main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Sherlock - new BBC series from Steven Moffat

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, Jul 21, 2010.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Very slightly disappointing. I was hoping for late summer, but autumn's not really much different. And I was starting to wonder if they were even going to be ready to film in January anyway. Gatiss said he'd finished his script in October, but we'd heard nothing about the others and it kind of seems like they're still working on Doctor Who... so yeah, much better to delay everything a couple months and do it right than rush it.

Plus, my guess is that one or both of them will be busy doing some extra stuff for The Hobbit in January. I'm presuming that's the scheduling thing. I wouldn't be surprised if Star Trek Into Darkness also has some pickups.

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Slightly disappointing, but not surprising in the least. Good for Freeman and Cumberbatch that they're getting more in demand.

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    LOL @ caedus. The thread is upped for news and he doesn't see it.

Random Comments likes this.
  4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I'll just leave this here.:

5. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Lightest....hyperlink....ever.

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I admit, our default link color on xenforo doesn't stick out enough at all.

Still, lol @ there actually being news and you missing it :p

7. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm wondering if it's actually Benedict and Martin's schedules that are clashing or if it's Moffat's, given the other show he runs is supposed to be filming a certain celebratory episode early in 2013.

8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Maybe a mix of the two?

Chewgumma likes this.
  9. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm sort of disappointed. I hope that PBS shows them soon after their BBC air date, but I doubt that'll happen.

10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Let's be honest, unless they show them same day, they're pretty much asking for piracy.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I just got into this show recently, great stuff. Considering the gap between the first two series, I'm not surprised at all by this announcement.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Which means it'll be summer of 2014 before it gets played in the states.

13. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    That seems the bigger let down, PBS probably won#t be airing them until early 2014 at this point.

Unless, of course, you weren't planning on waiting that long anyway.[face_whistling]

14. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, is it still piracy when you download it right after it airs in the UK, because you don't want to wait (or, like me, you don't have a way to legally watch it), and when the BluRay/DVD comes out you buy it anyway? I don't see what's morally wrong with that. You still end up paying for it...

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    PBS probably would (or the following Sunday) if BBC let them. :p

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    TV downloads are a tricky area. It's still technically piracy, but its never prosecuted. It's a particularly hard case to make when it airs on free public channels in both the US and UK. So it's free over the air.

And yeah, I actually really hate piracy that takes money from someone. But yes, I buy each series on blu ray so from a moral standpoint I feel totally fine with it.

And let's not forget that the PBS versions are edited. The artistic integrity of the show is also important, so even if it aired here the same day I would still download the unedited one.

17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    IIRC they were edited down like two or three minutes. Yeah, annoying, but not really devastating.

And it's not PBS's fault they need to list their sponsors either. Write to your Congressman and request that the CPB get more funding so it can be the sole sponsor of public broadcasting. :D

18. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    So according to a tweet from Sue Vertue, the delay in filming to March is simply due to availability reasons and is not expected to affect any likely transmission dates.

19. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Producer Sie Vertue confirmed the production delay, but says it shouldn't impact transmission dates. Hope it stays that way.

As for the piracy discussion, Mar and I have discussed this, especially in the context of living in smaller countries. I'll have s longer post later when I'm on my laptop rather than iPhone.

20. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm going to buy it on Blu Ray the day it comes out, so I don't plan on waiting. Although, didn't PBS do something with Downton Abbey that let people who donated a certain amount get a DVD to see the episodes before their air date? I'm pretty sure I overheard that last Sunday. Maybe they'll do something similar for Sherlock.

21. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    But when are the likely transmission dates Sue? That's what we're all desperate to know! :_|

22. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    BBC isn't technically free, there's a license fee. I actually really wish I could pay the license fee, or some kind of fee, and get full access to iPlayer even from outside the country. As it is, I just have a program that fakes a British IP so that I can watch it if I need to.

I understand having a problem with piracy that takes money from people, and there are definitely cases where it's clear cut, but the line is also becoming more and more blurred as time goes by. I'd say with music it's still pretty obvious, but with TV and some movies it can be really hard to discern why or whether downloading is affecting anyone at all.

23. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I've no problem with downloading something that I'm going to buy anyway. Doctor Who, Sherlock, Downton Abbey. That all seems perfectly - if not above board - justifiable (even though they air here I like to have an electronic copy). Having said that, I do download TV shows that won't air here for ages after showing in the USA and don't ever look like getting a DVD / BR release. Korra is probably the best example.

I saw an interview with Hugh Bonneville. He's made it a personal mission to talk about this as often as he can, I think. He knows how annoyed Downton Abbey fans in the States get that they show airs months after the UK premiere and wants desperately for the window to be closed. The only problem with his argument is that it seems to be based on the idea that you'll get a better quality experience watching it on TV than you would watching a download. Well, Hugh, 'illegal' HD downloads of TV shows are of a very high standard these days and in Downton's case allow people to watch without commercial breaks. That makes it a better experience.

And yet there are so many people over here determined to see the licence fee as a terrible burden. [face_frustrated]

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, I know there's a license fee. But I agree that I wish I could play it and get access to iPlayer. I would. I tried a VPN for a UK IP but couldn't get any connections fast enough to stream. It seems like the BBC would be able to make some money charging foreigners for the service.

I didn't blame PBS. But considering that the stuff they cut (which was more like 5-7 minutes) was some of my favorite stuff and things I thought were great character scenes, yeah, it really does matter to me.

25. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I would LOVE to pay the BBC license fee if it meant I would be able to legally watch it online here in Slovakia. Why the damn regional block?! If I were in the UK, I'd simply watch it on TV. Duh.