Lit Shadows of the Empire multimedia project

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Vidar, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Darth Vidar Jedi Padawan

Such a great novel! I came across this title, by the same author. It's called "Omnibus". Anybody here read it, is a sequel to SOTE?
  2. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    That is the comic book version of Shadows of the Empire (which has a few scenes the novel does not), plus a short sequel, called, I think, Shadows of the Empire: Evolution, focusing on the Human Replica Droid Guri.

I've read it and think it's good.

It also has the Mara Jade comic book story By the Emperor's Hand.
    Last edited by Iron_lord, Jul 9, 2013
  3. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Need to read the book again soon. The comic was great.
  4. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    You must not be familiar with comics if you thought Omnibus was the title. :p But yeah, what IL said. The comic version focuses a lot on Boba Fett's role in the story, just like the game focuses on Dash.

Really, SOTE was a great project and its characters and other miscellanea have made such a large impact on the EU. It's telling that SOTE's reach is far when Xizor got a name drop in Darksaber, which was released about half a year before SOTE even came out.
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  5. Darth Vidar Jedi Padawan

No, not into the comics :)
  6. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Well, in that case, "omnibus" is a term used for a collection of an entire comic series into a set of volumes -- like a trade paperback writ large.
  7. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6

I didn't know that! Huh.

Also @Darth Vidar, there was a video game that came out at the same time as the novel as well, which explained the story more from the point of view of Dash (plus you could explore Xizor's palace, which is just plain awesome): http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Shadows_of_the_Empire_(video_game)

And there was a really weird card game. I mean realllllllly weird. Some of the pictures have been uploaded on Wookieepedia: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Images_from_Shadows_of_the_Empire_trading_cards

Plus, there's the newer novel, Shadow Games, which serves as a prequel of sorts to SOTE. It's sort of a mystery novel about Dash. It's a fun read. Michael Reeves, one of the authors, is a friend and often co-author with SOTE's Steve Perry.
  8. COMPNOR Force Ghost

star 2
    Don't forget the Shadows of the Empire soundtrack, the most interesting thing included with that was Dha Werda Verda.
    Revanfan1 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  9. AlyxDinas Force Ghost

star 4
    It's the only omnibus I actually own. The SOTE comics are pretty good, if a bit short on some details. We get to see Jix and the Boba Fett parts of the comic are pretty good as well. It's necessarily incomplete though because it's a cross media project. SOTE: Evolution is odd, to be sure, but even that can be good fun. Shadow Stalker's more interesting to me though.

Shadows of the Empire is my favorite media endeavor in the EU. Between it and TTT, I think they get the "feel" of the OT films down pretty well.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Agreed, particularly about the SotE media project as a whole. It was great, and came at the perfect time -- right alongside the SEs and all that. The comics were probably my favorite part of the blitz back in the day because I think they were the first real good look at Coruscant until the ROTJ SE, although the novel's my favorite now since Perry just had the banter and feel of the characters right (and still has the definitive Vader portrayal in a novel!). And considering that the game, soundtrack, and even the toys were really great too... that says something.

I remember always playing the Skyhook battle level at the little demo set-ups they had at Target :p
    Last edited by GrandAdmiralJello, Jul 9, 2013
    rumsmuggler likes this.
  11. AlyxDinas Force Ghost

star 4
    I've never been a comic person, really. Only in recent years have I shiftily sneaked into comic stores to buy Knight Errant, Legacy, and Dawn of the Jedi. But I remember, as a kid, buying comics to read on the beach every summer. SOTE and Dark Empire were the big ones. I remember being amazed that Boba Fett was alive and thinking that Luke's swoop chase through Beggar's Canyon was one of the coolest things.

It's partly nostalgia coloring my take on SOTE, definitely but it still holds up after all these years.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Oh, and I almost forgot the excellent SotE sourcebook that WEG put out. I didn't read that one until a few years ago, but it's fantastic in expanding the details of little references like the Manarai restaurant and various alien species casually mentioned in the novel. Most importantly, it has a rather significant section on Imperial high society on Coruscant [face_love]
  13. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    Huh. I didn't know DWV was originally created for SOTE.
  14. Mia Mesharad Force Ghost

star 4
    It was, but the SotE version of Dha Werda Verda is a much different version than the "Rage of the Shadow Warriors"/Dha Werda Verda track from Republic Commando.
    Last edited by Mia Mesharad, Jul 9, 2013
  15. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    Really? Huh. I'll have to Youtube it or something.

Edit: Wow, that is different. The current Dha Werda seems more primitive, like what you'd hear in a one-on-one or one-on-multiple-opponents fight. The older one seems like what you'd hear in a battle between 1000 vs. 1000, or something like that; basically a huge, epic war. That's kind of cool!
    Last edited by Revanfan1, Jul 9, 2013
  16. Darth Vidar Jedi Padawan

Thanks for all answers, guys :)
  17. Mia Mesharad Force Ghost

star 4
    The Dha Werda Verda from Republic Commando was heavily influenced by the songs and war chants of native Pacific islanders, so perhaps "tribal" would be a better word than "primitive." Not that I'm implying any malicious intent on your part.
    Contessa, Giovs and Revanfan1 like this.
  18. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    No, no, no. Nothing malicious intended at all. Tribal was actually what I meant to say but I couldn't remember the word, so I used primitive instead. Actually, I'm a huge Mandalorian fan, so I'd never insult them. But yes, I could definitely see the influence of Pacific islanders.
    Mia Mesharad likes this.
  19. Dr. Steve Brule Force Ghost

star 4
    I recently played the N64 version of Shadows of the Empire for the first time in over decade at a friend's. It was great fun, as good as I remembered it being. The level design and soundtrack in particular I thought were pretty good for the time.

Kind of funny how it made the Coruscant sewers look like some quasi-medieval dungeon from Quake, though.
  20. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    I wonder if they built over TotJ Coruscant?
    darklordoftech and RC-1991 like this.
  21. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5

There are also a SotE Planet Guide and of course the epic Secrets of the Sisar Run as parts of the SotE project :)
  22. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Include Mark Cottar Vaz's Secrets of SW Shadows of the Empire book. It's a look at the whole project (book, comic, game, figures, etc). Great book! Amazon UK has a 'Look Inside' here.
    Last edited by LAJ_FETT, Jul 10, 2013
  23. FatSmel Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    LMAO
    darklordoftech likes this.
  24. Ordo Skirata Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Which piece of SoTE sountrack is Dha Werda Verda in? I looked through and coundn't find it.
    Last edited by Ordo Skirata, Jul 12, 2013
  25. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    it's not in the SOTE soundtrack. It's from Republic Commando
    Last edited by rumsmuggler, Jul 12, 2013