Amph Sherlock - new BBC series from Steven Moffat

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    You just had to put the mental image in my mind, didn't you? [face_plain]
  2. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    I may have given you a heads up, seeing as there are rumours Guy Ritchie apparently wants to have Holmes & Watson kiss in his next Sherlock Holmes film :p
  3. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Jesse's becoming the new Willy-C.
  4. Mustafar_66 Force Ghost

star 5
    Bloody loved it. Can't wait for next Sunday. The BBC is doing really well with it's drama at the moment. Sherlock, Being Human, Dr Who and Merlin are all good and I'm intrigued by The Deep, which is on next week.
  5. Kiki-Gonn Chosen One

star 6
    I've got definite reservations about the concept but would still be happy to check it out
  6. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    You seem suprised, don't the BBC normally make good dramas?

It is, after all, what they are famous for (along with wildlife documentaries).
  7. Mustafar_66 Force Ghost

star 5
    They don't tend to normally come along all at once like this and in such quantity. Plus, as soon as one goes into its pre-season another one is on to fill the void. It's fantastic.
  8. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    About time too, I could do with good TV to watch.
  9. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
  10. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    Guess I'm the only one who thought it was a little dry. Will definately watch the others though all the same.
  11. Espaldapalabras Force Ghost

star 5
    Just saw the pilot. It is definitely channeling House, but I can't decide how much is that is just simply the fact House is channeling Sherlock.

And since I'm bored by formulaic nature House has ended up in, a return to London and crime drama isn't a bad thing.

I only spent a week in London last December, but one thing I like is that the show somehow does capture the feeling of modern London. Because not every show or movie can really capture the feeling of somewhere like New York or L.A.
  12. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Well it wasn't st underwater, if that's what you mean.
  13. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Not as impressed with this episode. Infact, quite a lot not as impressed.

Hopefully by tomorrow all interested parties will have seen it.
  14. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    It wasn't as good as last week I thought, but I didn't think there was too much wrong with it.

It moved at a slower pace than last week, but it was an interesting Chinese symbol deduction plotline. I certainly wouldn't have guessed an A-Z as the book to look for, that was clever I thought.
    Holmes seems to be quite the fighter, perhaps the writing team are taking a leaf out of the recent movie portrait of the character.

I wasn't sure how Mr M was going to be linked to it all, having him tagged on the end seemed a bit unnecessary. Obviously he's controlling everything, I wonder how much will be revealed about him in next week's final episode.
  15. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    I agree, not as top-notch as the last week's episode (understandable, as it wasn't written by the Moff), but still very enjoyable. Although it was a bit slow in places.

I liked the cipher game, it seemed like a cross between The Dancing Men and The Five Orange Pips.

As for Holmes' action - well, it's all in the original stories, really. Holmes is known as a very decent boxer and swordsman. It's only natural that they've updated it for the modern setting and the modern storytelling (although in the RDJ film the action WAS a bit overplayed).

And I originally thought that the book was the telephone book. Close enough. :p

Oh, and I miss Anderson. There was a palpable absence of a scapegoat for Holmes's abuse. :p Not as many memorable quotes here, either - again, caused by the lack of Moff. :p

EDIT: Also, this series is making me miss London... :(
    Random Comments likes this.
  16. Jedi_Reject_Jesse Force Ghost

star 7
    Just saw the first episode.

It was very good.
  17. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Three of three just finished.

Not written by Moffat, but it was a return to form. IMO, better than the opener.
  18. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Mark Gatiss is a fine writer as was evident in this final episode.

The revelation of Moriarty being someone we've already seen but would overlook was clever, as was still hiding exactly what job he has that allows him such ability to find and watch people and get jobs done without having to them himself(his similarity to Mycroft in that extent I assume was designed to make people assume they may be the same person).

As Conan Doyle himself wrote - "He is the Napoleon of Crime, Watson, the organiser of half that is evil and nearly all that is undetected in this great city..."

I look forward to the next series. But it should have more episodes and I think therefore would also be better if the episodes were an hour each.
  19. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    I hope they stick with the 90 minute format. Allows it to breathe. Each tale is so complex, so the longer format gives the story and audience room to sink into the environment and characters. Squish it to an hour and you'd have to go with simpler stories or no character moments.

As for there being only three episodes, I'd say that if that's all they feel they can do to maintain the quality, then so be it. Quality over quantity. Even in this short run, the middle episode was by far the weakest, meaning a two from three hit-rate. I'd hate to see them have to produce six, or eight, and feel obliged to put in comparative filler episodes, or stretch three episodes of strong material out over six - meaning none hit the expected heights. I accept that three episodes might be a quirk of commissioning, but that 'cloud' has had a whacking great silver lining.

Burn brightly, but for a short time.
  20. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    I enjoyed the episode, but I thought the ending was cheap considering the short run of the series.
  21. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    I HATED the cliffhanger at the end!
  22. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Why the cliffhanger hate?

I loved it!
  23. Lord Vivec Chosen One

star 7
    I'm so angry at myself for not guessing Moriarty's identity in the beginning.

Also I loved the episode. Wasn't as witty as the first, but it was loads better than the second.
  24. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    I hated it, because it was pure EVIL, giving us a cliffhanger like that and leaving us waiting for the next year to see more episodes. [face_frustrated]

:p

Seriously, it was awesome. The mysteries game was interesting to watch; it was nice to see Lestrade again; and I LOVED the references with the tie-in websites! (I checked thescienceofdeduction.co.uk and johnwatsonblog.co.uk yesterday. Pretty cool, with comments and everything :p) I must say I half-expected Moriarty to be Mycroft, but his appearance at the beginning without us knowing who he really was was nice. Although the casting choice was a bit distracting for me, because the actor played Paul McCartney in "Lennon Naked" and I sort of had him "fixed" in that part, so when he walked in in that lab scene I went "OMG it's Paul!" and kept grinning stupidly. :p

And I'm torn between "I WANTZ MOAR!!!1!111!!!" and "Quality over quantity, sometimes less is more, as long as the bar remains high"... :p

Also, Benedict Cumberbatch is hawt. [face_love]
  25. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    BBC have announced just 3 more episodes next Autumn