main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Shattered Empire #2 (of 4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MonkeyHouse143, Aug 26, 2015.

1. MonkeyHouse143

MonkeyHouse143 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2015
  2. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    Based on some of the teasers for Shattered Empire, we know that one of the new characters is a female pilot named Shara Bey. I imagine that's her. Very awesome cover!

3. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    She looks very cool. I'd love for one of these new characters to show up in TFA unexpectedly!

4. Aphra

Aphra Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    Awesome cover and she looks like a classic Star Wars hero. It's that staring into the distance thing. The Skywalkers perfected it. And I'm beyond ready for a Star Wars series with an original female main character.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ...Knight Errant?

:p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

6. Aphra

Aphra Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    Hey, that's a relatively recent pre-reboot book I actually read (though I never read the comics)! :p But it came out in 2011 and I don't think there have been any more since then? And the NEU hasn't had any stories led by an original character (I think???). I would be nearly as giddy about a story with a male OC, since new characters are the bread-and-butter of my involvement with the EU, I just have a personal preference toward female main characters that make this and Aftermath pretty exciting for me.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think in Dark Disciple Ventress is the "lead character" rather than Vos.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I figured you'd be at least familiar with KE. I was being quippy, as we do. I have the trades and the book, but haven't had time to dig into either.

I agree with you about seeing OCs (I loved AotE, though for many reasons) and I'm with you on female main characters, which you could probably count on a single hand.

Actually what makes it cool is that Shattered Empire is an event series so a lot more people will be picking it up, and maybe enjoy having OCs including a female main.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Jedi Ben and Aphra like this.
  9. Aphra

Aphra Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    I dunno, Vos felt like the main character of that book to me. Ventress was super important fo' sho', but I thought Vos was the focus. I also wouldn't class Ventress as an original character anymore, at least not the way I'm thinking of them; maybe when she was first kicking around in the animated Clone Wars series I would have. But Golden didn't invent her and she was a big player in TCW.

I don't have a hard-and-fast rule for what I'm calling "original characters," but "relatively new" and "not in a TV/movie speaking role" are the kinds of main characters I like to see. Like, if someone wrote a Rae Sloane book or comic, I'd be 100% there for that (though Jello would beat me to the front of that line unless I put on my quad skates and hip-checked him out of the way, and I wouldn't do that to him).

I hope so too! A big stable of important new characters is what's been missing for me since the reboot, so I hope this does well and the powers that be have more incentive to expand the universe rather than shrink it.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    A RAE SLOANE book or comic? Oh now you've put the idea in my head and I won't rest until we have it.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Aphra likes this.
  11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    While there's a few "shared spotlight female characters" - single spotlight ones are a bit rarer, even in the oldcanon

Dusque Mistflier in Star Wars Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine, I'd say, is one, and Lanoree Brock in Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void, another.
    If you're prepared to go back a bit, and into junior novels, Tash Arranda in Galaxy of Fear may also qualify.

12. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    Man I wish we'd gotten an Into the Void sequel...

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd say that while the Edge of the Empire series has Zare as the protagonist, there's enough chapters from Merei's point of view to say that she's the second most "spotlighted" character there.

14. Aphra

Aphra Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    It seems all of the Dawn of the Jedi stuff falls squarely in my 2009-2014 Star Wars void, so I missed that one. I'll probably check it out, thanks! I did read Ruins of Dantooine during my high school EU binge, but fancy that, I don't remember a single thing from that book. I'm going to keep it that way.

Galaxy of Fear looks like the kind of thing that would make me laugh a lot now even though it would have scared the crap out of me when it was released (I was a sensitive child). I'm actually surprised I never saw those on the shelves at the library. They had all the Jedi Apprentice and Junior Jedi Knights books. But it might be worth reading just for the nostalgia of the era.

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I enjoyed Ruins - but I have fairly all-embracing tastes when it comes to Star Wars.

In the Medstar Clone Wars duology, it would probably be fair to say that Barriss Offee is the primary character.

For more recent examples, both Death Troopers and Red Harvest have a female character provide the primary viewpoint.

Jedi Knight Fett and Aphra like this.
  16. Aphra

Aphra Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    I'm picky about what I enjoy, but I'll also read anything they publish with STAR WARS on the front (except during the aforementioned void, also known as college). It's a struggle.

I did enjoy the Medstar Duology and Barriss! It made it a little difficult to reconcile that Barriss and TCW Barriss later on, but I forgave them both because I liked them both.

I read Death Troopers and mostly blocked it from my mind because zombies are soooo not my thing and I was ready to cry the whole time, but I remember it being more of an ensemble cast than having any one main character. But, again, fuzzy memory and zombies :p I still liked the large number of new characters, even if Solo and the Wookiee did show up partway through.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Fair enough - while Zahara Cody's POV seemed to dominate the book to me, Trig gets a lot of scenes as well, and might tie with Zahara for "main protagonist".

TOR's Deceived and Fatal Alliance are definitely Ensemble Cast, but Aryn in Deceived, and Ax in Fatal Alliance, are very prominent.

18. Aphra

Aphra Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    How much TOR knowledge does one need to fully enjoy those books? I quit early on when I realized my lady Jedi could only be seduced away from her Jedi vows by a dude and not by a lady.

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd never played the game when I read them - though I had read the TOR encyclopaedia. I figure that in depth knowledge is not needed.

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    That's all I read - the Encyclopaedia and the Wookiee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If you liked the book, you'll like the comics - if you can get them at a good price, do so!

Legacy Vol 2 is also recommended for one reason above all - Ania Solo.

Hopeless, Aphra and Sinrebirth like this.
  22. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Ooh, nice to see an A-wing in the background. Is that her ship? Still not entirely sure whether I'll be picking up this series, but that is a nice cover, and good to see more characters on the cover rather than just OT characters.

23. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Having read all of Knight Errant both book and comic, I agree wholeheartedly. The series really doesn't have an "end", but reading the comics will certainly give certain elements of Kerra's story more closure than the novel on its own.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Galaxy of Fear!!! So many fond memories of those insane things. I want to reread them.

They had a Thrawn cameo. He was like a captain for some reason. It was fun.

25. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Jedi-Ben= How I miss the Legacy Vol. 2 series, especially all those sith fighting in the end.

Jedi Ben likes this.