main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Shadows of the Past, Part 1: Wrath of the Sith (Epic War, Jedi vs. Sith, Cannon + OC characters)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Darth_Ofidis, Nov 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Ofidis

Darth_Ofidis Jedi Master star 3

Aug 13, 2002
    Welcome to post 1, part 1 of Shadows of the Past: Wrath of the Sith. Set just after the death of the Emperor and the events of the Jedi Knight computer games, this fic features major war action, Jedi and Sith philosophy, saber duels and much, much more.

This fic has been a work in progress on the classic boards for over a year now, and I am now on my third draft. I ask, those of you who do not usually stick with OC fics, please give this one a chance, if you love duels, space/land wars, a convoluted plot, the Dark Side and a dash of romance, others assure me that you'll like this fic.

Also, my OC characters, Beholder, Lana, Fiar, Lonith Sard, Hon Korvos and Kilan have a history, please find the address of the fics which feature them in my bio if you are interested.

Please feel free to offer constructive critisisms and comments, I appreciate all feedback to my work.

With all that said, please enjoy!
    -------------------------------------

Shadows of the Past
    By Simon Gillen

Prologue

A Long Time Ago, In a Galaxy Far, Far away?

Shadows of the Past: Part 1
    Wrath of the Sith

With the EMPEROR finally dead, the IMPERIAL REMNANT has retreated to a small region of space besieged by the NEW REPUBLIC. While the increasingly desperate IMPERIAL COUNCIL grudgingly concedes to the conditions of a peace treaty, war still continues on the fringes of Republic and Imperial space. Of immediate concern to both sides is the TOBOR system, a planet united in revolt against Imperial rule and supported by New Republic Special Forces.
    Under the guidance of Alliance pilot and scavenger captain LANA, the ex-inquisitor BEHOLDER and their old companion FIAR joined the New Republic Special Forces under the command of COLONEL HAVIR more than six years ago and now, as the both sides stand down hostilities in preparation for a diplomatic summit conference, proceed in their last mission for the Battle of Tobor on the neighbouring planet of ZOBOS II?

Chapter 1

?Oh, this is pure heaven! The environmentals on these new suits are amazing!? T-17 admired his shiny, new, black Stormtrooper armor. He and his friend, T-18, stood watch outside a small outpost, situated on the moon of Zobos II. The dark jungle moon was quiet tonight as always, the forest canopy made of Soldar trees blocked most of the light underneath their leaves. As a consequence, they were the only plants on the moon which placed their roots in soil. Additionally the only animals were either arboreal or burrowing, little existed in between. Thus, guard duty on the surface was deathly quiet.

?Stop admiring your own reflection in it, we?re supposed to be guards here.? T-18 snapped, sick of his companion?s posturing.

?Heh, have you been on leave in this stuff yet? Man, the look on the civvies faces when you walk past, you?d think we were Vader himself??

?Shut up!? T-18 hissed, ?Don?t ever, ever, mention Vader. I served on the Executor? just the memories leave me cold.?

?T-17, report!? T-17?s commlink cracked.

?T-17, all clear!? T-17 snapped to attention as he answered.

?T-18, report!?

?T-18, all clear!?

The dart that suddenly punctured T-18?s neck came as a complete surprise to both sentries, though T-18?s choked gurgle didn?t quite express his emotion as he sank to the ground.

A stunned ?What the?? was all T-17 managed to say before he joined his companion in the dirt. Beholder slid down from his perch on the smooth trunk of a nearby Soldar tree and half-crawled swiftly over to the dead guards. He took the darts from their necks and carefully inserted them into his utility belt, scanning the area. A laser fence surrounded the compound, a tall building that supported a starpad above the distant canopy could be seen from Beholder?s position. The Imperials, as doctrine insisted, cleared all vegetation within thirty meters of any overt military post. Despite the collapse of the Empire, the Remnant still held on to old practices and ideals.

Beholder had left such things behind long ago. Quickly, he dragged the ?elite Stormtroopers?

2. tatooinewizard

tatooinewizard Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2003
    Great to see this, looking good. Not much else to say other than that, but you know what I think already.

3. Darth_Ofidis

Aug 13, 2002
    Thanks, T!

You'll probably see some slight variations in this from the previous version early on, but I have a feeling that the later chapters are going to need a bit more of a re-vamp.

Now I just have to get my active topic noteification to work...

4. Jedi_Sha

Jedi_Sha Jedi Master star 5

Oct 13, 2002
    great. great. and again great. :D

what else should i expect. ;)

5. Cam_Mulonus

Cam_Mulonus Jedi Master star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    Actually, I kinda needed a little refreshment with this. It's been quite a while since I read it last.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but did you just add the classic intro to the story? I don;t remember that first time around.

