Saga Shadows of a Lost Padawan series - Sian Ny (OC), Obi-Wan, Anakin updated 6/15

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Title: Until Tomorrow
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: OC (Sian Ny), Obi-Wan, Anakin
    Summary: Qui-Gon has been struck down by a Sith?s blade and Obi-Wan has brought his new apprentice to the Temple for the first time. An old friend waits to greet him.
    Notes: This OC is featured in the Shadows of a Lost Padawan series.

Until Tomorrow

Even as Sian watched Obi-Wan disembark from the transport, he could not help himself from looking behind him, seeking the tall, familiar figure of Qui-Gon. He knew his friend would not be there, indeed, Qui-Gon was already ashes floating out over the seas of Naboo. Still, it was his habit to meet Qui-Gon and his apprentice when they came back from a mission, and he would not break that tradition, especially not now.

Instead, trailing behind Obi-Wan, there was a little boy in fresh new Jedi tunics, his braid falling to his shoulder. Every now and then, the boy reached up and touched it, as if to make sure it was still there. It was a common gesture in the new Padawans, and Sian remembered Obi-Wan doing the same thing. Qui-Gon had laughed about it and gently teased his new Padawan, he remembered.

The grief hit him anew, like an unexpected wave that crashes toward shore and buries its unsuspecting victim beneath a wall of choking water. Qui-Gon was dead. Sian felt a shivering begin deep inside of him, and knew that nothing would ever be the same again, especially not for Obi-Wan. One stroke of a Sith?s blade, and he believed the wild rumors raging through the Temple, and everything had changed. The galaxy had been altered in that instant.

Already he had heard the whispers, the rumors about the round-faced little boy at Obi-Wan?s side. Here was Obi-Wan, newly knighted and given charge of the one who just might be the fulfillment of a prophecy. It was a heavy responsibility for one so young. Sian knew Qui-Gon had bequeathed the boy?s training to his Padawan, though for what reason he could not guess. Sian had to trust that his old friend knew what he was doing.

Then Obi-Wan was standing before him, his shoulders slumped and his face pale and drawn. His grief was clearly marked in his elegant features, his defeated posture. The absence of the Padawan braid struck Sian hard. It was wrong. That braid that marked him as Jinn?s apprentice should still be there, hanging down his tunics, a sign of honor. An outward symbol of an inward devotion, and now it was gone, like the man who had given it to him.

Obi-Wan?s eyes lit up briefly at the sight of Sian and he began to move more quickly toward him. ?He?s gone,? the young man said quietly as he reached Sian. He bent down out of habit and embraced the older man. The boy stayed back a few paces, giving his new Master and the stranger some privacy. His wide eyes were taking in every detail of his new surroundings.

Sian moved the hover chair back a few centimeters so that he could look into Obi-Wan?s eyes. ?I?m so sorry, Obi-Wan,? Sian said softly. ?Qui-Gon Jinn was a good friend.?

In mute misery, Obi-Wan merely tightened his lips, as if holding in his feelings by an act of sheer will. ?It doesn?t seem possible,? he murmured. ?I can?t believe he?s gone.?

Shaking his head, Sian felt his throat close off and his hands clench in his lap. ?He?ll be sorely missed,? he replied. He looked around Obi-Wan to the boy. ?Hello young one, my name is Master Sian Ny.?

Anakin hesitated a moment and then moved forward, offering one small hand. Sian noticed it was nicked and marked as if the boy worked with his hands quite a bit. ?My name is Anakin Skywalker,? the boy said politely, with a quick glance up at his new Master for his approval, but Obi-Wan was too deeply mired in his own misery at the moment. He had seen this need, this hunger in other children. This little one was wounded somehow. He wondered if Obi-Wan knew.

Sian felt himself tremble just a bit as he brushed against Anakin?s Force signature. It was like touching mol
  2. leia_naberrie Jedi Master

star 4
    Sian Ny seems like an interesting character. I like his empathy towards both Anakin and Obi-Wan and the way he understands them without judging either - expect maybe Qui-Gon.

An outward symbol of an inward devotion

Reminded me of the Sacraments of the Catholic Church. Nice. Especially as the Jedi with their vows, Order, and Temple, have a lot of religious connotations.

a quick glance up at his new Master for his approval, but Obi-Wan was too deeply mired in his own misery at the moment

:_| Poor Anakin.
  3. VA_Parky Jedi Master

star 4
    Lovely, Vadey! :)

It was fascinating to see the early stages of Anakin and Obi-wan's relationship from another's POV. And how appropriate - even right from the beginning, Anakin craved Obi-wan's acceptance and love yet couldn't bring himself to outwardly ask for it / admit it.

Very touching!
  4. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Oh sweet! You're continuing it over here!

