main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends She Sang (L/M viggie; a gift/surprise for Gabri_Jade)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Gabri_Jade_Wannabe, Dec 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabri_Jade_Wannabe

Gabri_Jade_Wannabe Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2003
    Hehe. :p This is obaona. Gabri knows who I am. ;) She is also long suffering of my methods of amusing myself and torturing her. [face_mischief]

Thanks for clicking, btw. :p

Title: She Sang
    A/N: Like the title thread says, written for Gabri_Jade as a little surprise/gift. She's already seen it - I PM'ed it to her earlier today, and she said I should post it despite it's shortness (though I think she meant under my obaona username). Not beta'ed, but I went over it a few times. :) It is set sometime during the NJO.

Feedback is, as always and ever, treasured. :p

*~*~*

Luke had never realized Mara was not a particularly talented singer.

He hadn?t really thought of it, but he supposed it wasn?t surprising ? Mara couldn?t be good at everything. Just a lot of things, he thought with a smile, watching his wife. She couldn?t see him from where he was ? he was leaning against the doorframe, probably hardly more than a figure dressed in black from any direction, and not even really in the room, just at the entrance. She was sitting on their couch holding Ben. Of course, she was facing the doorway partially ? this was Mara Jade, after all. She held Ben in one arm, the other playing with one of his small hands as she leaned over him. Luke didn?t fail to note the small blaster hidden in her sleeve, and thought he?d have to watch himself when he alerted her to his presence. Normally, she would have sensed him; in fact, had he been anyone else, she would probably have known he was there.

At the moment, however, she was enraptured by their son.

Late afternoon light cast the whole room in gold. The area was fairly austere with yellow and beige tones and not much else, but Luke actually liked it that way. He enjoyed having simplicity in his surroundings, considering how his life was at times. Coming home could be such a relief. In the end, though, Luke realized it was more likely what was at home, rather than the home itself, which never failed to calm and soothe him, as Mara was soothing Ben now.

Ben was wrapped in a soft, blue blanket. Luke could just barely see a tuft of golden-red fuzz, and a tiny fist sticking out. The rest of him was enfolded within the blanket. Mara held her bundle close. Her long hair was loose around her shoulders, and kept falling into her face, onto Ben?s blanket. She had to tuck it behind her ear every few moments, but it didn?t seem to bother her. Her eyes were just slits of green, directed downwards. In the nearly bare room, she and Ben drew the eyes, arrested attention. It was like a living painting, a portrait of the two of them. They were the sparks of color in a room cast in gold.

Mara was singing. She didn?t have a bad voice at all ? it was feminine and fairly clear. But that was essentially all it amounted to ? she did not have the voice of a professional singer, and the song she was singing was no masterpiece either. It was a lullaby, sweet and simple with a small, light melody. Probably gruesome in origins if Luke bothered to look it up, like most lullabies and children songs that were grown rather than written. Luke wouldn?t bother, though. It wasn?t important, and this . . . delightful moment was.

It wasn?t Mara?s voice or the lullaby that made Luke smile in wonder. It was that she was singing to their son. It was the act of a loving mother, done alone to a child who would probably never remember it. It wasn?t calculated ? like Mara so often tried to be ? or necessary. It was Mara singing to her child. It just was.

She was, Luke thought, showing her true spirit as she sang ? as she missed a note, paused and tried to remember how the lullaby went, her forehead momentarily creasing in a frown, then smoothing into a smile as she began again. In moments like these, Luke was reminded afresh why he loved this woman. Not that he ever ceased to love her ? he loved her with every breath, every time she looked at him and shot off a sarcastic remark, every thought and every gentle touch. But he saw the why of it, and he regretted again that they had not

2. KatarnLead

KatarnLead Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 5, 2002
    ooer! A beautiful image, if ever I've seen one painted - great job!

3. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Ah, yes, Gabri does know that it's oba, and she's quite accustomed to oba's need to tease others relentlessly. :p Or maybe it's just me she does this to? :eek:

Anyway, I'll save the elaborate comments for others, since oba's already heard what I think of this in great detail. Suffice it to say that I think this vignette is simply beautiful. :D [face_love] I absolutely love it, dear. :D

Maybe I should go change my icon again.... :p

4. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    The real Gabri alerted me to this, and I'm so glad she did. Beautiful little story, oba. I love seeing tender family moments in the Skywalker househould. I liked how Luke thought to himself that Mara didn't have an extraordinary singing voice, but that he knew she couldn't be perfect at everything! :D

5. Gabri_Jade_Wannabe

Gabri_Jade_Wannabe Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2003
    Burkie: Thank you! :) And I had the oddest dream where someone was going by Burkie (who wasn't you) and I got really mad . . . :p

Gabri: Well, I do tease others, just not quite to the degree I do with you. [face_mischief] Thank you, dearest. :D *huggies* And please don't change your icon - icon chasing is so tiring. :p

Jedi-2B: Thank you! :D Aye, it's really just a cute little moment and not much more. :) As I told Gabri, part of the reason I did it that way was because of the Mara-haters who say she's good at everything. :p (She's not - she can't cook, either. ;) ) But anyway - thank you. :p

6. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Aww, that was beautiful. I loved it.

7. dreamspirals

dreamspirals Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2003
    Oba, that was so sweet!! Just wonderful! [face_love]

8. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Lovely, Oba. I love little family moments. :)

9. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    That was awesome!!! :D The feelings throughout it were displayed so well! :D

10. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    J_M_Bulldog: Thanks! :D

dreamspirals: Thank you, Gabri's sister. ;) :D

RebelMom: Aye, so do I. But I usually have more plot. Ah well. :p Thank you! :D

Jaina_and_Jag: Thank you! :) That's mostly what I focused on - just presenting what little stuff the story had to it. :p

11. JadenSkywalker

JadenSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    That was great, obaona! Those sweet family moments are the best, aren't they? :) I've always admired your works, and this one, though short, was extremely enjoyable nonethless.

12. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Ohhh, so sweet! Nobody does these little looks into the Skywalker's private moments like you do, Oba! I loved every second of it. [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

13. Rivad_Bacar

Rivad_Bacar Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 2002
    Outstanding Oba! Very beutiful, and loving! [face_love]

14. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Oba! I've discovered two lovely L/M viggies in one day! How marvelous! Thankees! I just love the image of Mara singing to Ben...and it's wonderful that she's not good at everything. What a beautiful little family!

15. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    :eek: How beautiful! oba, this was very lovely. And once again, your descriptions were esquisite. I love how you can tell a story simply by describing the setting and what Luke's feeling. :D And I liked that Mara can't really sing. That was so in her character. ;)

In moments like these, Luke was reminded afresh why he loved this woman. Not that he ever ceased to love her ? he loved her with every breath, every time she looked at him and shot off a sarcastic remark, every thought and every gentle touch. But he saw the why of it, and he regretted again that they had not taken the time to learn to love each other sooner.

*huggies for a wonderful viggie*

16. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    JadenSkywalker: Thank you! :D And aye, they are. :) They're fun to write, too. ;) And thank you again. [face_blush] 'Tis short, though, I agree. :p

kayladie97: [face_blush] Thank you! :D I'm glad you enjoyed, and how flattering you think I do these kind of things so well! :p

Rivad_Bacar: Thank you. :D

Emmi: You have? You did? :p Aye, I like the image, too. I could really picture it in my head, that's why I could write it down so well.

Liana: Thank you. :D Aye, I suppose that's a favorite technique of mine. :p And yep - I think of it this way: she can dance, why should she be able to sing? She's always danced, never sung, so there has to be a reason for it. [face_mischief] *huggies* :D

17. _3MD_PsychoSniper

_3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Nice Obbana, nat as angsty as some of the Tempature series, but nice.

18. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    I wandered through the BTS board and found this. Sneaky obaona, posting with a sock! [face_devil] 8-} I liked this, so soft and sweet. I don't know much about the NJO era but I'm happy that Luke found a family to give him such contentment. :)

19. Ariapaige

Ariapaige Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 2002
    Ohhh! Oba this is sweet! :) [face_blush]

;) Paige

20. joy_noel

joy_noel Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2002
    Very nice. I like the stolen moments between those two. I'm glad it got upped so I could read it.

21. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    _3MD_PsychoSniper: Thank you. And it's not meant to be angsty. ;)

leia_naberrie: Thank you! [face_blush] That you don't even know the characters that well and still liked it is a huge compliment. ;) :D And as for the sock . . . it was too much to resist. [face_mischief]

Ariapaige: Thank you! :D

joy_noel: I like little stolen moments, too. :) And thank you. :D I'm glad too. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.