main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Shattered Remembrance (L/M, H/L, drama, angst) - Thank You!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi-2B, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Scribe

Jedi_Scribe Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2007
    That was awful. [face_worried]

Er, I mean Luke's condition, not your writing ;)

I feel bad for him of course, but as I have become used to the idea the strangest image keeps coming to mind: Have you ever seen the movie "Men in Black"? I keep imagining the part just before the end when Tommy Lee Jones is telling Will Smith how the memories he is about to lose to the nueralizer are "One of a hundred memories that he doesn't want."

Luke has lived through a lot of traumatic experiences in his time that he probably would rather forget, and as terrible as it is to lose his identity like this I wonder if he might still benefit somehow in the long run.
    Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but perhaps this is a chance for him to purge some of his demons and re-learn the important lessons of his past through his family & friends without remembering so much pain. I can't decide if that's lame or not, but since it's the only positive thing I can come up with right now, so be it.

As tough as this is for him, anybody who has ever stood by a hospital bed and powerlessly observed a loved one's suffering can appreciate the position the rest of the characters are in. The worst part is that it sounds like once the physical injuries fade it could still be a long time before any substantial mental recovery takes place, if ever. In many ways, the amnesia is like living with a terminal illness for which there is no cure. That really sucks.

Then you have the problem that Leia pointed out: if the forces of chaos in the galaxy get wind of this, Luke would be very vulnerable to potential acts of retribution. Not good.

And then there's Mara. This may the first time it has ever occurred to me, but I think she could really use a hug. I hope she can hang in there, for the both of them.

2. walker_of_minds

walker_of_minds Jedi Master star 1

Dec 19, 2006
    oh so sad look forward to more and hopefully a speedy recovery, hopefully he remembers the important people and impressions soon.

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Wow!!! Everyone is so in character even though the situation has thrown them totally off whack. Han's blunt questions, Leia's quick mind, even through her grief and worry, about the results of the nature of Luke's condition getting out. PT's reply: [face_laugh] [face_laugh] I needed that laugh. :) I also agree that some of the things Luke forgot are better forgotten, or if remembered eventually, without the accompanying guilt and sadness that went with them before. Amnesia as a terminal illness-- that's a good parallel. You hope for the best and prepare for the worst. :( Here's that Wookiee huggles for Mara!! [:D]

4. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Poor Luke, hopefully he will get his memory back from the evil authoress!!

:p

How is Mara going to handle this 'new' Luke???

[face_worried]

5. Master_M_Sky

Master_M_Sky Jedi Master star 1

Aug 3, 2006
    Wow! Poor Lukie! :_|

Mara is not going to be a happy camper.

Why did he keep calling me 'kid'? That, for some reason, made me very sad. :_| All those years of camradarie and friendship and he doesn't remember a thing!

LOL, I know what you mean about the medical stuff! I do tons of research for all that. [face_whistling]

Wonderful chapter! I'm very eager to see what they're all going to do to help him remember.

6. smiley_rancor

smiley_rancor Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 18, 2006
    Loved how everyone is still in character in such a bizarre situation. I wonder how Mara is going to approach Luke the first time they meet after all this?

Can't wait for the next post.

s_r

7. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    This is clasical. :)

But angsty as hell.:_|

And I'm hooked.=D=

Do you have a PM list for updates?

A support group?

At least for Mara? [face_beatup]

8. mara_jade_rox

mara_jade_rox Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2007
    Would it make any sense at all if I said I both hated, loved, laughed, and cried over that post all at one time? Probably not. Poor Mara, she has to sit there and watch as her fiance doesnt remember a thing about, well, anything. I hope that Luke recovers with his memory.

Maybe it will all come back when he sees Mara. Like love at first sight, well second sight since he has already seen her.

9. Klimt_Of_Tornesdal

Klimt_Of_Tornesdal Jedi Master star 3

Dec 8, 1999
    Doctor Panio nodded in understanding. "Simply put, the brain damage has caused Master Skywalker to lose his memory of events prior to the accident. In most cases, victims only forget the accident itself. However, in a few cases, such as Master Skywalker's, all memory is lost."

