main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Sherlock - new BBC series from Steven Moffat

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Going to have to watch this.

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Absolutely spot on. Well played!

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I liked that how he actually faked his own death was kept ambiguous, that way Moffat doesn't upset anyone with a particular canon version certain people will hate.

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  4. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    The alternative versions were a glorious trollfest. :D I love how Anderson basically filled in the role of the fans, with all his theories and the Sherlock Lives club - and especially the "I would have done it differently" line. [face_laugh]

All in all, a bloody brilliant episode, couldn't have turned out better. And I was mighty impressed by Mark Gatiss' Serbian - sounded completely authentic and totally fooled me (that is, if it was indeed him speaking - I'll have to rewatch).

5. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    There's an awful lot of this that was similar to Skyfall

6. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

I was thinking more V for Vendetta.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Entertaining episode, especially the meta commentary regarding fan theories (I imagine a horribly-made .gif of the Sherlock-Moriarty almost-kiss is infecting every corner of Tumblr, Facebook, and other sites).

They really gotta stop with the... whaddya call it? Stutter motion? Where the framerate drops for a split second at a time during tense moments. Overused.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  8. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Holmes and Mycroft playing Operation is quite possibly the funniest scene ever.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  9. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Just watched, brilliant.

Question, though - neither of the two versions was actually correct? I thought the second (as the bomb is about to go off) seemed pretty much what i'd expect.

10. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Three versions! And whilst the third is the only one said by Sherlock, there's still more than enough doubt.

Everton likes this.
  11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Except the part where there was a lookalike in the morgue, his account makes by far the most sense of the three. Judging by the parody of a fan reaction ("That's not how I would've done it" or whatever), I thought we were supposed to accept it as the "truth."

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I love that Mycroft has my favorite painting of Her Majesty hanging in his room.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  13. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I took goth girl's as a joke from the start, thus did not count it.

For the final, which Holmes tells, that was pretty much what I and most expected (with solojones's rubber ball trick). But the way it ended made me think maybe it wasn't true, plus Watson asking how he did it at the end implied that it wasn't correct.

14. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Will every series end with some big cliffhanger?

Loved Mycroft suffering at Les Miserables. What was up with Sherlock being really hard on himself in that one scene?

Thought the John and Sherlock stuff worked fairly well. Thought the multiple solutions were fun, and both allows fan speculation but all incorporate three main elements that can stay the same. We probably did see the actual solution, but this was handled so well as to allow the interpretation.

15. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Sherlock & Moriarty giggling like little girls was hilarious. They need to find a way to bring him back!

16. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    The first "scenario" was my favorite. Him busting through the window was pure badassery. I was expecting them to find a way to explain that Moriarty wasn't really dead either. Honestly I still haven't ruled that out. :p

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  17. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Factoid of the day: Sherlock's parents were played by Benedict's real Mum and Dad.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  18. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Dec 26, 2001
    [​IMG]

19. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    And Watson's fiancee is his real life partner of 12 years. (Though I assume most people already knew that. But interesting if you didn't :) )

20. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    That scene with the parents was brilliant, as was the phone call with Mycrodt at the end. Really, all the interaction between the brothers was tremendous.

21. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    They were really good actually. Are they actors?

22. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Dec 26, 2001
    Yep, they both have pretty extensive IMDB pages.

Timothy Carlton

Wanda Ventham

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  23. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    The only acceptable reappearance of Moriarty would be in Sherlock's "mind palace", arguing with him and driving him crazy.

Everton and Healer_Leona like this.
  24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Loved it. The crime plot was simplistic and easy to predict, as well as a Guy Fawkes inspired thing that has been overdone. However, the crime wasn't the focus of the episode and I was fine with that. This was a great episode to explore the characters and their reactions and interactions. I suspect the next episode will be where a lot of that setup plays off. And I'm really interested to see how they adapt Sign of he Four since I did that one in my script and thus have a lot of thoughts on it :p

I loved the playful jabs at fans. And I'm fine with the ultimate solve being ambiguous. We may never know if Sherlock was actually there or if Anderson is going nuts. However as you probably know the version we hear Sherlock give is pretty much exactly what I theorized (down to the squash ball! Muahaha :p) . It's the simplest one and the only one that makes sense. But it's OK if we may not know for sure.

The only thing I didn't like (aside from a weak plot that was marginally disappointing but not that big a deal)... if Sherlock's explanation stands, I don't like the fact that Mycroft released the info about Sherlock to Moriarty as part of a plan. I think that's a poor dramatic choice since the notion of Mycroft's arrogance getting the best of him and causing Sherlock serious danger is very compelling. If it's explained away too much then Reichenbach becomes a bit too false. The back and forth with Moriarty should be considered a real challenge. And Mycroft's mistake is in character and interesting. Sherlock made mistakes in Scandal and I liked the parallel. But since we don't have confirmation that all or even any of Sherlock's explanation was true, I can keep thinking Mycroft did screw up. Unless they address it more later.

Oh, I also loved the little Scandal reference... when Mycroft says something about not missing companionship and Sherlock says, "How would you know?" That was an exact reverse of the moment Sherlock tells Mycroft that sex doesn't alarm him and Mycroft gives the exact same response. Interesting to me. I still would love for Sherlock to have worked with Irene in some capacity while taking down Moriarty's network. She would have lots of info and owe him. And I would love to have her back again.

Excited to learn more about Mary. I liked her attitude, intrigue, and response to Sherlock. Very much as I imagined she'd need to be. Ready to see more Sunday. But I'm also sad that they are showing episodes so close together since it will be done so soon.

25. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Is it just me, or is it too soon for the next episode?

EDIT: Not because it will be over too soon, but there hasn't been a chance for the first episode to sink in yet