main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Shadows of the Future: TPM, Time-travel AU- Obi/Ani/Qui bonding- complete, 6/6!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by stormqueen874, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenobiwanobi

kenobiwanobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2005
    Wow Master!...What an amazing post!!!~I really enjoyed reading Obi and Ani's conversation...very well done...Can't wait for the next post.~

2. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Wonderful post :)

3. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    "Obi-Wan had swallowed at that, the part of him that would always be Qui-Gon?s apprentice quailing." That's a great line. There are always situations that make us feel like children all over again.

And the explanation for Obi's snoring was too funny. That backfired on him, didn't it? [face_laugh]

Lovely exchange between Obi and Anakin. I especially liked the discussion about how sometimes acting to prevent a vision can sometimes cause it. That's so at the crux of ROTS.

4. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    The snoring thing... [face_laugh]

And when he hadn?t?
    Then something was wrong with the teachings.
    That sudden thought shook him to his core, chills skittering down his spine and dancing along his skin.
    He felt sick, so very sick.

This section felt like a punch in the gut and all I could think was Poor Obi! :( Beautifully written! :)

And the whole conversation between Obi-Wan and Anakin... *happy sigh* The bond that should have been. Absolutely, positively moving. Enough said. :D =D=

5. ctt

ctt Jedi Knight

Mar 11, 2006
    Wonderful story! It's a very good take about the many Obi-Wan time travel/knowledge of the future stories. I love how you portrayed his reactions, the hysterics and uncertainties, just as the confusion of Qui-gon and the rest. It's very realistic and believable.

6. jaina_clan_solo

jaina_clan_solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    I've been lurking on this story since you started posting it, and I just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying it!

I love the depth of emotion you've given it, and the potential for change there is.

I can't wait to see where you're going with this. Could I be added to the PM list please?

jcs

7. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 1, 2005
    Please don't take this as coming from a naive newbie who's only read a handful of fics, because I've flitted in and out of lurkdom on these boards for about two years--

This is seriously looking like it will be the best Qui/Obi/Ani AU I've ever read.

I sincerely apologize for not leaving a constructive review, but you've rendered me fairly incoherent. *grins* Please add me to the PM list, and I really can't wait for more.

8. AP4EVER

AP4EVER Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    After about a month of hard work and trying out all the mental shielding he?d learned, he put his plan to the final test. When his beloved Master started up with the miserable snoring, Obi-Wan started snoring himself, in nearly an exact replica of the horrible sound.

[face_laugh] Sweet revenge it is...even though Obi-Wan can't admit it.

But then again, "A rose by any other name, would smell just as sweet."

Had the Force sent him back so that he could fix his mistakes or repeat them in a completely different fashion? Was he doomed to watch the destruction of the Jedi a second time around, to see his dearest friends torn to shreds by a lightsaber, to stand by helplessly as things spiraled into chaos all over again?

...Please let the reason be to fix up his mistakes![face_praying] [face_praying]

No matter how hard he tried, he just couldn?t think of what might?ve motivated Anakin.

If one wanted to be specific, there are several things that motivated him. But, if one wants to generalize...it's two things that motivated him...and both of their names start with 'P'.

"...don?t go spreading that around the Temple. If Master Yoda found out, my shins would be horribly bruised.?

[face_laugh] No argument here!

Y: Mock me, will you?!"

*whack*

[face_laugh]

But it seems Obi-Wan is starting to make up for past mistakes by interacting with Anakin more.

I made too many assumptions, Obi-Wan thought with chagrin. Perhaps that was why Anakin never really spoke to me; I never showed him I would listen and care about what I was hearing.

That certainly was a big part of it. If he thought you didn't care about even the most menial of things, why would he think you would care about anything serious he had to say?

Communication certainly has, and will continue, to play a big role.

Things had gone surprisingly well so far; Anakin had accepted him in a way that Obi-Wan certainly couldn?t remember ever happening. He?d held the boy after his nightmares, certainly, but never like this. Anakin had never been so relaxed in his presence, and it sent a wild, powerful hope coursing through his veins.

He just might succeed after all.

I sure do hope so! It would...simply put, just plain suck if the Force grabed his soul, turned back the hands of time, only tohave history repeat itself.

Hopefully, that will not be the case.

=D= Things are moving in the right direction so far with Ani and Obi. Now I can't wait to see how things go with Qui-Gon. Can't wait to read more, stormqueen.:D

9. KTfanfic

KTfanfic Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 16, 2005
    ?Do you want me to stay until you fall asleep?? he offered, something he?d never done with the Anakin he remembered, and watched several emotions flicker across the boy?s face before vanishing behind a frown.

?Couldn?t I just stay with you tonight?? he countered and Obi-Wan blinked before watching Anakin wince. ?Sorry. I know that was stupid, but?? The boy?s frown darkened and his shoulders drooped a little more. ?I?m sorry.?

