main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Shakespearian

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by severian28, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    I stand to be corrected ( and believe me I do alot of standing ) but its IMHO that GL use of Shakesperian trained thespians ( Guiness, Cushing, Lee, Neeson, Stamp and McDiarmid ) have, in hindsight, greatly improved this saga. Ive done my homework on this one and all of the above actor has extensive theatre backgrounds in England and as a Hammer horror fan the fact that BOTH Cushing and Lee are part of the saga
    is awesome.

2. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    Those actors you mentioned are certainly some of the best of the entire saga and they do add a little something to the flavour of the galaxy.

3. Lord_Imperius

Lord_Imperius Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2004
    I agree, they can just say the lines well and seem to suit the GFFA.

4. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    a major theme in star wars is Romanticism, which requires emotional, personal displays of basic drama. courage, honor, good, evil, compassion, everything that shows a contrast of right and wrong. those actors are the most able at such expressions.

5. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    Or perhaps they were chosen because they look most like the ppl in GL's mind. Or for the OT, becos they needed some pull factors for ppl at that time to watch the movie.

6. Kodek

Kodek Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2003
    It is probably all of the above. I mean, the people mentioned are some of the greatest actors of our age, each in their own right. What was/is really cool about George's casting is that to balance out the tremendous abilities of the "seasoned thespians", so to speak, is that he also recruits relative unknowns as well (e.g. Mark Hamill, Carrie Fischer, Natalie Portman, Keira Knightley, etc.).

The man has an eye for talent, period.

- Kodek

7. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    desdemona anyone? othello / with palpatine as iago poisoning anakin/othello's mind

8. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    Good one lovelucas.

9. Eccentrica

Eccentrica Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2004
    "Keira Knightley"

What? She does nothing in the PT movies. She just walks around in make up for a couple of scenes in the background.

On a side note, it's spelt Shakespearean, not Shakespearian.

10. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    Thanks Eccetrica. You wanna regrade some of my college term papers? I dont care MODS, Ill take the slap for that one.

11. Eccentrica

Eccentrica Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2004
    "Thanks Eccetrica."

It's Eccentrica, and I'd love to mark your term papers. ;)

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't know about an eye for talent really.

Hamill, who had the leading role in SW (one of the most successful film series of all time) never got another significant role. Lloyd hasn't fared to well either, as I understand. Even Christensen, who's had some other well-recieved films, hasn't had any "big" roles outside of SW.

Not that great of a track record. . .

13. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Remember that Mark was casted because he had chemistry with the rest of the group. Casting in ANH was done because the group worked well, not because a particular actor.

Also, talent doesn't equal to success. I know of plenty of talented actors who only appear in one movie and their careers just end.

14. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    So true Spike - think Brad Davis in Midnight Express or Judd Nelson in The Breakfeast Club - both those guys were tabbed to be " the next big thing ".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.