main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~*~Shattered Waters~*~ 'But I Do' sequel- IMPORTANT NOTE April 10th

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by obi-wannabe_1138, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi-wannabe_1138

obi-wannabe_1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2002
    OK guys, consider yourselves lucky: My humor fics are not doing well and I crave attention. Therefore I am starting this fic 2-3 weeks ahead of schedule. I have not completed it yet and am still in way over my head with other stories, so posts may not be too frequent currently. However I am on page 38 of it so we don't have to panic yet. :D

Now to the post! I make no money from this fic, nor do I own Star Wars. (No, really?) Also the poem used in the beginning is by my beloved Robert Frost [face_love] and I have no permission to use it- the weejee (sp?) board was down. ;)
    BTW I know I say "Obi-torture," which it is, but don't worry, I promise this will be a model, a poster child (poster fic?) for PG 13, non graphic torture. ;)

Shattered Waters

Prologue

The shattered waters made a misty din,
    Great waves looked over others coming in,
    And thought of doing something to the shore
    That water never did to land before.
    The clouds were low and hairy in the skies
    Like locks blown forward in the gleam of eyes.
    You could not tell, and yet it looked as if
    The shore were lucky in being backed by cliff,
    The cliff in being backed by continent.
    It looked as if a night of dark intent
    Were coming, and not only a night, an age.
    Someone had better be prepared for rage.
    There would be more than ocean water broken
    Before G-d's last 'put out the light' was spoken.'

Chapter I

Qui-Gon Jinn stood on the bridge of the transport ship the Aquamarine. He watched his Padawan, Obi-Wan Kenobi, continuously take off by himself- to think, the boy said. He?d done this ever since the two Jedi had left Coruscant. Obi-Wan insisted he was perfectly all right. But it wasn?t hard for Qui-Gon to see that his Apprentice was truly suffering.

This is my fault, the Jedi Master knew. It was by his hand that Obi-Wan could have no peace. He?d been too hard on the young man, and now that the damage was done, it was almost impossible to undo. As it was, the Padawan was on antidepressants and various other drugs. Qui-Gon tried to be very supportive of his Apprentice, but he found he?d lost Obi-Wan?s trust. He didn?t blame the boy, nor did he know what to do.

One thing Qui-Gon was certain of. Obi-Wan was not yet ready, emotionally, to be on this mission. He?d pleaded with the Jedi Council not to send him, but the Masters had been adamant. After considering it, Jinn had decided that it would be better to bring Obi-Wan along rather than leave him behind.

?Padawan?? Qui-Gon asked gently, approaching Obi-Wan. The teenager turned.

?What is it, Master??

?Obi-Wan, are you all right??

?Yes.?

No, my son, you know that?s not true. Please, tell me what?s wrong, because I only want you to be okay

?Are you sure?? he said, putting a hand on the boy?s shoulder. Obi-Wan looked away, debating whether or not he should say anything. The past year had been absolutely horrible for him. At one point he?d even attempted to kill himself. Qui-Gon had stopped him, of course, and insisted that he seek treatment for depression. The elder man had even gone so far as to reassure Obi-Wan and say that he cared for him. The youth was still doubtful, however. He stared at Qui-Gon?s hand, which was resting on his shoulder.

He does care about me, he thought, then recalled the harsh words and the lack of trust coming from his Master.

No. Probably not. But he probably doesn?t quite want me to die, either.

So then he just pities me.

?Obi-Wan? What is it??

?Nothing, Master,? the Apprentice said, turning away. As he did so, he sensed Qui-Gon?s sadness. He looked back at the older man?s eyes. There was genuine concern there.

?I... I?m feeling a bit down, Master.?

?Go on. Tell me, Obi-Wan. Tell me, please.?

?I?m just.... anxious about the mission.?

It was exactly as Qui-Gon had thought. His

2. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Wonderful start! I love the emotions and interaction between them.