:_| Poor Sian :( I love how you have him gonna try and mend the damage done by Qui. Love the bit about that he'd have a few stern words with Qui if he was still alive! [face_laugh] Yep that's Sian all right! :D

Excellent continuation here! [face_dancing] Hope to see more? Purty peas??[face_praying]
  5. Gina Force Ghost

star 4
    Very intriguing OC! You expressed so much in this viggie - Anakin's need for approval and acceptance, and Obi-Wan's inability to give him those things due to his own grief and uncertainty. It was nice to see this dynamic between them from the point of view of another character.

Loved it, K! :D

6. Layren Force Ghost

star 5
    So happy to see Sian on the saga board too! [face_love] He's one of my favorite oc's :D Is there any hope for a longer fic with him in it?[face_praying]
  7. raisedbywolves Jedi Knight

star 2
    Oh, I was afraid this viggie would be about that! :_|

This was so sad. Especially when Sian is watching to see whether or not Qui might still, somehow, be following Obi-Wan out of the transport. And when he realizes that his friend may have had a serious lapse in judgement. Loved his very tactile assessment of Anakin's potential in the Force though - that was a lovely description.

He didn't even get to be at the funeral pyre! :_|
  8. KELIA Manager Emeritus

star 6
    ?There?ll be trouble if those two don?t learn to trust each other

Is there a chance Sian will help alter the future? [face_praying] [face_praying] [face_praying]

I really love that he is willing to step up and help out in any way he can

Nice job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=
  9. Lovely-in-Orange Jedi Knight

star 3
    Sian! [face_love] It's very touching to see his reactions to Qui-Gon's death and to Obi-Wan. And his impressions of Anakin. I loved the last line too- maybe it's not just his imagination.
  10. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    leia_naberrie Those first few days had to be rough on Anakin and Obi-Wan! :_|

VA_Parky It was fun standing outside the Obi/Ani dymanic and observing what others might have thought. And besides, I have a crush on Sian! [face_blush]

Kynstar Yep, anything that takes place after TPM will be here and others will go on the Before board. You'll be seeing Sian all over the place.;)

Gina Scary, we think alike. [face_worried] Or maybe we took the same English classes in college? [face_thinking]

Layren [face_shame_on_you] No tempting me with plot bunnies!

raisedbywolves I think he's more confused than anything by Qui-Gon's decision. Confused and hurt. He doesn't understand why Qui-Gon would make that choice.

KELIA Unfortunately, no. This will stick to Canon. :_|

Lovely-in-Orange Maybe not, Qui was always a sneaky fellow![face_laugh]

11. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    In His Own Way

Sian rang the chime impatiently, over and over again, until it was answered by a rumpled Obi-Wan. The young man rubbed his eyes, yawned widely, and then glared down at Sian. ?What do you want?? he snapped.

?Good morning to you, too,? Sian quipped. ?It?s tomorrow,? he said as if that explained everything.

The newly knighted Jedi moved out of the way after Sian gave him a not-so-gentle nudge on the shins with his hoverchair. ?You?re a menace with that thing,? Obi-Wan grumbled as he rubbed his shin.

?So Qui-Gon often told me,? he answered softly. Obi-Wan looked stricken. There it was, Qui-Gon?s death dropping in between them like a frigid waterfall, leaving them both gasping at the shock of it.

Obi-Wan swallowed hard and then turned to enter the kitchen. ?I?m having some caf,? he called out. ?Do you want some??

?Caf would be good,? Sian replied.

A few minutes later, Obi-Wan came back in carrying two steaming mugs. Sian inhaled deeply and then took a sip. Kenobi had always made a wonderful cup of caf, he mused. Even Qui-Gon, as picky as he had been about the beverage, had turned over the caf-making duties to his Padawan while Obi-Wan was still a teen.

The older man glanced at Obi-Wan sullenly nursing his own cup. The young man?s eyes were slightly swollen and his face was still pale. Sian wondered how much sleep the boy had gotten lately. ?Good caf,? he murmured. You?ll need to keep something less stimulating on hand for the boy though,? he noted. ?Or you?ll regret it, believe me.?

Obi-Wan?s pale cheeks pinkened and then he nodded slowly. ?Yes, I suppose I will,? he answered.

His green eyes narrowing, Sian poked Obi-Wan?s shoulder. ?You have ordered provisions suitable for a child, haven?t you?? His tone said that he expected that to have taken care of last night, perhaps before they arrived on Coruscant.

A short shake of his head was the young Knight?s answer.

?You?d better get on that, Kenobi,? Sian warned. ?I remember you as a boy, and if your Padawan eats even half as much as you did?? He let those dire words trail off as he studied the young man. ?Get on it, okay??

?That?s all right, I don?t eat much,? came a voice from the doorway.

