Amph Sherlock - new BBC series from Steven Moffat

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, Jul 21, 2010.

1. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Yeah, that person has no official connection, it's just a fan page. I'll stick with official sources. As of a couple weeks ago, Martin Freeman mentioned on Colbert that they're shooting in March. So I'm not worried yet.
  2. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    I hope you're right! I wouldn't want to wait another year!
  3. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    I don't think they probably do, either. They're both very busy, yes, but they also love doing the show. I would hope that they'd all take the relatively small amount of time out to get it done. So long as the scripts are ready, I hope it's not put off again. But like I said, I don't think it will be.
  4. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    I'd guess that BC and MF would have their respective schedules in place on at least a quarterly basis? So if Freeman was prepared to discuss March in public only a couple of weeks ago I'd take that as a good sign it's firmly on his. Plus, a few months out wouldn't crew and production staff preparations be well underway - perhaps past the point of no return? Booking locations, the studio space and time, etc, etc...
  5. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    There's no such thing as the point of no return. Things get canceled all the time, sometimes even after they start shooting (though that's pretty rare). The crew does need some time to prepare, but I can tell you if this were a US TV show, they would get max 2 weeks to do all of the pre-production on an episode. Usually it's only one week. And yes, I know these are twice as long, which is why I said two weeks. But I'm just saying, our production teams on Mad Men had a week to find, secure, and design 60s decor for all the locations and/or sets in an episode. They had to get a restaurant dressed to be a Howard Johnson's in a couple hours. Things move much, much faster in TV than film.

My guess is they're a lot slower in the UK, though. US TV production is insane. So even given that, I'd say they probably only really need about 4 weeks to prepare. I won't truly feel comfortable until they actually begin shooting, just because this whole thing has been so hard to schedule. But as of now, the official word is that it's going ahead in March and I don't think we should be worried by random people's posts on facebook ;)
    Last edited by solojones, Jan 7, 2013
    Everton likes this.
  6. Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost

star 4
    Just popped in here to express my admiration for Benedict Cumberbatch. It's become kind of a running joke at our house. My girl has a thing for Thor, so I cut out a ton of pictures of him from Sci-Fi magazines and stuck them to her side of the headboard. She retaliated by cutting out pictures of Sherlock and sticking them to my side. I'm having a custom engagement ring made because of this.
    Random Comments likes this.
  7. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Haha, brilliant. Yeah I mean all fangirl anything aside, Benedict Cumberbatch is definitely one of my favorite all around actors and is truly one of the most talented actors I've seen. Combine that with the brilliant way Sherlock's written and how can you not love him? One of my friend's husbands has a big mancrush on him as well.
  8. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    I have a confession to make: after seeing "The Hollow Crown", Tom Hiddleston is now fighting Benedict Cumberbatch for the position of my top celebrity crush. [face_blush]
  9. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Somehow I think he'll survive it :p
  10. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    It's the jacket, isn't it? :p
  11. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    The jacket and the profile. =P~
  12. yankee8255 Chosen One

star 6
    Just finished reading Hound (thus the new avatar). I'd always wondered why people slammed the TV episode so much, clearly it wasn't as good as others, but I thought it still quite good. Now that I've read the book, though, I understand the negative reactions completely, the TV episode comes no where near the brilliance of the book.

I think that may be the first negative thing I've ever said about the show, btw.
  13. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Wash your mouth out! :p
    Random Comments likes this.
  14. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    No idea what the issue is. I thought the episode was great.
  15. Juliet316 SFTC Winner

star 8
    book spoilers (open)
    Besides the lack of the villian eating it in quicksand?
  16. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    So did I.
  17. Todd the Jedi Mod and Inquisitor of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    I didn't like the guy with the big ears. Alonso or whatever. :p

I think a lot of the complaints revolve around it being so self-contained, with nothing to do with Moriarty, since he was the big thing of the past two episodes. I liked it well enough, and though it pulled off some nail-biting suspense very well.
  18. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    Hahaha aww leave Alonso alone. First he has a traumatic childhood experience then he almost dies on the Titanic. Not his fault.
    solojones and Mar17swgirl like this.
  19. Juliet316 SFTC Winner

star 8
    Then he changes his name to George and accidentally becomes a werewolf.
    Mar17swgirl likes this.
  20. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I actually like that it does not involved Moriarty at all. The entire show does not need to be fixated on that. Going away from the conflict with Moriarty for a while and coming back to it helps keep it fresh and interesting.
  21. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    And even in that episode, Moriarty was subtly present - as Sherlock's hallucination.
  22. yankee8255 Chosen One

star 6
    I didn't have a problem with the lack of Moriarity, tend to agree with Strilo that it's better that not every plot ends up being tied to him somehow. Just thought the plot wasn't quite up to the standards of the other episodes, and no where near as good as the plot in the book, which I found brilliant.
    NYCitygurl likes this.
  23. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    The only thing that used to bother me about the episode was the setting - not London. It felt odd; I missed the regular haunts... but now watching it is like a cool vacation.
  24. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    The thing is, even in this show, the plot is not always the whole thing. The plot of A Study in Pink is extremely easy to figure out, and spends an entire 20 minutes on one scene. But the focus of the episode was on Sherlock, John, and the beginnings of their friendship and Sherlock's interaction with Moriarty.

I agree that Hounds isn't as good as the other series 2 eps, but I still think it's better than, say, The Blind Banker. It has an interesting exploration of some of Sherlock's flaws and really hits on John's frustrations with Sherlock, which wind up being important in Reichenbach. I agree the plot was super easy to figure out. Like Pink, I solved it about halfway through. But there are still some character things in it that are really interesting and worthwhile.
    Miana Kenobi likes this.
  25. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    Not to break up a serious conversation, but this image I think broke my brain.

[IMG]