main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - OT She Shall Rise Again (Padmé/Vader AU - ANH) - Updated! 12/28/15 - Chapter 22!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Admiral Volshe, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    This is also posted on FF.net, but I am planning on putting updates here as of now.

Characters: Padmé, Darth Vader/Anakin, Luke, Leia, Ben, Han, Chewbacca Breha + Bail.
    Genre: Drama, Adventure, Romance, a sprinkle of Friendship and a few others.
    Summary: ROTS-ROTJ, Very AU. Padmé is placed in hibernation, after her force-bond with Anakin proved stronger than anyone believes. When she is awakened, she must face the ghosts of her past to save the ones she loves. But will she be able to forgive one Dark Lord of the Sith? Darth Vader/Padmé Amidala pairing. Some dark and emotional themes.

All characters and some dialogue belongs to Lucasfilm/Disney, and any of their respective parties.

A Note to New and Old Readers: I am slowly going through the process of writing new chapters and editing/formatting what has already been posted, but I won't be editing the FF.net version, so the latest copies will be here.

I've finally gotten my muse back, after dealing with some not-so-nice issues for the past few months plus a chronic illness, so chapters are coming together again. They may not be as good as they have been in the past, but I'll be doing my best. Thanks for sticking with me and thank you so much for reading and reviewing. You're all amazing!

Constructive criticism is always welcome! I'm striving to become a better author by knowing what I do well and what I need to improve on. :)

-AV

:)

------​

Prologue

The pain is unbearable. I feel as if someone is viciously ripping my body to pieces. I hear a scream ring out and somehow I know it's my own. It rings painfully in my ears as I turn my head. I manage to look up. Obi-Wan is beside me; his face tense. I hear a baby cry out. The Medical droid's soft voice speaks, I close my eyes with a wave of pain.

"Isita oido."

I took a deep breath, words still struggling to come.

'It's a boy,' I thought, still unable to speak. I gathered precious air into my lungs.

"Luke," I breathed. Bittersweet happiness filled my heart when I saw him. "Oh Luke," I repeated as I reached to touch his face. Another wave of pain took hold; sharp and unforgiving. I screamed again, my eyes beginning to tear. The pain began to subside as quickly as it started and the droid spoke again.

"Isita oida."

Obi-Wan's voice narrated my thoughts. "It's a girl."

The rush of sad happiness filled my mind again. My breathing was harsh and rapid.

"Leia," I managed.

My eyes fluttered and I struggled to form words.

"Obi-Wan, there's good in him… I know… I know there's still…" I gasped, my head falling to the side. The bright birthing room began to fade and my ears began to ring.

"No! Anakin!" My breath caught in my throat.' How could he do this to me?' I tried to scream, but no sound came. My eyes blurred. My chest burned. A familiar voice rang out among my internal chaos.

"Let her go, Anakin!"

I felt my face begin to numb, the sulfur burning my eyes.

'I can't breathe…Anakin… please…' I gasped. My mouth formed the words, but barely any sound came. Only the searing wind of the planet and my desperate choking met my ears. Then blackness, nothing.

My eyes opened again. I looked around rapidly, trying to figure out where I was. I glanced down, my eyes fixating on someone on a hoverbed below me. The familiar yet foreign walls of Polis Massa surrounded her.

That's me! I started to panic, my chest tightening with every breath. Where am I? Why can I see myself?

Are the twins alright? Questions raced through my mind, faster than a skiff. I closed my eyes again, willing myself to calm down.

I must be dreaming, I thought, hallucinating… or dead. The latter wasn't very comforting. It seemed impossible, like a dramatic story on the HoloNews. I relaxed and focussed on waking up. Nothing happened.

Wonderful.

I opened my eyes, trying to make the body below me do anything. Hoping by some strange miracle it would. Cold fear seeped into my chest, not being able to wake myself I began to panic. My recent memories rushed through my head.

"Padmé, I need your help. He's in grave danger."

I hear my voice, strained and worried, 'From the Sith?'

Terror ripped through me, the thought of Anakin dying unbearable. Obi-Wan started speaking again, his voice becoming soft and tender.

"From himself . . . Padmé, Anakin has turned to the dark side."

The fear and anger gripped at my throat, denial causing me to become disoriented. I shook my head. My voice sounded foreign as bile began to rise in my throat.
    'You're wrong! How could you even say that?'

Obi-Wan turned away from me and paced forward. He sounded tormented.

"I have seen a security hologram of him," he paused. My palms began to sweat, my head began to tingle.

“…Killing younglings."

Shock made me reel. I attempted to regain my composure.

'Not Anakin!' I felt as if I was suffocating. My voice rose higher and became shaky. 'He couldn't!'

Obi-Wan turned, looking back at me. My breathing became harsh, I knew more unwelcome words were coming.

"He was deceived by a lie. We all were. It appears that the Chancellor is behind everything, including the war. Palpatine is the Sith Lord we've been looking for. After the death of Count Dooku, Anakin became his new apprentice." Sweat began to dot my brow.

I couldn't look at Obi-Wan; I needed to sit. My head span, I felt distant.

'I don't believe you ... I can't.'

My voice sounded parsecs away. I managed to find my way to the couch. Images swam in my eyes, my gaze locked on the empty wall across the room. I was only vaguely aware that Obi-Wan sat beside me. He spoke softly again, trying to soothe me, but urgency broke through his façade.

"Padme, I must find him."

The bile rose further in my throat, and anger flushed my face. I knew what he wanted, what he felt was necessary.

'You're going to kill him, aren't you?'

Again, I heard his falsely assuring voice, "He has become a very great threat."

In my head, frustration and anger formed words.

How could he think I would betray Anakin?

I wanted to scream at Obi-Wan, to make him see how cruel his intentions were, but I could only speak 2 words.

'I can't.'

I looked away, trying to hide the hot tears that sprung to my eyes. I heard him move and I glanced down at the Japor snippet.

"Anakin is the father, isn't he?" Obi-Wan asked. I pretended I couldn't hear him. His words ripped through me, tormenting my soul. I didn't look up. I willed him to leave. "I'm so sorry."

Despair filled me and the anger threatened my composure once more. Sorry wouldn't stop him, sorry wouldn't change what he was about to do. Sorry wouldn’t save the man I loved.

I waited until I heard him leave before I allowed the tears to run down my face. I called Anakin's name, hoping he would somehow respond. His words from the previous day entered my mind.

"Please, wait for me." I saw his face, concern hiding behind his smiling eyes.

I couldn't. I couldn’t wait. I needed to warn him.

The memory was broken as something caught my eye.

My eyes darted to the movement. I saw Bail Organa and Obi-Wan Kenobi standing side by side in the viewing area. C-3P0 and R2D2 stood behind them. Obi-Wan was brushing his beard, a look of concern painted over his features. Bail's mouth was turned down and his eyes seemed distant.

Oh Maker no!

Fear washed over me, my fingertips tingled, my throat felt like it was closing. I looked again at my motionless body on the hoverbed.

I can't be dead! No! Obi-Wan, I'm here… Look up! I breathed out, my head feeling light. Just breathe, Padmé. You can get yourself out of this.

Another voice startled me. It was robotic, the sound of the vocoder echoing through the rooms.

"…she is gone. There is nothing more we can do. I'm sorry."

My throat burned with fear and anger. Hot tears sprouted at my eyes.

"Why can't you see me?" I screamed, "I'm right here. Luke…Leia… They need me!"

I stared down at my body again, this time I willed it to move, for my heart to beat, anything. My hope began to fade, and the harsh shadow of reality began to take over. I'm dead…The words tasted metallic, like blood. Dead. I repeated it over and over again. The words sounded distant, I still felt as if I was dreaming.

Obi-Wan entered the room, sadness tainting his stormy eyes.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. I felt tears fill my eyes again. I tried to blink them away. He reached for a stray lock of hair and all of my emotion rushed to the surface. As his hand brushed my forehead, I shrieked.

"Obi-Wan!"

His hand recoiled in an instant. Shock flooded his face as he glanced back at Bail. Bail rushed into the room, his mouth pressed into a tight line, fighting to keep confusion at bay.

"What happened?" Bail looked over Obi-Wan's pale face. Obi-Wan didn't answer. His thoughts were running rampant, he was unable to focus. Bail placed a hand on Obi-Wan's shoulder, attempting to bring him out of his trance.

"Obi-Wan," he repeated, "What happened?"

"The Force…She spoke to me through the Force." Obi-Wan's voice was soft, but riddled with emotion. "I….I heard her scream. She's terrified, extremely upset." He turned back, to look at my body. He knelt again and hesitantly placed his fingertips on my head.

"Obi-Wan!" My voice cracked, as relief flooded through me. "I don't know what's going on. I see you, I hear you. I'm floating outside of my body. I need your help. I need to live!"

Obi-Wan's hand moved away again, a mixture of shock and relief on his face. He turned to look at Bail.

"Bail, I need you to bring Master Yoda. Padmé is here, she is still speaking with me."

Bail stood for a moment, seemingly frozen. He looked at my motionless form, then back at Obi-Wan. Finally, he seemed to comprehend what Obi-Wan had just asked. Bail turned and rushed through the doorway. His boots clicked rapidly as he walked down towards the hangar bay.

Obi-Wan turned back to the hoverbed. He moved to sit and closed his eyes. I knew he was trying to reach my energy through the Force. I watched him in his meditation, listening to the soft hush of his breathing. I could almost feel his presence next to me, yet nothing more happened.

It seemed like an eternity before I heard the rhythmic clicking of Bail's boots once again. In between his footfalls came another, harsher noise. It sounded like wood.

Yoda's gimer stick. I thought. Thank the Maker!

Bail came into the room. Obi-Wan opened his eyes and stood slowly. Their eyes met; Obi-Wan nodded a silent thank you. Both of them turned as Yoda entered.

"Obi-Wan. Padmé is here, you say?" Yoda questioned, his eyes scanning the room. Obi-Wan followed Yoda's gaze, trying to figure out what the old Jedi was thinking.

"Yes, Master Yoda. When I brushed away a piece of her hair, I heard her voice scream my name. I held my hand to her forehead and she spoke with me again. She wants to live, she asked for our help."

Obi-Wan glanced at Bail, and then back at Master Yoda. He started again.

"She is using the Force as a medium. I tried meditation, and I could feel her energy. Unfortunately I could not speak with her again."

"Very unusual, this circumstance is." Yoda sighed, and slowly walked over to the hover bed. "Lived through the Force bond of others, very few have."

Force bond? I questioned, trying to get more answers. Yet the answers to my questions seemed to get more obscure with each passing moment. The twins? They aren't bonded with me, yet, are they?

Ani!

It must be him, I know it.

Relief washed over me for a moment, realizing that Anakin must still be alive – somewhere.

Obi-Wan looked at Yoda, shock widening his pupils. He opened his mouth but did not say anything. He closed it once again, his shocked eyes now filling with a mix of emotions. A frown furrowed his brow.

Yoda’s eyes were downcast, not in thought, but in sadness.

Strangely, I could feel them in the room. It was as if my mind was brushing against theirs. Yet a black spot held me back, stopped me from reading their thoughts.

They're hiding something from me. My anger began to bubble to the surface and I wanted to lash out at Yoda. Behind his wise features, he's deceiving me! I'm holding out on death, and they're worried about the Empire! My face flushed, and my eyes narrowed. Obi-Wan killed Anakin, and they want to take away Luke and Leia as well.

The fury became encompassing and it threatened to explode.

My thoughts became irrational, my emotions uncontrollable. Every little thing the Jedi had done seemed to become like an extra charge of Baradium. Obi-Wan opened his mouth again and spoke, barely audible.

"She will find out, sooner or later. Can you help her?" Yoda looked up at him, a frown creasing his brow. He began to shake his head, and I could feel the regret emanating from him.

I shrieked. 'Why are you hiding the truth? Of all the people I thought I could trust!'

Fury clouded my vision in crimson.

I can't hold back any longer. They need to know what I'm feeling, what they've done to me.

I closed my eyed and focused on Obi-Wan and Yoda. Almost instantaneously, I felt a shockwave rip through the room. My anger began to ebb and I opened my eyes. Obi-Wan stood, his mouth agape. Yoda's eyes were wide, either in awe or shock. The room was in disarray, droids shut down in the corners, the wall cracked, and the large viewing window shattered.

Did I do this? I felt confusion fill my chest. How?

Obi-Wan looked at Yoda and asked "What do we need to do?"

His voice was tense, it threatened to break at any moment.

"A moment, I need. Meditate, I must." Yoda replied. He was hesitant, still weighing the consequences. Yoda closed his eyes, sighing. His breathing slowed and became soft. After a few minutes, I felt a strange presence near me. Realizing who it was, I tried to reach out to it, and as I did it became more pronounced.

"Master Yoda," I heard myself speak, "Iam here. Can you help me?"

The presence grew still and I waited for a response.

"Yoda," I repeated again. I looked down at the three people I knew so well and I waited again. Soon, Yoda's energy became discernible. I could almost see his figure floating near me. I felt him reach out to me.

"Release yourself, you must. Only allow you to return, will the Force, if serene you become." Yoda's strange voice rang in my ears. "Relax, you should. Guide you, we will"

Hesitant at first, I closed my eyes once more.

I focused on nothingness, trying to forget my surroundings.

Relax, calm. I told myself. You are free.