"Yeah, well, Luke always has defied the odds," Han said glumly.

At least Han hasn't changed too much [face_laugh]

She cast a calculating eye toward Talon. "I know your skills at retrieving information, Captain Karrde. How are you at hiding it?"

Karrde smiled wanly. "I'll put all my resources to work to ensure that no one learns of Master Skywalker's amnesia."

"Thank you." Leia looked at Mara. "I appreciate everything both of you have done to help us."

Yeah, but apparently not enough to realise Mara has been hurting as much as anyone else, if not more. :mad: Kriffing princesses.

"It's the least we can do," Karrde said. "Luke came to my assistance in rescuing Mara. I can never do enough to repay him for that."

Mara remained silent, simply nodding her head in agreement. Karrde wondered if she would ever reveal exactly what that rescue entailed.

Two words, girlfriend - TELL HIM! Someone needs to help you through. [face_coffee] [:D]

Han could tell that Leia wanted to hug Luke, kiss him on the cheek as she'd done so many times before, but she held back. It wasn't until they were out in the hallway that the tears rolled down her cheeks and she buried her face in Han's consoling embrace.

As they stood just outside the door, Han overheard Luke ask the doctor, "Why did he keep calling me 'kid'?"

Ouch. [face_worried] :_| That's gotta hurt.

10. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    I like how you depict the amnesia. I know zilch about medicine as well, but it sounds great!

11. TenelKaSolo

TenelKaSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2004
    Great story! I pretty much knew what was going to happen, and I thought, if that's what it is I'm not reading anymore. But now I'm hooked! Interested in reading the next mara section.

Please add me to your PM list if you have one!

12. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    Oooooohh yessss! A new update!!! Anyways, no your medical terms were just fine, we can't all be experts at medicine, and I think you did it just fine. Anyways, it is KILLING me to see Mara not telling anyone about her engagement!!!! :_| I mean, gosh, she can't keep it a secret forever!!!!! [face_worried]:_| Nice job, and I really want there to be a happy ending.... thanks for the PM. Keep up the good writing! :)

The saddest line:

As they stood just outside the door, Han overheard Luke ask the doctor, "Why did he keep calling me 'kid'?"

:_|

13. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    "Yeah, well, Luke always has defied the odds," Han said glumly.

Never tell Han the odds!

"But he's a Jedi Master," Leia persisted. "There must be a way that the Force can help to heal him. Surely Cilghal can do something."

That's what I was thinking... or at least hoping. Cilghal has worked wonders before [face_worried]

"Perhaps Luke was," Panio stated. "Captain, the sooner you accept that your brother-in-law is no longer the same person, the sooner he can begin to learn to accept you, his family." The medic's compassionate gaze encompassed Leia and Han both.

Wow, Luke could be a totally different person now :(

"No, of course not," the doctor assured her. "I was including myself when I discussed releasing information to him gradually. As far as he knows right now, he lost his hand in an accident many years ago. He didn't ask yet about the nature of the accident, and I prefer those types of revelations to come from his family."

That is going to be a heck of a conversation :p "Yeah, your dad cut off your hand... but don't take it to personally, he was one of the worst butchers of all time who helped wipe out the Jedi Knights."

Karrde smiled wanly. "I'll put all my resources to work to ensure that no one learns of Master Skywalker's amnesia."

Karrde rocks :D

"I understand." Luke glanced at the doctor before looking back at her. "The doctor explained how an accident affected my memory."
    "It's good to see ya awake, kid," Han spoke up, pulling up a plasteel chair. "Thought you were just tryin' to ignore us, sleeping away the days."
    Luke's wary gaze shifted to his brother-in-law. "The doctor said I was in a coma."

Well, his sense of humor is still intact :p

The doctor motioned Han and Leia toward the door. Han could tell that Leia wanted to hug Luke, kiss him on the cheek as she'd done so many times before, but she held back. It wasn't until they were out in the hallway that the tears rolled down her cheeks and she buried her face in Han's consoling embrace.

LOL, I was hoping he would ask something about that :D But this is really sad :(

Another good post, Jedi-2B. Really liked Han in this one, trying in vain to be cheery and cracking jokes. I wonder how Mara is going to take all of this [face_worried]

Looking forward to more :)

14. GeithJiseo2

GeithJiseo2 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 21, 2004
    That was great. Lots of emotion in that post.

15. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    It will take time for the family to adjust to the new Luke. Good points made by a few of the readers about some of what Luke can't remember is a good thing. He's had a tough life.

The beta is in the same boat about medicine - I haven't a clue most of the time.

16. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    [face_devil]

ginchy sneaks ever so quietly into Luke's hospital room. (Never mind how she got there...) In the bed, Luke stirs, eyes opening to face the new figure in the room.

"Do I know you?" he asks.

ginchy smiles tenderly. "Don't you remember me, Luke?"

"Uh..." He looks adorably clueless.

"Let me remind you..." ginchy grins, and moves forward, somehow forgetting about the ex-assassin hiding somewhere just outside the room....

[face_beatup] :eek: [face_blush] [face_beatup] :_|

[face_laugh]

Loving the updates for this one, gal. My little ^^ came from me wondering how the holopress might try and sneak into the room. [face_laugh] Well, that and that I wouldn't mind sneaking in there, too... ;) [face_laugh]

I just keep wondering how it will all play out. Can't wait for more! :D

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Who could forget ginchy? :) :) Perfect one to help Luke remembr Mara in a mushy lovey type fashion. :* [face_love]

18. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Excellent update! Having watched a family member struggle with the aftermath of a severe brain injury, this really struck home. You've captured the fears and anger of the sitatuion perfectly!

Doctor Panio rose and circled around to the front of his desk. "The most important thing is for all of you to be patient. Try to understand his point of view - to him, all of you are strangers." The doctor leaned back against his desktop. "In fact, I recommend that he be introduced to new people ¯ new to him, that is - very gradually. You and Captain Solo should talk to him first, of course, Councilor. When you do, take care not to overwhelm Master Skywalker with too much information at once."

"And just what are we allowed to tell him?" Han snapped.

"When he asks questions, answer him truthfully, but carefully. You'll need to earn his trust."

Han snorted. "That won't be hard. Luke is the most trusting person in the galaxy."

"Perhaps Luke was," Panio stated. "Captain, the sooner you accept that your brother-in-law is no longer the same person, the sooner he can begin to learn to accept you, his family." The medic's compassionate gaze encompassed Leia and Han both.

"So, just how much does he know? Are we going to have to teach him how to eat? How to dress himself?"

Talon couldn't help but notice the anguish that filled Mara's face at Han's harsh questions.

The doctor shook his head. "Master Skywalker does retain basic skills. He knows he's in a medcenter, but not that he'd been here before. He would recognize what a speeder is, but he wouldn't remember the names of the various models. He wouldn't remember his favorite foods, but most likely he would acquire the same likes and dislikes over time."

"Does he ? does he remember anything from the time he was in the coma?" Mara spoke up.

"No, I'm sorry." Doctor Panio looked genuinely sympathetic. "He said the earliest thing he can remember is waking up and seeing a dark-haired woman standing near the window this morning." He glanced at Leia, smiling sadly.

Amazing! =D=

19. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    ACK! Poor Luke. Well, maybe 'poor everyone else' would be more accurate since Luke doesn't remember what he lost and they do. [face_worried]

(And I think you did fine with the medical stuff. ;))

20. Jedi_Scribe

Jedi_Scribe Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2007
    ROFL. Sorry, but that me me LOL.

I'll tell ya' what else though, it seems to me that there is great potential for some type of twisted self-realization challenge somewhere in there...[face_thinking]

21. JEDIFLYSWATTER

JEDIFLYSWATTER Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2004
    Very good job!=D= That whiplash motiion that the brain takes is called a contra cu. Very nasty. Ususally more damage is done in the second smack than the first. The brain and the heart are the only organs in our body that do not regenerate every few years. That is why the damage is so terrible. It would be intersecting to see if Luke can still write and do things like that. He can speak but can he read and use a knife and fork? You did yourself proud. Like the tearing of the nerves.:) Super job and thanks. My PM still stands. @};-

22. Angelmine_29

Angelmine_29 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 29, 2004
    Another great update! It'll be interesting to see Luke's reaction when he goes home to his apartment. Loved him asking why Han kept calling him 'kid'! ;)

How soon until the next chapter? You have me anxious for the next update!

23. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    And so the road to recovery begins. I want to know how Mara finagles her way into stay near him without it looking odd to anyone. :p

Loved the bit about Han calling him "kid" at the end! :D It's nice to have some comic relief interspersed with the trauma going around.

24. cupid7

cupid7 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 10, 2004
    ?He wouldn't remember his favorite foods, but most likely he would acquire the same likes and dislikes over time."

What about his taste in women? If a fabulous redhead threw herself at him, would he be smitten instantly and irrevocably?

*Wonders about ginchy's hair color*

A tabula rasa... How will Mara write on this blank slate?

25. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Once more, a great big THANK YOU!! to one and all!! I haven't had this much response to a story in ages. :D

Darth_Marrs: I especially liked that last line!! -- That last line invoked more comments than anything, ranging from hilarious to terribly sad.

PHGS_Weyr: oh poor mara, don't worry Jedi-2B will sort it all out evetually -- So sure, are you? I haven't written an ending yet. ;)

Blue_Milkshake: Oh, thank you soooo much for ending that heart-breaking chapter with a chuckle! -- You're welcome. :D

PonyTricks: The doctor should say to Luke, "Because you're only 12 years old. Didn't you know that?" -- I think the first thing I'd want is a mirror. On second thought, I could just imagine myself beautiful, and never look in a mirror to contradict that assumption. :p

Jedi_Scribe:
    That was awful.

Er, I mean Luke's condition, not your writing
    -- Glad you clarified that! LOL!

Have you ever seen the movie "Men in Black"? I keep imagining the part just before the end when Tommy Lee Jones is telling Will Smith how the memories he is about to lose to the nueralizer are "One of a hundred memories that he doesn't want." -- Yes, I remember watching that. I'm trying to stick in as much introspection on Luke's part (and others') as I can regarding that very idea.

And then there's Mara. This may the first time it has ever occurred to me, but I think she could really use a hug. I hope she can hang in there, for the both of them. -- Mara's a really strong person. If anyone can deal with this, it's her.

walker_of_minds: oh so sad look forward to more and hopefully a speedy recovery, hopefully he remembers the important people and impressions soon. -- It won't be too soon. Cause then the story would be over. ;)

Jade_eyes: You hope for the best and prepare for the worst. -- Exactly. Hopefully Doc Panio is getting that point across to them all.

RedGold: Poor Luke, hopefully he will get his memory back from the evil authoress!! -- Shhh. [face_shhh] I'm holding it ransom. [face_devil]

How is Mara going to handle this 'new' Luke??? -- With the same steely determination that she handles everything else.

Master_M_Sky: LOL, I know what you mean about the medical stuff! I do tons of research for all that. -- I did indeed look up some amnesia articles on the web.

Wonderful chapter! I'm very eager to see what they're all going to do to help him remember. -- Of course everyone will have their own opinion on what's best for him.

smiley_rancor: I wonder how Mara is going to approach Luke the first time they meet after all this? -- She'll just bowl him over with shock. :eek:

Golden_Jedi: This is clasical.

But angsty as hell.

And I'm hooked.
    -- Can we ever have too many amnesia fics? Well, probably. :p

Do you have a PM list for updates? -- got you added

A support group?

At least for Mara?
    -- You mean Secret-fiancées-of-amnesia-victims Anonymous? She could be a charter member.

mara_jade_rox: Would it make any sense at all if I said I both hated, loved, laughed, and cried over that post all at one time? -- I always aim for well-rounded posts.

Maybe it will all come back when he sees Mara. Like love at first sight, well second sight since he has already seen her. -- Remember that he had a crush on Leia when he first saw her, too. And thankfully that impulse didn't repeat itself.

Klimt_Of_Tornesdal: At least Han hasn't changed too much -- Honestly, in how many fics do authors dare mess with Han's personality? Can't improve perfection.

Yeah, but apparently not enough to realise Mara has been hurting as much as anyone else, if not more. Krif

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.