main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Sherlock - new BBC series from Steven Moffat

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, Jul 21, 2010.

1. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    ...and it should totally be Irene Adler, killing the romantic fanfic of a million fans! I can hear their screams already (apart from GoT fans, who are used to that sort of thing).

2. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007

There's so many things though. And he's just had a lot of experience going deep cover type stuff himself to dismantle Moriarty's network. I don't know, it just seems odd that this one time Sherlock notices absolutely nothing.

3. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005

The only "hack" was that he bribed a few key people (like a security guard at the Tower of London). At least that's the strong implication made during the rooftop scene at the end of Reichenbach.

jp-30 likes this.
  4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Haven't seen this mentioned by anyone, so I will air this.

I have a...wierd Red Dwarf-related thought that feels right, and puts "Billy Wiggins" into the spot for other Holmes' brother.

My Sherlock Holmes experience scratches the surface, so I have no idea who this Colonel Sebastian Moran is, that I seen mentioned on here.

The name resonates with my memory, though, due to a partial namesake.

I recall a Red Dwarf episode where Starbug (small spaceship) encounters the ink of a suicide squid in an ocean, and the crew group hallucinate that they were in an AI machine, and have all emerged back to their real lives.

Lister was a Colonel Sebastian Doyle, and Rimmer his destitute tramp half-brother, "William Doyle, of the Boston Doyles, old money. Oh God, I'm Billy Doyle and my cologne is 'Eau de Yak Urine.'"

Very likely that this is pure coincidence, and I'm talking rubbish. Didn't mean to derail the thread, if this counts as that.

Thanks to a Back To Reality script.

5. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    What did I just read?

Volderon, yankee8255 and jp-30 like this.
  6. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't think that many fans would be bothered on the shipping front: Adlock doesn't appear to be as big a ship as Johnlock and Sherlolly (and it's not like blood relations have deterred Holmescest).

7. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Yeah. Sorry.

8. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    As mad as that was, it was nice to see Red Dwarf mentioned. :p

9. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I feel like that post should be copied into EnderSigh's drug legalization thread as a warning.

10. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    WTH is Red Dwarf?

11. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Smeghead.

12. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    The Sherlock App was released in the UK. Not the cheapest app (£3) and the gameplay is fairly formulaic. But videos and voiceovers from Cumberbatch, Freeman, and Gatiss make it all the more enjoyable. And the music is naturally wonderful.

One of the minigames is particularly annoying in later levels.

I'd definitely recommend it if it was £1.49.

13. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  14. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    From what I've watched of Elementary it seems like a typical uninspired CBS crime drama, but this dude's attacks on Sherlock seem spot on.

15. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    It's the height of ridiculousness to compare the two. They are both different interpretations of the same source. Neither is "original". It's silly to say one interpretation is poor because you prefer another.

It's quite acceptable to enjoy all of them without comparing.

16. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    From the article: "Everything in Sherlock revolves around Sherlock." Yes. It does. Good.

17. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    And BTW, Sherlock > Elementary

But that doesn't mean that Elementary is bad because of that.

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The article lost me at this line "Operating under the traditional American television model, Elementary is allowed more room to breathe." 'Cause Murica, **** yeah! :rolleyes:

I always hate how people have to compare every adaptation of some work, because ultimately the argument will boil down to "the one I watch and/or like more is the better adaptation". I don't watch Elementary, but I don't really care how good or not it is. I might eventually watch it, I might not. Can I watch it without comparing it to Sherlock? Probably not, but I won't let my views on Sherlock color my viewing experience for Elementary.

halibut likes this.
  19. halibut

Aug 27, 2000

This, this, and THIS

(apart from the misspelling of "colour")

The Great No One likes this.
  20. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    The traditional model where if it actually becomes good or watchable in any form it gets cancelled and if it's horrible it will last for years and years.

Never saw the show, and I am pretty sure their heart is in the right place and it might be an interesting character, but I already want to complain about how messed up it is that they are willing to make a girl Watson but not Holmes.

21. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Or, you know, you could just watch something without any pre-conceptions.

Juliet316 and VanishingReality like this.
  22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't think Sherlock is flawless at all, but that piece did little to convince me that a CBS-style crime procedural-- and there are still plenty of those around-- is superior.

23. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Because some series have Watson as the stronger main protagonist over Holmes, and I just incited a huge Holmes vs Watson debate?
    That's possible.

24. halibut

Aug 27, 2000

Who cares? Judge each interpretation on its own merits, not what others do. I don't see people dissing Basil, the Mouse Detective!

25. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    What blasphemy is this? You could imagine people "dissing" Basil, The Great Mouse Detective!?

Unfortunately, autocorrect hates proper British spellings, and constantly tries to change mine, at least.