Excellent. Please, if you have stumbled aupon this, please read it!!! It will be well worth your time!

6. Darth_Ofidis

Aug 13, 2002
    Spotted it in one, Cam! Yes, the classic intro is new. There are a few other small changes to the flow and I did an edit to fix a few of the minor bloopers. The larger changes will come later, particularly the Jedi temple bits. That bit really needs some tightening up.

7. Darth_Ofidis

Aug 13, 2002
    Well, here is chapter 2. Ah! Before I forget, thanks to all those who have replied, I deeply appreciate it. :)

------------------------------------------

Chapter 2

Fiar laughed as Rotin bashed his fists futilely against the walls of his cage aboard the Moab II, his yelling blocked by the sound proof walls. Beholder ignored him, ?Did Kaysek receive the transmission??

?Yep. Took it hook, line and sinker,? Fiar replied, ?he?s pulled his forces back to the Norta System. That should give the Toborians time to fortify their planet.?

Beholder closed his eyes and nodded, ?Perhaps, but Kaysek will probably fortify his own forces at Norta, that would effectively turn this front into a stalemate. Neither side will be able to move.?

?It may not matter, the peace treaty gets signed in what, a week?? Fiar shrugged, ?Maybe this one will last awhile.?

?No, you don?t understand the Empire like I do, Fiar.? Beholder disagreed. ?They will not back down, not while scum like Rotin here are in charge. Keep an eye on him for me, would you??

Fiar nodded with a devilishly gleeful expression on her face. Rotin?s silent ranting was getting more humorous by the minute. Beholder left her to her entertainment and stepped up into the cockpit. The blue tunnel of hyperspace stretched off into the distance outside, but Beholder found something far more interesting to look at in the pilot?s chair. Lana stretched out in the seat, her muscles creaking from living in the cramped compartments of their ship for so long, observing the outpost for two days before making their move. Beholder crept up behind the chair, not making a sound.

?How was it?? Lana asked, eyes closed.

Beholder blinked, ?You?re getting much better at sensing my presence.?

?It?s all the practice you?ve been giving me.? Lana opened her eyes and reached up to hold his head in her hands, drawing him down into a lingering, upside down, kiss.

Finally, they pulled apart. ?Now, don?t change the subject, what happened in there?? Lana asked testily.

Beholder chuckled, ?I got stuck in the turbolift with an Imperial Officer who actually had half a brain.?

?Wow. That?s what? A one in a million chance?? Lana grinned.

?Actually, one of them said much the same thing about rebels.?

?Ha! I hope you taught him a lesson.?

Beholder rolled his eyes, ?No, I never got the opportunity, I was too busy running for my life to go back and chastise him. Look on the bright side, we?ll be heroes for bringing Rotin back for trial.?

Lana nodded, turning her attention back to the controls. ?We did receive an interesting message while you were inside.?

?Oh??

?We have been ordered to report to General Rieekan immediately on our return.?

?Rieekan? Carlist Rieekan??

?One and the same.?

Beholder scratched his chin in deep thought. Lana hated it when he was like this, sometimes he?d simply refuse to talk to her about his concerns. It was what started most of their fights. ?So what?s that dark look for? Have you met him before??

?No?? Beholder trailed off.

Lana got out of the seat and glared at him. It took Beholder several moments to notice that he was in trouble.

?What?? he asked, genuinely perplexed.

?Your promise, remember? You told me: no more secrets. Spill it, what?s wrong with you and General Rieekan?? Lana poked her finger into his chest.

?Nothing,? Beholder insisted, ?I was just considering his intentions, there?s been no news of a new front has there??

Lana squinted, searching his eyes for a lie. ?No, no news,? She sighed. Once again, she wondered if she would ever fully trust her boyfriend. In six years of fighting with the Republic, he had yet to offer her a ring of engagement, or any lasting sign of his feelings for her other than his continued presence. He practically never left her side, which was comforting, but?

?Maybe it?s something else then,? Beholder continued, oblivious to Lana?s conflicting emotions, ?I can?t see our unit being disbanded after all we?ve done in this sector. I guess we?ll just have to see when we ge

8. Jedi_Sha

Oct 13, 2002
    i'm still jealous of lana. [face_pout]

:p

more? [face_puppy_dog_eyes] please. so far it's (still) great!! :D

9. Darth_Ofidis

Aug 13, 2002
    More will be fourthcoming, I've just been swamped. Look for more this weekend, I promise.

10. Darth_Ofidis

Aug 13, 2002
    Well, I'm a day late, and I promised. The shame! The shame! :(

In an effort of appeasement, allow me to deliver Chapter 3! Things get alot better from here on out (as I'm sure some of you can attest). In fact, there will be a BIG change to the story after this as I pick up the pace.