I felt a pull and I let go. I felt myself floating away from where I had been, I felt Yoda's presence drift away. With another pull, stronger this time, my entity moved closer to my body. I continued to relax, and the cycle continued.

Suddenly, a bright light shone in my eyes. My ears began to ring, my body to tingle. The light's intensity grew and I felt heat. Intense heat. My skin felt as if it was burning, my mouth felt dry, like the deserts of Tatooine. My eyes felt like molten lava and my head began to spin.

The light faded, leaving me in darkness.

I heard a noise, constant, rhythmic. As my ears stopped ringing, the noise grew louder.

'What is that?' I asked myself. 'What's going on?'

My eyelids felt heavy, as if I hadn't slept for days. I struggled to open them to no avail. I tried to move my arms, nothing. I tried my legs, nothing. They seemed to burn with the effort.

Why can’t I wake up? Did I make it back to my body?

The questions swirled in my head and it began to throb. I tried to speak, but my lips were stuck together and my throat raw.

A voice rose from the uncertainty surrounding me. It was tinny and emotionless.

A medical droid.

"Jedi Masters Yoda and Kenobi, Viceroy Organa, we cannot keep the patient under sedation for much longer. There are two options that are available at this time. We can put her into hibernation - until she can be awakened - or we can take her off of life support. I suggest that she be placed in hibernation. The awakening process can often keep a patient stable for a long time period, even without medical intervention."

What is wrong with me? Why can they not wake me up now?

Onceagain, questions began to take over and I felt helpless. I could barely hear the voices as they discussed the meagre choices. I felt as if I were underwater; the bass of their voices were the only sound to reach me. A numbing chill fell over me as I realized I was still dying. My fear crept out once again, before fading into a vaporous sigh of helplessness.

Is there nothing I can do?

I reached out to the Force again, hoping that it would save me a second time. My effort was fruitless. I fell back into the arctic waters that surrounded my consciousness.

"MD-04, we shall put her into hibernation," someone decided. I recognized the voice.

Bail.

Thank you.

I heard the whirring repulsorlifts on the droid as he made his way closer to me. The cold appendages moved my arm slightly and the temperature seemed to make my body ripple. The mechanical movement of the droid resonated in my head as I felt pressure against my forearm. Pain flooded my body as the droid administered an injection.

My awareness instantly began to fade away. I struggled against the tide of drowsiness. Every part of me felt as heavy as permacrete. My brain resisted against the drug taking effect, but I knew I couldn't fight any longer. I tried desperately to find something to hold on to. A thought, a memory, a dream. I felt myself losing my grip on reality - even with my desperation to stay conscious - I knew I had just moments left. I reached for the twins; my heart was aching. They weren't there.

Worry rose in my chest and then - I felt them. Relief dulled the pain as I tried to speak, to comfort them. As my voice failed to express them, I focused on the words again, only thinking and hoping that the twins would understand.

Be strong. I love you.

As I my conscious self was fading, a memory took hold.

A familiar voice, one I held dear.

"Don't be afraid."

Anakin. I tried to use his memory as a safe haven, to forget the pain he had caused me for one moment. He spoke again; more warmly than before. "I love you."

I mouthed the words in return and stopped fighting. A peaceful emptiness washed over me before I drifted into the shadows.

2. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    Hello there. :)

I've had the pleasure of reading this story over at FF.net, and now I get to experience it all again on the shiny new boards! :D I'm so glad you've posted this already, Volshe. It truly belongs here, where it will thrive all over again.

As I've said before, there are too many compliments to type, so I'll just leave a quick response.

I'm captivated by this story. You've really produced an emotional gem here. This plot works tremendously well, and you leave us wanting more.

I just can't wait for the forthcoming installments. Hopefully, I can make it through the fourth chapter again. That particular entry struck me with intense emotion. I implore everyone to read this story.

Thanks for sharing such a stellar tale. =D=

~epithree

Ewok Poet and Admiral Volshe like this.
  3. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    You've really captured my interest here. I am looking forward to reading more. :)

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  4. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    epithree Thank you very much! I'm absolutely ecstatic you enjoyed it this much! :D

Sara_Kenobi Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it so far! :)

Ewok Poet and Random Comments like this.
  5. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Warning: Fairly graphic/emotional memory in the story, It is marked with a sentence. Not worse than T-rating. The end of the chapter has a bit of a eerie scene as well, a moment of insanity that is emotional.

Chapter 1:

Found

Darth Vader turned at the sound of footsteps behind him. A young officer stood in front of his towering frame, his eyes large with surprise. Vader’s eyebrow rose with impatience, as the man struggled to find a way to meet his eyes. After a few seconds, he seemed to gain some composure.

“L-lord Vader,” The officer stuttered, still obviously flustered, “We have picked up a reading on a Diplomatic Vessel from Alderaan, the Tantive IV. We have reason to believe they are associated with the Rebellion.”

“What reason?” Lord Vader demanded, growing impatient, “We cannot run the Empire on assumptions, Captain.”

Sweat beaded on the man’s brow. He took a deep breath. “We have intercepted a communications relay with a Rebellion associated code.”

Vader signaled to Admiral Ozzel, who was standing a few feet away, monitoring some crewmen. He waved off the officer and waited for Ozzel to approach.

“Admiral, you are to seize that ship. I want it intact. I will personally oversee the capture of the diplomat as well as a search of the ship.”

Ozzel bowed his head, “Yes, milord.”

He waited until Vader began to leave the bridge, and then turned to give his orders.

As Vader walked through the corridors, he began picking through strategies in his mind. He made a mental note to bring at least two squads of Stormtroopers, the entrance was sure to be guarded by a number of Rebel soldiers. When he made it to his quarters, he entered the security clearance code and walked in. The room was grey, with a large black hyperbaric chamber in the middle. A computer terminal was on one side of the room, opposite it were 2 medical droids. It felt sterile and bland, but the walls seemed to hold a sense of relief. Vader hated the drab atmosphere but knew he could at least attempt to relax here.

Vader sighed, disrupting the ventilators rhythmic hush-shhh . He made his way over to the droids, and switched them on. The droids clicked once and hummed to life. They floated over to the chamber and paused, waiting for Vader to open it. He took a few steps, and pressed a series of switches. The large pod began to open with a loud whirr. Vader stepped inside and took his seat. He waited for the automated arm to remove his helmet, and resisted the urge to rub his eyes, stress and fatigue beginning to take over.

Please let me sleep peacefully, he whispered in his mind. The comment was to his subconscious, he didn’t want to have any visions to obscure the mission at hand. He closed his eyes while letting the droids complete their procedures, and fell into a fitful and dreamless sleep.

xXx

“Admiral,” the crewman snapped Ozzel out of his silent musings. This better be important, Ozzel thought impatiently.

“What is it?” the Admiral’s voice was riddled with exasperation.

“We have detected the Tantive IV.” He replied matter-of-factly, “The ship has just reverted from hyperspace, and is about to enter the orbit of Tatooine.”

Ozzel began to walk towards the hover lifts, urgency increasing his pace.

xXx

Vader awoke in the hyperbaric chamber, and replaced his helmet as an alert sounded. He growled a string of curses, irritated by the unwelcome intrusion. As the pod opened Vader saw that Ozzel had entered and was waiting a few meters away.

“Yes, Admiral?” He unsuccessfully tried to hide his anger. He noticed that Ozzel’s thoughts were wandering, something he had always been annoyed by. The tension in his voice grew further. “You have news for me?”

Admiral Ozzel looked startled for a moment as his eyes snapped to Vader, but he quickly regained his smug expression. “Yes, Lord Vader. We have found the ship. It’s entering the orbit of Tatooine.”

“I want you to capture the ship in our tractor beam, and assemble 2 squadrons of Stormtroopers for entry.” Vader’s words were cold as ice and he raised a hand in a tight fist; a modest reminder to what the future could hold. He wanted the Admiral to realize that there was no room for error.

“Yes, my lord.” Ozzel maintained the same face as he bowed and left the room.

Vader brought down his hand as soon as the steel doors snapped shut and began to scan the admiral’s thoughts, which were still not focused on his work. His annoyance began to flare once more. Nothing could get through that man’s thick, aristocratic skull, as far as he was concerned. He truly despised Naval Command for placing the impudent man under his command. They had given him little choice, however. Those who met the requirements were either leading other fleets or laying 6 feet under due to his infamous temper. With an irritated huff, Vader leaned back into his chair.

As soon as he reached the bridge, Ozzel began to bark orders at the men. His rage had made it to a boiling point and Vader’s soundless threat was fueling the flames. “Assemble 2 squadrons of troopers in the docking bay!” he bellowed at two Corps members, “Prepare the tractor beam!” he continued at another group of men.

They scurried to complete the tasks he had given them, most without as much as a ‘Yes, sir!’ The admiral paced threateningly, his manner not unlike a vornskr, before looking to a Lieutenant a few paces to his left. He adjusted his stiff cap mindlessly; waiting for the man to finish a conversation.

“Do we have the ship’s trajectory?” he asked, only a slight growl left in his voice. The effect of the confrontation on him was beginning to fade; nearly as quickly as the rage had come over him.

]Vader had consistently found flaws in near every mission he had commanded. He despised that ability of his the most of all. If someone gave the Sith Lord the most perfect piece of transparisteel in the galaxy, he would be sure to find a crack. Or make one. He sighed impatiently; the wait of the news was causing his anger to surge yet again.

The Lieutenant walked towards him after finding his answer. “Yes, sir. Approximately 30 minutes until we’re in range,” he replied, "Our scout ships are monitoring it's movement closely." Ozzel nodded, and the man walked back to his former position.

Seconds after he received his response, the door to the bridge opened once more. Ozzel spun smoothly to face towards it. Darth Vader had entered and before he could react, had already managed to glide to where Ozzel stood. He adjusted his posture and tried to move his discontentment with the Sith from the forefront of his mind.

“I trust you have completed the orders I gave you?” Vader questioned.

Ozzel nodded, his composure quickly regaining. “Yes, Lord Vader.”

“Good.” Vader replied, and turned to the men in charge of the tractor beam. “How long till we are in range?” The distinct sound of his breathing filled the bridge while he waited for the reply.

“30 minutes, milord.”

Vader proceeded to walk to the front viewport, and watch his home planet come into view. A pit formed in his stomach, and he felt consumed by the memories that swirled in his mind.

“Are you an angel?” I heard myself ask.
    “What?” Padmé looked confused, and a smile played across her lips. I could see in her eyes that she was flattered.

“An angel.” I repeated, starting to feel a bit embarrassed. “I've heard the deep space pilots talk about them. They live on the moons of Iego, I think. They're the most beautiful creatures in the universe.” I looked at her face again, trying to read her feelings.

She giggled a little, and a brighter smile crossed her face. “You're a funny little boy. How do you know so much?”

“I listen to all the traders and star pilots who come through here,” I replied, content that she was conversing with me. “I'm a pilot, you know, and someday I'm going to fly away from this place.”

The bittersweet memory faded, and was quickly replaced by another.

*Graphic Warning*

I kicked down the mud wall and hooked my lightsaber back on my belt.

I scanned the interior, and then I saw her. I hurried to untie the fabric bindings, and when she was free I eased her into my arms. “Mom, mom, mom.” I tried to comfort her, but I didn’t know how. My chest ached, my eyes burned with rage and sorrow. She let out a small moan, her agony showing in the depths of her beautiful eyes.

“Ani?” She whispered. A spark of life returned to her eyes, “Is it you?”

A large gash crossed her face. Dried blood was caked around her eyelids and mouth. Her hands were calloused and swollen, and her arms were covered with large bruises.

Tears rushed to my eyes. I struggled to swallow the lump forming in my throat. “I’m here, Mom. You’re safe.”

“Ani? Ani?” Her voice was weak, and she struggled to lift a hand to my face. “Oh, you look so handsome. My son…” A tear fell from my face onto her palm. I kissed her hand, and another fell. She took a desperate breath.

”My grown-up son. I'm so proud of you, Ani...” She stopped to breathe again and I looked in her eyes.

“I missed you.” I whispered to her, trying to smile through the anguish. I blinked away more tears, hoping that I would not lose my grip. I leaned my head to the side, like she always had when she quieted my fears.

Her soft, comforting voice spoke again.

“So proud... I missed you so much...” She paused and a small smile traversed her lips. ”Now I am complete.”

I sat cradling her in my lap, her brown hair glistening in the fire light. Her ivory skin glowed orange, reminding me of the evenings we watched Tatoo I and II fade into the distance. I rocked her gently, trying to ease her suffering. Her eyes were glassy, her body trembling. She held up a hand.

“I love…” Her voice caught, and she gasped for precious air. Her eyes lolled to one side, and she struggled to look back to me.

Tears ran down my face, and desperation made my chest tighten. “Stay with me, Mom. Everything's…”

I stopped, as she opened her mouth again, and took a frail breath. She looked at me, and I could see the resignation in her eyes.

“I… love…” The last breath faded, and her eyes became vacant. Her head fell back, and I tried to support it. The campfire became a swirl of orange, crimson and yellow through my tear filled eyes.

The bitter drops of salt water turned to hatred.

I gently laid her lifeless body on the dirt floor of the hut, and brushed away the last tears with my tunic sleeve. I grasped my lightsaber, the hilt felt foreign, cold. Before I could react I had ignited the cobalt blade. It sounded dull, as if I was in a trance. My ears felt hot and my chest burned. I began to stride towards the hut’s entrance, knowing full well what would happen next.

