main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Shall We Play a Game? - Arranging Video Game Storylines By Level

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Oct 26, 2003.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    (NOTE: This thread was originally posted in 2003, original opening post follows)

With Rebel Strike coming out and it's levels taking place inbetween levels from the previous titles, as well as events from the other games, I figure there should be a thread arranging these levels, so people could theoretically play through everything and expierience to the storylines in chronological order.

I'm gonna divide things up into a TOTJ/prequel era listing and a post-episode 3 up-to-NJO listing.

I'm gonna start out with the latter, since I already had some inroads figuring out RL and RS's arrangement for the other thread. This mainly has just the Rogue Squadron series, but I figure people more familar with the other titles can add to it from there.

Episode III to NJO:

Rogue Leader: Tatooine Training
    Rebel Strike: Tatooine Training

Rebel Strike: Death Star Rescue
    Rogue Leader: Death Star Escape

Rogue Leader: Death Star Attack
    Rogue Squadron: Death Star Trench Run
    Rogue Leader: Triumph of the Empire (AU)

Rebel Strike: Revenge of the Empire
    Rogue Leader: Revenge on Yavin (AU)

Rogue Squadron: Beggar's Canyon

Rogue Squadron: Ambush at Mos Eisley
    Rogue Squadron: Rendezvous on Barkesh
    Rogue Squadron: Search for the Nonnah
    Rogue Squadron: Defection on Corellia
    Rogue Squadron: Liberation of Gerrard V
    Rogue Squadron: The Jade Moon
    Rogue Squadron: Imperial Construction Yards
    Rogue Squadron: Assault on Kile II
    Rogue Squadron: Rescue on Kessel
    Rogue Squadron: Prisons of Kessel
    Rogue Squadron: Battle Above Taloraan
    Rogue Squadron: Escaoe From Fest
    Rogue Squadron: Blockade on Chandrila
    Rogue Squadron: Raid on Sullust
    Rogue Squadron: Moff Seerdon's Revenge

Rebel Strike: Defiance on Dantooine
    Rebel Strike: Defenders of Ralltiir
    Rebel Strike: Extraction From Ralltiir

(Dark Forces)

Rogue Leader: Ison Corridor Ambush

Rogue Leader: Battle of Hoth
    Rebel Strike: Battlefield Hoth
    Rogue Squadron: Battle of Hoth
    Rebel Strike: Escape From Hoth
    Rogue Leader: Asteroid Field

Rebel Strike: Trials of a Jedi

Rebel Strike: Flight From Bespin

Rogue Leader: Prisoners of the Maw

Rebel Strike: Raid at Bakura
    Rebel Strike: Relics of Geonosis
    Rebel Strike: Deception at Destrillion
    Rebel Strike: Guns of Dubrillion

Rogue Leader: Razor Rendezvous
    Rogue Leader: Vengeance at Kothlis

Rogue Leader: Imperial Academy Heist

Rogue Leader: Raid on Bespin

Rebel Strike: Fondor Shipyard Assault

Rebel Strike: The Sarlacc Pit

Rebel Strike: Speeder Bike Pursuit

Rogue Leader: Battle of Endor
    Rebel Strike: Triumph of the Rebellion
    Rebel Strike: Attack on Executor
    Rogue Leader: Strike at the Core

(Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight)
    (Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith)

Rogue Squadron: Battle of Calamari

(Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast)

(Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy)

Ison Corridor might happen earlier than it's current placement- I believe it's supposed to be the debut of the TIE Interceptor, and I think there were Interceptors in RS1. But the convoy in it is also supposed to be moving stuff between Yavin and Hoth, so I have it where it is currently.

I'm not as familiar with the events in XW and TIE, so I'll let those more knowledgable about them to help determine their placement.

2. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Two things: I have Ison Corridor right after the Evacuation of Yavin (and i dont remember the Tie Interceptor thing, especially since i just replayed that level)...

also, i have the 4th, 5th, and 6th Luke levels of Rebel Strike happening before the first 3 of Rogue Squadron, simply because they dont have wedge in them, and we know wedge was busy for the few weeks after the evacuation of Yavin (6 months ABY), as seen in Planet Plague (GoF3)

Also, Tie Fighter and X-Wing Alliance definately ties (no pun intended) into Rebel Strike (and each other), not to mention the Shadows of the Empire game.

3. ArsenicMan

ArsenicMan Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2000
    1) Dark Forces's first level (I can't remember the name, and the blasted game won't run on XP) takes place before the Battle of Yavin, as it involves Kyle finding the Death Star plans.

2) Tours of Duty 1 & 2 from X-Wing go before the first mission of Dark Forces. Tour 3 picks up after said mission, and runs through ANH (the last mission is the Trench Run). Tours 4 and 5 are at some point between ANH and ESB, but I can't be any more specific than that off the top of my head.

