Amph Sherlock - new BBC series from Steven Moffat

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Juliet316 Streak for Colors Bonanza Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    Thank you for breaking everybody else's brains with this.:(
    Random Comments likes this.
  2. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    What is wrong with you.
  3. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
    Tumblr is a dark and scary place. :(
  4. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    I'm quite glad to avoid it unless linked to something decent there... which is a rarity.
  5. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    My eeeeyyyyeeeessss!

I agree with yankee. Hound was okay, but it wan't nearly as good as the other episodes of series 2. Which won't stop me from watching it a million times :p
    yankee8255 likes this.
  6. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    In other news, Vinnie Jones was awesome in Elementary.
  7. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
    I kinda want to watch Elementary but feel like I'd be cheating on Sherlock.
    NYCitygurl and yankee8255 like this.
  8. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    I only saw the pilot and it was so bland and boring that I decided not to waste my time watching the rest of it.
  9. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Ugh, hal, I regret to inform you that you are dead to me. Don't give in, Rachel. I saw the pilot at Comic Con, and it couldn't even hold my attention for one episode. It's not a Sherlock Holmes show. It's literally just another boring, unintelligent CSI edition that they slapped some famous character names on. I can't imagine two more boring portrayals of interesting people than Miller and Liu give.
  10. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    Chris and I most emphatically agree with Rachel on this issue!!!
  11. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    More than anything, my loathing of Lucy Liu makes it a certainty that I'll never watch.
  12. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    I saw a little bit of the episode with Vinnie Jones, but he didn't seem to be talking at all which made me sad so I stopped watching.
  13. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
    Which one? :(
  14. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    If anything the Sherlock in Elementary more resembles Dr. House than the source material. I haven't watched much, but I hear it gets better after the first episodes.
  15. Juliet316 Streak for Colors Bonanza Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    And wasn't House based off of the Sherlock Holmes mythos in the first place?
  16. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Yes, I think that was his point. But at least House is played by Hugh Laurie who can make the character interesting and entertaining in spite of how boring and formulaic the show itself is.
    Juliet316 likes this.
  17. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    If your reasoning for not watching Elementary is "It's not as good as Sherlock", then your reasoning is flawed.

I don't look on it as "Sherlock Holmes". I look on it as a detective show where the lead character has serious flaws. And on that premise, I find it quite engaging. Miller is superb, and the stories are well-written.

Plus it's always good to see Aidan Quinn.
  18. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    Seeing as I posted it immediately after sj's post (which I also liked), I thought it was obvious that I meant her. But yeah, I probably should've used her username. :p

Then why call the main characters "Holmes" and "Watson", if they bear no resemblance to the original characters at all? (And this has nothing to do with their decision to make Watson female. In fact, I would've preferred a version in which BOTH Sherlock and Watson are women, if it was well-written and well-acted. At least that wouldn't have looked like a blatant copy of "Sherlock".)
  19. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    No, my reasoning for not watching Elementary is that it's not a good show, period. It's the same reason I don't watch CSI, NCIS... any of the other generic, awful CBS crime shows. It's really boring and cliche and aimed at people who are 60 years old and only want to see the same stories over and over. It's not at all interesting to me and it's not very good writing or acting. It has nothing to do with my feelings about Sherlock. I've been lambasting CSI for many years prior to them starting a Baker Street edition of it.
    Last edited by solojones, Jan 21, 2013
    Mar17swgirl likes this.
  20. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    You are of course entitled to your opinion. But I don't think that you can say " it's not a good show, period", "It's really boring and cliche and aimed at people who are 60 years old and only want to see the same stories over and over", or "it's not very good writing or acting" after just one episode.

But it's your call. Doesn't bother me in the slightest if others don't want to watch it, or give it a fair chance. :)
  21. Lugija Force Ghost

star 4
    The differences between Sherlock and Elementary can be shown just by looking at how they are being distributed in my country:

Sherlock: Named "New Sherlock", played on a commercial-free government-owned channel with BBC stuff like Poirot, Marple and HBO series
    Elementary: Named "Holmes NYC", played on a channel with american series, commercials, reality-tv and lifestyle shows

EDIT: No, I can't do this judging before seeing. It begins tomorrow, I'm going to watch at least the first episode.
    Last edited by Lugija, Jan 21, 2013
    halibut and Mar17swgirl like this.
  22. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    The whole point of CBS procedurals is that the episodes are all basically the same as every crime procedural they've ever done. Because their viewership doesn't like change, they don't like to be challenged and they certainly don't want a show that focuses on characters. The Good Wife is the only exception to this on CBS for twenty years. I know CBS and how its execs work more than well enough to know that I would absolutely loathe watching any more than I already did.
  23. Narutakikun Force Ghost

star 4
    Heresy here:

I've seen Elementary. It's actually a pretty good show. If it wasn't for Sherlock, everybody would be saying that it was worth watching.
  24. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Why? No one says that about CSI. For good reason.
  25. Narutakikun Force Ghost

star 4
    Good, interesting performances from Holmes, Watson, and the always-enjoyable Aidan Quinn, better-than-average writing and storylines, intriguing take on the Holmes mythos.
    halibut likes this.