main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - PT She Will Weep (Vig)--Padme hears about Anakin's "death"--For the Missing Scene Roulette Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by leiamoody, Nov 22, 2007.

1. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Title: She Will Weep
    Author(s): leiamoody
    Timeframe: Just before ROTS
    Characters: Padme, Motee, Anakin (mentioned)
    Genre: Angst, Vignette
    Summary: Padme must come to terms with some distressing news.
    Notes: Written for The Missing Scene Roulette Challenge.

The missing scene I was given:
    In ROTS when Anakin and Padme are reunited, she mentions rumors that he had been killed. Your scene: Padme hears Anakin was killed.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "My lady, are you all right?"

Padme's arms were encircled tightly around her swollen belly. The babies felt the disturbance, too, or so it seemed as they twisted and turned. Mother and children united both felt the passing of Anakin.

"We must get you to the doctor." Motee grasped her arm.

Padme collapsed to the floor. "No!"

The first whispers had emerged at the Cantham House gathering two nights ago. One of the younger and stupid junior aides working with Bail had made the pronouncement, in a particularly loud tone meant to attract attention. "It has just come across on Channel One. Anakin Skywalker is dead."

One of Mothma's pretty little things had gasped, almost spilling her last bit of Whyren's Reserve on the carpet. "Don't be ridiculous, Nimes. We heard that same rumor about Yoda two weeks ago."

The Alderaani boy stood tall. Under the gentle gleam of golden candlelight, the aide was a fiend. "My dear, I swear on the Holy Relics. It was on the Coruscant News Network. If they aren't reliable, then who would be?"

At that moment, Padme had wanted to charge across the room and push the idiot against the wall. Anakin, dead? And he seemed proud of the fact, somehow. But she stayed fixed in her seat, and dug her fingernails deep into the voluminous burgundy robe surrounding her great secret. To show any reaction, especially distress, would pull away the curtain and reveal the truth. No one could know...

She had been in a daze since that night. Multiple calls to the Chancellor's office went unanswered. The network refused to deny their initial report, though they admitted it was based on unconfirmed eyewitness accounts. So she couldn't know what was real, or otherwise.

Meanwhile, the rumor, or fact, or whatever it was supposed to be, spread around the Senate. From the mouths of clerks to the ears of her colleagues, no one could resist spreading gossip. And they all looked at her whenever they uttered those malicious words. When she stared them in the eye, they would quickly turn away, or fumble for some activity that made them appear innocent.

"Let Shiraya remember him. She will weep for your loss." Motee's voice glided forth into Padme's awareness. "For she is also the goddess of mourning as well as the moon."

Her stomach wrenched once again. The children knew their father was gone. They were alone now...so alone. Just her and two infants, helpless against the inevitable.

"Lady, come with me." The handmaiden brushed her hand against Padme's cloak. "We can ask the Goddess' blessing. She will grace you with peace."

What was she rambling on about? Faith in the invisible was no good. If Shiraya or the Force or anything else could not save Anakin, then it was pointless to pray.

"There's nothing left," Padme murmured.

"You shall endure with time."

"I won't!" Another spasm rose up from her womb. Grief would cause the babies to arrive too soon. She hoped Anakin would be allowed to return before her confinement. So much time had passed since their last reunion: back then, she hadn't known of the pregnancy. Odd bouts of nausea were caused by terrible meals from the 500 Republica kitchens. The intense fatigue was the result of worry over the growing rebellious sentiments within the anti-war faction. Until she finally made time to see the doctor, Padme had never considered the possibility of a future child as the source of the physical troubles that had followed her every day...until the revelation.

"You're pregnant," Doctor Serliss said. The sun was bright that morning, so the windows in his office were tinted against the glare. It was beautiful. There was nothing to fear. Not at first, anyway. She was too enthralled by the miracle of the conception. Twins, how extraordinary! Even though she had kept up with her shots, and so had Anakin. An occurrence she had only dared to hope might occur in a near yet distant future after the war had ceased. These were perilous days in which to bring new life. But mortals never planned miracles.

At that moment, in those first precious days, she could believe in the Force. All was good in the purity of this validation of their union. Surely they were blessed.

Now she had the answer. These offspring were a curse. Without Anakin, they would only remind her of the destiny that would never unfold. She was alone, bereft.

"What shall I do?" Padme whispered.

"My lady, you must not focus on such concerns. You will be protected, and so will your heirs. But you need faith all shall be well."

Padme coughed. Now the pain spread from her mind to her chest...towards her heart. Heartbreak, yes; anguish caused by love. Attachment truly was dangerous if it always led to death.

"The Jedi-"Padme choked back another sob. "They're right."

"I don't understand," Motee replied.

"You wouldn't." Now the tears were coming less to her eyes. Pain was melting into sadness.

Padme touched the pendant given to her by a young boy on Tatooine. If only she had never loved him, then she never could have known the feeling of her soul shattered into jagged pieces.

But then she wouldn't have these unborn blessings if she had never fallen in love. Yes, love was pain, but love was also joy. Heartbreak could also be something more bright and peaceful. Could it not? Surely, it must be true. Wasn't there something more to the universe that granted mercy even in the midst of suffering?

Perhaps it might help to ask for Shiraya's intervention. Maybe, maybe, there might be a means to discern another truth. Nothing was certain about Anakin's fate. Could the midichlorians in the twins' blood give her a window into the heart of the Divine's inner sight and prove the rumors false?

Another flutter moved up from her belly, and warmth spread outward to her palm. Yes, that was the answer.

"Let us pray. It might do some good."

2. JediMasterJessica

JediMasterJessica Jedi Master star 3

Jul 26, 2005
    Awww, that's so sad. Teared me up a little. I would love to see her find out that Anakin is not dead.

3. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Man, talk about bad news.

And of course bad news never lacks for people to spread it.:(

I guess this is where Padme's rollercoaster began. Poor woman.

You've written her well.

-rat

4. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    At that moment, Padme had wanted to charge across the room and push the idiot against the wall. Anakin, dead? And he seemed proud of the fact, somehow.

I wanted to punch the idiot too... Very emotional writing, as always.

=D= =D= =D=

5. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Elegantly done. I love the touch of the gossip mongers. That does seem to be the case, doesn't it?

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Very moving missing scene.... Padme's totally in character: courageous, sensitive, composed enough to guard their secret. =D=

7. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    :_|:_|

That was so devastating.

Poor Padme. I admire her determination to keep her secret and her strength but :_| :_|

How sad she didn't have anyone to open up to and mourn with.

Now, I'll have to comfort myself by re-watching the reunion scene :)

Great response to the challenge

=D= =D= =D= =D=

8. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    A very moving piece. =D= Well done.

9. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    Coruscant News Network, CNN, huh? Interesting choice there...

This was very moving, and some people (beings?) are really obnoxious, aren't they?

Nicely done, poor Padme, unable to show anyone her feelings on the matter.

10. yodas_waiter

yodas_waiter Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2006
    That was a great missing scene. My favourite part was the Aldeeranian almost bragging about Anakin's death simply to gain attention. What a way to get some bad news! I also like how you juxtaposed the day she found out about her pregnancy and her feelings then with her situation now. Well done =D=