main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Sherlock - new BBC series from Steven Moffat

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Trailer here.

A modern day take on Sherlock Holmes, under the baton of Steven "Doctor Who" Moffat. First part airs this Sunday.

I. Can't. WAIT! :D

Random Comments likes this.
  2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It does look good, and it's written by a good writer. I expect good thing from this series.
    Benedict Cumberbatch is a fine actor, he should make a good Holmes.

3. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I'll certainly give it a go. You know Moffat will put a lot of good dialogue in there, and some smart plots.

4. Jobo

Jobo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2000
    I've only seen Blink from Dr. Who, but that's more than enough to convince me to watch this series. I'll be there! Does anyone know if it's airing on BBCA, or should I acquire it through other means? (by which I mean, of course, my British friends sending me VHS recordings of it. Cough cough.)
    _jOBO

5. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    DVDs are easier to mail :p

6. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    The actor seems to be portraying him as a British House, who is of course an American Holmes played by a British actor.

7. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    This is funny, because in the 2004 comedy series "Fortysomething" Benedict Cumberbatch (who plays Sherlock) played Hugh Laurie's character's oldest son. :p

8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I enjoyed it. Martin Freeman was especially good as Watson.

9. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Oh goody another series starring a younger, hipper version of a beloved character. Steven Mo' Fat ruined Doctor Who for me, and now this. Look at that jackass. He looks like a frakking emo kid. Looks like a young Tim Burton. Or a freaking vampire. Unlikable brat, I hope an anvil crushes his stupid head. I find this to be despicable crap and I hate it I hate it I hate it ooooooh aaaaaggghhh aaaarrrrrggggghhhh

10. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    o_O You're being sarcastic, right?

11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Sadly, he's not.

12. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Just finished watching it. Love it, love it, love it, it's brilliant. :D Benedict Cumberbatch's Holmes is definitely a cross between the Doctor and Gregory House (quite possibly because of the resemblance to Hugh Laurie... :p), but I actually find him more Holmes-ish than Robert Downey Jr.'s Holmes. :p (The music was quite similar to the film, though...) And I think the modern setting is very refreshing. The idea with text messages (and sometimes Holmes' observations) being displayed on screen for the viewers is GENIUS, makes the whole thing almost interactive.

And of course, the writing is awesome, but that was to be expected, as it's Moffat stuff. :p My favourite bits:

Holmes: "Shut up."
    Lestrade: "I didn't say anything."
    Holmes: "You were thinking. It's annoying."

Watson: "That... was amazing."
    Holmes: "Do you think so?"
    Watson: "Of course it was. It was extraordinary, quite... extraordinary."
    Holmes: "It's not what people normally say."
    Watson: "What do people normally say?"
    Holmes: "'Piss off.'"

Watson: "Is that three patches?"
    Holmes: "It's a three-patch problem."

Holmes: "Did he offer you money to spy on me?"
    Watson: "Yes."
    Holmes: "Did you take it?"
    Watson: "No."
    Holmes: "Pity, we could've split the fee. Think it through next time."

Watson: "Why didn't I think of that?"
    Holmes: "Because you're an idiot. No no no, don't be offended at that, practically everyone is."

Holmes: "He is the British government, when he's not too busy being the British Secret Service or the CIA on a freelance basis... Good evening, Mycroft. Try not to start a war before I get home, you know what it does to the traffic..."

The only negative thing is that there are only three episodes of this... :(

Also, the bit where Holmes realises it was a cabbie was too stretched out, it took him too much time to deduce that - I knew it would be a cabbie when they sat in that cafe and saw the guy in the taxi. :p

13. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Damn straight.

I agree Mar, it was excellent. I must admit I didn't think about the cabbie until he made himself known to Holmes.

EDIT: I'll be honest, I thought it was a cut above the Moffat written episodes of Doctor Who this year.

14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I think my favorite line was
    Holmes: "Anderson, don't talk out loud. You reduce the IQ of everyone on the street."

I guessed the cabbie before he made himself known, but only because of the few similarities between this episode and A Study in Scarlet. :p

15. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I sincerely hope there are a few more Anderson/Holmes exchanges in the next two episodes.

16. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It was a very good new adaptation, I was impressed.

All cast members did very well, especially Martin Freeman & Benedict Cumberbatch.

Nice to see Mycroft Holmes make an appearance (although I'm still convinced that he will turn out to be Moriarty) and the tension between he and Sherlock seemed very much like a brotherly feud.

17. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I agree. But then again, it's adult drama, as opposed to kids/family television...

That one, too! :p And: "I'm in shock. Look, I've got a blanket!" [face_laugh]

18. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    [paraphrasing]

"...you mean it actually is a childish feud?" :p

19. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Sure, but Blink and The Girl in the Fireplace (loathe as I am to bring them up again!) were better than anything so far mentioned!

20. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    That's true, too. But I'm sometimes wondering if people expect too much from Moffat. Yes, he's a brilliant writer. But his stories can't all be teh best evar. :p Him being the head writer and producer of DW, he's got a lot more on his plate than when he was only one of the writers. And really, complaining that "his new episodes aren't as good as Blink was" is like saying "oh, that's not 99%, that's only 95%..." :p

21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I always rated The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances & The Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead as better than The Girl in the Fireplace. I've always regarded that as Moffat's weakest episode when he was under RTD.

Moffat's take on Holmes works as a modern update I think because, as he himself said, Conan Doyle never wrote it as a period piece. It was set at the time when it was written so the characters shouldn't be too hard to transplant to the modern day.

22. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I'm not really complaining about his new episodes not being as good as Blink et al, but I am complaining about Holmes being better than his efforts for Matt Smith. I suppose I'm wondering if he is the right man to be helming Doctor Who, if his writing on the show is going to suffer as a result of his additional duties.

I wonder when Sherlock was written in relation to Doctor Who.

It'll also be interesting to see if episode two (not written by Moffat) is as good.

23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    *faints*

24. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Fair point. I think they should separate the roles of Head Producer and Head Writer. Have the Head Writer only concern himself with the writing of the stories, and overseeing the series' story arc(s), and have the Head Producer take charge of the technicalities of the actual production.

25. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I've always been of the opinion that villains make a story, and of the creepy villains Moffat has made for his episodes, I regard the Clockwork Robots as the worst ones. The Vashda Narada and the Gasmask Child are far better, as are the Weeping Angels.

The second episode of Sherlock isn't written by Russel T Davies is it?
    Because then there will be some sort of awkward and unnecessary sex thrown into it, probably between Holmes & Watson :p