Amph Sherlock - new BBC series from Steven Moffat

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    EXCITED. :D

So, does that mean that Martin Freeman is flying back from New Zealand soon? Maybe then they'll have enough time to find a new Fili, while Martin is filming Sherlock... [face_thinking]
  2. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    Can't wait. The series was broadcast here in January and I fell totally in love with it. I've never liked Sherlock Holmes, but this one had me hooked from the start.
  3. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    What's not to like about Holmes? He's the ultimate detective for good reason.

THere are other great fictional detectives too, but Holmes will always be the top dog.
    Random Comments likes this.
  4. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    I've never been a TV Holmes fan, to be honest. I've never seen an adaptation for the screen that really kicked ass. But this incarnation has absolutely nailed it.
  5. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    I also think that I've felt that you have to like Sherlock Holmes, and that in turn made me negative towards it, and then we read this shortened versions in English in school, and I guess that's not the best way to experience Sherlock Holmes.
  6. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Good haul for Sherlock at the BAFTAs tonight. Best Drama Series and Best Supporting Actor (Freeman).

Teeny bit annoyed that neither Benedict Cumberbatch nor Matt Smith got the Best Actor gong. That went to Daniel Rigby for his portrayal of Eric Morecambe in Eric & Ernie... which was pretty bloomin' good anyway.
  7. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
    This recently became available on Netflix instant, and I have started watching it. Really good stuff.
  8. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    With reference to A Study in Pink and The Great Game this is an understatement. :p
  9. Im_just_guessing Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Well just watched the whole thing. Judging by the shakiness of the lasers, those snipers had some really unsteady hands. Useless snipers, no danger.
  10. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    You shouldn't underestimate the dangerousness of a drunken sniper.
  11. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
    Except that it was pretty obviously the driver very early on(like, way before it dawned on Sherlock). But, even though when they stopped the cab and it was a tourist and then they didn't even bother to think it could be the driver, it was great.
  12. darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost

star 5
    Just finished the third episode. Overall excellent.

I thought The Great Game was a bit disjointed, other than that, really awesome. Moriarty was great but that cliffhanger....

My ranking goes

A Study in Pink
    The Great Game
    The Blind Banker
  13. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    The first series is being repeated on BBC ONE from 20th July.
  14. Chewgumma Chosen One

star 7
    That was the one side effect of having to rewrite the episode from 60 minutes to 90 minutes. In the original pilot Sherlock figures out it was a taxi driver and he reveals his theory during the restraunt scene.

Mostly the rewrite was better than the original pilot but that moment really suffered in my opinion.
  15. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    I think it suffered in the opinion of everyone with opinions, but the 90 minute format is still deliciously delicious. Each one a real stand out event. I can accept the odd flaw for the preservation of feature length adventures on TV. Much better that than making a feature length movie (or 'movie') that's subject to the destructive whims of the studios... i.e the Downey, Jr film... which I hate.
  16. tom Chosen One

star 6
    i watched this a while ago, but i'm late to this thread. i absolutely loved the show, but i thought the cliffhanger was really infuriating. especially the whole "oh i changed my mind" thing, which seemed really out of character for moriarty after they had set him up as this really meticulous mastermind. was the idea that he was just messing with them?
  17. Chewgumma Chosen One

star 7
    I watched an interview with Steven Moffat today and apparently they decided to go against the original characterisation on purpose, to create something unpredictable in what is otherwise a straight up adaptation. Where the original Moriarty was meticulous and calm the modern Moriarty is supposed to be a bit unstable and creepy.
  18. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    I think we need to see more of Moffat's Moriarty to work out whether he's one or the other. One can be meticulous and yet still give the illusion of capriciousness.
  19. tom Chosen One

star 6
    yeah that's what i'm thinking too. we didn't really see enough of the character to know if his sudden change of heart was out of character or not. clearly i was bringing my own expectations from previous holmes incarnations. but it's good to know that moffat was consciously trying to go a different direction.
  20. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    'going in a different direction' is one of Moffat's glorious tics.
  21. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    "I can always predict the fortune cookies."
  22. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    I love that line. :p Oh, Benedict... [face_love]
  23. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    A Study in Pink had it's repeat on BBC ONE this evening. Although I only caught the last 45 minutes after getting back from the cinema I was still captivated.
  24. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Guess what I'm watching tonight? :p
  25. Chewgumma Chosen One

star 7
    50 greatest Harry Potter moments? :p