Obi-Wan heaved a mental sigh, even though part of him was grinning. His Anakin had never asked that, even when Obi-Wan had known he?d wanted to very desperately.

?No, it?s not stupid,? he said, and Anakin began staring up at him. ?And I just might have a solution for this problem.?

Wow! =D= This story is really good! I really like the connection between Obi-wan and Anakin. I am curious to see if Obi-wan will tell anyone that he is from the future. I can?t wait to see the next chapter!

Please PM me when you update, thanks!

~KT

10. JediMormon

JediMormon Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2006
    I like this update a lot! Oh and that snoring trick backfired on Obi quite beautifully didn't it? The Anakin/Obi-Wan interaction was very good! I look forward to seeing more of it. Obi-Wan's description of Yoda was funny, it had me cracking up a bit. Now what are they going to the galley to get? I'd normally assume food, but you never know...

Looking forward to your next update!

~ The Mormon Jedi

11. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Sorry I missed a review. :( Of course, you know that I?m still here, reading away and enjoying! [:D]

I really enjoyed both chapters but I think this most recent one was excellent! I liked the fact that Obi-Wan really started to question his interactions with Anakin as a child, whether or not his approach was completely inappropriate given Anakin?s background prior to coming to the Order. We, of course, having the gift of hindsight and foreknowledge of Anakin?s ultimate fate, have the luxury to pass judgment on how the Order failed Anakin and contributed to his ultimate fall. There are those who would like to absolve Anakin of all responsibility and there are those who would like to absolve the Jedi completely. I am of the mindset that reality is somewhere in the middle. I hope that Obi-Wan comes to realize the truth of this himself and doesn?t allow his self-recriminations to cloud his judgment as he approaches Anakin with this newfound attempt to connect to him emotionally. The teachings of the Order did not fail Anakin. What failed Anakin was how he was taught them. Anakin needs to understand why attachments can be dangerous. If Obi-Wan continues down that path he is traveling without teaching Anakin the why, then Anakin will simply attach to Obi-Wan and Padmé and end up falling nonetheless.

I find this entire exploration fascinating and can?t wait to see where you take it. :D

12. stormqueen874

stormqueen874 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2005
    Well, everybody, everybody, it's Tuesday! And that means replies!

G__Anakin: Thanks so much! I'm glad you're enjoying it!

CherryLightsaber: Cherry! *gloms* How are you?

What does this remind me of?

Hm, I wish I knew.

I really enjoyed this description of Yoda, especially that last part.

*cracks up* I'm glad! The little Yoda bits were fun to write, actually. I kept wondering, how would you describe Yoda? [face_thinking]

I was hoping you'd recognize it. It's my second-favorite show on that channel.
    Fabulous work, stormqueen. Just the break I needed from studying for exams

I do enjoy that channel- it's one of the few that I watch. :) And I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter!

bibphile: Welcome back!

Oops. In my last post I meant to say that Obi-Wan didn't say Amidala was pregnant. I was trying to use it as an example of him getting things a little clearer in his head. Sorry.

*cracks up* Oh, it's okay. I do that kind of thing all the time, only to realize that what I've written has come out completely wrong, so no worries. :)

So, Obi-Wan snored in revenge. That's a ridiculous thing to do. I wonder what Qui-Gon would think to know he sounds like that?

*giggles* He'd probably play some kind of practical joke on his padawan in response, and then call it a lesson in being aware of your surroundings. ;) And I do believe you've given me a plot bunny...

That was one of the things that struck me in RotS. Obi-Wan never did find out that Anakin and Padme were married or why Anakin turned. I wonder if he'd have been so sure there was no good in Vader in ESB if he'd known. I really have no idea.

That was something a beta-reader pointed out to me. I'd just assumed that Obi-Wan had put two and two together after meeting with Padme, and then when she, Anakin's wife, failed to sway Anakin from the path of darkness, he just kind of assumed that Anakin was lost. But that was my own rather reluctant assumption- I have issues with RotS that I won't go into for fear of taking up WAY more room than I have to. :)

Nice touch.

Thanks! :D I know personally from cutting my hair (that was almost past my waist) to a shoulder length was shocking enough, so I can understand the feeling expressed there.

Ruined? It's a habit that needs to be broken but snot washes off. It shouldn't ruin tunics. Grease would, but Anakin obviously doesn't wipe his hands on his clothes or else his current clothes would be stained. Plus I don't recall grease on his clothes even while he was working on the pod.