3) TIE Fighter picks up after ESB, but ends before ROTJ. It may or may not overlap with X-Wing Alliance.

4) X-Wing Alliance includes the Suprosa mission (from Shadows of the Empire, as well as the run on the second Death Star at the very end. I'm pretty sure that it starts after ESB.

5) X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter: Balance of Power (the expansion which actually includes a single-player campaign) probably takes place after ESB, since it has Rogue Squadron not being led by Luke. I think that it's pre-ROTJ, though.

6) Technically, "Battle of Calamari" happens during Mysteries of the Sith, though when isn't really particular. (The game explains where Mara was during the whole Dark Empire saga.)

Over Thanksgiving, I'll pull out my X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and Dark Forces strategy guides, and try to give you more useful information on them.

4. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Nice! Very impressive 2ndquest.

5. JoruusCbaoth

JoruusCbaoth Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    ArsenicMan

"2) Tours of Duty 1 & 2 from X-Wing go before the first mission of Dark Forces. Tour 3 picks up after said mission, and runs through ANH (the last mission is the Trench Run). Tours 4 and 5 are at some point between ANH and ESB, but I can't be any more specific than that off the top of my head."

X-wing ends as late as 2 years after Yavin, though not having played through the later tours myself, I'm uncertain of further details. I know the Rebel fleet does escape to Hoth, and presumably, the Rebel base is established then.

"3) TIE Fighter picks up after ESB, but ends before ROTJ. It may or may not overlap with X-Wing Alliance. "

XWA and TIE Fighter basically run in parallel to each other, most notably a pre-defection (Grand?)Admiral Zaarin (wearing an olive-drab, not white uniform) throwing prototype TIEs at the Rebels. TIE Fighter ends as the Endor battle is going on ("We await word of the Emperor's final victory at Endor"), while XWA shows the battle itself. I've not seen anything in XWA to indicate that it started before Hoth, so I'm assuming it started about the same time. The lack of any other cross-canon missions (besides Zaarin and the Suprosa) that I can recall places it almost entirely in the post-ESB era.

I'm looking forward to this thread going places, so I again give props to The2ndQuest

6. The2ndRest-in-Peace

The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    >> Two things: I have Ison Corridor right after the Evacuation of Yavin (and i dont remember the Tie Interceptor thing, especially since i just replayed that level)...<<

I figured it was either just before Hoth or right before Yavin...and I thought I remembered that being the Interceptor's debut, but you're right- the game doesn't say that, my mistake.

>>also, i have the 4th, 5th, and 6th Luke levels of Rebel Strike happening before the first 3 of Rogue Squadron, simply because they dont have wedge in them, and we know wedge was busy for the few weeks after the evacuation of Yavin (6 months ABY), as seen in Planet Plague (GoF3) <<

Don't you mean the first three levels of Luke in Rebel Strike? (or 2nd, 3rd and 4th, depending on if you count Yavin) That's pretty good reasoning- I figured they had to be close to each other.

7. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Eh. Zaarin was Grand Admiral. That's become fact. Just ignore what's on screen. :p

After all Vice Admiral Thrawn wore a GA's unform.

8. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    nope, i mean the first 3 levels of the original RS game...since Wedge is hanging out with Luke on Tatooine (AND it being set 6 months ABY), it must occur sometime before Planet Plague (which says hes been on Gobindi for like 2 weeks or so...meaning he left for that mission right after the evacuation). The post Evac Luke missions w/ Luke could easily take place during this period time (when Wedge is on Gobindi) explaining where Wedge was during the missions.

9. The2ndRest-in-Peace

Oct 27, 2002
    So, revised, brings us, so far to this:

Episode III to NJO:

X-Wing: Tour of Duty 1: A New Ally
    X-Wing: Tour of Duty 2: The Great Search

Dark Forces: Death Star Plans- Operation Skyhook: Phase 2

X-Wing: Tour of Duty 3: Imperial Pursuit

X-Wing: Tour of Duty 4:
    X-Wing: Tour of Duty 5: B-Wing

Dark Forces: After the Massacre
    Dark Forces: The Subterranean Hideout
    Dark Forces: Imperial Weapons Research Facility
    Dark Forces: The Blood Moon
    Dark Forces: Crix Madine's Fate
    Dark Forces: Deadly Cargo
    Dark Forces: Ice Station Beta
    Dark Forces: The Death Mark
    Dark Forces: Jabba's Revenge
    Dark Forces: The Imperial Mask
    Dark Forces: Smuggler's Hijack
    Dark Forces: The Stowaway
    Dark Forces: The Dark Awakening

(TIE Fighter)
    (X-Wing Alliance)
    (X-Wing vs TIE Fighter)

Rogue Squadron: Battle of Calamari

(Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast)

(Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy)

I'll try to work in the SOTE levels tommorow...should be easy if we use the Razor/Kothlis missions to determine what SOTE levels happen before or after them in relation to discovery of the DS2 in SOTE's novel, etc.