The two men turned to see Anakin Skywalker standing still and quiet, watching them with curious and hopeful eyes. Sian grinned and motioned the boy forward. ?Of course you eat a lot, you?re a growing boy,? he said firmly.

Anakin?s glance flickered toward Obi-Wan before he moved into the room. When the boy approached, Obi-Wan cleared his throat. ?Did you sleep well?Padawan?? There had been a slight but perceptible hesitation in Obi-Wan?s voice. Sian had noticed and he was sure Anakin had as well. It would take time, Sian thought, for both of them.

The boy nodded. ?Yes, Master Obi-Wan,? he replied politely. He smiled shyly at the two men.

Sian met the boy?s intent blue gaze. ?What?s your favorite food, young one?? he asked.

Frowning thoughtfully, Anakin seemed to give the matter his full attention. Then he shrugged. ?I don?t really know, I never had much of a choice.?

Obi-Wan interjected softly. ?Anakin hasn?t had much opportunity to experience different types of food, Master Ny.? He smiled encouragingly at his new Padawan. ?But we shall endeavor to change that, won?t we??

Anakin nodded eagerly, licking his lips as if already tasting something wonderful and new. ?You?ll have to take him to Dexter?s,? Sian told Obi-Wan.

For a moment, sorrow welled up in Obi-Wan?s eyes, but then he nodded and tried to smile. ?Yes, that would be a good place to start.? He threw Sian a wry glance. ?For Anakin to learn what not[ to eat.?

The boy giggled and for the first time, he appeared to be just a boy, without the burdens of a galaxy on his shoulders. Obi-Wan smiled once more at the boy, his natural kindness coming to the fore. ?Why don?t you go get cleaned up and I?ll show you around the Temple.?

Anakin threw a grin to Sian and then rushed off toward the ?fresher. Sian stared after him with a croo
  12. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Awww! [face_love] those poor guys :( all 3 of them have a lot to get used to. Obi and Anakin the most. Glad to see Sian will be there for Obi if needed for guidance! :D Sian even sees wisdom and further potential in Obi. :D

Way to go Mama Vader with yet another excellent postie! [face_dancing]
  13. Gina Force Ghost

star 4
    My heart really went out to Obi-Wan in this post. He's going through so many emotions right now - grief, fear, fatigue, and he's expected to take on so much responsibility. And Anakin can sense Obi-Wan's fears and reluctance. I think they both need a hug. [:D] As always, your OC is amazing! :D

14. Layren Force Ghost

star 5
    Awwwwww that was so heartbreaking -- poor Obi and Sian... and Anakin insisting he didn't eat much -- that was sad.

Well done!
  15. Lovely-in-Orange Jedi Knight

star 3
    Aww, that was wonderful to see Sian change his mind about Obi-Wan being ready. And the process of Obi-Wan grieving and trying to get used to caring for Anakin at the same time.... good thing he has Sian to give him advice! ?And now, after a night?s sleep?? he tilted his head toward the ?fresher where the young boy could be heard singing ? loudly and somewhat off key. ?Now I think you were destined to be at young Skywalker?s side.? That is so sweet and yet so funny.
  16. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Kynstar Thank you! I promise to do more with these characters when I get back! :p

Gina I [face_love] OCs! And thank you! [:D]

Layren He doesn't want to be any trouble...YET! [face_devil]

Lovely-in-Orange Thank you! I've fallen a little bit in love with Sian. [face_shhh] Don't tell my husband! ;)

17. Star-Foozle Jedi Knight

star 2
    I've just been through and read all your Sian stories in one fell swoop. I must say, I've fallen head-over-heels in love with this fellow! Sian's one of the most likeable OCs I've ever run into. His sense of humor is great, and he really does help lighten the mood in some of these stories. Qui, Obi and Ani are lucky to have him around.[face_love]
    This is a great series, and they tie together really well. Qui-gon's going to be sorely missed by everyone, but I have a feeling these friends will help each other through it. Will there be any more stories featuring Sian? I hope so...
    Anyways, I just wanted to drop by and say good job. Cheers!
    =D=
  18. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Star-Foozle Yes, I love him too much to stop writing him! Thanks!

Footing the Bill

Three years has passed since his good friend Qui-Gon had died on Naboo, leaving behind a stunned Padawan who was immediately transformed into a Knight and given his own Padawan. Sian had grown close to both of them, gently easing the way when they were at odds with each other, helping both of them adjust to new lives.

It was not always easy, he acknowledged, but it was rewarding. Sian felt as if he had a purpose for the first time in many years. Obi-Wan was a good Master, hiding his own dry sense of humor behind a serious façade that sometimes caused the young boy he mentored to become restless and unsure. And young Anakin wore his emotions so openly that Obi-Wan often felt overwhelmed. Sian became a bridge between them when the waters grew troubled. Because Master and Padawan were so close in age, it seemed that, in many ways, they were growing up at the same time. Sian found it an interesting process to watch.

