main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Shannara series by Terry Brooks

Discussion in 'Community' started by Force Smuggler, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    TX-20 likes this.
  2. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Ah yes, the first shot in the endless series of Tolkien fanfics that has come to characterize contemporary fantasy fiction.

Ender Sai and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The Hadeshorn at least was a unique idea.
    Heritage of Shannara is probably my favorite set of books in the series.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Isn't this the guy who's obsessed with rape in every single one of his books? No thank you.

5. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I haven't read either author, but I think you might be confusing him with Terry Goodkind.

6. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    No, I think that's Stephen Donaldson.

7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    It was one of the Terry's, but I was pretty sure it was Brooks.

8. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    If you're thinking of the guy who wrote the character with leprosy that rapes a teenage girl, that's Donaldson.

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Nope. Not Brooks.

10. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    After some Googling, I've discovered that this Goodkind fellow seems obsessed with rape. So, there's the Terry you're looking for.

A lot of these fantasy writers are creepy people, in general.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Brooks' stuff is fun fantasy for the most part, not the best writing you'll come across but mostly entertaining. Didn't the last series, Lost Legacy, to be as good as I was hoping - suffered from being a bit too dark, though Brooks' writing isn't as cuddly as it is accused of being.

12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Alright guess I just confused them. A friend of mine told me there's one book where a mad wizard eats a baby in the most horrific way possible.

13. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Yeah, at first, I thought you had to be referring to Donaldson, but you were correct in thinking it was one of the Terry's.

I wouldn't be turned off automatically by reading a scene with rape or baby-eating in it. So much depends on the tone and the execution of what's being shown (and I assume these actions are being shown, instead of being referred to or hinted at). Still, from what I understand after a Google search, the Goodkind guy seems kind of obsessed with rape everywhere.

His wikipedia picture:

[​IMG]

If I saw that guy walking down the street, I'd run in the other direction as far and fast as my swimmer legs could take me before giving out.

Juke Skywalker and heels1785 like this.
  14. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Yeah, Goodkind is rapey to the max and obsessed with BDSM. Why and how they made his books into a PG/PG 13 rated network TV show is a mystery.

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked Dark Legacy even if it was a repeat of Elfstones even if the Tree plot line was expanded. I just wish we had seen what the other elfstones did.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Let's be honest, no way does Tael Riverine beat Dagda Mor or even the Reaper in the villain stakes.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed. I also like the demon (Can't remember his name) from the Word and Void trilogy and his appearances in Genesis of Shannara trilogy.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Now that was one creepy character for sure.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I agree with everything Bob Salvatore said on this subject: Elfstones of Shannara was one of the best fantasy novels I've read and I can't wait to see Garret Jax in Wishsong.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Jax was a great character.

21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah. I liked that he wrote names in a book of the people he killed

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I read Sword and Elfstones when they first came out, and reread them about 3 years ago. Sword did not age well, but Elfstones is still very good. It's like Brooks took a course in creative writing between the two.

23. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I think a lot of first novels are a pastiche of the author's biggest influence. As DarthLowBudget put it, Sword is basically Tolkien fanfiction. It's ham-fisted, but also likeable. The only other bit of Brooks I've read is his novelization of The Phantom Menace, which I enjoyed more than the movie, actually.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Well, yeah, The Sword of Shannara is basically a shorter Lord of the Rings (probably why I enjoyed it and not LOTR), but still stands on its own. However, Elfstones is a master-class in fantasy and Wishsong closes out that trilogy about as well as can be expected after writing something as good as Elfstones.

25. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I read Elfstones when I was eighteen and studying abroad. Well, tried to, to be honest. I found it bland and derivative. I couldn't believe that "bestseller" tag that the cover proudly showed. When the best thing you I say about a novel is "hey, it reads like a D&D game"... it's just not worth my time.

I might give the MTV series (not movie) a chance, though,