Looking forward to more. :D

3. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    This is a wonderful start. The emotions are vivid, and I adore the interaction. Poor Obi-Wan is very depressed and sad... I only hope Qui can make him feel better soon. I love the beginning of your fic, and I sense it will turn out really good. Update whenever you can... although sooner would be better! ;):D

4. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Great start! I would say that I hope things turn out all right, but it's too early for me to think about that

MORE!

5. astroanna

astroanna Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    Nice start, obi-wannabe!

:)

I really enjoyed the interaction between Obi and Qui and I look forward to more!

BTW, does it seem like there's a certain icon that's....well....popular in this thread so far?

8-}

6. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Wow, obi-wannabe. That was very well-written, I think this may be your best story yet! ;)

I love the relationship you have displayed between Obi-Wan and his Master here. It seems very fitting. :D

There's only one problem I found:

I NEED MORE NOW!!!

7. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Here's an up for ya. ;)

8. Wild_Huntress

Wild_Huntress Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Cascadia: Thank you. I love writing Obi and Qui interaction- sound familiar? ;)
    Jess: Yup, Obi is very deppressed now. :( Unfortunately things get worse before they get better- [face_devil] - but by the end of the series I promise things'll be OK. Maybe. [face_devil]
    Arwen: It is a bit early. Obi-Wan has his ups and downs, as you will see in the next post. Man I feel almost guilty about what I do to him. 8-}
    Astro: Thanks. I like the interaction myself, in the beginning of this fic. And yes that Obi and Qui icon isn't exactly lacking in popularity 8-} Which is exactly why I'm not using it- yet.
    LE: Thanks. I love the relationship you have displayed between Obi-Wan and his Master here. It seems very fitting. Fitting of what- the fact that this is the sequel to But I Do, and this seems like the logical place they left off? :confused: Thanks for upping! You know that's the only reason I'm posting now. ;)

?Master??

Qui-Gon looked up.

?Obi-Wan. How are you feeling??

?Better, thanks.? It was true. Obi-Wan seemed stronger and his eyes looked less haunted.

?Do you want to go spar now?? Qui-Gon asked, setting down his datapad. The Padawan hesitated a brief moment.

?Yes, but first I wanted to ask you about the world we?re going to.? A small flash of doubt came over Obi-Wan. He knew he ought to have paid more attention at the mission briefing. ?Forgive me for not listening better, Master.?

?Don?t apologize.? How could Qui-Gon possibly blame his Apprentice for a little thing like that, especially in this condition?

?Well- What is going on, on-? He fumbled for the name.

?Malkotiah.?

Obi-Wan looked ashamed of himself. Qui-Gon shook his head.

?It?s okay, Padawan. I?m not angry with you for forgetting. You?ve had other things on your mind.?

?Thank you, Master... I think.?

?Then you?re welcome,? the Jedi Master said before reverting back to being very serious. ?The situation on Malkotiah is very precarious, Obi-Wan. For years, the town people and the rural people have been involved in a bloody civil war. They refused to come to the Jedi, or any other neutral party, for aid. Now, however, breakaway members of both groups have been threatening the people of Malkotiah. With violence. And not only against one another. They?ve taken to burning the cities and killing innocent civilians. The last attack- last month- was the worst of all.? Qui-Gon stopped. Hee wanted to spare his Padawan the horrifying details of the attack. Obi-Wan had heard enough for now. The boy sensed this, and changed the subject.

?What is your plan, Master??

?When we arrive, I intend to speak with representatives of all three groups. I?m very glad you?ll be there to help me, Obi-Wan.?

?If you say so.?

?Really, Padawan. You?re needed and valued a lot more than you think.?

Hearing these words brought so much comfort to Obi-Wan. He felt even more at ease than he had before. Perhaps, Qui-Gon did love him after all.

?Come, Padawan. Let?s go spar.?