The blade of my lightsaber crackled as the blood of its first victim burned off. At least 15 more Raiders were approaching me now. I hacked at them ruthlessly. My eyes clouded with torrents of angry tears and I screamed until my throat grew raw. I did not care who they were, how old they were. They had taken my mother from me. Women approached me, laying their children at my feet. They wanted reprieve, for me to stop. I couldn’t. My mother’s warm eyes haunted me, and I felt the heat of my blade as I swung it upwards in vengeance.

I killed them all and left a hundred bodies in my wake.

“Mom.” I sobbed as I raced home on the speeder. I repeated the word over and over again, until my voice grew hoarse. My tunic was damp, my eyes swollen and painful. As I traveled, the suns slowly began to rise. The unwelcomed light grew stronger. My thoughts still betrayed me as the homestead appeared in the distance. It was mid-morning now. Cliegg, Beru, Padmé and Owen came out of the doorway at my approach. I left the speeder and held her body wrapped in the rough wool fabric. I brought her inside the hovel, placing her body on the steel floor. My resolve dispersed, I collapsed to the floor and wept. I heard Padmé come to the door and call my name.

“Lord Vader?”

*End of graphic warning.*

“Milord?” the voice startled him. He spun around to see Captain Piett.

Vader’s throat was still tense from his memory, and he swallowed, hoping his voice would not be strained. “Yes, Captain?” the Sith Lord glanced around the room, trying to locate Ozzel. “Where is the Admiral?”

“Ozzel has received an important communiqué from the Tormentor. He gave me his position momentarily, milord.” Piett’s voice was confident and clear, and his features demonstrated the same.

“What were you going to tell me, Piett?” Vader questioned, his voice sounding agitated. Though the memories were harsh, they also brought a strange peace. Something that was a rare occurrence for him.

“The Rebel ship is caught in our tractor beam, and it will be in the docking bay within 10 minutes, milord.”

He signaled for the Captain to continue his duties. Piett bowed quickly and walked over to monitor a group of control panels and the crewmen that were sitting along them.

Vader exited the bridge, and strode down the steel grey corridors. He watched with mild amusement as officers eyes flickered with discomfort as his black-clad 6 foot 7 figure walked past them.

Within minutes he had reached the entrance to the docking bay. A group 40 strong of the elite 501st Legion stood at attention as the door soundlessly slid open to reveal the feared Lord of the Sith.

A klaxon shrieked, alerting the men in the bay that the Tantive IV was within 500 feet of the Star Destroyer. Vader stood and watched at the vessel slowly drifted into the hangar, and was set down with a rush of pressurized steam. The Stormtroopers formed into position at the airlock, and Vader stood behind them. Two engineers began to use plasma-torches, cutting into the thick steel door. The metal turned golden yellow, and the Stormtroopers forced the entry. Sparks and an explosion conquered the entrance, and the troops waited to enter the area.

Immediately, red blaster fire filled the main corridor with smoke. As the troopers forced their way forward, Vader followed close behind. The sheer number of troopers caused the remaining Rebels to flee, leaving only a handful for the white-clad soldiers to disperse. The elite fighters secured the area quickly, and Vader walked behind them, his armored, black figure contrasting with the stark white of the halls. They made it to the end of a hallway, where a wounded Rebel lay. Vader picked him up by his throat, and held the man slightly above the ground. A Stormtrooper approached Vader, an air of insistence surrounding him.

“Lord Vader, the plans are not in the main computer,” he said, voice muffled by the helmet. He awaited the Sith’s reaction.

Vader gripped the soldier’s throat more tightly. The man struggled to no avail. “Where are those transmissions you intercepted?”

The echo of Vader’s voice boomed through the passage. The Rebel did not answer, and Vader lifted him further off the ground. His arms tensed with impatience.

“What have you done with the plans?” Vader snarled.

The man sputtered and panted.

“We intercepted no transmissions,” he breathed, letting out a gasp as Vader’s grip tightened. “This is a consular ship,” he choked out, his air supply lessening. Lord Vader continued to hold, feeling his fragile throat closing beneath his grip.

“We’re on a…”

He attempted another harsh breath.

“Diplomatic mission,” the Rebel finished.

Vader’s eyes narrowed, he was growing furious with the man.

“If this is a diplomatic mission,” he questioned threateningly, “then where is the ambassador?”

The soldier closed his mouth and refused to utter another word. His anger reaching the boiling point, Vader intensified his grip again. The Sith Lord’s breathing echoed through the corridors as he choked the life out of the Rebel. A sickening snapping noise marked his end. Vader tossed him aside. He hit a post and crumpled to the ground, lifeless.

Vader turned to the troopers surrounding him.

“Tear this ship apart until you've found those plans and bring me the Ambassador,” he ordered. “I want her alive!” The men dispersed as Vader walked off to search the control room.

xXx

Vader’s comm beeped, and he answered it swiftly, knowing immediately who it was. “Yes, Commander?”

“We’ve found her, milord.”

“Bring her to the main corridor. I will meet you there” Vader signalled to the intelligence officer with him and shut off his comm before the man could reply. The door rushed open and Vader stepped out, just as he saw the prisoner. He recognized her at once.

Princess Leia Organa of Alderaan.

“Lord Vader, I should have known. Only you could be so bold. The Imperial Senate will not sit for this, when they hear you've attacked a diplomatic… “ Her sarcastic tirade was cut off by the Sith Lord.

Vader’s voice began to rise, his ire growing exponentially. “Don't play games with me, Your Highness. You weren't on any mercy mission this time. You passed directly through a restricted system. Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by Rebel spies. I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you.”

Her eyes flashed with shock, but she quickly replaced it with mere annoyance. “I don't know what you're talking about. I'm a member of the Imperial Senate on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan...”

The lies just proved to make Vader more furious. He jabbed a gloved finger in her face. “You’re a part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor.”

He swung his arm and motioned abruptly.

“Take her away!”

The troopers walked off with the Princess in tow. Vader continued down the hall.

The intelligence officer looked to Vader. “Holding her is dangerous. If word of this gets out, it could generate sympathy for the Rebellion in the senate.”

“I have traced the Rebel spies to her. Now she is my only link to find their secret base!” Vader replied sternly, annoyed by his request to release her, but intrigued by his political knowledge.

“She'll die before she tells you anything.” The young man countered, as they turned a corner.

“Leave that to me.” Vader replied tersely. “Send a distress signal and then inform the senate that all aboard were killed.” The rest of his sentence was interrupted by another officer.

“Lord Vader, the battle station plans are not aboard this ship. No transmissions were made. An escape pod was jettisoned during the fighting, but no life forms were aboard.”

Vader’s frustration grew. Blast! She hid the plans in the escape pod! Finding the pod was going to prove difficult. The constant sandstorms on his homeworld hid banthas in a day. He stopped his thoughts, and turned to the man. “She must have hidden the plans in the escape pod. Send a detachment down to retrieve them. See to it personally, Commander. There'll be no one to stop us this time.” He looked at both of the men and turned to walk back to the Star Destroyer.

xXx

Vader’s form created a silhouette in the viewport, contrasting the beige and umber of Tatooine.

He heard the footfall of boots, and waited to hear the latest information about the escape pod search.

The mustached man paused beside Vader and cleared his throat.

“Lord Vader, the pod has been located. We have troops on the ground searching for the contents. A piece of a protocol droid was found.”

Vader turned his head. “Thank you, Admiral.” At least he can do something right. “Prepare the ship, we leave at once for the Death Star. Maximum velocity.”

“Yes, Lord Vader.”

“And Ozzel, you have the bridge.” The Sith Lord left the bridge, his cloak swirling like a cloud of black smoke, and the ventilator echoing through the halls.

He arrived in his quarters and entered the pod. The arms of a droid released him from the helmet. He tried to avoid his reflection in the shining blanched walls, but his eyes caught. He sighed. His skin was pale and it was interrupted by a group of red gashes on his scalp. His eyes were sullen. Another group of scars crossed his right cheek. The only memories of the man he once was were his dazzling blue eyes and a small faded scar near his eyebrow.

I’m a monster.

Anguish filled his heart as memories came to his eyes, but he pushed them away. Only their voices survived.

“I truly…deeply… love you.”

Vader made a fist, trying to force the voice away. Ten more voices began to speak.

“Anakin! Help me!” the scream rang in his ears, his eyes burned.

“I’m sorry” he whispered.

“You were my brother, Anakin!”

Obi-Wan’s voice infuriated him. He slammed his fist into a nearby droid. He fought an angry roar building in his chest, closing his eyes. His breathing was harsh and rapid. The anger sluggishly faded. Eventually it did, leaving him exhausted. His eyes drooped and he fell victim to sleep.

xXx

He was awoken by a sudden alarm and a vibration echoing through the ship. With a quick press of a button, his helmet was replaced. He turned on the communication feed, and called the bridge.

“Lord Vader!” Ozzel seemed surprised, and a crewman behind him looked embarrassed. I don’t even want to know what he did now. Vader held back a sigh.

“Admiral, an alarm sounded, the ship was shaking a moment ago. I want to know why.” He growled.

Ozzel paled visibly. “I asked this man to input a few coordinates," he pointed at a crewman whose face was frozen in fear. "An alarm sounded, but I am not sure as to why. We're doing scans of the hull and ship functions.”

“Perhaps you should read up on whom is in charge of what, Admiral, before demanding crewmen complete things. I doubt firing a homing rocket upon our own ship would get us to the Death Star much faster.” Vader smiled under his mask, finding Ozzel’s discomfort quite entertaining.

“I want to be there within 6 hours. Do not disappoint me, Admiral.” Vader closed his eyes, and slowed his breathing and fell into a meditative trance.

xXx

His beautiful Angel, her eyes twinkling in the light. Her carefully styled ringlets hid a playful smile. Footsteps approached, and another woman with deep chocolate, shining hair entered the room. The strange young woman turned to face him.

Vader awoke suddenly, sweat forming on his brow. Only small pieces of the vision remained, but the fear wallowed in his chest. The few faces he remembered lingered behind his closed eyelids.

Why would Padmé be with her?

Confusion started to rise in his throat, but a beeping halted his contemplation.

“Yes?” he asked, turning on the video-comm.

“We have arrived , Lord Vader.” Ozzel’s Caridian accent filled the chamber.

“Transfer the princess to the detention center. Maximum security.” He replied simply. “Prepare a droid for interrogation as well.”

“Yes, my lord.” Vader ended the transmission.

xXx

Vader made his way through the passages to Cell Block AA-23. Two intelligence officers followed close behind him, one of them struggling to keep up. They stepped into the hover lift, and Vader waved the door shut.
    “Leave the questions to me. You are simply there to take note of her responses.”

“Yes, milord.” They replied in unison. The rest of the trip was made in silence.

At the entrance to the cell, Vader signaled the guards to stand at the ready and for the interrogation droid to be sent in. The door slid open. The Princess of Alderaan sat upright. Fear crossed her eyes as Vader moved aside for the droid, which held a large needle filled with Bavo Six truth serum.

“And, now your Highness, we will discuss the location of your hidden Rebel base.”

The ball shaped droid moved forward as Vader’s voice echoed in the small steel cell.

As the serum was injected, Leia released a series of screams. Her arms burned and every part of the room appeared to be closing in on her. Vader’s tall figure became a towering monolith. The officers’ faces became distorted. The Sith Lord’s breathing became deafening before the Princess collapsed onto the floor.

Vader demanded of her one simple answer. “Where is the Rebel base?”

Instead of a reply, Leia began to thrash about, her eyes taken over with fear and her mouth an ugly grimace. She spoke with a soft voice, like a mother cooing.

“Where are we going, Daddy?” she repeated the question over and over again. Vader tried to unlock her mind, to reach for the location of the base. She yelled the question louder, and started to laugh. Her body shook, her high pitched crows filling the small room. Suddenly her eyes snapped to attention and she stared into Vader’s eyes. Her face grew serious before she spoke. “We are going to visit someone very special, princess. She’s an old friend of mine.”

Vader continued to probe her memories, ignoring her insane rant. She stood up and staggered over to one of the officers. She attempted to grasp his hand, but he pulled away with a look of disgust. Leia continued, unfazed.

“Daddy, why are we at the MedCenter? There are so many wonderful sights here. I want to see the opera and visit the Senate!”

Vader’s attempt to find information failed as he fell into the memory Leia was enacting.

The room was large, and the lights were dim. Leia leaned over a glowing capsule, smiling. “She looks just like me Daddy! She’s so pretty.” She paused and looked at Bail. “Why are her eyes closed?”

Bail looked at Leia and took her hand. “She’s in hibernation, dear. She almost died 8 years ago, but they saved her. A man she loved very much tried to kill her.”

Leia’s lip quivered and tears began to stream down her face. “Why, Daddy?”

She walked forward, standing on her tiptoes. Bail picked her up by her waist, holding her up to the capsule’s transparisteel cover. The memory blurred for a moment and then it focused on the woman inside. The face inside was soft, and beautiful. Brunette curls framed her sleeping face.

No.

It couldn’t be.

She’s... dead.

I killed her.

6. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    You have me hooked!

Admiral_Volshe likes this.
  7. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Chapter 2:

Discovery

Vader staggered, the memory fading before his eyes. It was as if a block of ferrocrete had hit him in the chest. He struggled to convince himself that the memory wasn’t real.

It’s a protective barrier, she made it up. It was nothing more than a delusion.