*looks worriedly around for a moment* Uh, figure of speech? :p I totally didn't even think when I wrote that line, so hm. Well, maybe Anakin was lazy and left them lying around and they didn't get cleaned until it was too late? [face_plain]

Very good line. I think Anakin wants to talk. He's afraid of appearing childish or weak (Mos Espa probably ate the weak for breakfast) but he's really not shy about revealing things. In AotC he tells Obi-Wan directly that he sees him as a father (and it seemed like he'd said it many times before). He was very open about his feelings towards Padme. He told Padme how he felt about Obi-Wan. He wants to share important things with the people who are important to him. Honestly he shared a bit with Qui-Gon and Padme in TPM and he barely knew them (though he instantly knew Padme was important to him).

I agree completely. This whole story is based around my idea that Anakin really is just looking for a place to belong, because after being taken from his mother I felt he was just sort of tossed around rather callously. And I think I'll stop there before I go into too much detail!

Obi-Wan, correct that. Considering all sides in good and a vision shouldn't rule actions. You had lots of good points, but if you're not careful Anakin going to hear "ignore the warnings the Force is giving you with dreams and visions." Or maybe I'm just paranoid.

That is a good point, but I think we've got to give Obi-Wan a

13. stormqueen874

stormqueen874 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2005
    Hey everyone! Welcome to the Wednesday update! I know it's a little earlier than usual, but I have a lot to get done this afternoon, and it's a friend's birthday today too, so I wanted to get this out of the way. :)

A couple quick things before we get underway: first of all I made a trailer for this story, if you want to see. You can find it either by clicking here or by going to the first post. :D

Second of all, the new and updated PM list!
    -Meredith_Kenobi
    -G__Anakin
    -Neinna_Narmolanya
    -kenobiwanobi
    -Kynstar
    -KELIA
    -Darth_Abtranor
    -Layren
    -Kestrel_Kenobi
    -CherryLightsaber
    -EGKenobi
    -Sounderwan
    -JediMormon
    -Fifilla
    -__Sithspawn__
    -bek
    -Lea-El
    -Ara-gon
    -rabideuphonium
    -Ocelotl_Nesto
    -AP4EVER
    -Gkilkenny
    -Jacen200015
    -jaina_clan_solo
    -Dragonlady
    -KTfanfic

Please let me know if you want to be added or removed, all right? Now off with you! Enjoy the chapter!

Qui-Gon awoke from what had been the best sleep he?d had in weeks, part of him astounded that he?d accomplished it. He never slept well when away from the Temple and part of him had been worried that the situation with Obi-Wan would keep him awake. However, a session of meditation had calmed his fears, and after wishing Obi-Wan a mental ?good night?, he?d fallen into a deep, peaceful sleep.

After rolling over and pulling back the privacy curtain, he rubbed away any lingering grogginess from his eyes and yawned around the horrible morning taste in his mouth. Shucking his blankets, he sat up. He then ran his fingers through his hair before glancing across the room to see if Obi-Wan had awoken yet.

He blinked. Obi-Wan wasn?t there, and nor were the cushion or any of the blankets from the sleep couch.

Stars and galaxies, what happened?

Qui-Gon stood, frowning at the spectacle. What could have made his padawan want to move his bed?

His frown deepened when another thought occurred to him. Surely the act must have made quite a bit of noise, so why hadn?t he awoken? Unless Obi-Wan had laid down some of that soundproof shielding he?d been taught? but why would the padawan desire such secrecy? Wouldn?t he have realized that Qui-Gon would?ve had no objections?

Who knows; perhaps Obi-Wan didn?t do it at all. Perhaps something happened and I simply slept too deeply to notice.

Qui-Gon?s swallowed; the situation felt horribly odd. Perhaps his food had been drugged? but to what ends? No one in their party would actually go to lengths to kidnap Obi-Wan, and they certainly wouldn?t have taken the entire sleep couch if they had.

-Obi-Wan?- he called into their bond and his brows furrowed in confusion. The link was utterly silent; he couldn?t even get the sense of Obi-Wan?s presence that normally flowed between them.

Follow the bond, then, Qui-Gon thought. Find Obi-Wan that way.

He knelt in a meditative pose, his feet tucked beneath him and his hands resting on his thighs. He cast his mind into the link, following the weakened threads to wherever they might lead. He didn?t get very far when the bond abruptly stopped, leaving him staring at the mental equivalent of a blank spot.

His gut plummeted as the implications poured through his mind.

He?s dead, something whispered, but he pushed the thought aside roughly. He couldn?t afford to be irrational. He would?ve felt Obi-Wan?s death?

Wouldn?t he?

Drawing a deep breath to force his heart out of his throat, Qui-Gon began studying the blank spot. Upon closer examination, he found that the ends of the bond hadn?t been severed; they merely disappeared off into nothing. He continued examining, reaching out and brushing against the spot, and he jerked mentally when it skillfully diverted him. If he hadn?t known better, he would?ve sworn that there was nothing there, but the nature of the redirection was what gave him his clues.

Without his knowledge, someone had erected a Kinas-shield around Obi-Wan.

