working on another fic for later (not Ani/Ami).

Most of my solo fics seem to be Ani/Ami centered, and I have been kicking around a few other ideas along those lines. We'll see when I can get another story idea to work.

I'd still love any more feedback...

9. Hannibal the Cannibal

Hannibal the Cannibal Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2000
    Brave Ami Padme, you will let me know when Anakin stops screaming, won't you?

[This message has been edited by Hannibal the Cannibal (edited 04-23-2000).]

10. Marie D Padawannabe

Marie D Padawannabe Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2000
    Absolutely wonderful ami-padme...I adore
    this kind of story...sad and intense...

SIGH

Marie

11. Jedi Pikachu

Jedi Pikachu Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 27, 2000
    That was a great story ami-padme! Everything you write is amazing!

12. Hannibal the Cannibal

Hannibal the Cannibal Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2000
    Mace Windu once tried to talk sense into me...I ate his liver with fava beans and a nice Chianti SSSSSSSSSSSSSSLURP!

13. blaze1

blaze1 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2000
    I was wondering if anyone figured out how to do a good slow motion effect with video that does not look jerky? I am trying to make a very smooth. I have tried a number of ways and all have not worked or have not looked good.
    Any impute on this will be very helpful.
    Thank you

14. lokmer

lokmer Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2000
    In Axogon, here's what you do:
    Add a clip, select in the bottom right "Clip Alignment: Fit" Check the interpolate box

Scale the clip so that it is longer than the video contained in it.

Render to your heart's content. If you want to make hyperspeed, do the same thing but make the clip shorter than the original length.
    -Lokmer

15. DarelRex

DarelRex Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2000
    Jim Skipper and I have done a very smooth slow-motion effect that has the action going at 40% of normal speed. Each frame has a unique picture; no frame repeating or blending is involved. We did it with an ordinary Sony Digital8 camcorder.

You can see it in our fanfilm, Matrix Jedi! http://freeweb.pdq.net/smokin/rotoscope/poster.jpg http://freeweb.pdq.net/smokin/rotoscope/poster.jpg

[This message has been edited by DarelRex (edited 05-31-2000).]

16. blaze1

blaze1 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2000
    Thanks Iokmer but I have a mac and the axogon software only works for PCs.
    DarelRex can you be more specific on how you were able to do slow motion with the ditigal camera.
    Thanks for replying.

17. DarelRex

DarelRex Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2000
    Basically you have to de-interlace each video frame into two fields, and interpolate the missing lines. So now you have 60 fps. (And each one is a true, unique picture, because video cameras captured each field at a different time, 1/60th of a second apart.)

Play back 60 fps source material at 24 fps, and voila--40% of normal speed.

I don't know if there are any commercial packages that let you do this; we did it using custom software made with Metrowerks CodeWarrior. Here's a suggestion: De-interlace your video with Premiere (or whatever) using the even numbered fields, then do it again with the odd numbered fields. Export each as numbered stills, then interleave the stills by renumbering them. Probably a pain in the a** but worth a try.

18. Alpha_Ferdante

Alpha_Ferdante Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.