He took a long breath. She combined two memories; it was someone else in the chamber. But why did Bail say that someone who loved her tried to kill her? Vader pushed the thoughts away momentarily. Regaining some of his composure, he motioned to the officers. The interrogation was finished. As they exited the room, Leia’s peals of senseless laughter echoed through the cell block once more. I need to find Bail, and soon.

As they arrived at the lifts, his comm sounded. Tense, he picked it up. A small hologram of Grand Moff Tarkin appeared. His sullen face looked up, “Lord Vader, I request your presence in the control room, at once.”

Vader nodded his head. “I will be there.”

As the group of three men waited in the lift, his comm sounded again. “What?” he snarled, thoroughly annoyed, just as Ozzel’s stout figure came into view.

“My lord, we have intel that the rebel base could be located on Dantooine. It seems abandoned, but there is a small activated generator.” Vader raised an eyebrow under his mask, again impressed with Ozzel’s work.

“I am going into a meeting at the moment, Admiral. This information matches what I gained from the interrogation.” He lied. Vader knew how Tarkin thought, and he had to keep Alderaan intact.

There will be no aggressive negotiations, Wilhuff. He smiled, knowing he had set the perfect trap.

As the group entered the room, Vader stood over to Tarkin’s side.

“Did you gain any information from the Princess?” He sneered over her name.

“Her memory gave me a name, Dantooine. Admiral Ozzel has found a base with an active power generator on the planet as well.” Vader looked at Tarkin, attempting to read his thoughts. A rather incredulous sentence stood out in his search.

“The girl actually gave in? I figured she would die before betraying the Rebellion.”

“Don’t be too surprised, Tarkin. I have my methods.”

Tarkin’s jaw dropped, but he quickly closed it. He stood speechless for a moment, both in frustration and surprise at Vader’s intrusion.

“Well.” He turned to the pilots. “Send a scouting fleet for Dantooine. Input the coordinates for Alderaan.”

Vader swiftly intervened. “I believe that Alderaan would be best kept unharmed, Tarkin. You forget that the primary leaders of the Rebellion reside there.”

A glare of ice became directed at Vader. “If the base isn’t on Dantooine, we must have an alternate form of persuasion, Lord Vader.”

“The Viceroy and Queen have a great deal of knowledge. If they think that Leia gave us information, they will most likely be easier to manipulate.” He countered.

Tarkin turned back to the men at the control panel. “Set the coordinates for Dantooine at the moment.”

With a quick turn, he faced Vader once more. “You had better be right, Lord Vader.”

Vader leaned closer, becoming irritated. “I am leaving with my fleet for Alderaan. I shall contact you when we arrive.”

He started for the hangar bay. Tarkin, left with narrowed eyes, turned to the groups of crewmen.

xXx

The passing days were fraught with dreams and memories. Vader was constantly on edge; as usual he tended to take it out on the ship’s crew. They all breathed a sigh of relief as the Star Destroyer finally came into orbit over Alderaan. Vader sat in his hyperbaric chamber. The lack of sleep was finally getting to him. Cursing himself for leaving rest until the last moment, he attempted to power through his fatigue.

If I startle them, they will have little time to resist. I need to get them into a position where they cannot flee, however. He paused, and an idea quickly formulated. I will request an audience as one of his friends, perhaps Leia herself? I will only be able to act as her momentarily, though.

Somewhat frustrated with her being on the Death Star, he decided it was better that way.
    There will be no chance of her escape. They will not see each other, and cannot assist each other.
    He stifled a yawn and his attempts to plan the capture of the Viceroy and the Queen fell silent, as his mind began to wander.

Padmé stood on the balcony, her beautiful chestnut curls falling perfectly around her face. Her eyes twinkled with optimism and joy, and her stunning coral gown moved softly in the breeze.

“Ani, I’m so glad you took me back to Naboo. Our family will love it here.” She smiled, and turned to face the lake. The sun glimmered off of the waves, the sound of them breaking against the shore like a symphony.

“Anything for you, Angel.” His voice sounded distorted, strange. He felt a strange presence, and turned to the side. The Princess of Alderaan.

Leia walked up to Padmé, and hugged her. She looked at Vader and started to speak. “I l- “

A blinding flash of emerald filled the balcony with a searing heat, and everything disappeared. He felt pain, and endless depths formed in his stomach.

He snapped awake, his brow drenched with cold sweat. The dream had seemed so real. Vader still felt the lingering despair and pain. The machine replaced his helmet, and the respirator’s sound reverberated through the pod once again. Rising, he made his way for the bridge. He hoped that they had prepared his shuttle. He needed to get this information once and for all.

xXx

Bail was in the sitting room, reading a holonovel. The aromatic smell of caf rose into the room as Breha brought a tray to him.

“Would you like mallow in yours, dear?” Her sing-song voice echoed through the grand and intricate room.

“No, thank you.” He looked up from his book as she gave him a cup. He put it up to hers. “Cheers” he grinned.

A protocol droid came into the room. “Milady, your daughter has requested to speak with you. She has sent a video message.”

“Alright.” She rose quickly, and smoothed her skirt. The last transmission had been abruptly ended, and it had been weeks since the last time they spoke. She hurried down the marble hallway and entered the room. Sitting down, she went to check the messages.

I hope she is alright, I miss her. I’m glad she’s not with Darth Vader. Her ship was still not located by the scouts, however.
    She anxiously scanned the new messages. Mothma, Shilya Shessaun. No Leia…

The door slammed shut. She turned, and was face to face with none other than the Dark Lord of the Sith himself. She let out a blood-curdling scream. Vader took her arm and gave her to two waiting troopers. She screamed again and began to thrash.

“Bail! Bail! Help me!” A sharp sting in her neck startled her. She looked to her left as a man pulled a syringe back. She heard heavy steps run to the door before she collapsed, unconscious.

Bail tried the door. Locked.

“Breha?” He kicked the door. Once. Twice. It held fast.

Blast! I need to help her!

Catching sight of a pedestal nearby, he grabbed it and used it as a battering ram. The door splintered, and opened violently.

“Breha?” he repeated, his tone fraught with concern. A gloved hand covered his eyes, and he swung blindly. His arms were stopped by rough hands, and his wrists were locked in cool metal. Binders.

The harsh noise of a respirator filled the room.

Oh Maker no! Not…

A stab of pain ran up his neck and he felt nothing more.

xXx

The Viceroy awoke in a holding cell. He attempted to run for the door, but his legs gave out. Crawling back to the small metal bed, he lay down and gazed at the ceiling.

In a cell a few blocks away, Breha sat in the corner. Her body wracked with sobs.

Bail…Leia…

She slammed her fists into the wall, and the muffled sound resounded through the halls. She turned into the wall, and tried to calm herself.

They both settled in for the wait.

xXx
    The cell door slid open and Vader entered. Bail eyed the Sith Lord, his glare not unlike the steel walls surrounding him.

“Vader. You think you have the right to take me and my wife hostage? We are diplomats, not enemies of the Empire.” Crimson began to fill Bail’s face. His lips pursed.

“It would be wise not to anger me, Viceroy. I shall only demand the answer to two questions. If you give me what I want, you will be free to go.” Vader’s tone evolved from severe to mere tension. Bail was surprised but weary; he knew what Vader was capable of.

“It depends on the question.” His eyes narrowed further.

“First, I want to know if you have had access to the Death Star plans.” The room grew quiet, only Vader’s mechanical breathing breaching the silence. “I’m waiting.” Vader’s voice took a mocking tone.

“I want both questions front and center.” Bail was pushing his luck and he knew it. “I will answer them as soon as I have both.”

Underneath his mask, Vader scowled at Bail. He was losing his patience and it would not turn out well for the Viceroy. The Sith spoke, his speech peppered with cynicism.

“As you wish, your Highness. I am sure you will not answer the second question as willingly. Which MedCenter is my wife being held in?”

The Viceroy’s eyes instantly widened, the shock of the question resonating through his brown irises.

“I-I, I-” A bead of sweat rolled down his face. He attempted to swipe it away. Silver and black swirled before his eyes, as the astonishment dazed him. He lost all resolve. He looked away from Vader’s menacing figure and looked up at the ceiling. After a few moments, he finally managed to speak. “How did you know?”

“Your daughter. We captured her in restricted airspace; she is on board the Death Star.” Bail’s face paled, he looked nauseous.

“You didn’t harm her, did you? She’s still alive?” He spoke quickly, his words almost indiscernible.

“She’s safe. I ordered them to guard her under maximum security, no execution, no interrogations.” Vader responded simply. “She will continue to be safe, as well as you and your wife, if you answer my questions.”

“I need time. Please.” He was bowing his head, essentially begging. “Please, let my wife go. She has no involvement in the Rebellion. She is just the peaceful leader of Alderaan and my loving wife. Nothing else.”

Vader did not respond. If he let Bail’s wife go, the answers most likely would come soon after the assurance she was safe. The Viceroy seemed to have little resolve. However, there was the chance he would still not receive the information he craved. If he did not let her go, the chance that he would stay silent increased.

“I will let her go, but I cannot do the same for you as well. You are a now a known member of the Rebellion and we had suspicions before.” Bail looked defeated, but a small spark of gratefulness showed in his eyes. The Sith Lord exited the room and turned on his comm.

“Ozzel, arrange a shuttle for the planet’s surface. I am returning Queen Breha to Alderaan. Delay it 60 minutes, however, once she is on board. Send Piett up to escort her immediately and alert him of the situation. If I do not get the answers I need, she will be returning to the Cell Bay.” He switched off his comm and turned to two guards.

“Piett will be up shortly to escort her Highness to a shuttle. You are to give them no trouble.” They nodded in unison.

“Yes, Lord Vader.”

Vader turned back to the cell and entered cautiously. He was not deeming Bail trustworthy at the moment. “Your wife is being escorted down to the shuttle. You will give me my answers, Viceroy.”

He sighed, and Vader felt his extreme tension. “I know that the plans were stolen, however they were never sent to me. I can bet that Leia planned on sending them to me, they were important for the Rebellion’s cause.”

He sighed once more, and looked downward.

Stepping closer, Vader voiced his annoyance. “You have one more question to answer, Your Highness.” Bail sighed again, and looked away. He began to hum, and turned to face the wall.

“I’m growing tired of your impudence. Answer my question.” He was in Bail’s face now, his fury threatening to explode. “I will ask you one last time, Viceroy,” he snarled “Where is she?”

Bail looked up slightly, fear in his eyes. This time, he had a great deal of tenacity.

“Where is my wife?” He boomed. Bail winced.

Vader raised his hand in a tight fist. The Viceroy began to sputter and clutched for his throat.

“Please,” his voice was hoarse, breathless. “Give… me…” he took another ragged breath. “Clemency!”

“You did not answer my questions. Your wife will be sent to the Death Star and will stay with your daughter. The Emperor will deal with them as he sees fit.” Vader replied acerbically.

“Im-imperial Center… the Galactic…” he struggled for another breath, “Senate med cent…” His head fell to one side.

Vader released him. He fell unconscious onto the cold steel ground. He stepped over his body, and opened the door. He looked at the guard. “Get a medical droid.”

“Ozzel,” he snapped into the comm. He waited, too long. A roar escaped his throat. “Admiral!”

The answer came quickly. “Yes, Lord Vader?”

“Set a course for Coruscant, at once. I want to be there in 2 days.”

xXx

Piett was making his way down the hall when he saw the figure of Vader storming down the hall. He barely had time to duck to the side.

Maker help us all, he’s in a mood.

He continued down the hall, and turned into the maximum security wing. Cell 123, 124, 125…126. He greeted the guard and entered the cell.

“Your Highness, I am your escort, Captain Piett.” He bowed. Breha stood, her face streaked with tears.

“Where are we going?” She looked lost and spoke in a flat tone.

“Lord Vader has arranged a shuttle for your return to Alderaan, milady.” He tried to make his eyes friendlier, trying to break her obvious tension.

“What about Bail?” A slight edge of ferocity glanced off her face.

“He will be staying; Lord Vader has decided to hold further conference with him.”

“Oh.” She hid the anger once again, but her eyes still smoldered.

Piett motioned with his hand, a gesture for her to go ahead. She moved swiftly and exited into the hall.
    An audible crash sounded from outside. His hand reached for his pistol, but before he could react a blaster fired. He fell forward in excruciating pain, crumpling to the floor.

xXx

Breha ran. The blaster at her side, she made it to the end of the hall. “Bail?” she screamed. A medi-droid floated from a cell to her right, 5 meters away. She followed it, hoping it would lead her to her husband.

It did. She blasted her way into the room, and the Viceroy stood. He lurched forward, and Breha caught him.

“Breha, I can’t go. It would put you in danger. Please, just leave. Leia will be fine, I promise. Vader will find her true identity.”

The Queen shook her head violently, noticing the angry red streaks on his neck. “No. I’m not leaving without you.”

She held him up and they walked to the hover-lift. “Bail, do you have any idea how to get to the hangar bay?” He nodded slowly, but his head still spun. He pressed a few buttons, and they began to move.

“Turn left when we exit, walk calmly. We do not want to arise suspicion.” He wiped a newly sprouted tear from Breha’s eye. “It’ll be fine.”

Just as they exited the lift, an alarm began to blare. “Walk calmly, dear. We are royalty, not prisoners.”

They arrived within a hall length from the hangar. Bail turned around suddenly, hearing the rhythmic noise of plasteel on permacrete.

“Stormtroopers. Breha, run.”

