main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Shadows of the Empire-possible animated movie?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by darkcide, Mar 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkcide

darkcide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    I don't know if this has ever been discussed before but I think it could be a good idea,especially if some of the OT actors loaned their voices.

2. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Ooh I hope so. I really, REALLY hope so. That'd be SWEET. :D Although there's not even a rumour of it officially of course.

Steve Perry (SotE Novel author) wrote a forword for the graphic novel, and towards the end, he mentioned that filming SotE would be impossible as the actors have all aged. He then adds: "Unless I can convince Lucasfilm to do it in animation?" So I've no doubt it's at least been mentioned to George.

I think it's the perfect project for a feature-length SW animation. We know that LFL wants to move in that direction, and this would be an almost guaranteed success - it's EU, but an already established story, so there'd be no real grief with introducing new characters. We'd know what to expect, just not how to expect it. A little like the prequels in that respect.

Here's hoping... :D

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. darkcide

darkcide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    I wonder who would make a good voice for Xizor. Andy Serkis,Gollum of LOTR?

whostheBossk likes this.
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Michael Ironside...he looks like Xizor, so, in my mind, he sounds like Xizor ::)

5. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    The only problem is that it was so sloppily written.

ESB: Lando & Chewie take off, leaving Luke, Leia, 3PO, and R2 on the medical frigate.

SotE: Leia and Chewie are paired up, and half of the unexplained details for events between ESB and RotJ are still unexplained.

I'm sure the idea of a multi-track story (book, video game, toys, comix, etc) all being released at the same time is great on paper, but it doesn't actually work as a unified whole.

6. General_Rieekan

General_Rieekan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    i have to agree with magellan on this one...but i have to admit, it is something i would still love to see!!! it all depends on the story and, as you said, maybe getting some original actors for voiceovers. problem is, a lot of these actors are gonna have huge demands for money, even if only for a voiceover...harrison ford's paycheck alone would probably be equal to twice the budget of the entire project...

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> The only problem is that it was so sloppily written.
    ESB: Lando & Chewie take off, leaving Luke, Leia, 3PO, and R2 on the medical frigate.
    SotE: Leia and Chewie are paired up<<

The comic bridges those two points.

>>and half of the unexplained details for events between ESB and RotJ are still unexplained.<<

Examples?

8. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I'd support this. Would be great I think.

9. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    woah! sweet idea!

10. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    As long as it isn't the same people who did the art for the clone wars.

11. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
  12. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Because I don't like this art style as much as it could have been

13. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I thought it was great. What would you prefer then? CGI? The style they use for shows like Batman of the Future and X-Men: Evolution?

14. Blackout

Oct 7, 2000
    Have you seen the trailer for Republic Commando? The CGI in that's Grrr! Obviously it would be a HUGE undertaking to animate a movie / series like that, but if they could pull off the 'actors' faces as well as the Clones and Geonosians we'd be laughing!

Like Clone Wars, the key is making it stylised. If you try to go for realism, ultimately it won't work.

15. MALICE_MIZER

MALICE_MIZER Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 10, 2003
    Because I don't like this art style as much as it could have been

That's right! Show them your distaste for the CW art style by using some as your icon! That'll teach 'em!

16. Blackout

Oct 7, 2000
    ^ ^ ^ :p point.

-------------------- {|| ? || ? || ? ||} ---------------------

17. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Mainframe.CA would do a butt-kicking job with a SW project.

None of the comics I saw explained the Leia&chewie together bit. Where was that?

18. Captmiloman

Captmiloman Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 17, 2004
    You have to read the comic TPB(series) and novel to get the full story. To adapt the story to film properly, one would have to use the material from both sources. It wouldn't be nessessary to bring Harrison into this since Han was still frozen in carbonite at the time. Remember this was set between Empire and Jedi. I've read both the comic and the novel. It was actually a great story. C'mon, George. Let's see it happen.

19. Chris Knight

Chris Knight TFN Humor Staff star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    All of you guys want to see a Shadows Of The Empire animated movie (and hopefully Japanime style) only because you really really REALLY wanna see Xizor make Leia take off all her clothes.

Admit it, it's true :p

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> None of the comics I saw explained the Leia&chewie together bit. Where was that?<<

The transition is smoother- the comic has Leia with Luk after ESB, then by the beginning of the novel, she has traveled to Tatooine to meet up with Chewie and Lando at a cantina. Chewie meets her first (possibly before she arrives at the cantina) and Lando meets her tehre.

21. Blackout

Oct 7, 2000
    Admit it, it's true

I've got no problem admitting this :p
    I think Clone-Commando-Style CGI would be nicer though ;)

22. orangefuzz

orangefuzz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2003
    I think it would be stupid for LFL to at least not think of making another animated series. If I'm not mistaken the Clone Wars cartoon has be a success and it would be both a smart buisness move and a smart move as far as the fans are concerned to make another animated series. But I'm no buisness expert so hey.

23. Obi-Ted_Kenobi

Obi-Ted_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2003
    I would rather see an amimated film, CGI (in the very realistic style of The Matrix: Final Flight of the Osiris) that takes place in between ANH and TESB.

Just think, we could see the Rebels driven from Yavin 4, see their encounter on Ord Mantell with "the bounty hunter" they ran into there, and see them find and establish their base on Hoth. We could also see more of Vader searching for Luke and not finding him yet, and the Emperor's decision to start construction of a new Death Star.

You might have to fudge with EU a bit, but that will not upset everyone.

Adam Bertocci loves you!

24. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Shadows was such a great novel, I would love nothing more than to see it turned into an elegant animated film, especially if it were to feature the voices of the original actors.

25. Lukes_Lightsaber

Lukes_Lightsaber Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I think it would bomb horribly. People would go expecting another ANH, and they would get this SOTE crap.

Seriously SOTE was not a good idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.