The Apprentice smiled and reached for his lightsaber. He had looked forward to the opportunity to practice sparring. It was a relief from the boredom of the trip, which had in turn led him to brooding too much. He cleared his mind and followed Qui-Gon towards the spare chamber at the back of the ship which they used for lightsaber practice.

Despite the hardships he?d been through, Obi-Wan had lost none of the skill with the ?saber. He fought defensively, parrying each of Qui-Gon?s attacks. The Jedi Master was impressed. He noticed that Obi-Wan was employing a difficult kata for his age.

?Padawan,? he said, proudly, ?you?re doing remarkably well. Where did you learn that technique??

The teenager paused and wiped the sweat off his forehead with the back of his hand.

?Master Kay?Lin, my ?saber instructor, said he felt I was ready for this. He?s been spending extra time teaching me after class.?

?For how long??

?About two months.?

?And al

9. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Nov 20, 2002
    [face_shocked] Wow.
    That was really good! I loved the emotions being played here. Poor Obi...
    Great post. Qui is in danger! Uh oh
    That can only mean danger for Obi as well :D TORTURE lol

10. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    This vision doesn't sound good. [face_shocked] But, I'm not complaining. ;)

Love the way Qui-Gon is so conscious of Obi-Wan's feelings. He seems to be handling Obi's problems well.

Post more soon! :D

11. Wild_Huntress

Jul 15, 2002
    Late night up before I go to bed. :)

12. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    Man, not good at all!!

Now I'm getting scared for the boys, which is good

UP!

13. Wild_Huntress

Jul 15, 2002
    Upping from my school computer class.

14. Wild_Huntress

Jul 15, 2002
    Jess Wow.
    That was really good!
    Thank you! [face_blush] I loved the emotions being played here. Poor Obi...
    Great post. Qui is in danger! Uh oh
    That can only mean danger for Obi as well TORTURE lol
    Well what else would I have in mind for the poor kid? [face_devil] But don't worry, by the end of this series, I promise, he will get a lovely, mushy little break to make up for it. ;)
    Cascadia
    This vision doesn't sound good. But, I'm not complaining.
    Nope. :D Glad you liked the vision part. Love the way Qui-Gon is so conscious of Obi-Wan's feelings. He seems to be handling Obi's problems well. Hmmm... Not too well, I hope, cuz I want there to still be some tension in their relationship. Post more soon! Next post coming.... Well I'll try tonight or tomorrow depending on my mood.
    Arwen Now I'm getting scared for the boys, which is good Lol! :D

15. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Thanks for alerting me to the new post. I don't know how I missed it. :confused:

After all, it's one I really look forward to reading. ;)

I wonder what danger Qui-Gon is in. Yuck, the sound of metal scraping creeps me out! :(

Great post, obi-wannabe, and your writing style is terrific. :D

16. obi-wannabe_1138

Jul 31, 2002
    LE:
    Thanks for alerting me to the new post. I don't know how I missed it.
    Yeah well I need to beg for every reader I can get so no problem. After all, it's one I really look forward to reading. Thank you! [face_blush] I wonder what danger Qui-Gon is in. Yuck, the sound of metal scraping creeps me out! That sound will be explained in the next chap. ;) Great post, obi-wannabe, and your writing style is terrific. Thanks!

?Master??

?What is it, Obi-Wan?? Qui-Gon asked, setting down his datapad. Tired as he was, he gazed warmly at the boy standing in the doorway. ?Do you feel ready to tell me what you saw before??

The Padawan bowed his head and entered the room.

?I didn?t really see anything very clearly, but I sensed something horrible. Be careful.?

Over the course of his lifetime, Qui-Gon had learned that visions were not always to be trusted. Most of the time their warnings had never helped him. He?d seen that it was usually better to keep one?s mind in the here and now. Obi-Wan, however, was naturally more attuned to the Unifying Force. The older Jedi did not know how much of the youth?s vision was a true glimpse of one possible future, or how much of it was colored by his current feelings.

?It?s all right, Padawan. I?m certain nothing of such magnitude will happen.?

