main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Shattered Empire #1 (of 4) [Journey to The Force Awakens]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AusStig, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    OR: Couple get together, shag, end up with a kid and this is supposed to surprise?

2. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Fantastic first issue. Loved all the nods, artwork was stunning and enjoyed it more than what I've read of Aftermath.

Jorus C'Baoth 2882 likes this.
  3. Rou-eru

Rou-eru Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2013
    Heard a lot of bad things about aftermath. Mainly the writing. Bad writing is a deal breaker for me so ill probably skip out on that one.

4. passer-by

passer-by Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2010
    There's an excerpt on Amazon, take a look and see for yourself.
    http://www.amazon.com/Aftermath-Sta...442218531&sr=1-1&keywords=star+wars+aftermath
    The writing style is divisive, to put it mildly, but some people like it, you might be one of them.

5. TheyMightBeGeeks

TheyMightBeGeeks Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 23, 2015
    You'll be glad to know then that on Dec. 18 there will be a currently untitled Poe/Rey/Finn book in the same style as The Weapon of a Jedi, Smuggler's Run, and Moving Target. There are also 2 more replica journals like the Rebel Journal by Ezra Bridger and Sabine's My Rebel Sketchbook but in my opinion they're aimed at even lower age levels and won't contain groundbreaking info.

6. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    Matthaeus Sunrider likes this.
  7. WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014
    Great opening issue. The trio cameos were nice but the new characters seem to have strong personalities. Looking forward to #2.

Matthaeus Sunrider likes this.
  8. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Don't underestimate the Ezra and Sabine journals. There's a ton of neat info in them. If the TFA ones are anything like those, they'll be great. When you're talking about Star Wars, by no means does a product have to be aimed at the adult market for it to be worthwhile and entertaining.

Vthuil and LelalMekha like this.
  9. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    Good thing the artwork is simply amazing bc once again, as with most of these new graphic novel canon materials, the story seems small. I enjoyed the first Star Wars arc, notsomuch this one. I do not care about this new couple and it all seems unimportant. I just hope it improves drastically.

LelalMekha likes this.
  10. TheyMightBeGeeks

Jul 23, 2015
    I meant those as separate points: 1) "aimed at even lower age levels" 2) "won't contain groundbreaking info".

I've flipped through every page of both of them in the book store and they're nothing to pick up unless you're a completist or in the target age demographic. I don't even cover them on my site since they don't contain a story and don't contain enough exclusive info to be considered a worthy reference book either. Saying there's "a ton of neat info" is stretching it.

11. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    I'm glad I don't rely on your site, then. In my opinion the Ezra and Sabine journals are among the best of the new material canon material so far, and I'd hate to have missed them.

So how the heck did we get talking about this in the Shattered Empire thread, anyway?

12. TheyMightBeGeeks

Jul 23, 2015
    Wow. Kind of a jerk comment for a "positive" fan. I'm just trying to provide a central location for adult fans to find info on all past and future canon stories. Exactly what new material was so wonderful in the journals? The first mention of "Mon Cal microplankton"?

13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Well, for one thing, I believe there's the tidbit that Sabine knows what a BDZ is. That might just come up in the future...

14. TheyMightBeGeeks

Jul 23, 2015
    That's mentioned in the show.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    But not described - just "Another planet liberated through the Base Delta Zero initiative" on the news.

16. TheyMightBeGeeks

Jul 23, 2015
    And in Imperial Justice they use this phrase: "One more screw-up and I’m going Base Delta Zero on this unit." They know what this means. The journal isn't giving any new groundbreaking info.

17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    You're missing my point: what's interesting is that Sabine knows what it is.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. TheyMightBeGeeks

Jul 23, 2015
    No I got it. I just don't think that's a big enough revelation to make it worth buying. Especially since other media makes it clear that it's not a huge secret. I can justify YA books and even middle grade books like Servants of the Empire but these journals are for 6-10 year olds. There won't be any groundbreaking info that isn't already somewhere else. These are for marketing, not for advancing the story.

19. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    I suppose if all you're looking for is "advancing the story" or "groundbreaking info," not much. Character development, though? Loads. Both characters, especially Sabine, benefit enormously from the insight into their psyches that we gain. Don't you think a product that reveals things about the characters at least as worthwhile as one that reveals things about the universe?

20. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    So....Shattered Empire.

I thought it was pretty weak, myself. The felt like the very end of one story (Endor) and not even a full epilogue to another (the next day). Almost nothing happened and it felt incohesive to me.

The artwork was cool, for the most part.

DelRiego and Darth_Pevra like this.
  21. TheyMightBeGeeks

Jul 23, 2015
    What insight was there that anyone over 10 years old couldn't infer through what's already on the show? Sabine likes art.

22. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Well. Shattered Empire, then.

How favorably does this compare to Marvel's previous foray into the day after Endor?

[​IMG]

23. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    The original Marvel's were not boring as hell, so I would say pretty badly.

24. Matthaeus Sunrider

Matthaeus Sunrider Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    I'm most looking forward to what our Rebel crew found out about what the Empire is up to after raiding the Endor base at the end.

25. TheyMightBeGeeks

Jul 23, 2015
    "is up to" or "were up to"? I think the plan drastically changed when the Emperor/Vader/DS2 suddenly disappeared. From the title "Shattered Empire" and what's known already it looks like different Imperial groups have different plans for the Empire's future. Some don't even know of what happened at Endor or refuse to believe it.