Her eyes darted to where he was looking, then back to him. She shook her head.

“Not without you, I lost Leia, I won’t lose you!” Her voice was verging on hysteria.

“Go, now.” He looked at her and smiled. “Please.”

The troopers turned the corner. The commander spotted them and barked an order. “Set blasters to stun!”

Bail blocked Breha. “I love you.” he mouthed.

A blue blast came at him and the scene moved in slow motion. He fell, his eyes closed. She ran into the bay and clambered up the ramp of a shuttle. The group of Stormtroopers fired at the shuttle, but their blasts deflected harmlessly. She exited into space, headed for Alderaan.

She would be long gone by the time they arrived on the planet to search for her.

xXx

Vader made his way to the detention center, his fury building greater by the second.

There were 3 guards and a sentry killed, and his second best officer seriously wounded. He observed irately as a medi-droid and a doctor floated Piett’s med-capsule past him.

“Milord, the Viceroy is back in a cell. We have assigned 4 guards, as well as an extra sentry.” An officer notified him.

“Good. Inform him he will be transferred to a more secure cell on Coruscant.” Vader smirked. He would not bother the Empire any longer. They only had to worry about the Queen.

xXx

Ozzel bowed quickly as Lord Vader entered the bridge. “Lord Vader, we will arrive in approximately 4 hours. We are making the reversion from hyperspeed at the moment.”

“Thank you, Admiral.” He turned to watch the radar screen, and then took his usual place in front of the viewport. The last 2 days had been extremely uneventful. Other than completing reports for the rest of High Command, he had not had much to do except think about finding his wife. His memories of her seemed to be getting clearer the closer they got to Coruscant. Her voice, her perfume, everything he had tried to forget came back to him, and the guilt he had for killing her began to fade.
    He knew that he would find her, simply because he needed to find her.

Ozzel walked up and stood nearby. “My lord, the Emperor has left you a message. He requests an audience with you at once.”

Vader started for the Comm room, and kneeled on the pad at once. A holo image of Palpatine appeared, his face shrouded by a cloak.

“My friend. I trust that your mission to Alderaan was a success?” His ever-mocking tone spurred fury in Vader’s chest.

“We captured Bail Organa, he was a conspirator for the Rebellion, my master. He will be sent to a facility on Coruscant. We released his wife, as she had no importance in its cause. “ Vader replied.

“Good… I want you to make a report to the Senate, and watch the Queen. I am not sure she is innocent, Vader, and you should be wary.” His figure slowly disappeared, and he pushed himself up from the kneel. The meeting went well; Palpatine had not shown his true colors.

It seemed he was blissfully unaware of Vader’s future plans.

As he entered the bridge once more, he turned to the Admiral. “Prepare my shuttle for a trip to the surface. I have a personal matter I must attend to. I will be in the hangar bay in 30 minutes.”

“Yes, Lord Vader.” Ozzel spoke into his comm and gave the command.

Vader disappeared into the Star Destroyers network of corridors and returned to his quarters. He played the final wedding holo that he had. As he watched the figures move, he slipped into remembrance.

She stepped out onto the balcony, wearing a stunning lace gown. A veil dotted with semi-precious stones cascaded down her back. She smiled at me and walked a few steps, until she stood across from me. The sunlight made her dress glitter and her warm eyes glow a golden brown. I smiled back, trying to hide my anxiety. She was so beautiful. My heart almost skipped a beat when her eyes met mine. I barely heard our vows, I felt like I was dreaming. “I do.”

This was it; the woman that I love was finally going to be my wife.

“You may now kiss your bride.”

She grasped my hands and I pulled her close. We kissed, it was deep, passionate. I felt electrified. My anxiety faded. As she pulled away, she smiled once more. We turned to the lake, our fingers still intertwined. Machine and goddess, united as one.

“I love you, Ani.”

“I love you, my Angel. I will love you forever.”

xXx
    Vader’s shuttle landed on the platform and he strode down the ramp. It was dusk and the gleam of the landing strip lights transformed him into a god of the night – towering, his cape swirling in the wind, the sharp features of his mask in shadow. Nobody awaited them. He had made sure that nobody would be aware of this visit. He entered the Med-Center, a group of his alabaster soldiers following.

Vader walked quickly, the anticipation of seeing his Angel once again almost too much to bear. Finally, they turned into a long hall. The sound of marching filled the lengthy, narrow corridor and eventually the white-clad troopers came to a large steel door about 12 feet tall.

Pasted in the middle was a large yellow sign with bold, black letters reading “Warning! Authorized Personnel Only.”

At the head of the group, Vader stood - a titanic figure among them. He moved to the front of the door and inspected the security system. A series of beeps followed as he entered a code. The access light flashed red, then to green.

“Access Granted,” came the mechanical reply. The tall doors slid open with a loud shush. Capsules with patients within them lined the large room. They glowed a faint blue and it resulted in an effect of twilight. The medical droids stopped their work. One of them motioned with his appendages. A doctor rushed to the group, who had now entered the room.

“Lord Vader… can I help you?” She asked, her nervousness evident. She glanced at the 5 Stormtroopers surrounding them. “I-I have all the records for the center right here…” She stammered as she pointed to a large terminal.

He stepped forward once more and signaled for the Stormtroopers to stand down.

“I wish to see a patient immediately. Padmé Amidala.”

8. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    Oh, what a cliff hanger! Very well done! =D=

9. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Thank you very much! :D

10. Catsmeow

Catsmeow Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    I love this! I read some of this on fan fiction.net awhile ago. I think this is the same but who cares?! This is really good! =D=

11. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    It is the same. ;) I'm reposting it for those who do not read ff.net.

Thank you for the compliment. :D

12. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Well, I still would like to read it, no matter if I read some of it earlier before or not. It is brilliant! @};-

13. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    i read some on fanfiction.net, but prefer to reply here on this board. glad alderaan is safe

14. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Very exciting premise and beginning. I look forward to Padme's reaction when she gets out of hibernation. Love Leia and Bail having a part in this too. PMs with updates please?

15. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Luna_Nightshade I will definitely PM you when I update! :D (I'm not sure if you want the update included in the PM, though) I'm really excited that you are enjoying it! :)

AzureAngel2 Thank you for the kind words!

Jedi_Liz Thank you for the replies! I hated to see an innocent (and beautiful!) planet get destroyed as well.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  16. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Chapter 3:
    Reunited

"Blast it, Chewie! The hydrospanner, not the wrench!" Han Solo rolled his eyes and threw the wrench back to the wookiee.
    Chewbacca let out a series of growls, while searching through a toolbox.

"Whaddya mean there's no hydrospanner? We had one ten minutes ago, we gotta have one now." The wookiee shrugged and dug through another toolbox. He looked at the Corellian, and shook his head. Han sighed. "Well we aren't going to get anywhere without one, are we?"

Chewie rolled his eyes, ignoring the sarcastic remark. He walked over to the box near Han, and dug through it. After a short moment, he pulled out the hydrospanner. He gave it to Han with a high pitched trill.

"Real funny, fur ball. Now keep tabs on the tools will ya?" He turned back to the gaping hole in the wall, and adjusted a few nuts. He rushed to tighten a coolant valve as it began to leak. The leak smoked, and a huge spark flew at his face. He backpedalled out of the hole, smacking his head. Turning to Chewbacca, he wiped his soot covered eyes. The wookiee snickered, and looked away.

"Yeah, hilarious. Just get me a rag, or I'll give you something to laugh about." Chewbacca tossed the rag, and Han cleaned away the grime. He turned back to the wall, and stuffed the cloth in a pocket. He finished tightening the coolant tube, and adjusted a few more assorted mechanics. "Chewie, could you hand me the plasma-torch?" He obliged, and passed it to Han. "Thanks buddy."

After soldering two joints together, he emerged from the wall again. He breathed, his brow moist with perspiration. "That should do it. Chewie, try the hyperspace coordinates now." The wookiee left the room, and Han wiped off his coolant covered hands. Footsteps came from behind him, and he turned to see one of the passengers.

"Hey Han," the blond boy brushed a piece hair out of his azure eyes. "How's the repair going?"

"It should be done soon, Luke. Chewie's testing it now. How's the old man?"

"Same as always. He's meditating now." Luke looked down at his worn shoes. "I can't help but feel this is going to be some adventure I'm getting into."

"Huh." Han leaned on a steel arch. The ship lurched, and he stumbled backwards. As it evened out, a warm hum filled the corridor. He smiled, and turned to Luke.

"Hyper drive's fixed, kid. Two days from now we'll be on…" He paused melodramatically, "beautiful Alderaan." Han motioned a starburst with his hand. He stopped, and looked at the blond young man. "I have a bad feeling about this, just so you know."

Luke smirked, and shook his head. "I'll tell Ben. See you later, Han." He shook his hair once more, and turned for the living quarters.
    Han entered the cockpit, and sat down. "I hope he's wrong, Chewie. I've had enough adventure for my lifetime." Chewbacca rumbled an agreement, and they focused on their destination.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The doctor was stunned. What would the infamous Darth Vader want with a Senator who was in suspended animation?

"Um… She's- She's…" His towering figure made it difficult to concentrate. She closed her eyes and tried again. No sound came, so she pointed to the far wall.
    Vader motioned for the Stormtroopers to wait, and he paced quickly to the capsule.
    When he saw her face, he fell to his knees. He placed a black-encased palm upon the transparisteel, and the room seemed to drop from under him.

"Angel…my dear, beautiful angel…" His throat was tight, and tears brimmed over his eyes. "I've missed you…" He heard the door open, and the Stormtroopers left, leaving him in his moment.

He sat for what seemed like an eternity, watching her motionless body in its hibernation. His ventilator was the sole noise in the large, sterile room. The only exception being that every so often he would whisper her name, as softly as mist. He stayed there for a while longer, taking in her every feature.
    He stood abruptly, and looked to the doctor.

"When can she be awakened?" He still spoke quietly, and the doctor could see humanity. That he loved, and was not a monster of hatred and evil. She turned to the info-terminal, and read over some notes.

"She has been in stasis for almost 20 years, and a cure has been found for her condition." Her eyes scanned the monitor again, before turning to the Sith. "The awakening process will be the most difficult. She will probably be blind for a period; and weak as well. After she recovers from hibernation sickness, we can give her surgery and IV medication to stabilize her condition."

"What is her condition, Doctor?" There was tension in his voice, as he tried to hide the guilt and pain he felt.

"A severely enlarged heart, most likely from excessive stress and lack of oxygen. This lead to heart failure. There is also some fluid buildup in the protective layer of the heart. This was caused by trauma, as well as the heart failure later on."

Vader was stunned. He had injured his Angel, to the point where she would have died. I could have killed her. I thought I did. He felt faint, and swayed. The doctor pushed a chair behind him, and he fell into it. The emotions were overpowering. How could I have done such a thing?
    With his emotional state, came memories.

The path ahead was dark, except for moonlight, and Vader walked swiftly to the mausoleum. He entered the crypt, slowly. The hallways were grand, the stained glass windows of Naboo's history lit by plasma lamps. Floral arrangements in red and green attempted to lighten the cold grey corridors. He made it to a large door, with a plaque reading a few sentences.

"Our Beloved Queen and Senator,
    Loved by many, and who loved all.
    Forever rest in peace."

He opened the large black door, and entered the tomb. Kneeling before the marble statue of his beloved, he lay down a bouquet of Nubian orange blossoms, Naboo Rominarias, and a white and red rose. Symbols of eternal love, of unity. He stood once more, trying to lock away the memory of the room.

"Goodbye, my Angel." He whispered, and turned away.
    He left, back into the halls, and then into the blackness of the night.

As he returned from the memory, he saw the physician checking on the other patients throughout the room. He stood, and she came over.
    "Would you like to wake her, Lord Vader?" She looked at him, with warmness in her eyes

"Yes." He responded. The doctor did not seem to think he was intimidating any longer. He tried to search her mind, hoping he could find the cause for her trust. Love. That was the answer. He loved Padmé, and she knew.

The doctor sat by the info-terminal, typed a few notes, then looked at Vader. "May I also ask your relation to her?"

Vader sighed, even though the doctor knew how he felt, he did not want to show any more emotional weakness. "She is my wife."

A slight wave of surprise flitted through the doctor's mind, but she hid it well. After inputting some more data on the terminal, she went over to Padmé's capsule.

She activated a mechanism, and the bed rose on repulsor-lifts. She turned to Vader. "We have to awaken her in a small room. Certain procedures are required, so we cannot allow any other people into the room. Once she shows signs of consciousness, however, I can bring you to see her."

Vader nodded, his thoughts echoing in his mind. She won't recognize me with my mask… My voice is distorted. But she will be blind from the hibernation. Perhaps I can take my helmet off, for a few moments. He looked at the doctor, "Is she to be awakened in a hyperbaric room?"

The doctor nodded. "The oxygen concentration will help reanimate her."

"I would like to remove my helmet when I am with her." He stated.

"That would be fine. I see no reason why not." She was nervous to see his injuries; no one knew anything about the man behind the mask. She summoned a medical droid, and they moved the pod to a smaller hallway. "I will call you in when she is awakened."

Vader simply nodded, and watched his wife's capsule fade down the hall.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Hey kid, get up here, will ya?" Han was yelling from the cockpit, as the Alderaanian air patrol was asking for a code transmission.

The gritty voice came over the comm system again. "Alderaan air patrol to unidentified YT-1300 light freighter. You have entered restricted airspace. Please transmit an approved landing code, as well as the reason for your visit."