The words were out of his mouth before Qui-Gon realized that they were far more patronizing than reassuring. It sounded as if he didn?t care what the younger man had to say. He saw the sadness and betrayal in Obi-Wan?s eyes.

?No, Obi-Wan, I didn?t mean it in that way. I?m sorry. It was absolutely right of you to warn me, and I?m grateful. I?m just so tired.?

?Then forgive me for keeping you awake, Master.?

?Obi-Wan-?

The boy glanced bitterly over his shoulder and paused on his way out.

?Don?t go, Padawan.? How could he explain that he hadn?t meant to hurt his Apprentice, that he?d acted stupidly and without sensitivity? ?I?m sorry. You haven?t done anything wrong. I didn?t mean to say it like that.?

Obi-Wan hesitated.

?You know, Master,? he said finally, ?it?s very hard for me to trust you and be confident if you keep blowing me off like this. I?m sorry if I?m asking too much of you.?

?You?re not.? Qui-Gon wished he could just take his Padawan in his arms, and hug and cuddle him and make everything be all right. But it was too late for that, too late to restore the trust that they?d so briefly shared. He wondered if Obi-Wan would not be better off with another Master. He?d just begun to realize the depth of the bond a Master and Apprentice shared. To Obi-Wan, Jinn was the whole universe. With his previous Padawans, things had been very different. His first Apprentice had already been quite old when Qui-Gon took over her training. He himself had been much younger. Their relationship had been purely teacher and student. Xanatos, of course, had always wanted to do things his own way. Frequently, he?d shut his Master out, even before his final betrayal. Obi-Wan, however, was completely different.

?I?m sorry, Obi-Wan.? To love and trust, Qui-Gon knew, had its cost. It was a problem he?d had to deal with himself before accepting Obi-Wan as his Padawan. Now he was starting to see that what he was doing to the boy was much worse than anything Obi-Wan could possibly have done to him. Qui-Gon touched his Apprentice?s shoulder affectionately.

?It?s all right, Master.?

?Do you forgive me??

?Yes.?

?I do appreciate your warning, Obi-Wan. Be careful yourself, my boy. The situation on Malkotiah is very dangerous.?

?Yes, Master- I will be careful.?

?Good. I wouldn?t want you to get hurt.?

?I wouldn?t want that either. I mean- I, I wouldn?t want anything to happen to you-?

?Either way, you?re right, Obi-Wan. I wouldn?t want anything to happen to either of us. The healers are starting to give us strange looks whenever one of us walks into the ward.?

?We do seem to spend an awful lot of time th

17. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    There's definitely still some tension between them. Qui-Gon's choice to not look to the future often collides with Obi-Wan's focusing on it. I liked the dialogue exchange. And I have a feeling that Obi-Wan's warning won't help prevent anything bad from happening.

Please post more soon! :D

18. astroanna

astroanna Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    Good post, obi-wannabe!

Hopefully Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon will be able to heal their rift before they go on their mission...

More, please!

:D

19. Wild_Huntress

Jul 15, 2002
  20. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Nov 20, 2002
    ?Yes- Thanks, Master. Thank you for helping me.?

?Well, what else am I here for, my dear boy??

?Thank you just the same,? Obi-Wan said with a shrug. ?Do you- love me, Master??

Qui-Gon?s expression softened. He put an arm around the teenager?s shoulder.

?Of course, my Padawan.?

Awwwwww, how cute! :) I really loved that post, and how careful Qui-Gon was with Obi. Poor kid. I liked the interaction as always, it was very good. That was a nice light-hearted little post, but thats what worries me. I've found that in some of your fics, you make a sweet little happy post, then something happens- Obi.Torture.

Uh oh. :D

21. Wild_Huntress

Jul 15, 2002
    Up, replies and post when I have a chance. :)

22. female_obi_wan

female_obi_wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    ...I should really,really have posted here before. [face_blush] Too used to lurkerdom,I suppose. :)

I really want to see where this is going!

