main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Sherlock - new BBC series from Steven Moffat

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I do believe you have stated an enjoyment of Sherlock and Doctor Who in the past. So this would be the third time.[face_mischief] :p

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I miss Parkinson, that was a serious interview show which was about the star and finding out about more than the current project they have going on. I like Ross and I think he's funny, but his show is too much about him. Graham Norton's show is stupid, but it's supposed to be and he focuses on the guests (and the audience) and not himself.

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    At the risk of drifting too far off topic, that's why I like Ross. Parky always felt like little more than a vehicle for whatever the celebrity is there to plug... because that's what they're there to talk about. Ross dismantles that and - although it necessitates swinging some of the focus back onto himself - it was never so easy for the celeb to follow through on the instructions given to them by their PR people.

4. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I completely forgot about Benedict Cumberbatch on Jonathan Ross!

5. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    New QI beats Wossy any day in my book.:D Even if Wossy does have Sherlock as a guest.:p

6. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I also forgot about that QI documentary last night! :p

7. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    His answers seemed to crush all hopes of having him on Doctor Who... :( :( :(

8. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Which is odd because I swear I've seen an interview with him on youtube where he practicaly confirms something may be in the pipe line.8-}

9. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    The only other possibility is that they are planning something for him in DW and he's being deliberately misleading/giving contradictory information/trolling the fans. :p

10. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    The thing is, hasn't he been denying playing The Doctor? He apparently wants to be something recurring in the show, but doesn't want to be the main focus of media attention. That would leave him playing a villain. If this is the case I sooo want rumours of Omega's return to be true, he'd be fantastic.:D

11. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Yeah, there were various rumours of him appearing in Dr Who, even in this series finale as the main villain.

It's good that both this show and the Sherlock Holmes movie are around, it keeps the Great Detective in the public eye more.

But Parky used to talk about their private lives and their childhood and other stuff, which is why it was interesting. He tried to get under the shell and talk about things maybe they found uncomfortable, like a proper journalist.
    Ross only mentions the current project and then goes on to ask stupid embarassing questions or talk about himself.

And yes, QI is a much better show. It's nice that it has featured Cumberbatch and indeed David Tennant in the past.

12. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I've re-watched that bit in Wossy's show and you're right - Wossy asked him "Were you offered Doctor Who? ... Would you like to do it?" and I assume he meant the role of the Doctor. (This is really confusing when people insist on calling the character "Doctor Who"... [face_frustrated] Doctor Who is the show, the main character's name is just the Doctor!)

I'm now angry at Wossy for not asking whether Benedict was offered a role IN Doctor Who.

Back to square one, I guess... :p

Random Comments likes this.
  13. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
  14. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    What QI Documentary???????

15. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, I know that one.

Those interviewers should really pay attention to how they phrase these questions. :p

16. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    This one.

17. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
  18. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
  19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It's as if everyone realized all at once that this thing was in the public domain. I could make a Sherlock Holmes movie if I wanted :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

20. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I know Sherlock Holmes is public domain. :p I just find the timing of a new modern Sherlock Holmes TV drama to be... convenient.

And American TV does have a slight habit of remaking acclaimed and popular TV shows in case the accents in the original frighten off the hoardes. I'm still quite bitter about the Being Human remake myself.

Of course this could surprise me. I had written off the BBC mini-series to be absolute crap until I saw it, the same may happen here.

Random Comments likes this.
  21. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well, American TV has already had a modern Sherlock Holmes show for years. It's called House.

-sj loves kevin spacey

22. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    So, they couldn't just buy the rights to broadcast BBC's Sherlock, right? Because that one is actually good? o_O

23. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Can't have British accents in a show about a British detective. That's just not right.8-}

Oh, Moriarty might be British. If we're lucky.[face_laugh] It does raise the point, if they are filming in London, why not just show the BBC show? It would be cheaper I bet. And if they are filming in New York, just why?

24. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I'm just baffled why they're even trying. It won't be original any more, because BBC have already done the "Sherlock Holmes in modern world" thing. It won't be better than the BBC series, because... well, it just won't. And people will inevitably compare it to Sherlock, so why bother when it's a lost case, anyway? It's a waste of money, really.

It will be just like the crappy remake of Life On Mars...

25. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    That's the problem. No matter how well executed it might be (and I suppose one can't rule it out) it won't have the novelty factor that's so critical in embedding a new show with its audience. Moffat et al got there first, and it's going to take possibly the best show in the history of television to supplant it.
    I don't even want to think about it. *shudder* Harvey Keitel as Gene Hunt may have seemed superficially correct, but in reality it was horribly... horribly, wrong. Not least because only one man could ever play the character.