main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Sherlock - new BBC series from Steven Moffat

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    No.

2. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I know Sherlock isn't the most subtle of programmes but... erm... she isn't a face I expected to turn up in this show. Let's put it that way.

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Well, lesson learned; never watch that episode while alone in the dark. I might have to go watch some Disney or My Little Ponies right now.

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    The discussion re: the hound progressed whilst I was at work. Thus, although nobody may be up for responding I feel obliged to have my say. Behold:

My tweet after the show commented that a poor CGI hound marred the show. And this is perfectly correct. It did. We went from a really really really really really amazing piece of television to merely a really really really really amazing piece of television. To be honest, maybe only one letter of the word 'really' needs to be exorcised from the first rating, or maybe only a serif or two. Whatever the measurement, it was a minor criticism and was (I think) obviously leveled as such in this thread... where fully formed opinions are presented. Unlike Twitter, which is where snatches of opinion parade out of context on an hourly basis. My tweet is clearly not the only aspect of my opinion and should not be taken as such. But it did comment upon the hound, so maybe I should've posted a second tweet underlining how much I enjoyed the episode. But then I would've been open to the accusation of focusing half of my attention on the hound. Still not adequately balanced. So I wonder... how many positive tweets do I need to lay down before I am permitted to comment upon the single negative thing I saw? Hmmm? ;)

Nobody here is letting the hound ruin the episode for them, nobody here is focusing purely on the negative aspects of the show. All that's happening is that a few people think the hound was a weak link in an otherwise wondrous 90 minutes. If anybody is overstating a situation, hal, it's you (it seems) trying desperately to infer that criticism of the hound - a reasonable observation - is some sort of unreasonable punch to Sherlock's chops. That somehow we're not seeing everything else. When it's quite obviously not, and we quite obviously are.

You said you didn't like the Moriarty references and that's the end of it. But why? We all know we all loved the episode - so let's discuss your objections to them. Discussing things that irk us in Sherlock doesn't mean that in penance we have to repeatedly state our affection toward the show lest we and the thread be dragged together into some hitherto unknown level of Hell. Discuss what you like, discuss what you don't. We are allowed to discuss both side of the coin. In fact, this is SUCH a good show that - in a funny sort of way - the isolated negatives will tend to become the focus of discussion. After all, this is a discussion board and it's harder to sustain an agreement in the medium than it is a disagreement. When something sticks out as bad in Sherlock - everyone thinks "Oh, that's bad." They're kinda shocked, to be honest (I was) - so high are the standards the show sets itself and routinely achieves. It's no surprise, therefore, that the hound has come to dominate the immediate aftermath of the broadcast.

So yeah... I've been very clear indeed, the show was absolutely amazing but the hound was a let down.

Or if you prefer... the hound was so terrible, so outrageously awful, I simply cannot bring myself to comment upon any positive aspect of the show. To be honest, I'm not sure there were any and will be boycotting the last episode in protest. I suggest you all do the same. ;)

5. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I have faith in her. She's great in The IT Crowd, and was too in The Boat That Rocked. Sherlock is a step up, of course, and a different genre... but I think she can deliver.

6. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I actually preferred her in TBTR (I think that role really suited her, she was perfect) - in the IT Crowd she often seemed to me a bit over the top. And I've never seen her in a drama role, so I really have no idea what to expect. :)

7. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Yeah she was great in TBTR. But then, it's one of my favourite films anyway. :p

8. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Mine, too, but that's not surprising, because SIXTIES [face_love] and ROCK'N'ROLL [face_love] and Rhys Ifans [face_love].

:p

9. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Agreed on the first SIXTIES and ROCK AND ROLL... will take your word for it on Ifans. :p

Such a great soundtrack.

10. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I admit I've never heard of her.

Oh, and thoughts forthcoming on the episode. Still not sure when, though. 8-}

11. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Looking forward to it! :cool:

Anyway... BIG SHERLOCK RELATED NEWS!!!!!!! MASSIVE, MASSIVE NEWS!!!!!!!

HTR for those who don't want to know... but I was sifting through the Radio Times and noticed the cast listing for The Reichenbach Fall....

Anderson is back!!!

[face_dancing]

12. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

13. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I did say why. It worked brilliantly as a standalone episode. Moffatt has a habit of shoehorning "arcs" into every episode of his serieseses when it just isn't necessary. So it was a disappointment. But it wasn't the first (and only) thing I tweeted about it ;)

Anyway, let's talk about how great the mind palace was. Brilliant scene. Really showed the workings of his mind.

14. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Agree with this. It's almost like a nervous tick. Still, I did think the hallucinatory Moriarty was fine.

EDIT: Hound Dog.

15. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    The hallucinatory one was certainly much more acceptable than the epilogue.

Also I didn't realise at all that it was Russell Tovey in the episode. I was so engaged in the character and the writing that it completely passed me by.

16. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I certainly began to form an idea that Night Terrors was a half-assed job in comparison.

17. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Ok, I am embarrassed to ask this but I can't remember.

What was the significance of UMQRA?

18. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    It's what gave Sherlock the idea that hound might be H.O.U.N.D.

Just watched it this afternoon. Loved it. Maybe even more than Scandal in Belgravia.

CG dog wasn't particularly bad, simply because it was a hallucination, which would probably look like crappy CG.

19. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    But why was it being flashed in morse code? Did Watson just get the letters wrong?

20. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Wasn't it just a couple having sex in a car, accidentally flashing the headlights?

21. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Ah yes. Though if I understand dogging, it wasn't accidental ;)

Plus if I remember, the flashing beacon was an element of the original story.

This is why this episode worked. It's the perfect example of how to update a classic Holmes story. The ethos of the show is to modernize Holmes, and whilst last week failed to do that, this one hit the nail on the head.

22. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    YESSSSS!!!!! :D :D :D Sherlock's (and my) favourite intellectual punching bag! :p

23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I seriously can't wait to hear the put downs! :p

24. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Den of Geeks Spoiler-Free Review of The Reichenbach Fall

"Writer Steve Thompson, the man behind series one?s The Blind Banker, was tasked with sculpting The Final Problem into ninety minutes of exciting, emotional drama, and you?ll be relieved to know he?s done a tremendous job.

Any qualms that might have been held about Moffat and Gatiss not delivering the script for this one themselves should be forgotten by the time the credits roll. That said, if it?s even possible to disentangle the two, The Reichenbach Fall is an episode where the performances eclipse the writing.
    "

25. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I wonder what that is. For some reason, Mozart's "Dies Irae" was the first thing I thought of when I read the review.

But anyway: Sounds very promising. Especially all the praise about Freeman's Watson.

CAN'T. WAIT. :D