In the past year, Anakin had grown taller than his age-mates and his childish roundness had given way to a hungry, lean look. That impression was intensified because it always seemed that if Anakin was not sleeping or training, he was eating. Obi-Wan had taken to hiding food, because anything left out soon fell victim to the voracious appetite of the teenaged boy. Sian had found a hungry Obi-Wan begging on his doorstep more than once. Not only was food often scarce in the Kenobi/Skywalker quarters, Obi-Wan was not much of a cook.

So Sian was not surprised when he opened the door and there was Obi-Wan, his nose twitching as he sniffed to see if there was anything cooking. Sian moved aside for his friend and asked, ?So where?s Anakin??

?Oh, he?s off with Tru,? Obi-Wan said dismissively, walking into the kitchen. He stepped in and looked at the cooking unit pointedly. ?You usually eat at this time,? he muttered. ?Where?s the food?? Obi-Wan?s voice was almost accusatory, but Sian merely smiled at him and shrugged.

?I wasn?t feeling all that hungry this evening, if you must know,? the older man replied.

With a sigh, Obi-Wan sank into the chair and scowled. ?Well now, this is a fine development!?

?We could go to Dexter?s and catch a meal,? Sian suggested. ?My treat.?

?Your treat?? Obi-Wan asked in surprise, his eyes narrowing as he studied his friend. The two men had a friendly competition to see who could coerce the other into buying their meals. So far, Sian was ahead, not having paid for almost eight months. This was a rare concession and Obi-Wan was suspicious.

Sian shook his head. ?Nice to know I?m trusted,? he snorted. ?Just for that-?

?No, no,? Obi-Wan said, getting to his feet. ?If you?re paying, I?m eating. You don?t need to convince me!?

Sian grabbed his cloak and made sure he had some credits in the pouch at his belt. Obi-Wan already had his own immaculate cloak flung over his shoulders ? and not a hair out of place. Sometimes Sian wondered how he did it, looking so cool and calm when the whole Temple knew that Skywalker ran him ragged. It seemed that the more chaos Anakin caused, the more serene Obi-Wan looked. If he had not known the younger man better, Sian might have suspected that Obi-Wan was drinking heavily. He laughed at the thought, knowing that Obi-Wan was not always as composed as he looked. The younger man just knew how to project a certain image. Sian considered it a survival technique in dealing with young Skywalker.

?Come on,? Sian said. ?You look ready to eat the wrong end of a rancor.?

?Is there a right end?? Obi-Wan quipped as they left the apartment.

?There is if you?re Anakin,? Sian responded without pause.

As they entered the lift, Sian took a closer look at Obi-Wan. ?You look tired,? he observed.

?Nearly starving to death will do that to you,? Obi-Wan replied serenely.

Sian smiled but his green eyes grew worried. There were lines etched in Obi-Wan?s face and he seemed pale. ?Are you sleeping ok/>
  19. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    LOL! [face_laugh] Please do finish the steak first! =P~ Love steak... and rare too! [face_love]

Extremely enjoyed this chapter! [face_laugh] Keeping poor Obi ragged, yep that's Anakin all right! And I totally agree! Anakin + Tru = trouble (if not big trouble [face_laugh])

=D= Well done! Poor Obi! He needs a bigger allowance in order to keep more food about! [face_laugh]
  20. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Kynstar I like writing these two together! :p
  21. Gina Force Ghost

star 4
    [face_laugh] Yes, no need to let perfectly good steaks go to waste. :p

Obi-Wan had taken to hiding food, because anything left out soon fell victim to the voracious appetite of the teenaged boy. Sian had found a hungry Obi-Wan begging on his doorstep more than once. Not only was food often scarce in the Kenobi/Skywalker quarters, Obi-Wan was not much of a cook.

LOL! Loved that.

Poor Obi-Wan. It can't be easy, having those dreams and feeling helpless. :(

22. jasonnels Jedi Knight

=D= I like it very much! Especially how Obi-Wan won't [face_talk_hand] go find Anakin till he finished his stake.[face_cow] Qui-gon was right when he said that Obi was a much wiser man than he:-B ! I'd like a PM, please, and this is definitely worth an up!=D= =D= =D= [face_dancing]
  23. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I'm going to be writing more vignettes for this series. I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I enjoy writing them. Sian is a character I've come to love. :D

Gina Glad you liked it! [:D]

jasonnels No need to waste a good hunk of steak. :p
  24. Alexis_Wingstar Force Ghost

star 4
    I can't wait to read more! SQUEE Sian Ny [face_love] *Squelches the fangirl inside her* :p

Ok, seriously, could you please PM me when you update? [face_praying]
  25. Valairy Scot Chosen One

star 5
    Okay, I'm hooked - PM list please oh Master of the engrossing story.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.