Han put his head in his hands, knowing that even Luke didn't have a code. "Alderaan air patrol, this is Han Solo, captain of the Millennium Falcon, YT-1300 freighter. I am here with Luke Skywalker and Ben Kenobi who must speak with the Queen immediately. They have information about her daughter."

"Hang on a moment, Sir. We are transmitting the names to the Queen." The comm clicked off for a moment. A few minutes later, the voice spoke again. "The Queen is off-planet at the moment." Han sighed. Great, now we came this way for no reason. He piped up again. "But she will hold audience with you on the moon Yavin IV. I am transmitting the coordinates. Under no circumstance allow the Empire to get a hold of them, sir."

Han sighed again, relieved. "Thank you." He turned to Chewbacca, "Set the coordinates, Chewie."

Chewbacca growled, and pushed a series of switches and buttons.

Han smiled. "Thanks, buddy."

Luke arrived in the room, and glided to a stop. "What?"

"Never mind, Luke. We have a change of course, to the moon Yavin IV"

His cerulean eyes were vacant with confusion for a split second, and then he looked at Han. "Why?"

"The Queen has been relocated. I have a feeling it has to do with the Empire." He leaned forward. "I also have a really bad feeling about this."

Luke closed his eyes for a moment, and then looked back to Han. "It'll be fine. I know."

Han rolled his eyes and leaned back. "Don't tell me the Force told you that."

He shrugged his shoulders. "I guess it did. The darkness is pretty far away, but we'll be much safer near Yavin." With a glance into the hall, he waved to Han. "I need to go back to my training."

Before Han could make another comment, Luke had run down the corridor. Chewbacca turned to Han, with a long string of chirps and growls.

"Don't worry; the kid's got some kind of insight. I'm sure he'll be right."

Chewie responded with another vocalization.

"No, I don't believe in the "Force". He's probably just a little… psychic."

The wookiee shook his head at Han's and turned back to the navigation computer. Han sat resting his head on his hand, contemplating the recent events.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My body felt as if I was on fire, every limb hotter than the sun. I heaved for air, and felt lightheaded.

"Padmé? Can you hear me?" The voice was distant, and unfamiliar. I tried to nod, but my muscles would not oblige. I began to hear sounds, droids moving about, the soft woosh of my heartbeat.

"Padmé, I'm your physician, Dr. Natalya Zhel. You have been in stasis for the past 19 years, and we are attempting to awaken you. Can you move any part of your body?"

I tried again to move my head, but nothing happened. I felt a prick on my fingertips. The small dot of pain erupted back into a wildfire. I wanted to scream, to thrash, anything. My chest burned, and the pricks came again, bringing a torrent of agony.

I couldn't breathe, my heart began to race. I tried to gasp, to gain precious air. Nothing.

Panic washed over me, as I heard a monitor sing one flat note.

I slipped back into darkness. Painless, thoughtless, I disappeared once more.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Sith Lord was pacing in the waiting area, growing frustrated. I felt her presence, she was there. And then she disappeared. Why? I know she's alive, perhaps even conscious! He stopped at a small window, and watched the air traffic speed by. After a few minutes, he turned to walking back and forth. The room was plain, with the red chairs and windows an attempt to lighten up the atmosphere. A plant with small white blossoms sat in the corner, and Vader recognized it as an Everlily. He stopped examining the room as footsteps approached.

"Lord Vader." Dr. Zhel appeared from the room. He stopped pacing, his cloak drifting to the ground like volcanic ash. "Your wife has gone into cardiac arrest, and she needs emergency surgery."

Vader staggered, and felt as if a force pike had gone through his chest. "Will she be alright? Will she live?"

The doctor looked torn. "Her condition is more severe than we thought, but she should recover. She has a very strong will. There still is the chance she will die, but it is very insignificant. They are prepping her for surgery as we speak."

Vader nodded, and turned to the window. Dr. Zhel left the room, and proceeded towards the operating room. As soon as her footsteps faded, he sat down into a chair, and fell into meditation.

I stood overlooking the magma falls, the heat tortuous and nearly unbearable. A lone tear rolled down my face, a memory of the man I once was, of my mother, all the ones I'd murdered. A gleaming Naboo skiff landed on a platform. I felt her presence; I knew it was my Angel. I began to run for her ship, and when she saw my figure approaching, Padmé ran towards me. Her face was creased with worry.

I was mere feet from her. "Padmé, I saw your ship . . . " She continued to run until she reached my embrace. She was distraught, and her eyes were moist with tears. I attempted to comfort her, "What are you doing out here?" Something had gone wrong on Coruscant; otherwise she would not have ignored my request for her to stay behind.

Her breathing was irregular, heavy. She looked at me, fear rising in her deep brown eyes. "I was so worried about you. Obi-Wan told me terrible things."

"What things?" The mention of Obi-Wan's name infuriated me, and I knew he had told her of my actions.

"He said you have turned to the dark side . . . that you killed younglings." Her pitch rose an octave, her mind struggling to erase the thought of me killing innocent beings. My anger rose larger in my chest, and I looked down, hiding my regret-filled eyes from her.

I looked back to her, and made an attempt to hide my throat burning with fury. My voice was calm, reassuring. "Obi-Wan is trying to turn you against me."
    She shook her head, not knowing who to believe. Her voice became as soft as mine. "He cares about us."

"Us?" A torrent of rage rose over my composure, and the word tasted bitter.

She looked uneasy, and I knew she didn't want to say anything. She finally spoke the words that plagued her. "He knows . . . He wants to help you." She looked into my eyes, their umber irises burning with confusion and desperation. "Anakin, all I want is your love."

I wanted to take the offer, to have the guarantee of her love. My mind went immediately back to the dreams, and I knew I couldn't save her if I gave in. "Love won't save you, Padmé. Only my new powers can do that."

She searched my crystal blue eyes, for a hint to the puzzle I had become. I felt her panic rise into my own chest. "At what cost? You are a good person. Don't do this." She continued to shake her head in disbelief, and her eyes still begged me to take her offer.

"I won't lose you the way I lost my mother. I've become more powerful than any Jedi has ever dreamed of and I've done it for you. To protect you." Seriousness took over my features, and I fought away the memory of my mother. I would not lose my Angel; she was all I had left.
    The worry broke into her voice. "Come away with me. Help me raise our child. Leave everything else behind while we still can."

"Don't you see? We don't have to run away anymore. I have brought peace to the Republic. I am more powerful than the Chancellor. I can overthrow him, and together you and I can rule the galaxy. Make things the way we want them to be." She shook her head frantically, trying to decipher what I had just said. I had betrayed her; I knew that I was no longer the Anakin she loved. Using the Force I tried to wordlessly plead with her.

She continued to look at me incredulously, and I could see in her face she was hurt, that she knew now Obi-Wan had been telling her the truth. "I don't believe what I'm hearing . . . Obi-Wan was right. You've changed." The last words stung, as if a hot ember had jumped through my heart. My endless anger for Obi-Wan continued to grow, he had betrayed me. He had failed me.

I looked into her beautiful face, struggling to keep my temper down. "I don't want to hear any more about Obi-Wan. The Jedi turned against me. Don't you turn against me."

Her voice was nearly hysterical, and she struggled against tears. "I don't know you anymore. Anakin, you're breaking my heart… You are going down a path Ican't follow. "

Then I sensed him. Obi-Wan. He was here. My tone was strained, still battling the rising emotions. "Because of Obi-Wan?"
    She took a step forward, and continued. "Because of what you've done . . . what you plan to do. Stop, stop now. Come back! I love you." Her breaths were heaving, tears had filled her eyes. I looked behind her, feeling my old master's presence even more clearly. A yell rose out of my chest.

"Liar!"

She looked behind her, and spotted Obi-Wan on the ramp from the ship. A wave of fear filled the bond we shared. "No!" Her breath stuck, and I felt another surge of panic.

My anger overpowered her emotions. I knew what Obi-Wan had come here to do. "You're with him. You brought him here to kill me!" I could not believe my own Angel would turn against me. She would kill me just to bring peace to a fallen Republic.

Her voice was frantic. "NO! Anakin, I swear ... I ..." She looked desperately to both sides, terror filling her mind. Her brown eyes pleaded with me. My anger swelled like an enormous wave, and I looked at her, my eyes flashing with crimson and yellow. I reached a hand up to her, the dark side of the Force overpowering my love for her. She began to choke, her hands reaching to her throat.

"Let her go, Anakin." Obi-Wan was slowly walking down the ship's boarding ramp, his tone commanding me to release the darkness, to spare my Angel. Her eyes started to become vacant, and she said my name once more.

"Let her go!" Obi-Wan was on the platform now, and he enunciated every word, struggling to keep his own disappointment and anger at bay. I did not release her from my grip.

I felt her life fading, my anger was too great. Her eyes closed, and she began to disappear from the Force. I heard her attempts to breathe cease, and her fragile throat collapsed beneath my grip. I released her, and she fell lifeless to the ground. My heart began to pound. Words in my throat caught, and I could only manage one. "No… no…"

I ran over to where she lay, I tried to feel for a beat of her heart. There was nothing, only silence. Her presence faded from the Force, becoming smaller until it was gone. I felt cold, her comforting warmness gone from around me. I sat beside her body, and caressed her cheek. Staring into her lifeless eyes, I broke down. Salt water clouded my vision, and ran tracks through the ash on my face.

I held her to my chest, mourning the beautiful Angel I lost. Without a second thought, I took my lightsaber, the grip cold and unforgiving, and the blade shot up, illuminating her in a beautiful sapphire light. Obi-Wan dove for me, reading my thoughts. Before he could stop me, I drove the ocean blade into my own heart, and fell to the side peacefully with my Angel within my embrace.

Vader awoke with a start, and took a minute to regain his composure. He loathed when the Force showed him visions of what could have been, for it made him feel remorseful and weak. Standing, he began to pace once more. Patience was never something he had, even less so now. An edge of anxiety crept into his mind. What if she dies? Force, please save her. He had no reason why the Force would listen to his request. He had brought it into darkness, and placed most of the known galaxy into oppression. He had helped Palpatine. He thought back to his vision. No. That was who he was now. He was no longer Anakin, no longer the Jedi he had been. He would not be able to change his path.

"Together we can rule the galaxy. Make things the way we want them to be!" His voice echoed, and his pace quickened. Will she take my offer now? Will she see that the galaxy can be stronger with her at its head? Will she become Empress by my side?

Vader tried to answer the questions, but it was near impossible. He could only attempt to see her future, and he admitted to himself that, for once, he was afraid. He desperately wanted his Angel by his side, but she wanted democracy. She hated the darkness; she hated what he had become.

"I don't know you anymore" The words chilled him, and he stopped pacing. He closed his eyes, and tried to focus on the Force. He could feel her, the energy weak but existent. A small smile of relief filled his face. Focusing even more intently, he spoke a few words.

"I love you, Angel."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

After 12 grueling hours, Dr. Zhel headed to the information terminal. The operation had been a success, and Padmé was still recovering from the sedative. After recording the outcome of the surgery, she left for the waiting area. When she arrived in the room, it was empty. She glanced around the nearby rooms, but there was no sign of Lord Vader. She walked through the corridors, looking for him. Nothing. Knowing that she had to check on Padmé as well as other patients, she gave up.

As she walked back past the waiting room once more, she looked again. She saw his tall figure stop walking and look up. She was a little un-nerved by his sudden appearance, and stopped abruptly.

His deep voice echoed through the room. "Is she alright?" His figure stood tense, waiting for a reply.

Natalya nodded. "Yes, Lord Vader. She's recovering at the moment. She needs bacta injections for the next few days, as well as other medication. She will be fine though." He visibly relaxed, and the doctor continued. "You may see her in 3 hours; however she will not be able to be awakened for a day." Vader nodded, his relief growing by the minute. "I will have a nurse bring you into the room when we are ready."

"Thank you, Doctor…" He realized he did not know her name. He tried to hide his pause by turning away. Vader had already shown a great deal of weakness, and it made him scorn himself.

"Zhel." She finished. He heard her footsteps walk away, and the room was empty once more. He turned his comm on, deciding that he could not delay a prolonged stay on Coruscant.

"Ozzel." He regained his intimidating tone.

The Admiral picked up. "Yes, my lord?"

"I will be delayed for another few days. It is unavoidable. Should the Emperor attempt to make contact, tell him that I am undergoing treatment at a medical center." He waited for Ozzel's reply.

"Yes, Lord Vader." He bowed quickly, and Vader shut off the comm. Hopefully his excuse would hold, the Emperor's suspicion was not something the Sith Lord needed.

He began to pace once more, hoping that the hours would pass quickly.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Vader walked quickly behind the doctor, anxious to see his wife once more. Dr. Zhel stopped at the door.

"I'm going to warn you, she is in a fairly fragile state. She needs extra oxygen, as well as intravenous medication. The bacta has sped up her healing, but it is not enough yet." She turned back to the door, and scanned a small device. The door slid open, and they entered an air lock. He could see his wife, her brown curls splayed out on the pillow, and her soft and beautiful features peaceful in sleep. The doctor opened the second door, and they entered the small room. It was white and grey, the walls plain with the exception of a few monitors. A small window overlooked the sprawling city. In the distance, the remains of the Jedi Temple stood, its large pillars stood as a memorial to the past. Vader turned, trying to avoid the past once more.