And, if the Suprosa ties into XWA (as does the Tyderium), that should give us an anchor for XWA's missions.

Anyone want to tackle the GBG missions?

10. JoruusCbaoth

JoruusCbaoth Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    Matt

"Eh. Zaarin was Grand Admiral. That's become fact. Just ignore what's on screen.

After all Vice Admiral Thrawn wore a GA's unform."

True. Though I'm sure there's a fix for it, but I have no idea what it is.

Though I think Thrawn's promotion to GA was done in secret before it was done in public.

The2ndQuest

Do you plan on doing a detailed chronological breakdown of X-wing, TIE Fighter and XWA missions? I'd help out with that if so.

11. ArsenicMan

Aug 2, 2000
    I'm willing to do the same for X-Wing and TIE Fighter.

12. tyderium1111

tyderium1111 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2003
    I could help out with Galactic Battlegrounds, and pretty much any other game.

13. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    In Rogue Squad 64: Battle of Calamari, Wedge calls his astromech Mynock when it would've been Gate. A slight error, but very minor, though you could easily excuse it any number of ways.

14. The2ndRest-in-Peace

Oct 27, 2002
    >> Do you plan on doing a detailed chronological breakdown of X-wing, TIE Fighter and XWA missions? I'd help out with that if so.<<

Yeah, I'm hoping for a breakdown of the XW, TIE and XWvsTIE missions (and everything else, really) especially since they seem to interweave and all, and since most of tbose happen between ESB and ROTJ, it should be easy to lock in certain events.

15. Violento

Violento Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2002
    "In Rogue Squad 64: Battle of Calamari, Wedge calls his astromech Mynock when it would've been Gate. A slight error, but very minor, though you could easily excuse it any number of ways."

Oh, you are obviously forgetting the fact that Wedge Antilles was commanding the battle from a cap ship in the comic, not in a fighter, ;).

I don't know if he got time to get into a fighter for a portion of the battle, between panels or not?

However, if he did, he may have been using Mynock in the fighter he used, instead of Gate... IIRC, Gate/Mynock from the X-wing books was an R5 unit. The the Mynock from Rogue Squadron 3-D, was an R2 unit. A R2 unit nicknamed Mynock need not be the same R5 unit nicknamed Gate, but a different astromech altogether(wedge need not be the only one to have an astromech with a nickname, Mynock...) So there is no way that R5 Gate = R2 Mynock. If he had time to take part in the battle between scenes, he would have had to have been using a different astromech than Gate.

In that case there is no error... To assume that they are the same astromech unit, on the other hand, takes great leaps of logic...

16. ArsenicMan

Aug 2, 2000
    (why should wedge be the only one to nickname a r2 mynock, I'm sure others could have done the same before)

Actually, Wedge didn't name it; he came named that way (after a specific personality trait). Gate was chosen by Wedge, though.

To assume that they are the same r2 unit, on the other hand, takes great leaps of logic...

No, it doesn't. Say that there's some hardware defect in him causing him to, eventually, lose control and get screechy when he's scared (hence the name Mynock--because he screeched like one). If this trait developed again, Wedge might've just changed his name back.

17. Violento

Violento Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2002
    Ahh, but your forgetting, Mynock/Gate was an R5. The particular Mynock from the Rogue Squadron game was an R2, :).

They certainly can't be the same astromech, they aren't even the same model of astromech, :D. It takes great leaps of logic to think that an R5 = R2, [face_laugh].

18. ArsenicMan

Aug 2, 2000
    The particular Mynock from the Rogue Squadron game was an R2,

Rather, Factor 5 designed all the player ships to have R2-D2 in them, since for all but the last mission he's your astromech. Thusly, your squadron mates also all have R2-D2 as well, IIRC. I don't think that you can really determine the model of astromech from the model of the ship, because of this.

19. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    ok, adding my bit of info.. as lifted from the net.

Force Commander:
    FC: mission 1-3: Desert Training 1-3 -- discovery of Threepio/Artoo's escape pod during ANH, tracking down a sandcrawler and working on a tip that leads you to an empty Ben Kenobi's hut.

FC: mission 4-5 Assault on Ruul 1-2
    FC: mission 6-7 Crisis on Sarapin 1-2

FC: mission 8 The trap at Yavin -- when imperial ground forces come to mop up after the destruction of the Death Star.

