main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Shattered Empire #1 (of 4) [Journey to The Force Awakens]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AusStig, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    I've probably mentioned it elsewhere on the board awhile back, but I always enjoyed how the old EU had Duros as one of the oldest spacefaring species... always made me think they should be nearly as common a sight as humans in the galaxy. Always wanted to see more Duros around, so I was thrilled with the introduction of Cad Bane and now the new guys in Shattered Empire.

2. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Drawings are beautiful! Definitely one of the best from Marvel! The story is starting to get interesting.

It's nice to see Poe's family.. maybe his parents?[face_whistling]

Can't wait for new issues!

3. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Hmm, according to bookdepository the TPB for this comes out in November. How does that work with the 4 issues this is supposed to be?

Also, because I don't this was stated enough really, that art is gorgeous. Just =P~

4. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

If that is an accurate date it wouldn't be the first time you have the final issue of a comic the same day as a collected edition, or have the singles end a week before the collected edition. It's really, really rare, any usually only for things running very late, but with Star Wars and the desire not to have huge gaps or a delay before the movie I can see them just getting it out in time for the holidays and presenting it as a collected edition with the benefit to those who read the singles that they got it starting in September rather than waiting.

5. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    But isn't November too soon for the final issue? 1st was in Sep, 2nd in Oct, 3rd in Nov and shouldn't 4th be Dec? Assuming bookdepository didn't bungle the month of course.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The answer is double-shipping!

2 issues sept, 2 issues Oct.

Darth_Garak likes this.
  7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, I'm really hoping that in the new canon that Duros are still considered one of the oldest species in the galaxy and still a founding member of the Republic. They are such a interesting species in the old EU, especially when you consider they managed to be a Core Founder in an otherwise human dominated early Republic and managed to keep good relations with Corellia and Coruscant during all the various squabbles and issues with Alsakan.

--Adm. Nick

Toonimator likes this.
  8. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I bet that Duros in charge of Green Squadron turns out to be Cad Bane's nephew :p

Chris_Fives, AusStig and DelRiego like this.
  9. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'd rather learn his name is L'ulo Stazi, grandfather of a future New Republic admiral. :D

The EU may be Legends, but somehow we need to get Stazi back. Hell, let's make him an officer in the future Resistance!

--Adm. Nick

10. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    We need a Duros Main character confirmed for Episode VIII-The species is that awesome :D

11. TheyMightBeGeeks

TheyMightBeGeeks Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 23, 2015
    Shattered Empire #4 comes out on Oct. 21 (unless it gets delayed): http://www.theymightbegeeks.com/star-wars-canon-comics-timeline-release-dates/
    The TPB is Nov. 17, not the same day.

12. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I liked the issue, good art, if a bit hard to follow in the battle at first read. The 'Fireworks' was an interesting inclusion. Will be interesting to see how the story goes.

13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Pretty art, story dull and predictable. No content of worth whatsoever, just answering questions that didn't need answers. Dull standard characters. Dull standard battles with predictable outcomes. The dialogue with pretty much zero wit.

This is precisely what I was afraid of regarding the post Endor EU.

Like in the past, when it comes to these stories its mostly like someone poked a balloon and all the tension went out with a big gust of wind.

Jensaarai-defender likes this.
  14. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah sure whatever dude.

15. TheyMightBeGeeks

TheyMightBeGeeks Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 23, 2015
    I agree.

16. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Great start to a fantastic issue. So far this Journey to the Force stuff has been good. All these supporting official canon stories before the grand movie release in Dec. makes the wait harder and harder.

Chris_Fives likes this.
  17. Pearlsaber

Pearlsaber Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    So excited to start seeing a backstory for Poe! I loved going back to the Ewok village to see the immediate celebration after ROTJ.

There was a lot of hype for this issue and Marvel keeps delivering. I am enjoying the comics a lot more than the current novels. I actually enjoyed Aftermath, but the comics are consistently solid.

Chris_Fives likes this.
  18. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    This comic deserves to be ripped to shreds simply because I know Marvel can do so much better.

19. Rou-eru

Rou-eru Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2013
    I enjoyed it. I guess the whole miniseries is just the aftermath of the battle of endor?

Have a feeling Kes is gonna end up dying.

20. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    It'd be ironic after all this it's Shara who ends up dying while trying to save Kes.

"Poe your mother was a hero"

Pearlsaber likes this.
  21. Jensaarai-defender

Jensaarai-defender Jedi Master star 1

Sep 1, 2008
    Shattered Empire is the one piece of Story Group canon that I'm buying, everything else I'll just read the summaries.
    I will also agree with what some other posters have said,Shattered Empire feels like a side story.
    Going forward I doubt that we are going to get a decent picture of what happened in the years affecter RotJ until after the Force Awakens has been released.

Skywalker2B and Chris_Fives like this.
  22. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Would make more sense since he could then more plausibly get his father's name and be more motivated to live up to her pilot status.

23. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I have a feeling both are going to end up dying.

24. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    I wonder if we'll see Poe get born at the end of the series or just find out Shara's pregnant

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    SO basically she's the new IWOD? But it'd be rebel instead of imperial, so RWOD. Except Poe's not exactly a prince or even Force sensitive (probably), so no real destiny to fulfill.

RWOMI: Rebel Womb Of Moderate Importance.