main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Sherlock - new BBC series from Steven Moffat

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    You got me. :(

2. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    The Blind Banker much better than I remembered it. (I didn't buy the DVD so that I could enjoy them when they were repeated)

"I said can you pass me a pen."

Couple of things:

3. I'd forgotten that in establishing scenes of the London skyline the foreground is always in focus but the background is not. Not sure if I worked out why that was.

4. Anyone know where I might get a copy of the theme music? I reckon it would work well as a ringtone.

5. EDIT: Never mind re: the music. Got it. Wasn't looking under the right name. :p

Random Comments likes this.
  6. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    If you have 79p you can purchase the 34 second main theme at Amazon. :)

EDIT: Didn't see your edit. [face_laugh]

7. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Are you referring to the tilt-shift shots?
    [image=http://inkwelldesign.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/tilt-shift-sherlock1.jpg]
    [image=http://basedigitalphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/How-to-make-a-tilt-shift-photography.jpeg]

If so its a popular photography trick called Tilt-Shifting. Its a technique that a lot of people who are into photography and videography are playing with these days. Its an odd effect that makes what should be a rather large scene appear very small almost model like. I would suspect that its meant to make London despite its size and the speed at which people move feel especially small to Sherlock who is processing the information around him at a greater rate...we all seem like tiny people living nearly irrelevant lives to him.

8. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Yeah classic example of posting before engaging brain. :p

Anyway, got it as my ringtone now. :cool: Just need someone to phone me now.

9. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    Its tilt shift photography. To make it look like a model.

edit: NINJAD

10. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Yes, that's it. I definitely agree with your creative explanation for its use, but didn't know anything about it.

Thanks! :)

EDIT: I am also grateful - but not as much - to IJG. :p

11. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Pushed back to 2012 :(

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/1003843/sherlock_series_2_pushed_back_to_2012_transmission.html

12. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
  13. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    This is why British television sucks. It's only THREE EPISODES per season, and they can't even get them to broadcast in a timely manner. It's lazy. I know the whole quality of quantity argument but this is RIDICULOUS.

14. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    For the record, it's 3 1.5hr episodes per season (which is the equivalent of about 7 episodes of an hour-long US drama), and the production value is ridiculously good. I've seen feature films that are shorter and not as well produced as these episodes. AND both of the leads are playing significant characters in the Hobbit. It's a bit disappointing to see it pushed back, but this is hardly commonplace among British TV, and it's far from "lazy."

15. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
  16. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
  17. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Aug 26, 2004
    British TV shows average about 8 episodes of programming per year. This is the height of laziness. And it's not just on the production side. British actors are lazy as well, inevitably dropping out of shows after just a few episodes (Eccelston in Doctor Who, Richard Coyle in Coupling), as if it's too much of a bother to commit a 5 weeks of their year to filming - of course this attitude changes as soon as they land an AMERICAN TV show, and suddenly they're happy to relocate halfway around the world to film 50+ episodes.

18. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    ... are you trolling?

19. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Aug 26, 2004
    I'm only saying what I feel. I haven't heard a good enough explanation yet as to why British TV programming is so short. 10-13 episodes I can live with, but 3-7 with a one-off holiday special (maybe), is, quite frankly, insulting. They shouldn't even call it a show. More like a series of movies-of-the-week. A television show is a serial that viewers follow from week to week and watch as it develops. To cut them as short as they do and then ask their audience to wait for a year and a half is despicable.

20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i've heard you make those arguments before and i think you have a point when it comes to a show that has lower production value and presumably gets by on a smaller budget, like the it crowd or black books or even the office. but i think sherlock is a different beast, and really is a case of quality over quantity. and yes, it is like a series of movies but i don't see it going out of it's way to portray itself as something other than that.

21. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Before I left London yesterday, I visited 185 North Gower Street.

[image=http://www.bluealert.co.uk/images/221b_2.jpg]

22. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    What sort of sad person travels around London taking photos of locations used in BBC series written by Steven Moffatt???

23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Nobody in their right mind! :p

In my defense, it was on my way to Paddington from Waterloo!

Erm... due to severe delays on the Bakerloo Line.

Random Comments likes this.
  24. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    What does the blue plaque say? "Sherlock was filmed here"? :p

25. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I wish! :p

It's actually informing passers by that 'Italian patriot' Giuseppe Mazzini (1805-1872) once lived there.

26. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    This tweet today:
    Paul McGuigan (@paul_mcguigan)
    05/08/2011 15:45
    Day off today. In London getting ready for a week of shooting. Hope you're having a lovely day. #sherlock
    Paul was the director of A Study in Pink and The Great Game (the best ones!), and is of course involved in the new episodes. I can't help but wonder whether 185 Gower Street will shortly be required again. Maybe I missed filming by only a week. :(

27. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Ohh, it's great that he's directing Sherlock again! :D I loved his camera work in TSIP and TGG.

28. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Part of me wonders if he can make south of the Thames look gorgeous, his camera work is that good.[face_laugh]