23. obi-wannabe_1138

Jul 31, 2002

Chapter II

Qui-Gon was awakened suddenly in the middle of the night by a loud bang. There was danger there. He could feel the whisper of some unnamed threat in the air. He sat bolt upright in bed, and reached for his lightsaber. Closing his eyes, the Jedi quickly checked on Obi-Wan through their bond. The boy was still asleep. It was just as well, Qui-Gon thought, as he stood up and made his way towards the cockpit.

Sirens wailed. Somehow, despite the chaos, he reached the pilot.

?Captain,? Qui-Gon asked, ?what is it??

?We?ve been shot at,? the captain replied, shocked.

?What- Why??

?I don?t know, Master Jinn. We tried to contact the controller from the main spaceport and as it turned out- there was no spaceport.?

?How can this be? Are we...?

?I don?t know. I was every bit as surprised. After that two cruisers appeared and opened fire on us.?

?Where are they now??

?One jumped to hyperspace, I think. The other- I don?t know where it went.?

Then a large silver shape appeared on the near side of the planet. It approached steadily. The shape vaguely resembled a war cruiser, but it was of no type Qui-Gon had seen before that he could recall.

?I think there?s your missing cruiser,? he remarked dryly, without amusement. Now he was certain of it- the ship?s design was completely foreign, and it bore no recognizable markings. It was not a pirate cruiser, and anyway pirates would not attack so close to a civilised world.

?See if they?ll at least answer you.?

The captain obeyed, relieved to have someone else tell him what to do in this situation. The image of a human man dressed in a black uniform appeared on the viewscreen.

?Why are you attacking us? This is the Republic transport Aquamarine with the Jedi you requested-? The pilot was cut off promptly.

?We requested no Jedi presence,? came the curt reply.

?That?s not what I was told,? Qui-Gon said, stepping forward. The black clad man?s eyes flicked over him coldly.

?Then you were told wrong. I suggest you get out of our space before we are forced to shoot you down.?

?May I at least speak to the commander who gave you these orders??

?No. I don?t care if you are a Jedi. Our business here is our own. Intruders will be dealt with accordingly.?

The image snapped off abruptly. Qui-Gon observed Obi-Wan standing in the corner.

// Master, what is it?//

// We?ve run into a bit of trouble, Obi-Wan.//

The Jedi noted that his Padawan shivered once, then stopped himself and looked up with a resolute expression. Perhaps he?d only trembled because the ship was rather chilly. After, Obi-Wan was dressed only in loose-fitting sleep pants and a short sleeved shirt.

?Master Jinn- What should we do??

The pilot sounded increasingly anxious.

?Leave,? Qui-Gon answered. ?We can contact the Governor after.?

?Yes, sir.?

The captain bent over the control. His face fell.

?Sir- I can?t leave. We?re caught in a tractor beam.?

?Where?s it coming from?? Obi-Wan wondered aloud.

?That cruiser. Damn!?

?Padawan- Go get your lightsaber and your robe. Come back right after.?

?Yes, Master.?

?Captain- Contact the cruiser again. There must be some mistake.?

Then the large ship fired. The Aquamarine had no time to raise its meagre shields. The craft lurched violently. The cruiser fired again, catching the Aquamarine?s hull and sending it crashing further down towards the planet below.

?I don?t believe this,? the pilot muttered, struggling to save his ship.

?Concentrate power to our shields..?

?Sorry to disappoint, Master Jinn, but our shields are gone.?

?Then try-?

A blast knocked the ship?s main power core. The distinctive hiss of flame told Qui-Gon that a fire had already broken out somewhere on the small ship.

// Obi-Wan?// the Jedi Master asked.

// I?m coming, Master.//

Qui-Gon nodded absently and looked for a way to quell the fire. He hurried towards the emergency kit at the side of the

24. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    Exciting! They really didn't have a chance to get away.

More soon, please. :)

25. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    Whoa, intense.

More soon!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.