Cam, Sha & T: You guys will be pleased to find out that I have just completed my FIRST independent short film, running for approx. 7-15 minutes (depending on which cut you look at)! So now I may be addressed as DIRECTOR Ofidis! MUAH HA HA HA HA HA HA! (Cough! Snort!) *mutters* dratted allergies...

---------------------------------------

Chapter 3

Fiar tried to identify the neon blue slop that wobbled on her breakfast tray as she walked down the hallway toward the gymnasium. For a moment, she was tempted to stop by the research labs and use the chemical analyzer on her food.

But she didn?t want to miss the show.

As the door to her destination parted to allow entry, Fiar noticed that she was not the only one to bring her breakfast in to watch. Indeed, it looked like half the base was crowded around the mat.

Fiar started to push her way through, holding her tray above her head so her ?food? it wouldn?t get tipped onto the floor, ?Excuse me, comin? through? out of the way??

She burst through the spectators just in time to see Lana hit the floor, hard. Beholder stepped back and lowered his saber, ?Are you alright, Lana??

Lana scowled in disappointment, ?Just winded. What the hell was that move??

?Strong style. When our blades locked I stepped forward to put my heel behind yours and pushed, catching your foot. It only works when your opponent is lighter than you, if they?re heavier they won?t even budge. Do you want to keep going??

Lana pulled herself to her feet, ?Of course, we?ve got another twenty minutes at least.?

?Besides,? Fiar shouted, ?They?ll be a general mutiny down here if you leave us unsatisfied!?

The crowd murmered in agreement. Lana chuckled, ?Well, dear, it seems we must please our fans??

Beholder looked at the gathered crowd. ?I see what you mean, they do look like rowdy types, don?t they? Particularly that greasy ship-monkey there.? Beholder pointed straight at Fiar.

Fiar put on her best dark leer, ?You better believe it, buster. Now get to it before I decide to kick your butt all over this mat.?

The crowd laughed. Fiar was certainly both the smallest and skinniest being on the Pillar watching her try to bully Beholder, one of the tallest, looked quite comical.

?Certainly, but may I suggest that the crowd take themselves and their food into those empty seats on the side lines.? Beholder suggested diplomatically. ?I am positive that it is more comfortable over there, and also quite a bit safer.?

The spectators looked at each other guiltily a moment. Fiar scratched the back of her head, juggling her tray in her other hand, ?Now why didn?t we think of that??

Lana stepped in before Beholder could utter the cutting remark she sensed he was about to make, ?I?m sure you were all just dazzled by watching Beholder kick the tar out of me. Now, how about clearing out some space so we can get on with it??

It only took a minute for the spectators to take their proper places, though a few had to sit on the gym equipment for lack of proper seats. Fiar had snapped up pride of place at the edge of the mat and now chewed eagerly on a strip of salty nerf jerky that seemed to have the consistency of leather. Lana took her place opposite Beholder, thankful for the moment?s respite. That was one thing she envied about Beholder, he seemed to be able keep going without even an hint of breathlessness. They both wore skintight suits and loose, baggy, pants to train. It gave them more freedom of movement than their regular clothes and soaked up the sweat that inevitably built up during their sessions.

Lana raised her saber into the ?Jedi Ready? stance, feet spread slightly, left foot slightly forward, the saber held vertically at her right hip. Much to her surprise, Beholder assumed the sa

11. Darth_Ofidis

Aug 13, 2002
  12. Darth_Ofidis

Aug 13, 2002
    Where is everyone? Is the entire net dead or what? BUMP! :(

13. Darth_Ofidis

Aug 13, 2002
    BUMP... again. :(

14. Darth_Ofidis

Aug 13, 2002
    Well this isn't working. Originally, I'd decided to re-vamp this and post it in order to attract some READERS.

Oh, well, I might as well give this my daily BUMP. :(

15. Jedi_Sha

Oct 13, 2002
    BUMP! BUMP BUMP BUMP!!

aha!!! i found it again!! i'm sorry for my disappearance. we're not even talking about 2003. we're going to forget it ever happened. snarl...

anyway, I LOVE IT!!!! and i would still love to read more. if you're still up to posting more.

16. Darth_Ofidis

Aug 13, 2002
    Well, I might as well make this official. I must apologise to my three faithful readers, Cam_Mulonus, Jedi Sha and Tattooine Wizard, but I am leaving the realm of fan fiction.

You probably already know why, but I will explain. Over the last year my readership has dwindled due to my sporadic posting schedule and, considering that I have only ever had approx. three readers at a time, this is a feat that astounds even I.

So, I must come to the conclusion that hardly anyone cares for my work. Add to that my frustrations and my encounters with the astounding politics of managing your way into the archives, and I have been forced to give up on what was for me at least a most enjoyable hobby.

Again, to Cam, Sha and T, my apologies. I'll see you around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.