The skill that had gone behind it was superb;

14. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Woohoo, first post! [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] Stellar update! Totally wasn't expecting that emotional storm there, especially how Obi-Wan reacted to Qui-Gon then. Just when we think things are sorting themselves out you put us through the wringer and make us wonder just when Obi-Wan will be himself. Really loved the tension between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan there, wonderfully written and those shields must've been impressive and rather surprised that Qui-Gon did decide to give his padawan his privacy, but Qui-Gon believes in second chances, so it makes sense. Can't blame Obi-Wan for wanting to keep Qui-Gon out of his mind for now, wonder how Qui-Gon will react once he learns that Anakin in his universe murdered over half the Jedi. Really can't wait for that storm :D Excellent work! I'm looking forward to next Wednesday eagerly :D

15. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awwww....poor Obi!

He needs to confide everything to Qui-Gon, no matter how hard it'll be for Qui to belive him. This is too much of a burden for him to carry alone.

I love that Qui-Gon is willing to give Obi-Wan as much time as he needs - but Obi needs to tell him soon! [face_praying]

He made the bed with a wave of his hand

I wish I could do that! :p

Amazing update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

16. Lea-El

Lea-El Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 13, 2005
    Wow! Qui-Gon got a shock waking up Obi-Wan. [face_beatup]

I love your style of writing. You aren't afraid to explore emotions or to let a scene play out to it's conclusion.

I was wondering when it would hit him that he had Qui-Gon back from the dead really. I wanted to cry for him.:_|

Really good work
    =D==D==D==D=

17. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Ohhhh! [face_love] Excellent chapter!!! Loved the detailing of the shielding!

What a cute scene to walk into! Anakin snuggled against Obi! [face_love]

Poor Obi... :( you know he wants to tell him, but can't at least not yet anyways. Poor guy...

Well written! =D=

18. JediMormon

JediMormon Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2006
    Ouch! Qui-Gon has my sympathies, taking a knee to the kidneys can HURT! Well, at least we can assume he'll be a bit more careful in waking up Obi-Wan in the future, can't we? I liked this update, Qui-Gon's puzzlement at Obi-Wan's Kinas-shield was cool to read about. Obi just keeps digging himself in deeper and deeper doesn't he? I'm looking forward to seeing them meet with the Jedi Council. And if events go semi-according to canon, I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing Obi-Wan duel Darth Maul. Can't wait till your next update!

~ The Mormon Jedi

P.S - I was right! They were going to the galley to get food!

19. jaina_clan_solo

jaina_clan_solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    Wow! Wonderful update! =D=

That was quite the confrontation between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, it's going to be so hard for Obi-Wan to finally tell what has happened to him.

His skills have advanced so far because of his years of additional training.

I also really loved the image of Obi-Wan sleeping with the little Anakin, providing him with the comfort he needed.

Thank you so much for the PM, do I really have to wait till next Wednesday to read the next part :p

jcs

20. bibphile

bibphile Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2003
    I feel sorry for Qui-Gon when he's looking for Obi-Wan. It's nicely written.

I like the bit with Obi-Wan and Anakin curled up sleeping. It's sweet.

I noticed that Obi-Wan called Anakin "Ani." I'm pretty sure we've never seen that in the original universe.

I like the end with Qui-Gon holding Obi-Wan.

21. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

I wonder if those shadows of the future are
    fading away now that Obi-Wan
    and Anakin have become friends
    and were comforting each other.[face_peace]

Will Obi try to save his Master from dying:eek:

Brilliant post, full of tense emotions.
    Loving every word=D=

22. KTfanfic

KTfanfic Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 16, 2005
    Great job! =D= I love how panicked Qui-Gon got when he couldn?t find Obi-Wan and his reaction when he finally found Obi-wan with Anakin. :D I can?t wait to see what happens!

Thanks for the PM!
    ~KT

23. ___Sithspawn___

___Sithspawn___ Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2004
    I wish Obi-Wan would just tell Qui-Gon everything...[face_frustrated]

Great argument/emotional exchange between those two - from sparks to some lovely angst. Anakin's entrance was cute; I'm glad that we so far see none of the (future?) rift between them.

You've still got me hanging on to your every word.

24. ctt

ctt Jedi Knight

Mar 11, 2006
    Great chapter! I liked how Qui-Gon's notes the changes w/ Obi-wan yet he's still the same, like he can never shake the habit when he's lying. The interactions were wonderful. I can't wait for more.

25. Ocelotl_Nesto

Ocelotl_Nesto Jedi Master star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    Great post! I wonder what will happen now. Will Obi get a desire to reveal Palpy? Will Qui-Gon get his answers first? Or will he try not to alter the future too much...?

The post was well written. A good description of shielding. It was not overly wordy but explained the process of shielding without being boring. It also holds to reason that the Sith have been using a combination of shielding and distraction methonds too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.