main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Share the Love

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Chris-M, Nov 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris-M

Chris-M Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2002
    Okay, so those of us who have a few problems with the prequels have had our say in a thread that shall remain nameless. As promised, here's a thread for sharin' the love, man.

The purpose of this thread is NOT to spur some sort of "the prequels are great/the prequels are not great" debate. It's not like anyone is going to change anyone else's mind -- besides, like what you wanna like.

So instead of making lists of what is good (which would just invite the debate we want to avoid in this thread), I thought it would be more fun and more insightful instead to take turns describing the scenes or moments in The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones that gave you that Star Wars feeling. Talk about the moments that put a big silly grin on your face and made you feel the same way the original trilogy films did at their best.

Of course there's the whole 20th Century Fox drumroll to the Lucas Films Ltd logo to the "A Long Time Ago, In A Galaxy Far, Far Away..." screen to the Star Wars logo through the text crawl sequence, so let's just get that one out of the way right off the bat. What else?

I'll list just a couple here because I don't want to hog all the good ones.

First, at the beginning of TPM, when Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan bust out the lightsabers and start kicking robot butt is awesome -- as good as any action sequence in the OT. When Qui-Gon realizes the blast doors to the bridge have been closed and he sticks his lightsaber blade into the middle of the doors and starts fragging the whole thing with John Williams' awesome score growing in the background...THAT is a Star Wars moment.

Second, in AotC, when Anakin and Padme are hauled out into the middle of the arena and changed next to Obi-Wan, followed by the now-classic "We came to rescue you," "Good job" exchange between Anakin and Obi-Wan...THAT is a Star Wars moment.

Those two sequences are terrific and make me feel like I'm in the Star Wars universe I know and love. So what scenes were Star Wars moments for you?

(And remember, no posting to tell someone else that their Star Wars moment sucked. Everyone gets to pick their own Star Wars moments and no one is wrong unless I say so ;) )

--Chris M.

2. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    Darth Maul's entrance in the hangar. Chills up the spine. Duel of the Fates. The most awesome swordfight of all time.

3. Chris-M

Chris-M Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2002
    Yes! Both of those of awesome. Great picks!

--Chris M.

4. Darth_Chocolate

Darth_Chocolate Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    Ok, I have one from each that I'll share and get them out of the way also.

TPM- The pod race. 'nough said. That gets me going every time. It makes me recall seeing the trench sequence on the first Death Star.

AOTC- Anakin in the Tusken village & and the garage scene that follows. Absolutely brilliant! And I love the line they added on the DVD at the end of the garage scene. (see my signature)

If i had to add another, I would say back in TPM when Sidious introduces Maul via hologram. Well, most of Sidious' holo-communique is great. "I will make it legal." "I don't want to see this stunted slime in my sights again" "Wipe them out, all of them!"

And Branson, excellent choice. That was my first pick from TPM as well.

5. Mithrandir

Mithrandir Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 1999
    "It's working! It's working!" I think thats my fav scene in TPM. I like that whole scene (except for JarJar getting caught in the engine). I like the whole conversation between QuiGon and Shmi in the "fixin the pod" scene.

I also really, really enjoy the scene when QuiGon and Anakin leave Shmi's home and Annie turns back to his mom. "Don't look back, Dont look back".

"ObiWan Kenobi meet Anakin Skywalker" "Your a Jedi Knight? Please to meet you"

All good stuff.

EDIT
    AOTC - Anakin staring off to the distance outside the Lars homestead much like Luke did in NH.

TPM - R2 saving the Queens ship from the blockade while other astromechs are getting their arses blown out of the sky.

TPM - R2 being introduced to the "queen" and company after he saves her ship.

TPM - "The queen trusts my judgement, so should you."

TPM - "Mind tricks dont work on me, only money" -- That whole exchange between QuiGon and Watto is great. QuiGon's frustration is also classic.

TPM - "Do something General Jar Jar!" "My give up. My give up!" (one of the only Jar Jar scenes I liked)

More later.. It's very hard to find things that I like about these films. Most of the times they are just little snipets...like j'por snippets.

6. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    The scene in AOTC when Mace jumps into the arena then the camera pans left with all the running battle droids. Then the music swells and you see a ton of Jedi running towards them. Gives me goosebumps everytime.

More to come...

:cool:

7. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Strangely enough, the scene that pulls the most emotion out of me from TPM is a very simple one.

When Anakin asks Qui-Gon if he's a Jedi. There's just so much there. The quiet, sad music comes up, and you know that this innocent little boy will become evil beyond comparison.

8. Darth_Chocolate

Darth_Chocolate Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    Beyond comparison?

*cough*PALPATINE*cough*

9. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Quiet, you. I was being poetic. ;)

10. stone

stone Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    dooku to obiwan
    "oh no my friend, this is a mistake, a terrible mistake, they've gone too far, this is madness!"

11. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    In AOTC, when Taun We shakes her groove thang while sashaying out of Jango's apartment...but you knew that alread ;)

MUCH more later!!! I will infect you all with my prequel love-madness!!!! :cool:

12. jedilona

jedilona Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    I'd been wondering when you'd get to Taun We ;)

Anyway for me,
    Duel between Darth Maul & Obi & Qui..
    And of course the duel between Yoda & Dooku, I just couldn't wait to see that one :D

13. TI1420

TI1420 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    When Obi-Wan just leaps the heck outta Padme's apartment to catch the assassin droid- THAT is what Jedi do! I still whoop out loud when I see that! This has become one of my all-time favorite movie scenes.
    *comic book guy voice*: "Best Jedi scene EVER."

Also Obi-Wan's bar scene in AotC is very reminiscent of EpIV. So far, Obi is 2 for 2 on cutting off arms in bars, and real quick-like.
    And of course I love the Jedi mind trick... "I don't want to sell you any death sticks..." Kenobi's always good for the mind tricks.

Lucas is on record as saying that these films are very like a visual symphony, with repeating movements and themes, and I am really enjoying that. The parallels he is drawing between the two trilogys is working pretty well for me.

Ep 1 is similar to IV in that a young Skywalker leaves Tattooine rather traumatically (but in good company), each boy's mentor is cut down, each takes a starfighter and blows up a huge enemy structure through a single lucky shot.

EpII resembles EpV so far mostly in the end scenes. Dooku trying to seduce Obi-Wan, Anakin getting his arm off nearly the same place as Luke, the bad guy gets away. Not as many parallels but maybe I'll catch something with the next several dozen viewings. :D

14. Jango_Bango

Jango_Bango Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2002
    My two favorites from the first two movies:

-Maul removing his hood when the hangar doors open (Music soooo good) *chills*

-The look in Anakin's eyes holding his dead mother....and the psychotic killer music
    starts playing.... :eek: I was like....now there is Vader! Up until that point, I was
    wondering how this padawan kid with a bad attitude and a strong desire to get into
    a certain senators pants was going to turn into my all-time darkest baddest bad guy
    of all time!!! ;)

Kev

15. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    "Oh, look--gooberfish!" makes me chuckle.

And the whole idea of Jar Jar banished for being clumsy, which flies in the face of the traditional angst-ridden vigilante on the run for crimes he did not commit, and nicely points out the strange yin-yang mix of Republic-era innocence and its dark underbelly.

Jar Jar hanging onto the Trade Federation tank's gun barrel for dear life...enjoy that shot a lot!

On the IMAX, the beads on Jar Jar's robes looked and sounded neat!

Oh, and Jar Jar's gulp while Obi and Ani argue is great [face_laugh]

"But what Senator would have the courage to propose such a radical amendment?!" Just the fact that Palpy could keep a straight face while saying that...poor Mr. Binks, it's a classic yelling "NO! Don't do it!!!" at the screen moment! [face_laugh]

16. jedilona

Nov 18, 2000
    Let me NOT forget:

"It is with great reluctance that I have agreed to this calling. I love democracy, I love the Republic{of course he does}..The power you give me, I will lay down{yeah suuuuure he will} when this crisis has abated"

17. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    "Delow Felagates"

:cool:

18. jango-joe1

jango-joe1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2001
    Meeting Boba Fett's father in AOTC.

Then actually meeting Temuera Morrison three days later :D

19. jedilona

Nov 18, 2000
    Then actually meeting Temuera Morrison three days later

THAT was a definite highlight for me too :D

20. jango-joe1

Apr 25, 2001
    I guess it's great seeing characters like Anakin and Boba as kids, cause all we know them as an adult Dark Lord of the Sith and an adult bounty hunter.

21. super_hyper_melanie

super_hyper_melanie Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2001
    yes i remember that....it was great....jango was awesome as a character (except for his lovely stupidity near the end) and then meeting tem only three days later was very fun....though all my friends made fun of me and kept making comments like 'don't faint until after you're off the stage and have a secured autograph'...overexagerations of course (yah of course of course)...just because i got a little jango obsessive sheesh.....hmmmm *thinks back* wonder if tem's still got that little mini jango fett picture i drew that i ended up giving to him.

22. jango-joe1

Apr 25, 2001
    except for his lovely stupidity near the end

Actually it wasn't his stupidity...When he got rolled by the Reek his rocketpack malfunctioned and he didn't know. So when he was taking on Mace he was right about to take off but he couldn't and then WHAM!!

That is one of my favorite battles in the Prequels so far cause it takes @%$#$ to take on Mace.

23. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Dude, ANYONE is stupid to take on Sam Jackson. ;)

24. jango-joe1

Apr 25, 2001
    Another moment I love is when we saw Breathing up there in Dallas and seeing the Clones march up into the Republic Assult ship which is at the end of the movie, that was just breathtaking.

25. ThreepMe

ThreepMe Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2002
    In TPM, the scene when Maul strikes down Qui-Gon and Obi first blurts out with emotion, then this super-steel-like-resolve crosses his face.

That field holds Obi back...he's getting super pumped...Field drops...Obi-Wan kicks his @ss...

The tension that scene builds as each combatant is held away from each other. Then POW! the second that field drops they are on each other.

I still think TPM has the best lightsabre duels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.