FC: mission 9 - The Battle of Hoth (ESB)

FC: mission 10 - Surprise at Endor -- securing some ground on Endor from the ewoks so that the empire can set up a base...

FC: missions 11-13: Massacre at Abridon 1-3
    capture Luke Skywalker on Abridon

FC: mission 14: Escape from Kalaan
    first rebel mission -- free Luke, escape

FC: mission 15-16: Return to Ruul 1-2

FC: mission 17-18: The Walker Gambit

FC: mission 19-20: Redemption at Abridon

FC: mission 21: The Alliance strikes back -- Han, Luke, Leia, Chewie and the rest on Endor.. getting ewoks on their side and get Han into the shield generator. ROTJ

FC: mission 22-24: The Siege of Coruscant
    the taking of the Imperial Palace...

20. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    You forgot one battle. THe shyhook battle from Shadows of the Empire.

21. cavalier_one

cavalier_one Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    I've not seen anything in XWA to indicate that it started before Hoth, so I'm assuming it started about the same time. The lack of any other cross-canon missions (besides Zaarin and the Suprosa) that I can recall places it almost entirely in the post-ESB era.

XWA spans the entire year between Hoth and Endor; the opening cut-scene features the Azzameen family escape from Hoth during the events of ESB and ends with the Battle of Endor.

22. The2ndRest-in-Peace

Oct 27, 2002
    >> I don't know if he got time to get into a fighter for a portion of the battle, between panels or not?<<

The battle seemed to span quite a bit of time in the comics- it's almost happening for most of the story it seems, so there was definaitely time for Wedge to take a V-Wing in.

23. The2ndRest-in-Peace

Oct 27, 2002
    Ok, this update reflects SOTE and my suggested placement for the FC missions based on the information posted above (but I haven't played that game, so feel free to suggest any adjustments).

I think the main priority after this should be to start breaking down the XW/TIE levels; should be easy to place most of the XWA levels based on Suprosa and the Razor levels; the others might be trickier.

Episode III to NJO:

X-Wing: Tour of Duty 1: A New Ally
    X-Wing: Tour of Duty 2: The Great Search

Dark Forces: Death Star Plans- Operation Skyhook: Phase 2

Force Commander: Desert Training 1-3

X-Wing: Tour of Duty 3: Imperial Pursuit

Force Commander: Assault on Ruul 1-2
    Force Commander: Crisis on Sarapin 1-2

Force Commander: The Trap at Yavin

X-Wing: Tour of Duty 4:
    X-Wing: Tour of Duty 5: B-Wing

Dark Forces: After the Massacre
    Dark Forces: The Subterranean Hideout
    Dark Forces: Imperial Weapons Research Facility
    Dark Forces: The Blood Moon
    Dark Forces: Crix Madine's Fate
    Dark Forces: Deadly Cargo
    Dark Forces: Ice Station Beta
    Dark Forces: The Death Mark
    Dark Forces: Jabba's Revenge
    Dark Forces: The Imperial Mask
    Dark Forces: Smuggler's Hijack
    Dark Forces: The Stowaway
    Dark Forces: The Dark Awakening

Force Commander: Battle of Hoth
    Shadows of the Empire: Battle of Hoth
    Shadows of the Empire: Escape From Echo Base
    Shadows of the Empire: The Asteroid Field

(TIE Fighter)
    (X-Wing Alliance)
    (X-Wing vs TIE Fighter)

Force Commander: Surprise at Endor

Force Commander: Massacre at Abridon 1-3
    Force Commander: Escape from Kalaan
    Force Commander: Return to Ruul 1-2
    Force Commander: The Walker Gambit
    Force Commander: Redemption at Abridon

Shadows of the Empire: Ord Mantell Junkyard
    Shadows of the Empire: Gall Spaceport
    Shadows of the Empire: Mos Eisley and Beggar's Canyon

Shadows of the Empire: Imperial Freighter Suprosa

Shadows of the Empire: Sewers of Imperial City
    Shadows of the Empire: Xizor's Palace
    Shadows of the Empire: Skyhook Battle

Force Commander: The Alliance Strikes Back

Force Commander: The Siege of Coruscant

Rogue Squadron: Battle of Ca

24. ArsenicMan

Aug 2, 2000
    Know how I said Thanksgiving I could get the XW/TF strat guides? Make that this weekend. So Monday or Tuesday I should have that all sorted out.

25. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I can't see how Wedge had time to fly a V-wing and help command the fleet. Remember, Wedge and Lando were on the Emancipator until it was destroyed by a World Devastator. After that, they boarded escape pods and were retrieved by rescue frigates.

So, unless he jumped on board a fighter right after his rescue, I can't see how this works.