Padmé's fragile frame lay in a small hoverbed; IV's weaving around her arms. Dr. Zhek turned to read a monitor, and Vader used the Force to pull a chair to her bedside. He sat, and attempted to grasp her pale hand without disrupting the tubes. He moved his gloved thumb in a circle, as he used to when she was distraught.
    He grew disappointed with the fact that he could no longer feel her satin skin, and it was just another thing he had lost. The negative memories threatened the moment, and he struggled to push them away.

I am here now. I can see my Angel, and hold her hand once more. Nothing else matters, she is with me again.

He looked at her face, and noticed a small tear escape her closed lids. He moved his other hand to gently brush it away. Her body was not yet conscious; he could not decipher her emotions. He tried to send her another message through the Force. Angel, don't be afraid. I am here, and you are safe. We have been united once more.

Vader continued to sit near her, drinking in her presence. There had barely been a day when he had not hated himself for killing her, for destroying the one true love he had. It seemed surreal, that he would finally have her embrace once more. That he could have someone to call his Angel. As he went through memories in his mind, the light outside began to fade, and the stars took over the sky.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The fire began again. My throat burned with an agonizing thirst, my fingers felt as if they were smoldering. I felt my legs begin to throb, and the numbness began to recede. I heard a voice, distant yet familiar. My ears were ringing, and my eyes fluttered. I felt dizzy, and my forehead broke out in a cold sweat.
    A tender touch wiped away the beads of sweat before they rolled down my face. I tried to open my eyes, to see who it was. I felt my eyelids open, but there was only darkness. The small voice came again.

"Padmé?" I recognized it, yet my mind would not tell me the reason why. I braced myself against a wave of nausea, and the fire started once more in my limbs. I swallowed harshly, trying to break out of the pain. "Doctor Zhel, is she alright?" With the voice came a caress of my cheek, and the pain seemed to subside. I turned my head towards the source, and I heard it whisper.

"Angel?"

I knew who it was. I struggled to speak, and managed a single word. "Ani?"

I heard a sigh of relief, and the hand lay back on my forehead. "I'm here. Don't worry."

My memories were clouded, and I fought against another wave of nausea. I weakly tried to reach a hand out, to touch his face. "Anakin?" I repeated. A firm hand grasped mine.

"Don't. You have an IV. I'm right here, Angel."

"Anakin," My breathing was harsh, and another wave of sickness passed over me. "Don't leave. Stay." I

"I'm staying, Padmé. I won't leave you." The voice was comforting, and I closed my eyes. The excruciating flames in my limbs began to fade, and I slept once more.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I awoke some time later. As I opened my eyes, the room was blurred. I tried to make out figures, but only colors showed themselves. The pain has all but ceased in my limbs, and the nausea had subsided.

"Anakin?" I called, remembering his promise.

"Padmé, can you see me?" His warm voice let relief fall over me. I shook my head.

"I can't see. Where am I?" I tried again to find him, but all I could see was a group of lights straight in front of me.

"The Imperial Senate MedCenter. You have been in stasis for 19 years." His voice grew slightly strained, and I could tell he was holding back emotion. He whispered something, nearly unintelligible."19 years without you."

"What happened?" I inquired. I tried to remember, but my memories were obscured. "Why am I here, Ani?"

"You don't remember?" He asked incredulously. I shook my head in response. He sighed. "Your heart was enlarged, and filled with fluid, and it stopped. They had to put you in stasis to save your life."

A nagging feeling told me was not telling the entire truth, but I was too tired to argue with him. I turned my head to one side, and looked at the blurs. I felt a familiar sensation grip my small hand. Remembrance sparked in my head. His cybernetic hand's glove. "Ani, why aren't you using your normal hand?"

"I lost it." His answer was simple, and I knew he didn't want to discuss it. "They are both robotic."

A tear came to my eyes; I knew how much he hated having the first one. "I'm sorry."

He wiped it away, and his voice became serious. "No, don't be sorry."

I grasped his hand in return. A door opened, and I heard footsteps. "Lord Vader, we need to give her more medication."

Anakin's voice spoke. "Go ahead."

A cold feeling filled my body. Lord Vader? The voice became directed at me. "Ms. Padmé? We need to give you an injection. It will burn, and you will become drowsy. Alright?"

I nodded. The hand brushed my forehead as I felt a medical droid give the injection.

I heard one last voice. "Sleep well, Angel."

My thoughts were still haunted by the name she had spoken.

Vader.

Voices echoed in my head, as my memories flooded my mind.

"Padme, I need your help. He's in grave danger."

"From the Sith?"

"From himself . . . Padme, Anakin has turned to the dark side."
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Vader sat incredulously, wondering how Padmé could have forgotten what he had done to her. He knew that hibernation sickness could cause amnesia. But she remembered my name, that I had a cybernetic hand.

He waited for her to awaken, and he braced himself for her reaction to his face. Removing the mask had given him the ability to speak with her. He was grateful for that. How could he possibly explain his condition? He could not forgive himself for what he had done to her, but he knew she would give him her endless sympathy. He was a monster, and he reminded himself of that daily, for the past 19 years.

Vader began to get frustrated. He was truly angry at Obi-Wan, for failing him. Why did he have to follow Padmé? His nerves were fraying, and every second thought of his old master caused him to tense. He held in a growl, and noticed he had been gripping Padmé's hand swore in Huttese, and released her from his grip. He held his head in his hands, and struggled to control his emotions. I will not hurt her again. I cannot hurt her again.
    He sat quietly, his hatred of himself the only company he had.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

When I opened my eyes, the light burned them. I blinked hard a few times, and then tried to focus on the wall across from me. I noticed I could see every detail, and smiled that my vision had returned. There was a small window near my right side, and I looked out at the passing traffic. As my mind became further oriented, I noticed something else. The chair beside my bed was empty.

"Ani?" I called quietly. Was it just a dream? Did I even see him before? My heart began to race, and memories began to flood my mind. Short scenes ran through my conscious.

Where are the twins? Is Anakin dead? Is the Empire still…in charge?
    Mustafar's lava plumes and ash interrupted my questions. My throat felt tight, and I remembered Anakin trying to kill me. His anger, his power was more important than I was. How could I possibly still love a man who tried to kill me? I had no answer. I didn't hate him, I was just furious with his attempt to kill me in cold-blood.

He wasn't the only one I was irate with. The other two were Jedi masters. Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda. How could they have just let Anakin go? They knew he was struggling, yet they did nothing to help him. The rules of the Jedi Council were too important to let a young man save his mother. Or his wife. My eyes narrowed, and I tried to control my raging fury.

I closed my eyes, and took a few deep breaths. I heard noises around me, but I figured it must be a medical droid. I continued to lie quietly, attempting to relax my quick breaths.

"Padmé?" Anakin. He was here. I continued my calming routine, ignoring the new round of frustration that came with his voice. "Are you awake? Can you see?"
    I opened my eyes, and turned my head. I was ready to give him my thoughts, to get rid of all my anger. I stopped, my mouth open. A small gasp escaped my lips.

An unfamiliar man sat in the chair next to me. His entire body, with the exception of his face, was covered in black armor. His face was scarred and pale, and he had none of his golden curls left on his scalp. The only thing left that I could recognize were his glistening cerulean eyes. He turned his eyes away, looking ashamed.

I finally gained the nerve to speak. "Wha-what happened?" It was a whisper; I was still shocked to see the man I once knew changed so drastically.

He looked up at me, his eyes sad. "Obi-Wan did this to me. He left me to die on Mustafar. I wear the suit to live, and a mask when I am not in an oxygenated environment. " He sighed. "I am an evil being, it is fitting." His face turned away from me once more.
    To see my beloved scarred and tortured by his emotions was near unbearable. I couldn't think of what to say. Yes, he had caused me to suffer, but was it really necessary for him to be trapped in a suit for the rest of his life?

"Ani." I paused, waiting for him to look at me. "Don't, you are still the man I love."
    His eyes flashed an eerie yellow. "I am no longer Anakin Skywalker, the brave Jedi Knight, fighting for democracy and peace. I am Darth Vader, Sith Lord and part of the Empire." He stood and looked out the small window. "The man you loved does not exist. I killed him when I hurt you on Mustafar."
    I still did not want to fight with him. There were more questions that I needed answers to. The Empire is still alive, but what about the twins? Does he know they exist? Is Obi-Wan still alive, and where is he?

"Can you answer some questions for me?" I asked meekly.

He sat once more, and looked at me intently. "Yes, but I am still unsure of some of the answers." He sounded exhausted.
    I didn't know where to start, and I felt anxiety creep up on me. "The baby… I think it … died. I'm not sure." I did not want to lie, I loathed being untruthful. His eyes dulled, and he shook his head.

"I have not sensed it in the Force; I do not think it survived. I believe you are right. " He put his hand to his forehead, and I could tell that he despised how he gave up everything.

"Ani, it was twins." I scanned his face for a reaction. His face registered shock, and then returned to the previous monotone expression. He was hiding his emotions, as he had done so many times before.

"A boy and a girl."

He stood abruptly, and strode over to the corner of the room. As a medical droid passed, he shoved it violently. It shattered into a thousand pieces, and fear began to numb me.

"Anakin! Stop!" I tried to yell, but it came out as a whimper. He roared, and another droid fell victim to his rage. My eyes filled with tears, and I could barely speak. I began to shake. "Ani…please." He looked at me, and his eyes were a swirl of fire. They were hostile, and unfamiliar. He walked towards me, and I instinctively held up my arm. I was terrified of him, he was a stranger.

He looked at me, and left the room. I saw him in the airlock as he replaced his mask. Watching him go, I doubted my trust in him.

Was there still good in his soul?

Or was he the Sith he claimed to be?

17. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    I know there is good in him, even though he can be such a .... [insert what you want in here!]

Like that we have Han & the rest of the crew heading towards us, too.

Can´t wait to read what happens next.

As I explained a fellow German today, who works as a engine driver/ engineer for the Dutch railways, I am a Vader girl since elementary-school. I was 7 when I saw RotJ, now I am 36. He, a Trekkie and SF-fan in common, smiled at my enthusiasm.

Recently I have not been happy with all the CW developments. Dislike the series to be honest. The original comics from Dark Horse are great though.

Your fanfic portraits a Vader that I miss a lot at times. Thank you!

18. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    I'm really looking forward to see where the relationship of Padme and Vader goes. I like that it seems very complicated as they both struggle to cope with everything.

19. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    Mesa... likes dis

20. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    AV, you are an awesome and excellent writer, my friend. This is a beautiful story, and I'm looking forward to reading more. You are truly gifted with creativity. Keep up the great work.

=D=

:)

21. Venus_Star2-com

Venus_Star2-com Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    I really like how the way you protray Vader. He seems to be a mix of anakin/Vader....

I do hope that padme can save him

22. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    A bit shorter, more of an interlude...

Luna_Nightshade

Premonitions

The Millennium Falcon passed over miles of dark green forest, and Chewbacca punched away at the Galactic Positioning screen. It began to beep, and he let out a growl.

Han turned to him. "There's no base? There has to be! Check the coordinates again." He leaned over two screens, and then pushed a few buttons on the console. "Try it now, Chewie." He trilled, and shook his head.

Luke stood up and looked at the console. "It's around here, I feel it. Can you send a message on all frequencies?"

"Sure, kid. Hopefully someone friendly's on the other end though." His voice was slightly more sarcastic than usual, and he picked up a small microphone. "Yavin IV base, this is Captain Han Solo of the Millennium Falcon. We are requesting permission to land."

Static filled the cockpit for a moment, and then a voice broke through. "Captain Solo, this is Yavin IV base. We are removing the cloaking shield from the landing bay. Proceed to coordinates 60, 40."

"Thank you, Yavin base. Solo out." The mic crackled again and then shut off. "Alright, Chewie. Did ya get that?" The wookiee shook his head in agreement. With a flip of a few switches, the Falcon was headed for the base. Han spun in his chair. "We should be there in 20 minutes, kid."

Luke stood, and headed back to the living quarters. "Hey Ben. We'll be at the base in 20 minutes." The old Jedi Master looked up, and his eyes narrowed for a moment.

"Luke, something is bothering you, isn't it?"

The blonde-haired boy shook his head in response. "No."

"Be wary of your feelings. They can tell you when you are in danger. It is not wise to hide them." His voice was stern; he wanted Luke to be honest with him. His storm-grey eyes scanned the boy's once more.

Luke sat on a metal bench. He looked defeated. "Alright. I've been having these dreams. I don't know what they mean."

"What are they about?" Ben leaned forward. "Do you recognize the people in them?"

"I don't know. I'm sitting on an island, on a strange planet. There are a lot of green plants, and a big palace is in front of me." He sighed, and continued with his head down. "When I look at the palace, there are people on the balcony. I feel like I know them, but I've never seen their faces before. There are two women. One has curly brown hair, she's older. She is very beautiful and she smiles. Another woman has brown hair in a braid. Behind her is a dark shadow. I can't see the face, but I know that it's a person. I can't remember the rest. A big green light fills my eyes, and it gets really hot. Then I wake up." He tossed a piece of fabric he was fiddling with. "It's stupid, I know."

Ben stood, and put a hand on his shoulder. "Your dreams can be messages from the Force. From the past, the present, or the future. You must watch them, but in time they will reveal their true meaning. They…" He stopped. Kenobi was slightly startled by Luke's dreams, and he had a nagging feeling that the boy's dream was a premonition. He looked outside into the vast darkness of space. Could it be a dream of his mother and his sister? How would he know what they look like, unless someone has showed him? He realized that Force imprints of his family had been uncovered, from a recent memory. But what memory could that be? The holo! His subconscious memory has allowed the Force to send him a message.

