main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Shara's new project

Discussion in 'Archive: Scotland' started by Shara, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Hey all. I wanted to come to you all first in the early stages of one of my research projects because it involves you all in a way and I'd like to have your input in the project.

As some of you know, I'm taking History of the British Isles this semster. The professor was once told that she was the only person they knew who could teach history of the British Isles and not talk about the British. So it should come as no surprise that one of my projects will involve Scotland and Scottish people.

Since getting to know you all and learning more about the country and the people, I've latched on to a few assumptions that I'd like to run by you as I work on this research. What I would like to ask from you is to help me get some of these assumptions or inferences correct, or as correct as can be, so I don't make a fool of myself.

As an explanation, if you don't know much about me, etc., here is some information on who I am academically, because this is a project for school. I have a Bachelor's of Arts degree in Sociology, a generally 4 year degree. Although I had a focus of study in Criminal Justice, this was because I wanted to be a lawyer and that idea has long left me. My minors were in International Relations and Religious Studies. Currently I am in Graduate School for Sociology but I am hoping to go to another school next year, become a Cultural Anthropology major and minor in Western European Studies, being my two main geographical areas of study the Celtic-descendent UK Nations and the European Union.

Don't worry almost over. Along with having geographical studies, I also have topical studies, which mostly have to do with ethnic identity, nationalism, and cultural change affected by government change and vice versa. This is where you all come in. I have 2 small presentations and one large final project. One of the small presentations I would like to look at the Catholic history of Scotland, and even how it transmits to modern Scotland. The large project will be about Scottish nationalism and ethnic identity, historically and modern.

I can't offer any monetary compensation, but I would like to offer my undieing gratitude to anyone who would like to help me or to give me their opinions on those subjects. I would very much like a more "human" view of things to compare to my academic view of the subjects. Please PM me and let me know if you're interested, as well as giving me your email because I will most likely contact you that way.

Thanks!

2. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    And what, prey tell is wrong with the rest of us Brits?! ;) (j/k)

Now, I may have this wrong but I always thought that the "Scots" were originally from Ireland, The Celts were the true Britons of whom the Welsh are the closest related, the Picts were from North of the border i.e. Scotland and us English migrated from Germany as the Saxons, Angles and Jutes and pushed the Celts to the fringes of the land.

Having said that can I ask why you are interested in Scotland? Is it family ties or just an interest in a very nice part of the UK?

As for anything else I can't really help as I'm an Englishman.

3. MrDankDonk

MrDankDonk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2001
    :: rattles sabre ::

sassenachs ahoy !

4. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Well Asa, this is what I've learned about Scotland's early early history:
    -A group of people called the Scotti (named by the Romans) came over from Ireland and settled in Strathclyde.
    -The Picts were generally in the Highlands and generally stayed that way for a looooong time.
    -The Kingdom of Scots, under Kenneth McAlpin(sp?) was really mostly in the lowlands.
    -Vikings came through the north and the Hebrides and settled throughout there.

So there is a lot of different groups, but the "original native" Scots were really the Picts who somehow got there through either Ireland or England/Wales from the continent. The going theory is Ireland.

But why? A mix of family history, general curiousity and facination, and well....many of them are dead sexaaay! ;) @ MrDankDonk

5. PadawanSDM

PadawanSDM Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 27, 2000
    Dead sexxay eh?

You met DD yet?

I'm happy to help but I'm not on here much so I will PM you with my email address.

SDM

6. MrDankDonk

MrDankDonk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2001
    [image=http://www.geocities.com/austinpowers3us/fatbas.jpg]

d'yee like ma boaadday?
    d'yee think ah'm sexxaay?

7. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    I'm a viking fae Kincardine

8. PadawanSDM

PadawanSDM Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 27, 2000
    Minxy! What you doing back here girl? You lost?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.