"Ben?" Luke had appeared in front of him. "Are you alright? You just kind of trailed off and had a weird look on your face." He looked concerned.

"Yes. My mind isn't what it used to be, I'm afraid." Ben turned and looked back at Luke. "We should be arriving soon. You should get prepared."

Luke agreed soundlessly, and walked into an adjoining room. He began to pack his small amount of possessions. A few shirts, a pair of desert pants, a small stone he had taken from Tatooine, and his father's lightsaber. He twirled the chrome hilt in his hand, and ignited the deep blue blade. It made him happy to have a piece of his real family. He tried to imagine his father fighting alongside hundreds of Jedi, trying to preserve peace and justice. Sitting down on the bunk bed with the saber in hand, he let his daydreaming take over.

Images floated around in his mind, none of them having a rhyme or reason.

Everything went black as he drifted into slumber.

I woke up in a strange chamber, the ceilings grand and the whole room bigger than I thought possible. It was dim, but just enough light escaped from a strange beam at the end of the hallway. It changed from red to blue, pulsing with every step I took towards it. Suddenly, a roar filled my ears. Around me thousands of beams in emerald and cobalt began to light the room. Running backward, a feeling of dread filled my stomach. The strange color changing beam started to swing, and slowly move forward. The specks of colored light began to fall and disappear. I tried to run faster, but my legs stopped moving. I fell to the hard ground, and more beams became darkness. Counting the seconds, I waited helplessly for the mysterious light to reach me.

1…2…3… Closer…

4…5…6… Mere feet away…

7…8…9…

A figure rose from behind the light, and I recognized it instantly. How or why, that was a mystery. I reached an arm out, and called.
    He didn't stop. He walked through me, lying on the ground. A group of more glowing rays were in his path.
    Behind the rays were people. Different races, ages. Fear and determination marked on their faces.

The psychedelic blade rose, and slashed down.

"No!" I screamed. Why would he do something like this? These were innocent beings, and they had not attacked him, had they? Were they traitors?
    I knew they weren't, something deep in my mind told me that. I watched as each light was snuffed out, their being seeming to evaporate as bodies fell lifeless to the ground.

When they had all gone, the light turned to me. The man reached a hand to me, but I didn't take it. He kneeled, and began to shake me. His eyes were a sickly yellow, and my eyes stuck on the silver hilt of a lightsaber beside him. The same one I had held many times before.

He continued to shake me, and I ignored it. I let his face fade from what I hoped was a simple dream.

The brightness of the room blinded Luke as he opened his eyes. Han was above him, a twinge of worry in his normally mischievous eyes.

The grin returned to his face as he realized Luke was awake. "Hey kid. You awake now?"

Skywalker rubbed his eyes and yawned. "Yeah, Han. I just had the strangest dream though." Dread still flowed through his veins; he couldn't understand what he had seen. His father was a great warrior, and died protecting the Republic. Did he really kill innocent people?

Han was still talking, not realizing that Luke was ignoring him. "Anyway, we're at the base now, and they set up some rooms for us. You'd better hurry, because we're meeting with the Queen in half an hour." He opened a closet in the wall and dug through it. "Here. This is more presentable. Should fit you." A pile of clothing landed in Luke's lap.

"Thanks Han. I'll meet up with you in a minute." He stood and put the last of his things in his bag. Han left the room, and Luke could hear him start talking with Ben.

After changing into the clothes, he tossed the old ones into the sack. It felt odd for him to wear something other than the bland white desert wear. He looked in a mirror, and checked out his appearance. "Guess I'll have to get used to it. I don't think I'm ever going back home." Slinging his bag on his back, he walked out of the room. Ben stood, and Han turned around.

"Well, I think it's time to meet with Her Highness. Don't you think so Luke?" Han began to walk out of the room.

"Hold on, Han. I gotta turn on the droids." Luke started for the astromech and protocol droids sitting in the corner.

"Alright. I'm going to give Chewie some instructions. I want him to stay here. I'll be back in a minute." Han left, and Luke flipped the sleep switches on C-3PO and R2D2.

The golden protocol droid instantly began to ramble. "Oh goodness gracious me! What happened? I was just walking around and I don't remember anything else! I didn't miss anything, did I?"

Luke sighed, already slightly annoyed with his constant talking. "You were turned off, 3PO."

R2 made a long noise, as if he was startled.

"Calm down, R2. You heard what Master Luke said. We were just in sleep mode." The astromech interjected with a raspberry. "Don't be silly. I knew that the entire time."

"Come on you two, we have a meeting with the Queen of Alderaan." Luke patted R2's dome before he walked to the small corridor adjacent. 3PO and R2 followed close behind him.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    The group of four, plus R2 rolling behind, followed a green Twi'lek down a long hall. Eventually they came to a doorway, where the Twi'lek punched in a code. The door opened, and she bowed. "Enter, the Queen awaits you."

They walked in, and bowed to the Queen of Alderaan. She stood, her deep purple gown flooding the ground around her, and motioned for them to take a seat around a large table. "Welcome, I am Queen Breha. Please take a seat. We have a lot to discuss." She sounded anxious, and took a large breath before sitting back down.

Luke started first. "My uncle and I bought a protocol and astromech droid." He motioned to the two droids behind him. "The astromech, R2D2, wandered off in the evening. I went to find him, but was attacked by Tusken Raiders. Ben Kenobi rescued me. We went to his hut, and then R2 played a message from Princess Leia."

Shock filled the Queen's face. "Do you have this message?"

"Yes. I can show it to you." Luke motioned to R2. "Play the message, please, R2."

A small blue holo appeared on the table. It fizzled, and then an image of the Princess appeared. She was wearing a white dress with a hood, and she clasped her hands together regally.

"General Kenobi. Years ago, you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person, but my ship has fallen under attack and I'm afraid my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed. I have placed information vital to the survival of the Rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him in Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope." She looked behind her quickly. Her figure crouched and the image faded away.

Queen Breha's face was tense, and Ben could tell how emotional she was. She swallowed heavily, and looked to the old Jedi and Luke. "I will get someone to put the plans into the computer system. I apologize that you will not be able to meet with my husband, as he has been captured by the Empire as well." With another breath she seemed to regain some composure. "I invite you to stay with us. You will be a valuable asset to the Rebellion."

Luke quickly responded. "We would be honored." Han looked to Luke with a raised eyebrow. "Although my friend, Han Solo, has a client that needs to be paid."

Before he could speak, the Queen interrupted. "How much is the bounty?"

Han was a little off-put by her insight into his situation. "20,000 credits."

"In gratitude for your bringing me this important message, consider it paid. I will have someone give you the amount, and then you will be free to leave." She pressed a button on the table, and spoke a few quick orders.

"Thank you, Your Highness." Han tried to hide the growing redness in his face.

"If you don't mind, I would like to speak with Master Kenobi alone." The Queen looked at the group around her.

Luke and Han bowed slightly as they stood. "It was a pleasure to meet you, Your Highness."

She smiled in response to Luke's reply. "Please, call me Breha."

The two of them nodded simultaneously. They left the room followed by C-3PO and headed down to their quarters.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Breha walked up to Ben. "Obi-Wan! I'm so glad to see you again." She hugged him abruptly.

"It is a pleasure to see you again as well." For the first time in a long time, Obi-Wan allowed himself to smile. His blue-grey eyes turned friendly and crinkled at the corners.

"Please, take a seat again." She sat back in a chair, her aged features still held kindness from so long ago. "I have so many questions. I hope you can answer them."

Obi-Wan stroked his grey beard. "I do not have many answers. I have been living in exile for the past 19 years, I'm afraid." His wise voice had a hint of sadness.

She nodded understandingly. "Have you been watching Luke? How did you end up coming along with him?"

"Yes. I have been looking over him for the past 2 decades. I followed him when he went to find R2D2, and rescued him from the Tuskens. He showed me the message, and I told him about his father and the Force. He wanted to go back home, but Beru and Owen were killed by Stormtroopers." Ben sighed. "I have been training him for the past week. I think he will be the one to save the galaxy."

"Does he know anything yet?" The Queen's voice quieted, and she glanced to the doorway.

"No. He has been having dreams, but he does not know yet." Obi-Wan looked to Breha, his voice taking the same tone. "I told him that his father was a great
    Jedi, who died by the hand of Darth Vader. I told him nothing of a sister, or his mother. What about Leia?"

"Bail took her to see her mother in hibernation a few times, but he told her it was merely a friend." Breha sounded nervous. "We never told her she was adopted. I think she figured it out, but we never told her. She knows who you are because Bail liked to tell her of his old friends."

"That decision could be unwise, unfortunately. Darth Vader can search Leia's mind, and find her memories." Obi-Wan placed one elbow on the table, and rubbed his brow. "I hope he hasn't found the location of this base."

"Oh, no." Breha clasped a hand over her mouth. "I know now. I understand." Obi-Wan looked at her with concern, her sudden change in aura startling him. "Vader took my husband and me for interrogation. I escaped, but Bail is still there." She wrung her hands, the cold realization seeping into her voice. "He wanted Bail to tell him where she is!"

Obi-Wan instantly stood, his features grave. "Then I hope it is not too late. Do you know where she is?"

Breha stood as well, anxiously smoothing her dress. "They are most likely on Coruscant. Please, I must go with you. My husband and daughter are with him, and now, one of my very good friends."

The old Jedi nodded solemnly. "Very well. I would prefer you to stay, but it is your decision." He knew of the Queen's resolve, it was a close second to Padmé's. "It would be helpful if Han is still here, we need an un-documented ship for passage. I will get Luke and the droids."

"I will get some weapons and supplies, I'm sure we will need them." She bit her lip; her voice was full of stress. "Do you think we can leave within the hour?"

"We will have to ask Han." Obi-Wan left the room, and Breha headed for the comm that lay on the table.

"I need the Millennium Falcon fueled and a standard measure of supplies and weapons loaded on board. Within the next hour, please." She clicked the speak button off, and waited for a reply.

"Yes, milady."

"I also need my travelling outfits packed and placed onboard. Alert Mothma and Shessaun, I am heading off-planet on a mission." She did not wait for a reply; the anxiety was growing too great. She headed to her quarters, and waited for Ben to contact her.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Luke went onboard the Falcon, and was followed by Han, R2D2 and C-3PO. Han was visibly agitated; he knew he was running out of time to pay the bounty on his head. As they got on board, Han headed for the cockpit. Luke started to set up the spare quarters for the Queen.

When he was finished, he sat on the metal bench. He was more exhausted then he had ever been. Ben had only told him that they needed to save Leia and her father. It was only a guess, but Luke thought that there was another reason. Maybe something to do with my dreams.

"Master Luke, are you alright? You look quite fatigued." C-3PO stopped him from his thoughts.

"Yeah, I am tired Threepio. I'll be fine though." Luke rubbed his eyes and stood.

Ben strode into the room. "Hello Luke. The Queen will be here in a moment."

"Ben, I can't shake the feeling that we won't just save Leia and her father. I feel like something else very important is going to happen." He mumbled, almost as if he was unsure of his thoughts.

"Watch your feelings, Luke. They can decide your future." Ben took on his usual wise tone, his words cryptic.

The Queen entered, and Han came behind her. "Are we ready?"

Ben spoke up. "Indeed we are. Han, set coordinates for Coruscant."

"Alright. Everyone hold on tight." He grinned and left for the control room. Luke followed him, and Breha and Ben stayed in the living quarters.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    "You ready, kid?" Han questioned as he eased them out of the landing bay.

"Ready as I'll ever be. Let's go." Luke smiled at Han, and Chewie growled at both of them.

They soared over the deep forest for a few moments, until they exited the atmosphere. Then they were in vast space, the sky littered with sparkling stars.

"Chewie, set the hyperspace coordinates." The wookiee typed them in, and Han turned to the controls.

"Here we go!" He shoved the steering lever, and they lurched.

The stars became ethereal rays of white, and the Falcon disappeared in a speck of blue light.

yahiko, Ewok Poet, Falcon and 2 others like this.
  23. Venus_Star2-com

Venus_Star2-com Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    Yay! An Update

I cheated and read the other chapters on fanfiction.net as I couldn't wait to see what happened next!
    I can not express to you how fresh and orignal this story is. I only hope that you continue to write more and finish the story. I know that sometimes as readers we can pester you and sometimes stuff happens in our life that writing takes a back seat but I implore you to continue this story

Rachel

24. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    I loved what you called a short interlude. :D

Well, can wait were Luke´s vision, because it was more than a usual dream, might lead him to.

Like his interaction with Han here!

25. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    Hello again. :)

Reading this story a second time has been a true delight. It thrives once more, as predicted.

I really enjoy your unique writing style, Volshe. It's quite descriptive without using an excessive amount of words. The way you convey emotion is truly striking, and it speaks to the reader.

Once again, the third chapter stands out as an emotional force. 'Reunited' moved me tremendously. The exchange between Padme and Vader was pure brilliance. She's actually scared of him now, and with good reason. The rage was apparent when Vader found out about the twins. "...his eyes were a swirl of fire." Nice touch! :D

Thanks for sharing such an original tale. I'm looking forward to more. Keep up the great work. =D=

~epi3

Ewok Poet and Admiral Volshe like this.